I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker | Page 6 | The Boneyard

I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker

Reaction Score
Maybe the only one who SHOULD be upset is MW herself. She works hard she gets in...she strings along good practices she gets game time. It's hers to be upset or not about, what we feel means nothing. Whatever she feels, she didn't come to UCONN to just take it...we'll see her on the floor soon enough. She's a fighter
I hope you are right about, " she is a fighter." Her facial expression and body language communicate a different emotion. Her play, yesterday, was awful. Maybe against Texas she will get a chance to shine. But there can't be but one practice between yesterday's game and Monday and, if practice is where minutes are earned, I don't see her earning much court time. I hope she returns next year as a " new player," much as Crystal has. Otherwise, this year seems to be headed down the drain for her, and for the team.

Not that anyone ( except Kyla ) did anything meaningful from the bench. Camara looks like a wounded warrior who should just sit out the year, have surgery and come back rejuvenated next season ( I am not saying I am correct...only that her appearance seemed a struggle for her ). Molly is the world's worst offensive player. She gives up obvious opportunities to drive to the hoop, for dishing off a terrible pass and turning the ball over. It is like she would rather have an assist ( that really isn't there ) than score a basket for herself. As though that would be the wrong thing to do. The " confidence" Geno talks about wanting his young players to demonstrate is simply not there.

The guard from Georgia has the strangest shot I have ever seen. When she sets up ( say, she is open for a three ), the ball is below waist level. There is immense ( on a relative basis ) distance between her eyes and her hands as she lines up the shot. Then, she kind of flings the ball. In my view, it is easily blocked if she is defended, and has about no chance of going in the basket. She reminds me of someone trying to convert with the long-distance, underhand set shots we used to see about 50 years ago. She even missed two free throws, and would have done better with the underhand shot. She may prove to be a good ball handler, defender, passer and scorer on fast breaks ( lay-ups), but her outside shot seems hopeless.

I hope I am alone in this observation, because if I am right we have a freshman guard whose upside is limited. And a player who never should have received the high ranking she earned. So, please, tell me I am wrong. Tell me she was among the top three point shooters in the nation as a HS senior. Tell me something. Anything.

Reaction Score
That being said addressing your post I mildly disagree that Megan Walker as made her bones. Listen clearly she is highly rated, and certainly looks the part and has gotten the most opportunity of all the underclassmen. Just in saying that has to tell volumes that she's earning that playing time. I have certainly watched flashes of what she can become, and yes I think the Flu set her back. As far as being an impact player vs a real nice player, I think that is the question for me. Will she be a force? a leader? one of the best players in WCB? IDK, but I cannot tell you she most definitely will be..... I saw more from Stewie, Lou, Maya, DT at this point, but listen we will see. Im NOT saying she's not going to be good or great, I'm just starting to get MILDLY concerned.

As I just posted to NAN, I think Geno is concerned with the underclassmen. I never heard him harp so much on how behind they are. These are not my words, they are his. As you said, lets sit back and see.

This UCONN team –The lead 6 has everything.

Some of our differences in part are that you are looking at (no. 1 recruit) the recruiting number if it has any relevance for a freshman and looking at Geno making generalizations (which he does every year with freshmen) and I don't care Meg's number her frosh year and I'm looking at generalizations Geno makes that he says too but have a different take. What has he said about Meg Walker? I've heard him say in college that she was a great scorer. He goes on to say she isn't greater though than his current crop of stars. These stars - this current crop is spoken of in some respect as all-time great. How is Meg Walker whose top "thing" she did in h/s going to beat out or get more shots than the others when the others are much more experienced and being talked about in some manner as all-time great. Read that thread about "6 all-Americans." OFC that won't happen but the top 6 are "that" good. How many freshmen became all-Americans? So bottom line is the other 6 are better and Meg has to also learn to do other things. Things that she never had to do in h/s near as much. It's not like she has a specialty that the other 6 don't. Geno has said she has to do other things.

And what made me even more pro-Megan was the simple comment we heard Geno say in one of the practices when he said "Megan can really shoot the ball." Geno has told me (us) this. We heard him say it. Yet when we look at Meg's h/s numbers it doesn't appear she is shooter. While we have no illusions that she is a "Lou shooter." The fact he spoke of her shooting as a positive and the fact Meg showed off her shooting so well when games was tight at UCLA - I'm extremely confident that Meg will be terrific. I don't know the answer/the degree to your questions - "Will she be a force? a leader? one of the best players in WCB? - either. The kid Mitchell from Ohio State is a force. So was Plum. But if she is "Morgan Tuck" and not "Kelsey Plum" is that something to worry about? Was Morgan Tuck without a doubt one of the top 5 players in wcbb? No. I don't know what Meg will ultimately become other than I know she'll be terrific. The big games vs ND and UCLA along with Geno's comments tell me that.

As far as Coombs - I think she looks really good. She's behind because as the 2nd best recruit she was not considered coming out of high school as some of the other strong classes were. Thus the relevance that this class is behind has more to do with UCONN fans/ Boneyard fans with too extreme expectations. Take a look at past strong classes- 2nd best recruit Collier. Was Coombs a better recruit? No. What about MoJeff or even the 3rd recruit Morgan Tuck? No Coombs wasn't. So of course they are "behind." The comment Geno is making is noise. But it's his style to keep pushing. Coombs is a tremendous athlete. Several years ago there was a huge concern with guards beating UCONN on penetration. Look at Coombs. She'll be able to defend anything near her size range and more actively create transition. Her other skills - she doesn't look overmatched at all. Every year she is going to get better and better. And as far as Lexi Gordon -- she was ranked by hoopgulrz around the same ranking as Courtney Ekmark. IMO the last two games she looks better than Ekmark. Lexi definitely looks like she can play. She doesn't have to be "a force." or "one of the best." So regarding this class we hear from boneyarders that this recruiting class was supposed to be some super elite class? It never should have been thought that way. That was unrealistic. This current class (and last year's) - from 2nd recruit on is good but not elite vs some of the other multiple player classes UCONN has had. To tear them down for that is wrong for a fan but for Geno – sure. They aren’t as good. He’s right. And imo it’s some of the fans unrealistic expectations that were wrong.

Reaction Score
I hope I am alone in this observation, because if I am right we have a freshman guard whose upside is limited. And a player who never should have received the high ranking she earned. So, please, tell me I am wrong. Tell me she was among the top three point shooters in the nation as a HS senior. Tell me something. Anything.

Okay you asked-- so please don't take offense. I think you're wrong on everything.

Meg Walker already showed you what she was capable of vs UCLA and ND. What did Stewie do early on her frosh year vs the high caliber teams? This doesn't mean Meg Walker is going to be Stewie.

Coombs should never have to be an all-american and/or be an elite scorer. So it's okay if Coombs has limitations offensively. When Coombs is a junior we'll have Dangerfield who will keep getting better. We'll have the sophomore jump from CWill -- and if you are wrong about Meg Walker which I suspect you are -- we'll have upperclassmen Meg Walker who will be much better than you thought. Then add in what Geno is recruiting as frosh-- then why wouldn't it be okay if Coombs is limited but a terrific defensive player? Offense will be covered. UCONN will need elite defense which Coombs seems like a lock to be.

Her shot does look funky. Maybe you are right. But wiht your overall negativity - I mean you are focusing on her missing 2 free throws? Really? No freshman has ever missed two free throws in a row? And if I think you're wrong about Meg - I sort of have to believe your perception of Coombs shot will probably be wrong too. You're mentioning / implying she has no hope. Though you might be right in that her shot may never be. But if she had a shot - she would have been rated higher than 13 on a class that doesn't seem super elite. That's the only think I might give you. But ofc we have to wait more years to decide that yet you seem to have it decided today.

Reaction Score
This UCONN team –The lead 6 has everything.

Some of our differences in part are that you are looking at (no. 1 recruit) the recruiting number if it has any relevance for a freshman and looking at Geno making generalizations (which he does every year with freshmen) and I don't care Meg's number her frosh year and I'm looking at generalizations Geno makes that he says too but have a different take. What has he said about Meg Walker? I've heard him say in college that she was a great scorer. He goes on to say she isn't greater though than his current crop of stars. These stars - this current crop is spoken of in some respect as all-time great. How is Meg Walker whose top "thing" she did in h/s going to beat out or get more shots than the others when the others are much more experienced and being talked about in some manner as all-time great. Read that thread about "6 all-Americans." OFC that won't happen but the top 6 are "that" good. How many freshmen became all-Americans? So bottom line is the other 6 are better and Meg has to also learn to do other things. Things that she never had to do in h/s near as much. It's not like she has a specialty that the other 6 don't. Geno has said she has to do other things.

And what made me even more pro-Megan was the simple comment we heard Geno say in one of the practices when he said "Megan can really shoot the ball." Geno has told me (us) this. We heard him say it. Yet when we look at Meg's h/s numbers it doesn't appear she is shooter. While we have no illusions that she is a "Lou shooter." The fact he spoke of her shooting as a positive and the fact Meg showed off her shooting so well when games was tight at UCLA - I'm extremely confident that Meg will be terrific. I don't know the answer/the degree to your questions - "Will she be a force? a leader? one of the best players in WCB? - either. The kid Mitchell from Ohio State is a force. So was Plum. But if she is "Morgan Tuck" and not "Kelsey Plum" is that something to worry about? Was Morgan Tuck without a doubt one of the top 5 players in wcbb? No. I don't know what Meg will ultimately become other than I know she'll be terrific. The big games vs ND and UCLA along with Geno's comments tell me that.

As far as Coombs - I think she looks really good. She's behind because as the 2nd best recruit she was not considered coming out of high school as some of the other strong classes were. Thus the relevance that this class is behind has more to do with UCONN fans/ Boneyard fans with too extreme expectations. Take a look at past strong classes- 2nd best recruit Collier. Was Coombs a better recruit? No. What about MoJeff or even the 3rd recruit Morgan Tuck? No Coombs wasn't. So of course they are "behind." The comment Geno is making is noise. But it's his style to keep pushing. Coombs is a tremendous athlete. Several years ago there was a huge concern with guards beating UCONN on penetration. Look at Coombs. She'll be able to defend anything near her size range and more actively create transition. Her other skills - she doesn't look overmatched at all. Every year she is going to get better and better. And as far as Lexi Gordon -- she was ranked by hoopgulrz around the same ranking as Courtney Ekmark. IMO the last two games she looks better than Ekmark. Lexi definitely looks like she can play. She doesn't have to be "a force." or "one of the best." So regarding this class we hear from boneyarders that this recruiting class was supposed to be some super elite class? It never should have been thought that way. That was unrealistic. This current class (and last year's) - from 2nd recruit on is good but not elite vs some of the other multiple player classes UCONN has had. To tear them down for that is wrong for a fan but for Geno – sure. They aren’t as good. He’s right. And imo it’s some of the fans unrealistic expectations that were wrong.

I don't have any issue here. Sounds reasonable to me. Clearly we all want the same thing and that's program and player success.

Reaction Score
This thread has gone from ludicrous to inane - we seem to have a couple or three posters who believe the sky is falling and are bound and determined to defend their position no matter what. Most of their theses seem to revolve around the ideas that 1) Geno and CD and Shae and Marissa don't know what they're doing anymore and 2) somehow the group of players they've assembled are either going to run away because their feelings are hurt or they have so little talent that everything will fall apart in a year or two. I suppose some of this is just trolling to get a reaction, but unless these comments are being made by persons with real expertise on the subject (which I doubt), I respectfully suggest you move on. You've expressed your opinion, few agree, and it's tiresome.

Reaction Score
Yes i agree, Geno playing his games. And it is getting old now. I'm sure all the die hards don't want to hear this. I hope we don't start having recruits leave because of this. Yes it has been working in the past but things change and so do players. She is instant help off the bench so why mess with her? I also think Coombs should be playing more, she is a good talent and can contribute if given the chance.
Yes, Geno’s routine must be, as you suggest, “getting old.” The reason I know that is I just overheard Muffett saying the very same thing the other day. Who would know better than she?

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse should be the poster child for a Freshman coming in with no fanfare and little expectation from the BY and perhaps even the coaches, but working hard, and sometimes working through self-doubt, to earn a role as a starter in only her 3rd game (and never looking back), because of her tireless work ethic. I'm sure something along these lines is what Geno and the coaches are looking for, especially from players that were highly-ranked. Or maybe, as Geno has intimated, there are generational differences today that will not be easily overcome.

Reaction Score
I don't have any issue here. Sounds reasonable to me. Clearly we all want the same thing and that's program and player success.

I've been wanting to ask you this question for awhile: Are you a fan of Justine or do you have a real relationship with her ?

Reaction Score
As an observer from afar I see in this thread two main camps - Emotional feeling for bench players vs Experienced Geno followers who accept reality (Geno's reality.) Old school, hard nosed decision making vs concern about individuals mental health is another way to look at it. I understand both sides, however, many posters have clearly stated that Geno knows what's best. I have to agree with that sentiment.
Motivation of players is an understated skill. Carrot or stick? Positive or Negative? Geno is the stick and CD, with the upperclass players, are the comforters.
Why is Geno different than any other coach? The man has an Iron Will when it comes to demanding a certain level of behavior/play. Look around WBB and you will see almost 100% of other coaches --they let the players play the style they brought from high school. Other posters have mentioned this. The girl from Texas A&M could step in and continue her HS style of shoot and play a little D. Geno refuses to back off when a player is not developing a minimum of skills. He does not care if she is #1 or # 4. Pheese did not play much as a frosh in big games.
Someone mentioned steel on steel. IMHO Geno puts stress on the situations and the players to see how they react. Do they learn and grow or do they wilt? If they wilt under his practice stress and other created situations then they will probably wilt in a big game moment. Very, very few coaches can hold every player to that standard. Geno has that in his bone marrow. And I believe CD does too. They know what "Championship Level" looks like. In November or December Geno states "the team is not there yet." Where? Championship Level! He knows what it looks like.
He is so hard nosed (read his upbringing to understand) that he takes the chance of losing the player. His confidence level and success rate is so high he feels good about the style. Since Geno and CD hand pick the few players that completely fill the UConn standards, they know the rate of success is very high.
As we all know, Geno is coaching for Championships. The day to day feelings of bench players are not the driving force, not even a little bit. The other coaches and players fill that bill.
For me personally, as a player and coach, I understand about playing time and positive motivation. I, like many others, would not have the Iron Will to keep pushing and using the entire Geno style. He is different. And it WORKS.
Just my humble opinion.

I enjoyed reading your post, and it’s obvious you have worked with young adults in competitive sports. I, like you, am amazed that Geno has been able to hold on to his style of coaching with the changes we have seen in today’s society. Social media has had a tremendous effect on coaching young adults, and I find that when you limit player’s access and content that some feel they won’t survive, but soon learn that life will go along just fine without being able to post certain content or pics.

I do feel it will be harder and harder to find players who have both the sufficient amount of talent, and more importantly, the will to buy into Geno’s style of coaching because most are not being raised in the same manner. Geno is definitely not running a popularity contest with his style of coaching, but the respect he garners from his former players tells you that he is doing a lot of things well, even though some of those same players wouldn’t have thought that in their playing days.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed reading your post, and it’s obvious you have worked with young adults in competitive sports. I, like you, am amazed that Geno has been able to hold on to his style of coaching with the changes we have seen in today’s society. Social media has had a tremendous effect on coaching young adults, and I find that when you limit player’s access and content that some feel they won’t survive, but soon learn that life will go along just fine without being able to post certain content or pics.

I do feel it will be harder and harder to find players who have both the sufficient amount of talent, and more importantly, the will to buy into Geno’s style of coaching because most are not being raised in the same manner. Geno is definitely not running a popularity contest with his style of coaching, but the respect he garners from his former players tells you that he is doing a lot of things well, even though some of those same players wouldn’t have thought that in their playing days.

Twolf - Good post. You clarified the point even further. Geno's style is almost the exact opposite of the current crop of player's mindset. Geno has said (like you have) that it is harder and harder to find talent and the will to "do the work" or buy into the philosophy of UConn BB.

Reaction Score

As long as Geno wins- players will come. The majority will do what he asks. If for example you are a post player for 2019 class - you have to be chomping at the bit to come to UCONN seeing how they have the guards/wings covered. And if you are a post that shoots well from the outside? Man-- it's set up for you.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Why worry about things that you have absolutely no control over?

Some fair assumptions about Auriemma -

He knows basketball
He knows how to coach basketball
He knows what it takes to win
He's pretty good at handling players

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So , for the sake of discussion...(no argument)..we lose our freshman class, and move forward with our current sophs, maybe the unprecedented success changes
Steel on steel? Here I thought these were young women playing a game that we are talking about. Lastly, when the pitch to come to UCONN is made to "a" consensus, national player of the year candidate , I wonder if its said, that if you have a lousy practice you may not play in any games.
Yes, a game. So is fencing.

Have you never heard Geno talk about his practices, or even how the other players speak about them? About how they're harder than the games? About how they're one of the few if only programs in WCBB that practice at game speed? Have you never seen any of the All Access TV shows? How Geno was one of the first to use male practice squads? Clearly you are new to the Boneyard and you seem to have this "How long has this been going on" feeling.

Your uncomfortability or even maybe your disagreement isn't with me, it's with Geno's methods, which have proven to be the most successful in the history of CBB. "What if we lose our freshmen class"? If's and buts are for nits and nuts. It ain't happened yet, and that seems a non existent bridge Geno has never had to cross. Geno has never made a secret about how he feels about practice and prospects are free to come and watch UConn and their brutal sessions. Recruits have a good idea what they'really getting into. If not, well, the exit door is always open.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to argue with a guy that has been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame, won 11 National Championships, and coached the US Olympic team to multiple Gold medals.
Somehow I think AEH and/or her parents might argue with him.

Reaction Score
Yes, a game. So is fencing.

Have you never heard Geno talk about his practices, or even how the other players speak about them? About how they're harder than the games? About how they're one of the few if only programs in WCBB that practice at game speed? Have you never seen any of the All Access TV shows? How Geno was one of the first to use male practice squads? Clearly you are new to the Boneyard and you seem to have this "How long has this been going on" feeling.

Your uncomfortability or even maybe your disagreement isn't with me, it's with Geno's methods, which have proven to be the most successful in the history of CBB. "What if we lose our freshmen class"? If's and buts are for nits and nuts. It ain't happened yet, and that seems a non existent bridge Geno has never had to cross. Geno has never made a secret about how he feels about practice and prospects are free to come and watch UConn and their brutal sessions. Recruits have a good idea what they'really getting into. If not, we'll, the exit door is always open.

Which makes AEH transferring so puzzling right? She commited so early and one would think a lot of interaction with staff and players. She also earned her way on court with very positive results.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If a player is more concerned with her playing time than what she can do to help the team, then as Kara said on the pre-game yesterday, it's probably best to transfer because UConn is all about the team and not an individual's playing time or stats.
Whether it's true or not some players don't think they are helping the team if they are not playing.

Reaction Score
Whether it's true or not some players don't think they are helping the team if they are not playing.

I know from what I saw if her I wanted to see her get more run. She actually wasn't afraid to shoot and looked really good out there. I think this is a bigger loss than most think especially long term... not good

Reaction Score

What's your point? Some of the players that don't feel they are helping the team and don't play much stay too. And yes -- others leave. You feel every player should be awarded minutes and Geno should do what it takes in terms of awarding minutes in order to make them stay?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom