I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker

Reaction Score
Are you serious? this team has more talent in its little finger than any team in WCBB. Geno believes he wins championships with seven players and he proved it year after year. He fine tunes the seven players game after game throughout the season for the NCAA run until he is confident that they can handle anything that is thrown at them. In games when he sees that the opponents are totally over matched, he substituted freely, sometimes at the half, sometimes later.

There is no question that he uses the whole season to get the 7 players ready for the championship run. The other players will get their turn the next year when the current seniors graduate. If they can handle the wait, their time will come. Even the best freshmen or top ranked freshmen have to wait for their time unless out necessity he has to throw one or two in there, see Bria Hardley and Stef Dolson, or Kia Nurse.

Geno coaches to win championship. The 7 players will get all his attention. If a freshman is lucky to be one of the 7, she will get more playing time. If not, she waits. See Gabby, Pheesa, Tuck, Jefferson etc...

Meg and possibly MC are the favorite to be included in the magnificent seven (maybe 8 this year). The others will see no time at all when the NCAA tournament starts.

I think we all agree that the starting 6 this year has " more talent in its little finger than any team in WCB" I think the point some people are raising is concern over the progression of not just the freshman but also the sophomore class. One would think that the soph class would be further along? Maybe one would think that MW would be further along? We can also imagine CW and ONO will have there own learning curves. Again, I'm sure it will all work out like it always does, we will see..

Reaction Score
So , for the sake of discussion...(no argument)..we lose our freshman class, and move forward with our current sophs, maybe the unprecedented success changes
Steel on steel? Here I thought these were young women playing a game that we are talking about. Lastly, when the pitch to come to UCONN is made to "a" consensus, national player of the year candidate , I wonder if its said, that if you have a lousy practice you may not play in any games.

I think this is an interesting post. I feel badly for AEH and that it did not work out. I really liked her game and thought she was showing confidence and a solid shot. AEH transferring really surprised me. If you asked me which freshman would transfer it would not have been her. That said if she was not happy then its for the best. Its possible she would vent to her fellow classmates and maybe that isn't the most productive vibes as your struggling to figure things out.. Clearly speculation there. If these classes do not "fire" its very possible we take a step back right? Its not any single teams birth right to be 34-0 or 33-1 every year. Just ask Tennessee.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I usually don't like to add to these threads where fans question Geno's handling of a player because my opinion is that is why he makes the "big bucks". If UConn decides that he isn't doing the job they won't renew his contract (just about zero chance of that happening). 11 championships tells me he must be doing something right. As far as handling individual players...every player is different, everyone has their own "hot buttons". Geno is a button pusher, always has been. Has he made some wrong calls over the years with regards to certain players? Charde Houston comes to mind. However, I don't think there is anyone here who was a fan during the Houston years who wouldn't agree that she was puzzling with regards to what management style would have worked. Sometimes these things just have to come under...it's a tough job and that is why you hire the best to do it. Now, aside from this thread I would like to throw something else into the mix that I think is interesting. Isn't there a freshmen (I think she might be one of the new bigs) who took issue with Meg being the number one pick of the class and was vocal about it who is either on the Texas team or was from a Texas high school and went somewhere else? If I am not mistaken, I think she called Megan out in the media. I bring this up because if she is on the Texas team it sure would give Meg some added incentive to have her break-out game.

Reaction Score
I love the UConn Women and I have been a huge fan since ‘92 (when I was 10) but geez - the #1 recruit in the country is only getting garbage time minutes! I’m sure this is not what she envisioned when she decided to come to UConn.

Anybody else upset about this?
How can one question the GREATEST coach ever???? Not me!!!!

Reaction Score
I love the UConn Women and I have been a huge fan since ‘92 (when I was 10) but geez - the #1 recruit in the country is only getting garbage time minutes! I’m sure this is not what she envisioned when she decided to come to UConn.

I am upset with this thread. Everyone knows you play based on your practice

Reaction Score
Who should he go up to and take the ball out of their hands and give it to MW? KLS, Gabby, Napheesa, Kia, or Crystal? And when he does it, what will he say other than .. "well she was number 1 recruit last year, we owe it to her for picking us..." Three of those 5 were voted pre-season all americans. Kia has paid her dues for 4 years and has earned her time on the floor and MW isn't on Crystals level to run the PG position. She just had the misfortune of being born at a time where she was within striking distance of this group of UConn players. With Gabby and Kia graduating, there will be more opportunity for her next year, but for now she needs to realize she is low on the totem pole and take this time to learn from some amazing athletes. And not for nothing but so far this season other than ND, every minute after half time has been garbage minutes because the team is constantly up 20+ at half time.
Agree 100% with this.
Geno never has a 10 player rotation on a regular basis. You cant play your starters only 1/2 of a game in most games and then expect them to play a full game against the better teams

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
You don't want baby Bruney? Ok.

Those are your words, not mine. Your implication was in the next couple of years we will not have the talent needed to compete. As I said, I disagree.

Reaction Score
I am upset with this thread. Everyone knows you play based on your practice

Those are your words, not mine. Your implication was in the next couple of years we will not have the talent needed to compete. As I said, I disagree.

I certainly think were going to compete. I think 2 of the 3 members of the soph class will be big contributors. Im mildly concerned with the freshman class with there development and the transfer of AEH. Thus I'm a bit worried about how the team may shape up 2 years down the road. Not with us being a good team or competing but being a typical 34-1 type Geno team. Again I'm not saying we are in big trouble or trying to paint a domesday scenario. It was just something to note and to keep an eye on.

Reaction Score
Not with the way UConn practices. You learn in practice, you apply what you've learned in game.

I keep hearing practices are much harder than actual games.

Reaction Score
Now, aside from this thread I would like to throw something else into the mix that I think is interesting. Isn't there a freshmen (I think she might be one of the new bigs) who took issue with Meg being the number one pick of the class and was vocal about it who is either on the Texas team or was from a Texas high school and went somewhere else? If I am not mistaken, I think she called Megan out in the media. I bring this up because if she is on the Texas team it sure would give Meg some added incentive to have her break-out game.
Rellah Boothe. She has said she will win multiple NCs at Texas. From Florida, so probably had Kenny Kallina building her up. Currently warming the bench for the Longhorns. Some question her conditioning. Would love to see Megan have a great game tomorrow!

Reaction Score
I think we all agree that the starting 6 this year has " more talent in its little finger than any team in WCB" I think the point some people are raising is concern over the progression of not just the freshman but also the sophomore class. One would think that the soph class would be further along? Maybe one would think that MW would be further along? We can also imagine CW and ONO will have there own learning curves. Again, I'm sure it will all work out like it always does, we will see..
I believe we have a few ( stir the pot) folks at least I hope that is why they post such rot

Reaction Score
How in the heck did Geno manage to survive 33 years, 11 NC games and a Gampel roof that required to be reinforced with additional support so all them banners won't cave the roof in. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes. We're all going to be upset in two years if these two classes(frosh, soph) cannot perform up to Genos standards. It's not out of the question we take a temporary step backwards. Right now I'm kinda worried for next year and very worried for the year after. Let's hope CW or ONO are impact players or we Land some BB type talent soon.
Reading a couple of your other posts down the thread, I take it you are not trying to be funny? Because truthfully, the bolded line is one of the funniest lines I've read in quite some time.

Samuelson,Collier, Stevens, Dangerfield and hell even me or you and I'm not worried about next year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Samuelson,Collier, Stevens, Dangerfield and hell even me or you and I'm not worried about next year.
Three, potentially four, POY candidates on that team.

Reaction Score
As an observer from afar I see in this thread two main camps - Emotional feeling for bench players vs Experienced Geno followers who accept reality (Geno's reality.) Old school, hard nosed decision making vs concern about individuals mental health is another way to look at it. I understand both sides, however, many posters have clearly stated that Geno knows what's best. I have to agree with that sentiment.
Motivation of players is an understated skill. Carrot or stick? Positive or Negative? Geno is the stick and CD, with the upperclass players, are the comforters.
Why is Geno different than any other coach? The man has an Iron Will when it comes to demanding a certain level of behavior/play. Look around WBB and you will see almost 100% of other coaches --they let the players play the style they brought from high school. Other posters have mentioned this. The girl from Texas A&M could step in and continue her HS style of shoot and play a little D. Geno refuses to back off when a player is not developing a minimum of skills. He does not care if she is #1 or # 4. Pheese did not play much as a frosh in big games.
Someone mentioned steel on steel. IMHO Geno puts stress on the situations and the players to see how they react. Do they learn and grow or do they wilt? If they wilt under his practice stress and other created situations then they will probably wilt in a big game moment. Very, very few coaches can hold every player to that standard. Geno has that in his bone marrow. And I believe CD does too. They know what "Championship Level" looks like. In November or December Geno states "the team is not there yet." Where? Championship Level! He knows what it looks like.
He is so hard nosed (read his upbringing to understand) that he takes the chance of losing the player. His confidence level and success rate is so high he feels good about the style. Since Geno and CD hand pick the few players that completely fill the UConn standards, they know the rate of success is very high.
As we all know, Geno is coaching for Championships. The day to day feelings of bench players are not the driving force, not even a little bit. The other coaches and players fill that bill.
For me personally, as a player and coach, I understand about playing time and positive motivation. I, like many others, would not have the Iron Will to keep pushing and using the entire Geno style. He is different. And it WORKS.
Just my humble opinion.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"You hone steel against steel. "

Or against stone, or leather, or glass, or . . . . "

Reaction Score

Yes i agree, Geno playing his games. And it is getting old now. I'm sure all the die hards don't want to hear this. I hope we don't start having recruits leave because of this. Yes it has been working in the past but things change and so do players. She is instant help off the bench so why mess with her? I also think Coombs should be playing more, she is a good talent and can contribute if given the chance.

Reaction Score
Yes i agree, Geno playing his games. And it is getting old now. I'm sure all the die hards don't want to hear this. I hope we don't start having recruits leave because of this. Yes it has been working in the past but things change and so do players. She is instant help off the bench so why mess with her? I also think Coombs should be playing more, she is a good talent and can contribute if given the chance.
Zzzzz Zzzzz Zzzzzz

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You are doomed to disappointment if you're waiting for Geno to change.

I don’t care how good you are. If somebody says, well, you just benched Stewy for 35 minutes in the Memphis game a couple of years ago. Yeah, I did. That was to motivate her for the South Carolina game the following Monday? No, it wasn’t. Stewy was acting like a 12-year-old. So I put her on the bench and said sit there.

It doesn’t matter on our team. The other coaches might say you can do that because you’ve got three other All-Americans. I get that, I understand that. But I’d rather lose than watch kids play the way some kids play. I’d rather lose. And they’re allowed to get away with just whatever and they’re always thinking about themselves. Me, me, me, me. I didn’t score, so why should I be happy? I’m not getting enough minutes, why should I be happy? That’s the world we live in today, unfortunately. And kids check the scoreboard sometimes because they’re going to get yelled at by their parents if they don’t score enough points. Don’t get me started

Here's what UConn's Geno Auriemma looks for in recruits that every other team should want

Reaction Score
I hope no one modifies their successful coaching style because they're afraid a player might leave. Then what's next - the players get to vote on whether they want to practice today, or else they boycott?

Last week Cowboys' backup wide receiver Brice Butler told the media that if he doesn't start next year (basically meaning the Cowboys have to get rid of Dez Bryant), that he's not coming back. If Bill Parcels was their coach right now he would have cut him before the end of the day.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Yeah, maybe Auriemma should leave instead. :p

JMO but if players choose to leave because of Auriemma's coaching style then good riddance.

Reaction Score
Reading a couple of your other posts down the thread, I take it you are not trying to be funny? Because truthfully, the bolded line is one of the funniest lines I've read in quite some time.

I'm a bit worried about guard depth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom