I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker

Reaction Score
I'd say disappointed.

For all the talk of incredible depth coming into the year, this is basically a 6-player team right now. Same as last season.
p

I'd like to have seen AEH, Walker, Lexi, Touly, Coombs to hit the floor scoring, defending and being the stars they may become---ain't going-a happen. We are still in the development phase of this year---who shall evolve and be a factor in the run for the Championship?? Walker I'm certain. Touly--I fear with out something drastic happening, not this year. Coombs has the best shot of following Walker into the world of glitter, this year but not right away.

I'm a basic worry wart--so I'd like to see a roster of 12 that can do everything all the time--and of course sub for the starting 6---unlikely.

Reaction Score
Freshman year is hard on most players. They are being expected to perform consistently every day. I like all three of them. I see sparks of greatness. Over time, the sparks will become fires that will warm the hearts of the fans on this board...patience..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Though one game is different from multiple games, if Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck can get benched, then ANYONE can get benched.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We can't be fans from afar, and coaches too. No man can serve two masters. Geno knows his players much better than we do. He sees them everyday in practice, we don't. He gets input about each player from his coaches and the trainers that we don't. IN GENO I TRUST!!! The man knows his players, and knows what he's doing. There is ALWAYS a method to his madness. He knows where Megan needs to be in November, and the best way to make sure she gets there.

That's very important! Either you trust Geno or you don't! Remember when we all thought Geno Benched Gabby in the 2nd half of the Notre Dame game because of her play, only to find out later that she was suffering from a migraine? He knew something we didn't. Even Rebecca Lobo thought she was benched, and said so during her TV post game comments.

You can't say he's the greatest WCBB coach ever, but then have an issue with the way he's coaching his (players) team. His way may be unconventional to some, but it works. If it didn't, why do so many coaches request permission to observe his practices? :eek: Every player is different, and responds to stimuli differently. One of the many quotes from the immortal "Wizard of Westwood", John Wooden said: "The bench is an excellent teacher".

I trust Geno and his staff to have Megan were she needs to be next season, so that she can be promoted to a starter, she's not there yet. There will be 2 vacancies (Gabby & Kia graduate) in the starting lineup next season. Megan is on track to be promoted to starter. Azura (if she stays) should be the other (we'll debate this over the summer). I expect Megan to make a leap next season similar to that of Crystal this year. I don't think I'll be disappointed. I'll leave you with the immortal words of Aaron Rodgers................R-E-L-A-X. Cheers. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I love the UConn Women and I have been a huge fan since ‘92 (when I was 10) but geez - the #1 recruit in the country is only getting garbage time minutes! I’m sure this is not what she envisioned when she decided to come to UConn.

Anybody else upset about this?
Not upset at all about this. Who’s minutes would you like her to take? She will get more minutes next year, if she earns her them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Who are we to question the greatest basketball coaching staff of all time?
We’re fans and we want the team to be the best it can be. Not everyone agrees with the way Geno is going about getting the team to its peak, and that’s ok.

Reaction Score
Everybody got time today which was great for the starters and the bench....................hopefully that will continue at least through the conference season...............Walker has missed some sitters and also her defense has been a bit lacking.............comes not from lack of skill but from lack of confidence..............I'm not worried she's leaving, she's got way too much to prove to give up on the team or herself................

Reaction Score
I love the UConn Women and I have been a huge fan since ‘92 (when I was 10) but geez - the #1 recruit in the country is only getting garbage time minutes! I’m sure this is not what she envisioned when she decided to come to UConn.

Me

Reaction Score
Don't you think the only way a player can get seasoning is by playing?

You are exactly right, players only get better at basketball by playing basketball. The frosh players are playing two hours each day against some of the best women in the collegiate game, and that is how they gain “seasoning”. The rookies go from a high school season, in which they could dominate by simply being superior physically to going against some of the best in the game on a daily basis. I am not privy to the factors involved in the minutes MW gets in games, nor do I need to be. What I do know is that the “seasoning” process that this staff employs has worked out well for many, many years for a multitude of players, and that is not an opinion, but a proven fact.

Reaction Score
I'd say disappointed.

For all the talk of incredible depth coming into the year, this is basically a 6-player team right now. Same as last season.

And this blog created "all the talk".....we have a tendency to talk ourselves into something and then be disappointed when it doesn't turn out that way. Need to relax and let the coaches coach.

Reaction Score
Bird was only on campus for a month so he never played for knight
Wasn’t Knight the same coach that left Charles Barkley off the Olympic team, after he lead the team in rebounds (and couldn’t be stopped on offense) during the selection process?

Reaction Score
I would say that I'm concerned. I can't recall another #1-ranked HS AA coming into UConn and not making a big impact her freshman year. Certainly they can have difficulties. But half-way through the season being benched in a blow-out while the rest of the bench plays? Wow!!! I've never seen that from a #1 at UConn.

I think Coach Geno is concerned as well. We all come up with the cliche that "UConn is not for everyone." But it seems that we do lose some very good players, and not always for the right reasons. AEH is gone, and she seemed to show signs of real brilliance! Indeed, she was named New York's top player last year.

The lack of development of the freshmen has been a concern to Geno, and he hasn't been kidding. And Walker is not excluded.

Really hope she isn't deeply disillusioned. Need her to really come through as a star for the team. But it's not showing up so far. Indeed, she appears to be in a funk.

Fingers crossed!!!

I agree re a #1 at this point freshman year. I think the way she looked on the court today is worrisome. She is not just another freshman. This is last year's best high school player, looking not very engaged today. Lack of confidence, frustration ? Certainly a positive is that she has looked very good at times, against good teams. Seems like you might let her play thru her funk. Yikes!! my apology for saying that.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Nah.

After 33 years, 11 national titles, Olympic and world championships, dozens of all-Americans and a dazzling array of elite WNBA performers, the evidence seems clear that Coach Auriemma knows both how to win and how to develop talent.

From "the worst pivot" in women's basketball to the current point guard, whose "first two shots were a 50-footer and an air ball," Geno has poked and prodded his players to reach for their potential. Most of them wind up grateful for the experience--see Rebecca Lobo Hall of Fame induction speech--and form a bond with him that lasts a lifetime.

Trust in the process, Fly Guy.

Reaction Score
Two Points ( from 2 cents):
Houston had a record of 14-4 going into todays game. How did they look playing against our starting line-up? Pretty ugly. If the starters remained in, they may have won by 80 points, in an away game! So, in practice, why would we expect our freshman to "Shine", when really good teams can't even do it. Practice performance to get playing time may be a bit discouraging.
All our opinions are uneducated ( unless you are part of the program), so our opinions are just that, one opinion. Its not like we can discuss why we lost a game? Solar elipses happen more often

Reaction Score
Remember that this is UConn and not almost anywhere else. A top ranked incoming freshman has a lot more to learn at UConn than the equivalent freshman has to learn elsewhere.If it were any other coach, I might be inclined to think that maybe Geno should cut her some clack and let us all see when she can do. But this is Geno , and in this case, I think we should not be worried about his stellar w-l record, but his record developing talent, and the answer is simple: He's the best. Let's see what develops with Walker (who, I agree, shows a lot of talent).

Reaction Score
Don't love to see her (or anyone else) drop in the rotation from where they were earlier in the season.

But on the other hand, I didn't love her indifferent play for the minutes that she was on the court today.

I'd like to see her get up to spec again; not comfortable with a team that is essentially 6 players against good competition. 7 is the minimum comfortable number, IMO.

Reaction Score
I'd say disappointed.

Ok, but this Bench wins the 4th qtr. Last year's bench won nothing. That speaks well for next year.

Reaction Score
Ok, but this Bench wins the 4th qtr. Last year's bench won nothing. That speaks well for next year.

we have this discussion almost every year regarding poorly performing freshmen in the fourth quarter yet somehow most of these freshmen play to a much higher level as sophomores and again as juniors................if they keep working and don't lose faith these kids will figure it out...................

Reaction Score
The camera showed Meg on the bench sweating profusely - tells me she played hard - C.D. was sitting next to her "coaching her up" (good sign). If Meg "fits in" on this team the other players will "have her back" and all will be good in time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom