Ice Brady out for the season | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Ice Brady out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Questioning is ok, but I don't believe Uconn has more injuries than others.
What Uconn has --is VISiBILITY---more people from around the country follow the Uconn Husky Women
This is a good point. I also think there’s a little recency bias at work. Last season was a miserable season for injury, so our collective sense is that we are snake bit beyond the norm.

I do think that when you’ve had an incredibly bad run of “luck“, it always bears examination to see what can be done to shift the odds in your favor. I would be amazed if that kind of internal review/thought process has an already happened.

Reaction Score
Many injuries IMO are not caused by trainers, or UConn practices. Its all the practice and workouts and training you do over the years. I know for me hitting 300-500 golf balls a day and playing almost everyday caused me back neck and leg pains. It didnt happen right away but over the years it took its toll. LOL you think I would learn. Nope I still hit a few hundred golf balls a few days a week and play through the pain .
Yea, TonyC---you are right, of course. Sometimes, you bump your knee hard side way and--the knee cap moves too far---you can't protect every one from everything----it's rotten, bad for ICE bad for UConn and terrible for the Far Flung Uconn fans, they were expecting to cheer for ICE this year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
@UConnCat - why dislike the post above? This is a very real question. This many injuries is just not even fathomable.
Oh geez. When the body makes contact with a hard object or lands from a jump in a way the bidy isn’t designed for, things happen. If these were all muscle strains maybe conditioning would be an issue. I guarantee a torn ACL and a dislocated knee cap (i have one that is partially dislocated that is manageable, ) have zero to do with improper conditioning .

Reaction Score
What is the difference between a trainer and a strength and conditioning coach?

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I thought the ---reality was----old people in Lincoln County Maine are Subaru's with silver hair.--
You may well be right. I'll ask around and get back to you.

Meanwhile, your comment raises a really, really important question. Is that apostrophe possessive or what the Brits call greengrocers' apostrophe?

My own silver(and mud spatter) Subaru died of old age about a year ago, and I'm still kicking, so the suggested link is tenuous. I would have replaced it with a new(er) Subaru, but none were to be had within a hundred miles. The local Jeep dealer had something on the lot, so I am now a year older and get around in
something fire engine red. Beggars can't be…
Oh, the humanity!:p

*green·gro·cer's a·pos·tro·phe

noun
INFORMAL•BRITISH
noun: greengrocers' apostrophe
an apostrophe placed incorrectly before the final 's' of a plural noun (e.g. a pound of potato's ).
"the Apostrophe Protection Society will have to work vigorously if it is going to have any effect on the greengrocer's apostrophe"

AFAA63AF-64AB-4BC3-B396-B628E0A50FC5.jpeg

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This is a good point. I also think there’s a little recency bias at work. Last season was a miserable season for injury, so our collective sense is that we are snake bit beyond the norm.

I do think that when you’ve had an incredibly bad run of “luck“, it always bears examination to see what can be done to shift the odds in your favor. I would be amazed if that kind of internal review/thought process has an already happened.
When people run and jump and bump into each other or land on floors, things happen to body parts, sometime very bad things. The way to prevent it is prohibit running and jumping and bumping into things.

Reaction Score
When people run and jump and bump into each other or land on floors, things happen to body parts, sometime very bad things. The way to prevent it is prohibit running and jumping and bumping into things.
Might want to consider making knee appliances a mandatory piece of equipment.

Reaction Score
Questioning is ok, but I don't believe Uconn has more injuries than others.
What Uconn has --is VISiBILITY---more people from around the country follow the Uconn Husky Women--the Boneyard is testimony to that belief.
These young ladies, such as ICE, played for most of their 12 years of school in AAU, high school, some middle school. You can't tell me they had better Trainers all that time than Uconn has now.
Defecation Occurs --and with women in their late teens it seems they are more likely to pick up an injury.
Question but when anyone states ---more than other schools--use facts, I don't have them.

Very true. It's easy to assume UConn have issues with proper training when all you hear or see in the media is news about their injuries.

Some examples:

South Carolina had issues with injuries throughout last season, where they had to rely on Amihere as a PG. Currently, per the South Carolina thread, it's been noted that they're currently dealing with injuries too and some starters are not at full strength.

Iowa lost a player last season due to ACL and another this year. Iowa State seems to be bitten by the injury bug too, as they had a few players out at different points of last season. It's currently reported some of their post players are sidelined for an unknown amount of time.

UCLA has had horrible luck with injuries the last few seasons.

There are a lot of teams going through injuries. We're just aware of a few because of the reputation of the program. If you go through other fan forums, you'll see there are many experiencing these challenges every season.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Feel for this kid … 3000 miles from home to play ball at her dream school and now injured for the season. Hope she heals quickly in body and mind.
glad you brought this up. for me, not that it matters, i am most concerned with the potential effects of this episode on ice's psyche. obviously, i don't know how she will react -- maybe her personality is such that she can take it in stride -- but it clearly could be a problem emotionally, even more of a problem than the injury to her body, especially for a young kid far from home with high expections that have been dashed. she surely needs her teammates to rally around her, and i assume they will, but even with that, the mind is fickle, and it could pose a bigger issue than the damaged knee.

BTW, i also notice that there's been a lot of chatter about caroline's hip. i'm confident that this issue has been resolved and won't hinder her performance in the future. i am not sure about her head trauma of last winter, however. that is a bigger variable and is unknown. i'm hoping that the repeated blows to her head won't have any long-term effects, but they may. (remember the stanford guard, jamie carey, who was lost to the cardinal because of head trauma, then transferred {to Texas?} in order to continue her very successful career.) head injury is unpredictable; hip injury, not so much.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You could do all kinds of protective gear, mandatory face masks,, shin guards whatever and still not cover all the risks. I had two hoops injuries not even on the varsity level and i don't know what could’ve prevented them. Broke my ankle after landing with a rebound on another guy’s foot (and i lI don't know why that diesnt happen more often) and got tripped from behind and sprained both wrists breaking my fall.

Reaction Score

Except that knee appliances don't help at all in preventing non-contact ACL injuries - and for females those are close to 75% of the total.

Reaction Score
The knee protection we have today affects the player’s ability. I recall Chloe Bibby wore a knee brace the season after her ACL injury, she just was not the same player with the braces. When she transferred to MD she no longer wore the brace and her play improved however, she never reverted back to the level she had before the injury. Recovering from an injury is not just physical and IMO just getting the confidence back that the injury will not happen again is a real challenge.

Reaction Score
If I heard correctly all the UConn players who were injured over the last 5 years ALL drank milk. Isn't it time to ban milk from their diets!
I heard it was Mountain Dew.

Reaction Score
You need to remember that women competing at this level is still relatively new and their bodies put different stresses on the joints than a man's body does. As the woman's game improves so will the information on how to prevent injury. One of the biggest issues is that many do not get the strength work in High School that the guys do so tend to be doing workouts early in college that they have never done before. Injuries like Dorka's or Ice's are flukes and the only prevention I can think of is teaching how to fall! Basketball players will always fall or step on another player's foot. Unfortunately just part of the game.

Reaction Score
How do you get that? Diving for balls and ACL injuries? I'd like to hear your thought process on this.
Back to the primary point. Its been documented that women have more ACL and ankle/foot injuries than men. Many women's teams have been transitioning to more flexibility related programs rather than strength, as it appears is UConn's focus. Don't want to overreact per some of these posts, but flexibility can aid in preventing many joint injuries.

Reaction Score
What is the difference between a trainer and a strength and conditioning coach?
An athletic trainer is involved in rehab and treatment of injuries (and also prevention) where a strength and conditioning coach is more involved in physical fitness, conditioning, workouts related to the sport being played.

Also note that videos we have been shown are focused on strength. That in no way shows all the workouts. If you look there are many flexibility things being done. The older population always stretched before a game or practice. That was proven to be a terrible idea and caused many injuries as loose muscles were not prepared for explosive activities. The pregame things I see UConn doing were exactly the latest thing we were taught to do to get ready for explosive activities. Pure strength is bad, pure flexibility is also bad. Need both at the appropriate times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A personal anecdote about sprains from landing on someone else's foot and flexibility. I agree that this is unpredictable. But I suspect flexibility training could help with some injuries. I remember a photo from the U Miami football weight room under Jimmy Johnson that said "Better Strength through Flexibility," and it struck me how forward thinking it was.

I was never a varsity athlete, but I was very active in soccer, baseball and basketball leagues outside of school, and I never sprained an ankle, though I rolled them over on many occasions. As a child, I studied martial arts and this lasted for many years and it included an intense focus on flexibility and stretching. It's to this experience that I attribute how I've never sprained an ankle.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Tearing of ligaments or damaging other parts of the body can happen anytime. In 1992 I stepped of a curb and partially tore my ACL. I was in severe pain, but still drove myself to Landstuhl Army Medical Center to get my leg looked at. When the doctor came into see me after X-rays had been taken, he asked me who brought me to the hospital, I told him I drove myself.

He looked at me and stated I should call someone because I needed an operation to fix the tear and have them bring some clothing and toiletries due to the fact I'm going to be in the hospital for at least 3 days.

They put me in a walking cast after the operation and had my leg elevated for the first two days, on the third day they allowed me to go home with my heal elevated 3 inches to keep the pressure off the tear and was that way for 6 months. When they took the cast off I had another 6 months of PT.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If I heard correctly all the UConn players who were injured over the last 5 years ALL drank milk. Isn't it time to ban milk from their diets!
I've been saying this for years, not in this specific context. All people who don't come to a complete stop when making a right on red . . . don't use turn signals . . . don't give a thank-you wave when you yield . . . in other word, all criminals have been proven to have drunk milk before they "went bad."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A personal anecdote about sprains from landing on someone else's foot and flexibility. I agree that this is unpredictable. But I suspect flexibility training could help with some injuries. I remember a photo from the U Miami football weight room under Jimmy Johnson that said "Better Strength through Flexibility," and it struck me how forward thinking it was.

I was never a varsity athlete, but I was very active in soccer, baseball and basketball leagues outside of school, and I never sprained an ankle, though I rolled them over on many occasions. As a child, I studied martial arts and this lasted for many years and it included an intense focus on flexibility and stretching. It's to this experience that I attribute how I've never sprained an ankle.
A lot of it is innate physiology too. I do a lot of trail running, so roll my ankle all the time. I also played competitive volleyball, football, and baseball, and less-competitive basketball and soccer. I can't count the number of times I've rolled an ankle. When I'm alone in the woods and step on a root, I often hear the celery cracking. But none of that ever led to a sprained ankle or even a sore ankle.

Leave it to a plain-old home misstep, though. Five years or so ago, I was carrying a bag of sheep poop down the stairs to the basement. I couldn't see anything, and stepped just an inch or so too far, and had to really pull the front of my foot up hard to keep from taking a nosedive. Felt like someone stabbed me on the top-outside of my foot. I sprained two ligaments, couldn't run for a month.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No way was it from the UConn farm. Probably snuck in from a rogue Gamecock

Reaction Score
Do you think a knee cap injury happens with no contact at all? Unlikely. Or an ACL? Injuries in general often involve contact. Look at how they play. If the ball hits the floor they are taught to dive for it.

Not sure if you were really being serious with the above comments, but I am going to assume that you are. There are numerous studies that indicate over 70% of female ACL injuries are non-contact. Not sure if there are any studies on kneecap injuries, but an orthopedist friend says that the majority of them are non-contact as well. That ties in with a lot of anecdotal evidence on the web as well.

Reaction Score
Just crushing news so close to the start of the season, wishing her a full and speedy recovery. I was really looking forward to seeing her play.

Amari, I think we're going to need you more than ever now.....you can do it.
This sounds right. Ice was being spoken of as someone who could step into the middle and be productive. That's a big deal w/out a back-up for Dorka, who is herself injury prone. Definitely pushes Amari into the mix more firmly. Why has she gotten so little consideration up until now? Wasn't she the 5 of the future not long ago? Feel like we're snake-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom