How Far will Stanford Drop & Does Baylor | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How Far will Stanford Drop & Does Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't agree with giving Baylor a first place vote but they will probably get one. Defending champions with all their returning starters and all that stuff.

All that silly minutiae.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have included a link to UCONN's statistics up to and including the Stanford game and it shows 10 of UCONN's 11 players are averaging over 12 minutes per game. Buck is only averaging 6 minutes per game. Check it out, it may show you that Geno does get his bench some time. It doesn't include games where the player can't play due to injury. http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/teamcume.html
One other thing to consider are the injuries. Kiah is out with an injury. Morgan is just coming back from one. Bria hasn't been 100% till the last few games. Moriah is just coming off a stomach virus. KML was feeling ill and needed fluids after the game. But nice noting the entire team sans Buck averaging over 10 MPG...

And UCONN has 6 players averaging over 9 PPG. A freshman and a sophomore are neck and neck for team lead in PPG. The present is very bright, and the future looks that way as well, but that's something we already know!

Reaction Score
Baylor definitely at #2. I believe that Stanford showed absolutely no reason they should be ranked higher than 5th. Okay, maybe a little bit of defense. But, it doesn't really matter where you put Stanford in this week's poll because when UCONN rolls N.D. next week and Duke in 3 weeks Stanford will be back to #3. That is assuming Stanford can take care of business the next 3 weeks. They have some ranked competition coming up. I don't really see any other teams breaking into the top five right now.
Before Stanford got rolled by the margin that they did I would have agreed with you. Remember Ucon is expected to beat ND and Duke. A loss to a much higher ranked team (Ucon) will not hurt them as much as the loss by Stanford did. You are expected to beat teams ranked under you. A lot would depend on the margin of the expected Ucon victories over Duke and ND. There is such a perceived difference between the top five and everyone else that beating a team in the second tier is not that much more of a deal than beating a cupcake. You are expected to beat both.

Oh by the way Cal is Stanford's travel partner and they have the same schedule coming up that the Cards do. Plus they play them twice early. With Georgia's loss they will move up to at least #7 in the next poll.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All this talk about Sims getting hurt and "IF" she couldve played Baylor wouldve won. There are alot of "ifs' in sports and "what ifs" Nobody made any excuses for UConns wins over MD Penn St and Stanford because of their injuries and viruses. Note( Hartley comingback from her injury, Tuck injured Stokes Injured MOJeff with a virus and KML with a injury and virus) UConn still won and it really wasnt that close. Injuries are part of the game and you need to be deep enough to overcome that. When you have Griner and Chiney goes off on her the problem is not Sims its how can Dolsen and UCOnn stop Chiney and Baylor with 6'8 Griner didnt?????? IMO if Baylor is truly number 1 they should not allowed Chiney to go off on them, with the POY guarding her. That tells me theyre not number 1 and perhaps Griner is not POY????

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
UCONN 1
Baylor 2
Stanford 3
Duke 4

When does the poll come out, anyway?

Reaction Score
UConn looked unimpressive in their wins over PSU and Maryland - at home. Stanford was on the road, and right before the holidays when kids' minds wander.
Wow, we now have to consider the players state's of mind when we rank the teams?

Reaction Score
Who cares what happened months ago when some player was hurt or some team had to travel or some players were sick? Did anyone that saw the UCONN-Stanford game really think that Stanford deserved their #1 ranking? I didn't. Did Stanford do anything that makes you think they are one of the top 3 teams in the country? I didn't. The only thing they showed me was a little defense but absolutely nothing else. Thirty five points for a top three team? Seriously? I put them at #5 because no team below there has been consistent. UCONN had to wait 6 weeks for their correct ranking so Stanford can wait about 3 weeks to regain their pre-season #3 ranking. When UCONN beats N.D. and Duke then Stanford will be back at #3 again. That is unless The Cardinal can't handle their upcoming ranked opponents. And on Feb 18 Baylor will get their chance to regain their #1 ranking. B.G. and friends better bring their big guns because UCONN will be rolling by then. Rebound by Dolson, outlet pass to Hartley, she drives the length of the court, defense converges, passes left to Banks, she lays it in. Inbound pass to Sims slapped by Faris, picked up by Hartley, passed to Stewart who banks an 8 footer for two....foul on Griner. Inbound picked off by Jefferson, passes to Stokes, passes to Lewis in the corner, drains the trey. Can't wait. I believe that will be a warm-up for the N.C. game in April. By the way..... UCONN is 7-0 in N.C. games. Sorry about the detour, but I can't wait until Feb 18...... I just get a little crazy! Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
All this talk about Sims getting hurt and "IF" she couldve played Baylor wouldve won. There are alot of "ifs' in sports and "what ifs" Nobody made any excuses for UConns wins over MD Penn St and Stanford because of their injuries and viruses. Note( Hartley comingback from her injury, Tuck injured Stokes Injured MOJeff with a virus and KML with a injury and virus) UConn still won and it really wasnt that close. Injuries are part of the game and you need to be deep enough to overcome that. When you have Griner and Chiney goes off on her the problem is not Sims its how can Dolsen and UCOnn stop Chiney and Baylor with 6'8 Griner didnt?????? IMO if Baylor is truly number 1 they should not allowed Chiney to go off on them, with the POY guarding her. That tells me theyre not number 1 and perhaps Griner is not POY????

Wow, didn't realize that 18pts and 8 rbs now qualifies as "go off on them". The loss wasn't because of Baylor/ Griner's defense on Chiney, it was Sims not being there period. Sims production offensively and defensively is what Baylor missed. Sims would have kept at least one of the Stanford's guards from reaching double digits and surely would have got her team some buckets.

With all do respect over the past 10+ years on the very very rare occasion UConn has had a loss I recall more than one occasion where you did offer some excuses and "if's" that explained it away that while legit still don't compare to the loss of Sims. Whether its injuries, ref's, fouls, travel etc. it's all been said by every team and every fan.

Reaction Score
Before Stanford got rolled by the margin that they did I would have agreed with you. Remember Ucon is expected to beat ND and Duke. A loss to a much higher ranked team (Ucon) will not hurt them as much as the loss by Stanford did. You are expected to beat teams ranked under you. A lot would depend on the margin of the expected Ucon victories over Duke and ND. There is such a perceived difference between the top five and everyone else that beating a team in the second tier is not that much more of a deal than beating a cupcake. You are expected to beat both.

Oh by the way Cal is Stanford's travel partner and they have the same schedule coming up that the Cards do. Plus they play them twice early. With Georgia's loss they will move up to at least #7 in the next poll.
All very true. I have seen N.D. play a few times and don't think they stand much of a chance at staying within 20 points at UCONN. But if they keep it real close like a few points that would definitely help their status. I haven't seen Duke play and they have only played one ranked opponent so they might be a snake in the grass or they might lose by 40 points. Cal might have a game for Stanford, hope one of their games is televised. It is time the PAC 12 has someone besides Stanford. I'm really looking forward to the next two months, a lot of good games coming up. Especially 2/18. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
So you think Purdue, UCLA, and TAMU are all better teams than Cal ?
I don't understand your post but here is my thought. UConn played and defeated Purdue Penn St Maryland and now Stanford. As far as Cal goes it is in the top 10 but ND played Stanford Baylor and as you are well aware all the pre-conference games include gimmes. You must also look at the margins of victory. In ND's games their losses were not by large margins and their victories were by total destruction. That was the basis of my selection of ND ahead of Duke.

Reaction Score
Stanford was taken down so badly by uconn that a #3 ranking seems more than generous to me. I see no convincing reason why Baylor should get any 1st place votes at all. They lost to Stanford and UCONN annihilated the Cardinal, etc.

I wonder about Stanford losing again to one or more of their upcoming games vs ranked teams? There's a good chance their confidence has been shaken and their swagger gone missing. That's gotta hurt a bit, I think.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't understand your post but here is my thought. UConn played and defeated Purdue Penn St Maryland and now Stanford. As far as Cal goes it is in the top 10 but ND played Stanford Baylor and as you are well aware all the pre-conference games include gimmes. You must also look at the margins of victory. In ND's games their losses were not by large margins and their victories were by total destruction. That was the basis of my selection of ND ahead of Duke.

Actually ND didnt play Stanford. But my point was you said ND should be ahead of Duke, and that Duke hadnt played anyone. So basically you were saying that the better teams that ND has beaten (TAMU, Purdue, and UCLA) were all better teams than California. I disagree with that assessment. Duke also beat a solid Michigan team in Ann Arbor... a team that could possibly finish ahead of Purdue in the Big 10.

You also stated that ND's victories were by total destruction. They beat Purdue pretty badly.... but there games with TAMU and UCLA were close contests.... closer than Duke's game was vs Cal.

Reaction Score
That's not a totally over the top rational. It sort of makes sense, although triddukefans reasoning is also sound. I would give triddukeafan the advantage because Duke started ahead of ND. One must remember Duke started #4 where as ND started much lower than they are now. They were perceived to have lost to much talent. Did ND end up[being better than had been expected or were perhaps the teams that were ranked ahead of them worse than expected. I think it was some of both.

Ratings are mostly about perception at the start of the season. It is far more difficult to change a pre-existing perception. It's sort of like the replays in football. Once the call is made, to change the call their must be indisputable evidence to the contrary. As of today there has not yet been any such evidence on the part of ND vs Duke. Those teams you mention that ND has beaten are not really that good. Cal is #7 , while the best of the ND bunch is #14. UCLA recently was beaten by Cal St North Ridge at home. A&M is #24 and was over rated when they played, is 9-4 now and probably only still that because of their reputation. The top teams shouldn't have much trouble beating any of the lower teams this year.

Reaction Score
Actually ND didnt play Stanford. But my point was you said ND should be ahead of Duke, and that Duke hadnt played anyone. So basically you were saying that the better teams that ND has beaten (TAMU, Purdue, and UCLA) were all better teams than California. I disagree with that assessment. Duke also beat a solid Michigan team in Ann Arbor... a team that could possibly finish ahead of Purdue in the Big 10.

You also stated that ND's victories were by total destruction. They beat Purdue pretty badly.... but there games with TAMU and UCLA were close contests.... closer than Duke's game was vs Cal.

Duke can't hang it's hat on 1 game also if you check out the site realtimerpi.com you will see that Duke's RPI is 2 points less than ND and Duke's SOS is 101 ND's is 27. One needs to check multiple sites to get a better picture of who is playing whom and where they stack up in RPI.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke can't hang it's hat on 1 game also if you check out the site realtimerpi.com you will see that Duke's RPI is multiple points less than ND. One needs to check multiple sites to get a better picture of who is playing whom and where they stack up in RPI.

All of this will be straightened out in the coming months... and I think Duke will end up with a higher RPI and ranking than ND. But anyway.... If Duke beats ND in the Elite 8.... would you be willing to put Duke ahead of them in your poll ?? :p

Reaction Score

Duke can't hang their hat on 1 game their RPI is lower by two than ND and their SOS is 101where as ND is 27. Check out the site realtimeRPI.com if you don't believe the numbers. So again ND stronger than Duke.

Reaction Score
All of this will be straightened out in the coming months... and I think Duke will end up with a higher RPI and ranking than ND. But anyway.... If Duke beats ND in the Elite 8.... would you be willing to put Duke ahead of them in your poll ?? :p
Sure I hate ND I think they play a dirty game as all UConn fans can attest to but they win games because refs don't call fouls on Diggins. I would love to see Duke cremate ND plus I like duke's coach much better than "little miss Muffet

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Sure I hate ND I think they play a dirty game as all UConn fans can attest to but they win games because refs don't call fouls on Diggins. I would love to see Duke cremate ND plus I like duke's coach much better than "little miss Muffet
I think most UConn fans dislike ND I do after the terrible calls the past 2 seasons. However Duke is not playing Stanford, ND or Baylor . Its hard to rank them above 4 when Baylor UConn ND and Stanford are playing 2-3 of those teams. I think thats fair.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I think most UConn fans dislike ND I do after the terrible calls the past 2 seasons. However Duke is not playing Stanford, ND or Baylor . Its hard to rank them above 4 when Baylor UConn ND and Stanford are playing 2-3 of those teams. I think thats fair.
Stanford dropping to #4 was due to the magnitude of the defeat, how they were exposed as a one player team and the doubts it put into the AP writers minds. If Duke falters in the same manner as Stanford, they'll be punished accordingly.

Reaction Score
Stanford dropping to #4 was due to the magnitude of the defeat, how they were exposed as a one player team and the doubts it put into the AP writers minds. If Duke falters in the same manner as Stanford, they'll be punished accordingly.
USA Coach's poll has Stanford 3 Duke 4 and I trust the coaches more than the writers, don't you?

Reaction Score
I think most UConn fans dislike ND I do after the terrible calls the past 2 seasons.

So, if there was bad officiating, that was ND's fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom