I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I am so upset with the way Geno is handling Megan Walker

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I love the UConn Women and I have been a huge fan since ‘92 (when I was 10) but geez - the #1 recruit in the country is only getting garbage time minutes! I’m sure this is not what she envisioned when she decided to come to UConn. Anybody else upset about this?

Yes, I am. Board rules disallow me to say any more.

Reaction Score
Meg is a great player and if anything this will have a positive affect on her. The issues are not skill related. She has it all. She will be a superstar on this team. She has already shown superstar qualities. She can be great without even trying. That is not what Geno wants. He wants her to try even more, to reach the next level.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Do you get it? I’m not making any decisions - I’m just expressing my opinion - which I believe is the point of the BY

You may be wrong. There are limiting rules. ;)

Reaction Score
Meg, not surprisingly, plays best with the starters. She fits right in w/out a blip. That's the best measure of her growth, not what she does after the starters depart. Both Walker and Coombs have bright futures on this team, but there's a very high bar at UConn. That's why they're here.
And a shout-0ut to a consistently improving Kyla Irwin whose future with the Huskies is also v. important.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I may not know nearly as much about basketball however I know a lot about managing people. I hate saying all this but let’s see how this plays out.

Hey Bobby Knight miss handled Larry Bird. And he admits it. Who knows how all the frosh will turn out. Let's just wait and see.

Reaction Score
Bob Knight coached Bird?
Knight recruited Bird to Indiana, but Larry left - didn't think he fit in. Knight says he didn't think Bird was that big a deal. He was 6'6", 180 lbs. at the time. Bird later resurfaced at Indiana State, at 6'9", 225 lbs., and tore it up. Knight has said he mishandled it, didn't recognize Larry's real potential and didn't treat him appropriately. Bird has said if he had it all to do over again he would have stayed at Indiana.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
To the OP - you really don't know how Geno is handling Megan. You are not at practices. You do not know what conversations have occurred between Megan and the entire coaching staff.

You are passionate, and that's fine, but cool your jets. We are all passionate about UConn Women's Basketball or we wouldn't be here.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Hey Bobby Knight miss handled Larry Bird. And he admits it. Who knows how all the frosh will turn out. Let's just wait and see.

One of Knight's quotes was ; “I was negligent in realizing what Bird needed at that time in his life.”. I think Geno is a master of recognizing that sort of thing. However, I will also say that the team needs will always supercede playing time decisions. His formula works and he's not going to change it. I think this situation will work out just fine.

Reaction Score
I hope she has another great game on Monday and gets to show her skills as she has in the other couple of big games so far.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
And anyone watching today's game can see why she needs more seasoning. The only thing Geno mishandles is occasionally his ties.
Don't you think the only way a player can get seasoning is by playing?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Geno can be a challenge for freshmen. He has talked very highly of Meg much of this season. Her minutes have been reduced of late, however, and we don’t know why. As noted, it could be illness or minor injury. It could be poor practices. It could be Andi’s departure. I’m going to give it time. I hope and expect Meg to be back on track soon.

Reaction Score
I love the UConn Women and I have been a huge fan since ‘92 (when I was 10) but geez - the #1 recruit in the country is only getting garbage time minutes! I’m sure this is not what she envisioned when she decided to come to UConn.

Anybody else upset about this?

NOT in the least! Not being a wise guy here Fly, but why would anyone who actually follows the UConn women for any amount of time not understand his MO?
There is nothing secret with him and he reveals it show after show and interview upon interview. He even tells other coaches how to beat his team. ;)
He has forever been a my way or the highway type of coach and some do take the highway. He has recently gone public with the fact he wants the freshmen to step up their game. Playing time is earned on how they practice. He has also stated body language on the bench can also have a lot to do with it.
It's quite alright to express your sadness that she is getting a lot of pine time but to question Geno's management skills??? I'll not add the little head bouncing off the brick wall. :D

Reaction Score
I think it's funny how people on this board, sometimes me included, state an opinion on a player's playing time when we have no knowledge whatsoever of what happens in practices, how the player is feeling physically or how the player is doing mentally. Only coaches whom are around the players almost 24/7 can make the informed decision(s).

Who are we to question the greatest basketball coaching staff of all time?

Reaction Score
Whatever the issue is with Megan whether it'd be illness/injury or poor practices, the main thing that matters to me is that Uconn continues to win. I'm hopeful though that there will be resolve and she will get quality minutes again.

Reaction Score
No. How bout Geno do this to most of his freshman who he has high expectations for. She will respond in a big way in the future hopefully starting Monday night

Reaction Score
I may not know nearly as much about basketball however I know a lot about managing people.

I hate saying all this but let’s see how this plays out.
Emotionally I feel as you do. I have with nearly every recruit Geno has had. Nan said it: neither you nor I know why she's not getting the PT we believe she deserves. ]
I do know this: If time comes in the Tx game or any big game Geno needs someone off the bench to sub for Kia or Gabby who can defend and score--it will be Megan Walker.

Reaction Score
I love the UConn Women and I have been a huge fan since ‘92 (when I was 10) but geez - the #1 recruit in the country is only getting garbage time minutes! I’m sure this is not what she envisioned when she decided to come to UConn.

I would say that I'm concerned. I can't recall another #1-ranked HS AA coming into UConn and not making a big impact her freshman year. Certainly they can have difficulties. But half-way through the season being benched in a blow-out while the rest of the bench plays? Wow!!! I've never seen that from a #1 at UConn.

I think Coach Geno is concerned as well. We all come up with the cliche that "UConn is not for everyone." But it seems that we do lose some very good players, and not always for the right reasons. AEH is gone, and she seemed to show signs of real brilliance! Indeed, she was named New York's top player last year.

The lack of development of the freshmen has been a concern to Geno, and he hasn't been kidding. And Walker is not excluded.

Really hope she isn't deeply disillusioned. Need her to really come through as a star for the team. But it's not showing up so far. Indeed, she appears to be in a funk.

Fingers crossed!!!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
We have seen most if not all of the freshman that come to UCONN go thru this. Call it a wall, being a freshman, whatever it is they all have to adjust. And you know what??? The great ones always do!!!

Reaction Score

Who should he go up to and take the ball out of their hands and give it to MW? KLS, Gabby, Napheesa, Kia, or Crystal? And when he does it, what will he say other than .. "well she was number 1 recruit last year, we owe it to her for picking us..." Three of those 5 were voted pre-season all americans. Kia has paid her dues for 4 years and has earned her time on the floor and MW isn't on Crystals level to run the PG position. She just had the misfortune of being born at a time where she was within striking distance of this group of UConn players. With Gabby and Kia graduating, there will be more opportunity for her next year, but for now she needs to realize she is low on the totem pole and take this time to learn from some amazing athletes. And not for nothing but so far this season other than ND, every minute after half time has been garbage minutes because the team is constantly up 20+ at half time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom