Ice Brady out for the season | The Boneyard

Ice Brady out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The problem with many injuries isnt when they come to UConn. The problem starts before they get to UConn because of the work they put in over the months and years before they come to UConn. In many instances players over work themselves without taking a break and work hard. This leads to stress weakening and over use of certain parts of the body. Eventually at some point the result is injuries. So next season Paige and ICE are back . For this season we have to get on track without them. We still have a very talented team.

Reaction Score
Brady is a freshman and has been at Uconn what?, a few months. To think the training methods in that short of time contributed to a dislocated patella makes very little to no sense to me. I believe with all the other injuries, namely talking Bueckers, Fudd, and Ducharme; I believe all 3 came to Uconn with somewhat of injury histories. I am more apt to think it more related to the miles on the body, specifically joints, at a young age combined with focusing solely on one sport from that same young age.

Jim

Reaction Score
@UConnCat - why dislike the post above? This is a very real question. This many injuries is just not even fathomable.
It is fathomable when you have players going all out, all the time. Obviously no one wants to see players getting hurt. But it has also been said that Geno's practices are at a different level than other schools. It is easier to stay healthy if you are not diving onto the floor for a loose ball, or not mixing it up underneath the basket. Without comparing the activity being done, you can't compare the injury counts.

Reaction Score
Just crushing news so close to the start of the season, wishing her a full and speedy recovery. I was really looking forward to seeing her play.

Amari, I think we're going to need you more than ever now.....you can do it.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this statement is accurate as all teams have injuries and they would be more likely to happen in early season training as that is when the body is not yet adjusted to the activity. In my own experience I only really questioned training methods if there were an unusual number of the same injury type - for example hip pointers or hamstring pulls. I had both those happen and changed methods to strengthen those areas and improve flexibility. A dislocated patella is a rare injury (in my 35 years of coaching I saw one) and would not be the kind of thing that one would train to prevent. D1 basketball is a contact sport that exposes players to a lot of stresses that most young players are not used to.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Many injuries IMO are not caused by trainers, or UConn practices. Its all the practice and workouts and training you do over the years. I know for me hitting 300-500 golf balls a day and playing almost everyday caused me back neck and leg pains. It didnt happen right away but over the years it took its toll. LOL you think I would learn. Nope I still hit a few hundred golf balls a few days a week and play through the pain .

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
This!!! The mass injuries started when we swapped trainers. After this many major injuries there is a clear connection!
Coincidencecausality

If that is not immediately obvious, here's an example that may help illustrate it:

Maine has, I'm told, the oldest population of all the states.
Lincoln County has the oldest population in Maine.

Lincoln County also has an unusually large number of Subaru Forresters, mostly dull silver.

So there is a coincidence of loads of folks in my age cohort—not exactly spring chickens—and loads of Subarus painted the same color. You can assume either (1) getting old requires that people buy silver Subarus, or (2) owning a Silver Subaru causes people to age or (3) having a silver Subaru extends life expectancy.

All three assumptions are hogwash. There is a strong association or coincidence, but zero causality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom