I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker

Reaction Score

Yes. We're all going to be upset in two years if these two classes(frosh, soph) cannot perform up to Genos standards. It's not out of the question we take a temporary step backwards. Right now I'm kinda worried for next year and very worried for the year after. Let's hope CW or ONO are impact players or we Land some BB type talent soon.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If Z does not declare for the WNBA, UCONN should be in good shape.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm puzzled as to why people think she's struggling. Because Eric and Meg said so? Because she didn't hit three threes in five minutes?

Because Mikayla was first freshman in today? I seem to recall several posters thinking MC would be the first freshman off the bench because of her (perceived) defensive ability.

Because she didn't play that many minutes in a 60-point blowout? Lexi and Molly and Touly are on scholarship, too.

Will this discussion change if she has a strong game against Texas? Will be interesting to see.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Two Points ( from 2 cents):
Houston had a record of 14-4 going into todays game. How did they look playing against our starting line-up? Pretty ugly. If the starters remained in, they may have won by 80 points, in an away game! So, in practice, why would we expect our freshman to "Shine", when really good teams can't even do it. Practice performance to get playing time may be a bit discouraging.
All our opinions are uneducated ( unless you are part of the program), so our opinions are just that, one opinion. Its not like we can discuss why we lost a game? Solar elipses happen more often
It's all about player development. His record in this area is unmatched. You hone steel against steel. That has always been Geno's way and I personally don't argue with success, especially when it's unprecedented.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Yes. We're all going to be upset in two years if these two classes(frosh, soph) cannot perform up to Genos standards. It's not out of the question we take a temporary step backwards. Right now I'm kinda worried for next year and very worried for the year after. Let's hope CW or ONO are impact players or we Land some BB type talent soon.

Really! Are you serious? Land some BB type talent soon. I could not disagree more with your post.

Reaction Score

We can agree to disagree. By the way can I start off with I just read an odd post on another thread from a poster that I disagree a lot with on many basketball subjects. Whether he is mad at me or not is irrelevant. But I get the feeling there are some that believe that you can't post to another poster and disagree with their opinion? The reason I bring this up is that we've disagreed quite a bit -- but you're okay with that. aren't you? I mean isn't this board also up so posters can share differences of opinions? If the opinions are different it means someone must be right and someone must be wrong for some opinions (some opinions can never be right or wrong). What I'm getting at is -- I hope even though I disagree with you-- and have in the past -- "we're good," right?

With that said I'll add you and milfordhusky and many others were right with Danger calling her preseason she would be the starter. I was wrong. While Danger is among my fav players, I never thought last year to this year that her defense would be good enough to start over AZ. What a game she played today. Numbers don't show it totally but I thought her defense was special today.

Now pertaining to this Meg Walker issue- you are using the word "if." (and also addressing other players over-and-above the thread created discussing Meg)). So for more than just talking about Meg - IMO Barring injuries or transfers Danger is a lock to be elite. The sophomores of Kyla or Molly are/ and imo never have been as “critical" to the program. They are insurance. And right now Kyla seems to be moving ahead and seems like she'll be fine with a natural progression. She appears to be a bonus and evolving. But even if she plateaus as not able to play vs the elites - for me Meg Walker has already made her bones. Her games vs ND and UCLA showed what she is. IMo we can just sit back and watch and enjoy. And marvel how Geno will push the right buttons. As he has done over-and-over with players that have many elite multiple attributes.

Walker is a lock to be a terrific player. Heck-- what was Gabby or Stewie doing vs the elite team such as ND early on in their frosh year? Yet we're supposed to hold Walker to a higher standard than them? Stewie couldn't compete well at all vs the elite teams early on. As long as AZ comes back next year and I expect Batouly to get better each year-- right now without any other transfers and just looking at the 2018 class UCONN will have at least sr Dangerfield, upper-class juniors Coombs and Meg Walker and get the soph jump from CWill -- our 1/2/3 positions (or maybe Meg can play the 4) will be the best or 2nd best in the nation. And this doesn't include the player you have mentioned quite a bit- Lexi Gordon who imo looks good. Damn glad to have her. This stuff about the freshmen is just noise from the coach who demands perfection.

This year we also heard a lot of noise about this team will have a huge problem that could affect team chemistry because the players wouldn't be happy about minute distribution. Which imo was always a silly thing to worry about. Next year we'll hear noise as to "who will be the leaders." The year after we'll hear noise about our frontcourt. Then somewhere in there - the minute distribution noise will reappear. It's all noise. As long as Geno is getting elite recruiting classes UCONN will be fine. You probably won't see 111-0 etc. But the team will be fine. Ignore the noise and enjoy watching many of the players continue to grow. Bottom-line is that there is a reason why Meg Walker was recruited by UCONN and played well vs ND and UCLA. She is a physically gifted player who will be coached by one of the best if not the best coach ever. Ignore the day-today to noise.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Heck-- what was Gabby or Stewie doing vs the elite team such as ND early on in their frosh year? Yet we're supposed to hold Walker to a higher standard than them?

Gabby was extremely productive early on against non top-25 teams. I think we'd all like to see Megan play at a similar level against such competition.

Reaction Score
Gabby was extremely productive early on against non top-25 teams. I think we'd all like to see Megan play at a similar level against such competition.

Yes. But we could go back and forth on this all day, right? I think we would have liked to see for example Stewie or Gabby help UCONN more in the games they got beat than they did early on in their careers too.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yes. But we could go back and forth on this all day, right? I think we would have liked to see for example Stewie or Gabby help UCONN more in the games they got beat than they did early on in their careers too.

Sure. Stewart struggled again a top-3 Notre Dame team and Williams didn't play against Stanford. In this case it's disconcerting that Geno's bothered enough by her effort in either practice or games that he's barely putting her on the floor now.

Reaction Score
I've noticed the way she runs. Probably not in Uconn shape yet. Also seems like she probably needs the ball to see her go to work. Right now she's learning to contribute other ways and she's struggling. Nothing that unusual. I also in my opinion believe that the way her game is structured now, she isn't the usual type of players we get. The only other player I felt this way about was Charde Houston. Give her the ball in a half court setting and she probably embarrasses you, but the full court up and down just isn't her. Hopefully Geno works his magic. She's a big strong guard with an offensive skill set, but running isn't her greatest attribute. She'll figure it out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You don't want baby Bruney? Ok.
I think the disagreement is regarding the implication that there's no basketball talent currently among the freshmen.

Reaction Score
I think the disagreement is regarding the implication that there's no basketball talent currently on the team.

Ok. So I did not say theres not basketball talent on the team. I did say that from watching all the games and listening to mostly everything Geno says that I am worried about our Freshman and Sophmore classes. Im looking for the impact players from those classes that will lead us to the impressive seasons that we have become accustom too. I think next year we are going to be fine. We still have Z, Lou, Danger and Pheese. I would hope that with a very important off season Megan Walker will grow into what we hope a number one rated player in the country would. The point of my post is I'm STARTING to get mildly concerned that I haven't seen what I hoped out of Walker, I see AEH leaving, I haven't seem much out of Molly, BC, MC or LG..... I have seen some nice play out of Irwin but I've told you all that I think Kyla is a very good play that just needed some burn. Of course we will probably be fine and this off season we will see lots of growth from the underclassmen and we will mix in two really nice looking players in ONO and CW and all will be just fine.

Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree. By the way can I start off with I just read an odd post on another thread from a poster that I disagree a lot with on many basketball subjects. Whether he is mad at me or not is irrelevant. But I get the feeling there are some that believe that you can't post to another poster and disagree with their opinion? The reason I bring this up is that we've disagreed quite a bit -- but you're okay with that. aren't you? I mean isn't this board also up so posters can share differences of opinions? If the opinions are different it means someone must be right and someone must be wrong for some opinions (some opinions can never be right or wrong). What I'm getting at is -- I hope even though I disagree with you-- and have in the past -- "we're good," right?

With that said I'll add you and milfordhusky and many others were right with Danger calling her preseason she would be the starter. I was wrong. While Danger is among my fav players, I never thought last year to this year that her defense would be good enough to start over AZ. What a game she played today. Numbers don't show it totally but I thought her defense was special today.

Now pertaining to this Meg Walker issue- you are using the word "if." (and also addressing other players over-and-above the thread created discussing Meg)). So for more than just talking about Meg - IMO Barring injuries or transfers Danger is a lock to be elite. The sophomores of Kyla or Molly are/ and imo never have been as “critical" to the program. They are insurance. And right now Kyla seems to be moving ahead and seems like she'll be fine with a natural progression. She appears to be a bonus and evolving. But even if she plateaus as not able to play vs the elites - for me Meg Walker has already made her bones. Her games vs ND and UCLA showed what she is. IMo we can just sit back and watch and enjoy. And marvel how Geno will push the right buttons. As he has done over-and-over with players that have many elite multiple attributes.

Walker is a lock to be a terrific player. Heck-- what was Gabby or Stewie doing vs the elite team such as ND early on in their frosh year? Yet we're supposed to hold Walker to a higher standard than them? Stewie couldn't compete well at all vs the elite teams early on. As long as AZ comes back next year and I expect Batouly to get better each year-- right now without any other transfers and just looking at the 2018 class UCONN will have at least sr Dangerfield, upper-class juniors Coombs and Meg Walker and get the soph jump from CWill -- our 1/2/3 positions (or maybe Meg can play the 4) will be the best or 2nd best in the nation. And this doesn't include the player you have mentioned quite a bit- Lexi Gordon who imo looks good. Damn glad to have her. This stuff about the freshmen is just noise from the coach who demands perfection.

This year we also heard a lot of noise about this team will have a huge problem that could affect team chemistry because the players wouldn't be happy about minute distribution. Which imo was always a silly thing to worry about. Next year we'll hear noise as to "who will be the leaders." The year after we'll hear noise about our frontcourt. Then somewhere in there - the minute distribution noise will reappear. It's all noise. As long as Geno is getting elite recruiting classes UCONN will be fine. You probably won't see 111-0 etc. But the team will be fine. Ignore the noise and enjoy watching many of the players continue to grow. Bottom-line is that there is a reason why Meg Walker was recruited by UCONN and played well vs ND and UCLA. She is a physically gifted player who will be coached by one of the best if not the best coach ever. Ignore the day-today to noise.

HoopHuskee Let me first say I really enjoy your posts and you can disagree with me anytime. I think these boards should not just be for when we all agree on something or just giving platitudes, or saying how awesome a player is or the team is or how the coach is a god and makes every right call.... I think as long as its respectful its all good to have a back and forth. I have trolled other boards both men's and Women's and I honestly think this board is policed very very tightly. Its like when college basketball started enforcing the freedom of movement and everything started becoming a foul, or in football how you cannot touch a receiver without getting a pass interference foul..

That being said addressing your post I mildly disagree that Megan Walker as made her bones. Listen clearly she is highly rated, and certainly looks the part and has gotten the most opportunity of all the underclassmen. Just in saying that has to tell volumes that she's earning that playing time. I have certainly watched flashes of what she can become, and yes I think the Flu set her back. As far as being an impact player vs a real nice player, I think that is the question for me. Will she be a force? a leader? one of the best players in WCB? IDK, but I cannot tell you she most definitely will be..... I saw more from Stewie, Lou, Maya, DT at this point, but listen we will see. Im NOT saying she's not going to be good or great, I'm just starting to get MILDLY concerned.

I don't think theres any chemistry concerns with the team, I never felt there would be. I knew the starters( 6 of them) would get there minutes and then the underclassmen would fight to get theres. As I just posted to NAN, I think Geno is concerned with the underclassmen. I never heard him harp so much on how behind they are. These are not my words, they are his. Don't you see the look on his face when the bench is in, he's physically pained. Listen, as we discussed Walker has a ton of potential, kyla( who I loved since day one) has shown to be a leader out there and is giving solid minutes. If I was the coach she would be getting more minutes. Im worried about every other bench player on the team. Also you know the incoming freshmen will take time to adjust next year even if they are great..

As you said, lets sit back and see. Some times I will throw stuff out there that just popped into my mind. Either way Im glad you responded to my post and I always welcome your input your a good poster.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? this team has more talent in its little finger than any team in WCBB. Geno believes he wins championships with seven players and he proved it year after year. He fine tunes the seven players game after game throughout the season for the NCAA run until he is confident that they can handle anything that is thrown at them. In games when he sees that the opponents are totally over matched, he substituted freely, sometimes at the half, sometimes later.

There is no question that he uses the whole season to get the 7 players ready for the championship run. The other players will get their turn the next year when the current seniors graduate. If they can handle the wait, their time will come. Even the best freshmen or top ranked freshmen have to wait for their time unless out necessity he has to throw one or two in there, see Bria Hardley and Stef Dolson, or Kia Nurse.

Geno coaches to win championship. The 7 players will get all his attention. If a freshman is lucky to be one of the 7, she will get more playing time. If not, she waits. See Gabby, Pheesa, Tuck, Jefferson etc...

Meg and possibly MC are the favorite to be included in the magnificent seven (maybe 8 this year). The others will see no time at all when the NCAA tournament starts.

Reaction Score
No doubt about it, I’ve gotta stop hanging around The Boneyard! Until now, I was really enjoying my favorite team’s undefeated season, its “apparent” unparalelled artistry on the floor, and what I mistakenly thought was its inevitable march to NC #12. I honestly had no idea how much we had to be concerned about. At the moment, I’m not only unable to continue to enjoy it with unfettered glee, I’m now positively terrified about the 2021-2022 season! I used to think that this Geno fellow had a pretty good handle on player development and that most first and second-year players would demonstrate remarkable improvement as they progressed under his tutelage. Now that my friends here have pointed out that this dynamic has ceased to be operative for this particular group of players, fear has replaced pleasure as the primary condition of my fandom. Sucks!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Are you serious? this team has more talent in its little finger than any team in WCBB.

No disagreement with most of your comment but I would say the talent gap is not as large as you state. I think a few teams like Baylor and MSU rival us in individual talent. What sets us apart (hopefully) from those teams is the way we play as a team, our earned confidence and the preparation of our coaches in scouting etc.

Reaction Score
It's all about player development. His record in this area is unmatched. You hone steel against steel. That has always been Geno's way and I personally don't argue with success, especially when it's unprecedented.
So , for the sake of discussion...(no argument)..we lose our freshman class, and move forward with our current sophs, maybe the unprecedented success changes
Steel on steel? Here I thought these were young women playing a game that we are talking about. Lastly, when the pitch to come to UCONN is made to "a" consensus, national player of the year candidate , I wonder if its said, that if you have a lousy practice you may not play in any games.

Reaction Score
I think HCGA was continuing his quest to get her ready for the big ones. She played...but he took her out in 4th quarter. She has missed two layups but that wasn't the issue, per see.

When she came out, CD was coaching her up in the bench. When Gordon hit her 3, she was just as excited as the rest of the bench.

She'll be fine. It's a long season...and we need her to play and contribute in the big games coming down the pike.

Reaction Score
A little nervous about posting this but it is a forum for all of our opinions so here goes. One of us, Ron, is sometimes " put off" because he can be too acerbic and public with his comments and the other, Vida, feels he knows what he's doing and you need to be tough to maintain this level of excellence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom