How Far will Stanford Drop & Does Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How Far will Stanford Drop & Does Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My rankings right now would be UCONN, Duke, Baylor, Stanford. After Baylor's loss to Stanford, i would have had UCONN, Duke, Stanford, Baylor.

I am not basing my current rankings based on preseason. My point was that Duke lost very little due to graduation last year, and they've done nothing this year to merit dropping them below Baylor or Stanford. IMHO, those last 2 teams lost so they should drop below Duke.

Don't you have to be ahead of them at some point to "drop below them." Duke has never been ranked ahead of Baylor, and with good reason. Now, if they come up with a signature win against UCONN that should change.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't you have to be ahead of them at some point to "drop below them." Duke has never been ranked ahead of Baylor, and with good reason. Now, if they come up with a signature win against UCONN that should change.
I said my rankings, not the current rankings. The season started Baylor, UCONN, Duke, Stanford. After Baylor's loss to Stanford, I would have had Duke 2nd behind UCONN (Duke, Stanford, Baylor).

Now that Stanford got whipped by UCONN, i'd STILL have them # 2 behind UCONN. UCONN, Duke, Baylor, Stanford. I don't agree with the current rankings with Duke dropping to 4th after Stanford beat Baylor. Just my opinion. Obviously the AP and coaches polls disagree with me.

In fact, I might even drop Stanford to 5th behind ND.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I said my rankings, not the current rankings. The season started Baylor, UCONN, Duke, Stanford. After Baylor's loss to Stanford, I would have had Duke 2nd behind UCONN (Duke, Stanford, Baylor).

Now that Stanford got whipped by UCONN, i'd STILL have them # 2 behind UCONN. UCONN, Duke, Baylor, Stanford. I don't agree with the current rankings with Duke dropping to 4th after Stanford beat Baylor. Just my opinion. Obviously the AP and coaches polls disagree with me.

In fact, I might even drop Stanford to 5th behind ND.

I think that if JPM had scheduled some higher ranked opponents that Duke would have climbed in the polls. It just very hard for them to make a move when the best team that they've played is Cal. The only chance they have to make a statement is against UCONN and that is going to take an off game by UCONN and Duke's best game of the season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think that if JPM had scheduled some higher ranked opponents that Duke would have climbed in the polls. It just very hard for them to make a move when the best team that they've played is Cal. The only chance they have to make a statement is against UCONN and that is going to take an off game by UCONN and Duke's best game of the season.
Very true. I understand why the pollsters have them ranked the way they do, even if I disagree. Scheduling an OOC game against any of the top 10-ish teams would have gone a long way if they'd won.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Just saw the Texas - CMU score. How is it possible that Texas is still a ranked team ??? Let's see if the pollsters are paying attention.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Very true. I understand why the pollsters have them ranked the way they do, even if I disagree. Scheduling an OOC game against any of the top 10-ish teams would have gone a long way if they'd won.
Yeah, but they didn't. And when you're ranking you should base it on what a team has done and not necessarily what your gut feeling is about who wold win a game on a neutral court. I think Sagarin does a pretty good job of sorting out the team performances. If Duke had blown the covers off a top team at home I might say that they deserve to be in the top 3, but a 14 point home win over Cal and today's 73-32 beatdown of Monmouth don't speak #2 to me, no matter how I imagined them in preseason. Baylor and Stanford at least have put themselves on the line even if they have sometimes run into injuries or juggernauts.

Reaction Score
Just because Duke has only played one ranked team doesn't mean they don't deserve to be ranked #3 or 4. I could see you arguing whether or not they deserve to be ranked ahead of Stanford, but not the argument you made.

The ended the season last year at #6, lost only Selby and Sheer to graduation, and added Jones, Moore, and Heckmen (freshmen), and got back Henson (injury) and Wells (suspension). Both Alexis Jones and Amber Henson were top 10 kids in their respective classes, altho I don't see any stats on Henson so maybe she's injured again? Triad or Cam can tell me if I got any of the aforementioned facts wrong...

Frankly, I'd have put them preseason ahead of Stanford behind only UCONN and Baylor. On top of that, after Baylor's loss to Stanford, I'd have ranked them UCONN, Duke, Stanford, and Baylor in that order. Duke is loaded and deep. I don't disagree that the "jury" is still out on how good they will be this year, but I honestly think they are almost as much a lock for the final 4 as UCONN and Baylor...

BTW they did beat #10 Cal by a similar margin to UCONN's victories over PSU and Maryland. And say what you will, UCONN didn't look overly impressive vs. those 2 teams. The beat down vs. Stanford, however, was another story...

I'm not saying their schedule has been hard - it's actually a very easy schedule the entire year for them, but Cal was a good measuring stick... and the game vs. UCONN will tell everyone a lot...
Keep in mind in the MD and Penn St games Bria and KML werent 100% . Everybody keeps forgetting that. I would like to see UConn play both of them again in February and see what happens. I keep reading the media talking about Baylor without Sims and other teams without their top player well UConn has had more top players out or coming back and theyre still putting up big numbers and winning. I remember when UConn beat Stanford by 36 and lost later in the NCAAs and nobody was saying Mel and Kalana were out with injuries.

"Just because Duke has only played one ranked team doesn't mean they don't deserve to be ranked #3 or 4. I could see you arguing whether or not they deserve to be ranked ahead of Stanford, but not the argument you made."

Yes, it does. You want to be regarded among the best, you have to play the best. There's no other way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yeah, but they didn't. And when you're ranking you should base it on what a team has done and not necessarily what your gut feeling is about who wold win a game on a neutral court. I think Sagarin does a pretty good job of sorting out the team performances. If Duke had blown the covers off a top team at home I might say that they deserve to be in the top 3, but a 14 point home win over Cal and today's 73-32 beatdown of Monmouth don't speak #2 to me, no matter how I imagined them in preseason. Baylor and Stanford at least have put themselves on the line even if they have sometimes run into injuries or juggernauts.
It has nothing to do with my "gut" feelings. It has everything to do with where they were ranked to start the year and who lost games. Look at men's football. Notre Dame really only beat one top 10 team (Stanford) and yet they are playing for the NC. They started the season unranked, but skyrocketed up the rankings because everyone else in front of them LOST games. do you think they are the best team in the nation? hardly, but they didn't lose to anyone and deserve to be playing for the NC.

That's partly my logic for my opinion that Duke should be #2 behind UCONN. As i said, Duke has not lost a game and they started the season #3. Stanford and Baylor both lost games so in my mind they are #2 behind UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with my "gut" feelings. It has everything to do with where they were ranked to start the year and who lost games. Look at men's football. Notre Dame really only beat one top 10 team (Stanford) and yet they are playing for the NC. They started the season unranked, but skyrocketed up the rankings because everyone else in front of them LOST games. do you think they are the best team in the nation? hardly, but they didn't lose to anyone and deserve to be playing for the NC.

That's partly my logic for my opinion that Duke should be #2 behind UCONN. As i said, Duke has not lost a game and they started the season #3. Stanford and Baylor both lost games so in my mind they are #2 behind UCONN.

So your logic is partly based on a horribly flawed football system?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So your logic is partly based on a horribly flawed football system?
OMG do you even read what I wrote. My logic has been explained ad nauseum in this thread. I was just pointing out a similar situation in football. And by the way, if this were men's hoops, it would be the same - UCONN #1, Duke #2. What is the big deal that i think UCONN should be #1 and Duke should be #2? This could be argued forever. It's simply my opinion. My opinion is not wrong. Nor is it based on faulty facts.

The facts are that UCONN and Duke are undefeated. Baylor and Stanford are not. Period. There is no disputing that. And my opinion of where I would rank the teams is based on that.

However, regarding opinions, everyone is entitled to have one, and most disagree with me, including the AP and Coaches Polls. Please stop being so argumentative about this. I get you disagree with me.

Reaction Score
OMG do you even read what I wrote. My logic has been explained ad nauseum in this thread. I was just pointing out a similar situation in football. And by the way, if this were men's hoops, it would be the same - UCONN #1, Duke #2. What is the big deal that i think UCONN should be #1 and Duke should be #2? This could be argued forever. It's simply my opinion. My opinion is not wrong. Nor is it based on faulty facts.

The facts are that UCONN and Duke are undefeated. Baylor and Stanford are not. Period. There is no disputing that. And my opinion of where I would rank the teams is based on that.

However, regarding opinions, everyone is entitled to have one, and most disagree with me, including the AP and Coaches Polls. Please stop being so argumentative about this. I get you disagree with me.
According to your type of logic in mens basketball Wyoming is 1 of 4 undefeated teams, so should be highly ranked. You actually need to beat someone in order to be highly ranked, and unless you were in last years final four, you shouldn't move above 4 until you beat someone in Mens or Womens basketball.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Well yeah, but we all know that rankings are a crazy mish-mosh of stuff that does include those preseason rankings and hold-your-ground progress, all that SOS and big win comparison, and some reputation factors, and that a gaudy undefeated record looks good even if you really haven't beaten anyone in a tough environment like say Maples. We know what the official rankers sometimes do, like that ACC homer back in 2008 who voted UNC #1. But when it comes down to ranking a team at this point, it really should be that based on what they have shown so far -- who deserves to be 1-2-3-4. Stanford has played my #1 and #2, and UConn and Baylor are obviously in that club for various reasons. Duke isn't, though they will go all out in CT in 3 weeks. I'm just not willing to bet at this point that they will keep the game within 26 points, but if they do they probably will deserve a more plum ranking. And you're right that depth is a very big consideration, because NCs have been won because of the lack of it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well if Im ranking the teams. UConn beat Stanford and Stanford beat Baylor so they are 1,2,3. UConn Stanford Baylor and theyve all played ranked teams. Now here is something to think about. Duke is 4 and ND 5. When UConn dismantles ND on Saturday where does ND get ranked? IMO 5th or 6th. For teams with talent to beat up on teams with lesser talent isnt difficult and on an off nite they win by less then they shouldve.

My concerns for UConn right now. They have a short bench. They need to get MoJeff Tuck and Stokes alot of minutes and tomorrow afternoon againest Oregon that would be great. But those three and Banks and Stewie need more minutes alot more minutes. We are into January and these 5 kids need to be ready for March because after March is another season. The injuries and viruses we are facing now dont help their developement and its out of our hands.

On the next note. When they do develop this is gonna be one heck of a team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
According to your type of logic in mens basketball Wyoming is 1 of 4 undefeated teams, so should be highly ranked. You actually need to beat someone in order to be highly ranked, and unless you were in last years final four, you shouldn't move above 4 until you beat someone in Mens or Womens basketball.
Come on. Did Wyoming start the season ranked #3? Please. "your type of logic" makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Well if Im ranking the teams. UConn beat Stanford and Stanford beat Baylor so they are 1,2,3. UConn Stanford Baylor and theyve all played ranked teams. Now here is something to think about. Duke is 4 and ND 5. When UConn dismantles ND on Saturday where does ND get ranked? IMO 5th or 6th. For teams with talent to beat up on teams with lesser talent isnt difficult and on an off nite they win by less then they shouldve.

My concerns for UConn right now. They have a short bench. They need to get MoJeff Tuck and Stokes alot of minutes and tomorrow afternoon againest Oregon that would be great. But those three and Banks and Stewie need more minutes alot more minutes. We are into January and these 5 kids need to be ready for March because after March is another season. The injuries and viruses we are facing now dont help their developement and its out of our hands.

On the next note. When they do develop this is gonna be one heck of a team.
They do have to develop the bench players. Possibly Geno's most significant weakness (ducking) is failing to give bench players minutes beyond what they've strictly earned in order to develop them for later in the season.

Reaction Score
4th maybe. No way they drop lower than ND! I say they will be #2.
I agree with what you said but I feel the the AP has been under rating ND all year. Like them or not they are a team that knows how to win and have a coach that will teach them to beat up on there opponents.

Reaction Score
In my opinion it should be UConn Baylor Stanford ND Duke. My reasoning is Baylor lost by 2 without there point guard for the majority of the game. Duke although still unbeaten hasn't played anyone of consequence and ND's losses have been to teams in the top three. It is to note of course that the AP and USA Coach's Polls have been blatantly dismissive of UConn for the past six weeks when they jumped Stanford over UConn in the first place!

Reaction Score
The preseason rankings have a major affect on the rankings the rest of the year. Where you start out has a major influence, for example Georga was rated #6 and just got beat by a team with a loosing record. They got rated that high only because they beat teams that were initially over rated themselves. When teams beat initially overrated teams the ranking boost that this gives them is usually only corrected after suffering a number of losses. I personally believe that teams shouldn't even be ranked until the season is half way over. But then what would the posters on the forums discuss.

Reaction Score
During the 90 game winning streak UConn went 37 straight polls over the course of two years in which they garnered every first place vote on every ballot in both the AP and Coaches poll. Not even a single dissenting voter for almost two straight years. Now that is serious, serious domination.
I don't get the point you are trying to make?

Reaction Score
still get votes as the #1 Team Baylor got 2 votes in the AP Poll and 1 in the Coaches Poll. Does today's convincing win over Stanford get UConn all the #1 votes?

Could Stanford drop to 5th behind UConn, Baylor, Duke, Notre Dame?
I say yes to all and agree with your rankings. Getting destroyed at home by UCONN should definitely drop Stanford to at most 4th but I think N.D. should also move ahead of Stanford. I don't agree with giving Baylor a first place vote but they will probably get one. Defending champions with all their returning starters and all that stuff.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In my opinion it should be UConn Baylor Stanford ND Duke. My reasoning is Baylor lost by 2 without there point guard for the majority of the game. Duke although still unbeaten hasn't played anyone of consequence and ND's losses have been to teams in the top three. It is to note of course that the AP and USA Coach's Polls have been blatantly dismissive of UConn for the past six weeks when they jumped Stanford over UConn in the first place!

SAD BEAR.JPG

Please apologize to this Bear from the California Bay area... you hurt its feelings.

Reaction Score
Baylor definitely at #2. I believe that Stanford showed absolutely no reason they should be ranked higher than 5th. Okay, maybe a little bit of defense. But, it doesn't really matter where you put Stanford in this week's poll because when UCONN rolls N.D. next week and Duke in 3 weeks Stanford will be back to #3. That is assuming Stanford can take care of business the next 3 weeks. They have some ranked competition coming up. I don't really see any other teams breaking into the top five right now.

Reaction Score
They do have to develop the bench players. Possibly Geno's most significant weakness (ducking) is failing to give bench players minutes beyond what they've strictly earned in order to develop them for later in the season.
I have included a link to UCONN's statistics up to and including the Stanford game and it shows 10 of UCONN's 11 players are averaging over 12 minutes per game. Buck is only averaging 6 minutes per game. Check it out, it may show you that Geno does get his bench some time. It doesn't include games where the player can't play due to injury. http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/teamcume.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom