Game of Thrones Season 8 | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones Season 8

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Edit
One more thought - WTF was the dragon so much more effective vs the arrows compared to the last episode. Don't tell me Dany got more knowledge.... Anyone could figure out how to come from behind or the side. That's a bad throw away for the writers.

She was unaware of the arrows last week.

This week, she came down with the sun behind her to burn up the boats and then she came in too low for the arrows when she went for the walls.

Apologize to the writers, grandpa.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
She was unaware of the arrows last week.

This week, she came down with the sun behind her to burn up the boats and then she came in too low for the arrows when she went for the walls.

Apologize to the writers, grandpa.
Surprised by arrows with total air supremacy and vision. OK. That would be like a B2 bomber being surprised by an ISIS rebel with a shoulder mounted surface to air missile and getting shot down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Jaime had this amazing redemption arc over 7 seasons and inexplicably goes back to Cersei, who he had deserted 4 episodes earlier.

Jaime knowingly assassinated his reputation by killing the Mad King in order to protect the people of KL. When Tyrion asks him what about all of the innocent who will be killed when Dany sacks the city: "I never cared about the innocent people."

Almost every arc has been ruined in the matter of 5 episodes. Every scene involving Bran has been rendered pointless when his pivotal moment is becoming bait. FYI, I guess we will never find out about his bizarre warging in the earlier battle.

You may not have made the same choices as the writers if it was up to you, but there is nothing wrong with the choices the writers made. Jaime is an idiot, and has constantly made bad choices. His redemption arc was not a straight line, as evidenced by his recapture of Riverrun.

Bran seems to have fizzled, although he was needed for R+L=J so he did serve an important purpose.

I think the show has done a great job this season wrapping up the characters with the exception of no motivation for the Night King. That is a big freaking hole.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m not buying the “Mad Queen “ tiltle for Dany. I just don’t see it and the writers just didn’t develop it properly. She did sacrifice herself, her advisers, army and dragon by standing in front of Cersei and offering her a chance to surrender. A “Mad Queen” doesn’t offer a surrender. Cersei rigged Kings Landing with that green explosive anyway so
If Dany gave them that second opportunity to
Peacefully surrender, she would’ve regretted it
When the bombs went off.

Edit: Also, people easily forget that Cersei
And Her people lied to Dany about showing up For the war against the Night King. Dany can’t allow that plus two opportunities to
Surrender. She would then be titled “Soft Queen”. How many breaks was Dany supposed to give out?

Really? She’s been a complete psycho since season 6. It’s all about her and her perceived birthright. It wasn’t before then, it was about the people. Then it became “my throne”, “my kingdoms”, “bend the knee”. She’s been off her rocker for awhile now. That said, this still didn’t feel quite right. The extent of it was wrong.

Varys knew and Jon confirmed it. Nobody who wants to rule can be a good ruler.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The best part of the episode was Arya at the end, looking at the remains of the woman who saved her, and her child. A girl has a list. There’s one name on it now. Jon can’t do it. Arya Stark, “Queenslayer”.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dany is now the proverbial psycho ditched ex girlfriend.

You can take "proverbial" out of that description.

One thing that hasn't been discussed was the scene with the Hound and Arya. I thought the Hound's goodbye to Arya was the right ending for those two. Originally, I thought Arya and the Hound would go after the Mountain and Cersei together, but the Hound sending her away was the right move. If she wanted to be anything other than the Hound, she needed to leave the Red Keep. The Hound and Arya's relationship is one of the more interesting in the entire series, and for all his awfulness and the fact that she was his hostage, he saved her life on multiple occasions, taught her a lot, and truly cared for her almost as a daughter. While a showdown with the Hound and Arya vs. the Mountain may have been fun to watch, it would have been the wrong outcome from a character development perspective. The Hound's story was at an end, and it was time for him to die. Arya still had a life to live.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you remember the scene at the magic house in Qarth, when Danaerys has a vision of what looks like a snowy throne room? It turns out that was ash. The writers have been planning this ending for Danaerys since at least season 2. I think of a new foreshadowing scene from a prior season every few hours. At the end of Season 1, Katlyn warning Robb that if they lose they will all die, two episodes after Cersei told Ned that in the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. Cersei's warning to Sansa about what would happen if the city fell to Stannis at the Battle of the Blackwater. The good and bad guys have always been blurred in this show, which is what makes it great.

This was always how it was going to end. They basically drew us a map, and we all just missed it.

I think it is pretty cool.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Really? She’s been a complete psycho since season 6. It’s all about her and her perceived birthright. It wasn’t before then, it was about the people. Then it became “my throne”, “my kingdoms”, “bend the knee”. She’s been off her rocker for awhile now. That said, this still didn’t feel quite right. The extent of it was wrong.

Varys knew and Jon confirmed it. Nobody who wants to rule can be a good ruler.
She hasn’t been a complete psycho and she did have a birth right up until the falsified, hidden information was revealed. In an age of cutthroats, witches, demons and dragons, Dany put in work and got things done. This isn’t the Wizard of Oz or Cinderella, this is Game of Thrones people. Play hard or go home. She gave Cersei and others chances and displayed diplomacy. Those people betrayed her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After 24 hours to contemplate, & after a partial re-watch last night, here's my take on the destruction of King's landing: It was the calculated put the fear of God moment into Cersei by Danaerys.
Fact: The Mad King had deposited stores of Wildfire beneath every important building.
Fact: Cersei had asked HER Hand if the rumors were true before ultimately blowing up the Cathedral of the Seven Gods with wildfire. If the stores were widely rumored, then Dany had to know about them due to her lineage, & the fact that Cersei had demonstrated their existence.
By taking the thermonuclear approach to Kings Landing she accomplished the following:
1. She destroyed those munitions so that they couldn't be used against her in the future
2. She checkmated Cersei:
Cersei wasn't afraid to use wildfire, as she had blown away her enemies with it in the past. She didn't care about the citizenry, she only used them as a shield. Her fatal error was not taking Dany's determination into account. She thought that Dany would spare the common folk if her armies surrendered, OR she would blow up Dany's forces & sack the City herself with wildfire to win the battle. She also erroneously thought that her batteries of Scorpions would take out Drogon.
Danaerys's statement in effect: You've opposed me on every occasion: You refused to join the fray against the White Walkers, & instead fortified yourself with the mercenaries of the Iron Bank. You
refused my surrender terms & invited this battle by slaughtering Missandei in front of me, thus inviting my death sentence upon you. I've destroyed your troops, your weapons, now I'm going to destroy you!
Danaerys has been consistent: You bend the knee to her or you die. If you break your oath to her, you die.
The only problem is that she has backed herself into a corner with this approach. Kings Landing can be rebuilt. The public trust is another matter.

Reaction Score
She hasn’t been a complete psycho and she did have a birth right up until the falsified, hidden information was revealed. In an age of cutthroats, witches, demons and dragons, Dany put in work and got things done. This isn’t the Wizard of Oz or Cinderella, this is Game of Thrones people. Play hard or go home. She gave Cersei and others chances and displayed diplomacy. Those people betrayed her.

Way to rationalize unleashing a WMD on thousands of innocents.

Reaction Score
After 24 hours to contemplate, & after a partial re-watch last night, here's my take on the destruction of King's landing: It was the calculated put the fear of God moment into Cersei by Danaerys.
Fact: The Mad King had deposited stores of Wildfire beneath every important building.
Fact: Cersei had asked HER Hand if the rumors were true before ultimately blowing up the Cathedral of the Seven Gods with wildfire. If the stores were widely rumored, then Dany had to know about them due to her lineage, & the fact that Cersei had demonstrated their existence.
By taking the thermonuclear approach to Kings Landing she accomplished the following:
1. She destroyed those munitions so that they couldn't be used against her in the future
2. She checkmated Cersei:
Cersei wasn't afraid to use wildfire, as she had blown away her enemies with it in the past. She didn't care about the citizenry, she only used them as a shield. Her fatal error was not taking Dany's determination into account. She thought that Dany would spare the common folk if her armies surrendered, OR she would blow up Dany's forces & sack the City herself with wildfire to win the battle. She also erroneously thought that her batteries of Scorpions would take out Drogon.
Danaerys's statement in effect: You've opposed me on every occasion: You refused to join the fray against the White Walkers, & instead fortified yourself with the mercenaries of the Iron Bank. You
refused my surrender terms & invited this battle by slaughtering Missandei in front of me, thus inviting my death sentence upon you. I've destroyed your troops, your weapons, now I'm going to destroy you!
Danaerys has been consistent: You bend the knee to her or you die. If you break your oath to her, you die.
The only problem is that she has backed herself into a corner with this approach. Kings Landing can be rebuilt. The public trust is another matter.

Disagree 100%. I don’t `see how the thousands of burnt remains of innocent citizens were in any way justified by Cersei’s intransigence.

Horatio

Reaction Score
Way to rationalize unleashing a WMD on thousands of innocents.
Yes but you do realize those people were gonna be blown up anyway including Dany, Jon Snow and the rest of them. So you rather her show additional mercy and then sit on the throne only to have the building blow up around her. Respect the shooter. The Tyrion / John Snow/ Vairys approach would’ve got everyone killed.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Take down the Red Keep, destroy Cersei, and Dany gets celebrated as the hero that “broke the wheel”. The people would love her, which was her whole concern anyway. So I get that there were plenty of signs along the way, but in that moment... she had another way to get what she says she wanted. Instead she had a sad and went on a killing spree.

Reaction Score
Take down the Red Keep, destroy Cersei, and Dany gets celebrated as the hero that “broke the wheel”. The people would love her, which was her whole concern anyway. So I get that there were plenty of signs along the way, but in that moment... she had another way to get what she says she wanted. Instead she had a sad and went on a killing spree.
But would the people love her, or would they just fear her?

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
But would the people love her, or would they just fear her?

165e847e0bcb6426db5bcde71751f0d5044b3a5c5cb709c9e38a2e2878c18139.jpg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yes but you do realize those people were gonna be blown up anyway including Dany, Jon Snow and the rest of them. So you rather her show additional mercy and then sit on the throne only to have the building blow up around her. Respect the shooter. The Tyrion / John Snow/ Vairys approach would’ve got everyone killed.

How you figure that? Cersei was running away; Qyburn told her that they were out of options. If her plan was to lure Dany's troops into the city so she could blow them up, what the heck was she waiting for?

Horatio

Reaction Score
How you figure that? Cersei was running away; Qyburn told her that they were out of options. If her plan was to lure Dany's troops into the city so she could blow them up, what the heck was she waiting for?
I figured that because I saw the green explosions going off around the city
And Dany was burning buildings. Until one of the shows writers says that was just stored up
Green explosives from another situation, I’m gonna view it as Cersei rigging the city with explosives and planning on igniting those explosives after pretending to surrender. She’s done it before. I’m also gonna give Dany the benefit of the doubt and I think she knew that Cersei had something up her sleeve. The Peaceful resolutions that Tyrion and the rest of team came up with never worked with Cersei.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And Dany was burning buildings. Until one of the shows writers says that was just stored up
Green explosives from another situation, I’m gonna view it as Cersei rigging the city with explosives and planning on igniting those explosives after pretending to surrender. She’s done it before. I’m also gonna give Dany the benefit of the doubt and I think she knew that Cersei had something up her sleeve. The Peaceful resolutions that Tyrion and the rest of team came up with never worked with Cersei.

I don't think it was planted there for any purpose. I think it just happened to ignite from the dragon fire.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

It was stored up wildfire. The Mad King stashed it in a bunch of random buildings throughout the city; they talked about that a few seasons ago.

And in that scene where Qyburn was telling Cersei it was time to run, she kept trying to come up with ways they would still win ("our scorpions will shoot down her dragon") and Qyburn told her they were all destroyed, you could tell by the look on her face that she knew they were done. She even let out a single tear. Why would she do that if their big plan was to set off a bunch of wildfire to destroy her enemies? And even if that was their plan, it wasn't a very good one since it didn't do a damn thing to stop Dany or Drogon.

Reaction Score
Ever since they outran the books they took tons of shortcuts IMO. I like the fact that I don't have to wait another 18 seasons to figure out how it ends, but I'm also irritated because I think the show is far worse than it could have been with more care / forethought. Still entertained, but at this stage glad it is ending.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Surprised by arrows with total air supremacy and vision. OK. That would be like a B2 bomber being surprised by an ISIS rebel with a shoulder mounted surface to air missile and getting shot down.

Better to just say that you went to get a cookie and might have missed something than to keep digging.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom