Game of Thrones Season 8 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones Season 8

Reaction Score
Rewatched the last half hour of the latest episode at 10:30 on one of the alternate HBOs to confirm my recall. Dany, Tyrion, Varos, Greyworm & Co. standing within arrow range to dictate terms of surrender. Cersi & Co. smiling smugly from their vantage point.
The writers COULD have justified this scene if only Dany's forces were flying a white flag of truce for this parlay. NOPE. Something simple, & the script "brain trust" couldn't even get THAT right.

It's not realistic to kill off every character with 2 episodes left. Jon could have killed Ramsay when they met before Battle of Bastards and then we wouldn't have Battle of Bastards.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
It's not realistic to kill off every character with 2 episodes left. Jon could have killed Ramsay when they met before Battle of Bastards and then we wouldn't have Battle of Bastards.
But doing something "dishonarable" such as that isn't something Jon would do. Cersei, on the other hand, absolutely would. I felt that whole surrender scene was unnecessary.

Reaction Score
But doing something "dishonarable" such as that isn't something Jon would do. Cersei, on the other hand, absolutely would. I felt that whole surrender scene was unnecessary.

It was definitely rushed and that's fair. I'm trying to give HBO the benefit since I feel the criticism of the show the last 2 seasons are uncalled for.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
It was definitely rushed and that's fair. I'm trying to give HBO the benefit since I feel the criticism of the show the last 2 seasons are uncalled for.
I hear you. I didn't really have any problems with season 7 like a lot of people and I liked the first three episodes of this season. I just thought last episode didn't make a ton of sense for certain characters and everything was going at break neck speed. Winterfell to dragonstone to kings landing like 20 min lol

Reaction Score
To be fair to the critics, the show fundamentally changed in the past 2 seasons - the early seasons were much different character and story development wise (more methodical and detailed). The last two seasons have been more of the traditional network well-funded blockbuster show variety.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, until their main source of income is comic con appearances and $75 spots on cameo.com. Cause that’s where 90% of the cast is headed. Most of these actors should wish this show would never end.

The track record of actors off hit prestige television shows is pretty good with the exception of the Sopranos. The cast of Mad Men did very well for the most part, with Slattery loading up on character actor parts, Shipka getting her own show on Netflix, and Harris getting multiple major supporting roles. Big Love turned Amanda Seyfried into one of the biggest stars of her generation. Breaking Bad resuscitated Odenkirk's career, and was able to get a weak actress like Anna Gunn more roles than she deserved post-show.

Even the Sopranos, which I felt picked its cast on looks more than talent, turned Edie Falco into a bankable TV lead and made Jamie Lynn-Sigler into a b level stage and TV star prior to her getting sick.

Game of Thrones is bigger than any of those shows, and I think all the cast will have plenty of opportunities. If I was Emilia Clarke's agent, I would start loading her up with chick flick/date movie roles. She is OK as an actress, but is really likable in interviews and promotions. Date movies are steady work. I think Maisie Williams will be fine. She is probably the best actress of the bunch.

Reaction Score
The track record of actors off hit prestige television shows is pretty good with the exception of the Sopranos. The cast of Mad Men did very well for the most part, with Slattery loading up on character actor parts, Shipka getting her own show on Netflix, and Harris getting multiple major supporting roles. Big Love turned Amanda Seyfried into one of the biggest stars of her generation. Breaking Bad resuscitated Odenkirk's career, and was able to get a weak actress like Anna Gunn more roles than she deserved post-show.

Even the Sopranos, which I felt picked its cast on looks more than talent, turned Edie Falco into a bankable TV lead and made Jamie Lynn-Sigler into a b level stage and TV star prior to her getting sick.

Game of Thrones is bigger than any of those shows, and I think all the cast will have plenty of opportunities. If I was Emilia Clarke's agent, I would start loading her up with chick flick/date movie roles. She is OK as an actress, but is really likable in interviews and promotions. Date movies are steady work. I think Maisie Williams will be fine. She is probably the best actress of the bunch.

It’s already paid off for Richard Madden

Reaction Score
It’s already paid off for Richard Madden
He’s landed some good roles to be sure. I don’t think any of the cast really have true star power potential though. There are no top line, A-List, blockbuster box office drawers among them. But there are only a few of them these days anyway.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
He’s landed some good roles to be sure. I don’t think any of the cast really have true star power potential though. There are no top line, A-List, blockbuster box office drawers among them. But there are only a few of them these days anyway.

I feel like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau could turn into an A-lister but I agree I don't think there really is one sure fire among them. Dinkalge would be as he is an unbelievably good actor, but unfortunately not too many leading man little person roles.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I feel like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau could turn into an A-lister but I agree I don't think there really is one sure fire among them. Dinkalge would be as he is an unbelievably good actor, but unfortunately not too many leading man little person roles.

I feel like Coster-Waldau has missed his window already. He made a couple of so so movie choices, and he hasn't broken out even though he was in the prime of his career earning potential years when the show exploded onto the scene.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Huh?

I don’t have a problem with much else of what you said but this was a head scratcher.

Amanda Seyfried has landed roles in blockbusters and in Oscar bait movies like Les Mis. She started with syrupy romance movies like Dear John and Letters to Juliet, which are formula, shoot quick, and almost always make money. If I was an agent of a 20 or 30 something actress, I would want her in one of these romance movies every other year. They pay the bills.

She was the lead in In Time and Ted 2, which grossed almost $200MM and over $200MM respectively. The Mamma Mia movies were huge hits. Other than a few art house films that had limited releases, Gringo is her first flop, and she was only a supporting actress in it.

She is one of the most bankable stars in her generation. The only argument you could make against my point is that she did Mean Girls before Big Love, so Big Love may not have boosted her career as much as I originally thought. I thought Big Love had come before Mean Girls.

Reaction Score
Amanda Seyfried has landed roles in blockbusters and in Oscar bait movies like Les Mis. She started with syrupy romance movies like Dear John and Letters to Juliet, which are formula, shoot quick, and almost always make money. If I was an agent of a 20 or 30 something actress, I would want her in one of these romance movies every other year. They pay the bills.

She was the lead in In Time and Ted 2, which grossed almost $200MM and over $200MM respectively. The Mamma Mia movies were huge hits. Other than a few art house films that had limited releases, Gringo is her first flop, and she was only a supporting actress in it.

She is one of the most bankable stars in her generation. The only argument you could make against my point is that she did Mean Girls before Big Love, so Big Love may not have boosted her career as much as I originally thought. I thought Big Love had come before Mean Girls.
Nobody is going to see these movies *because* of Seyfried though. Especially not the huge ensemble movies she’s been in that are her highest grossers, so I think it’s a little disingenuous to call her bankable as a result. The true tell is the movies she’s the unquestioned lead or female lead in and nearly all of those have not fared well.

She really should go back to making the schmaltzy RomCom.

Reaction Score
the actor that plays Bronn signed on for the new Dark Tower series on Amazon. If done right that could become the next GOT.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I feel like Coster-Waldau has missed his window already. He made a couple of so so movie choices, and he hasn't broken out even though he was in the prime of his career earning potential years when the show exploded onto the scene.

It really didn't help him that New Amsterdam only lasted one season. It was good and he was good in it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nobody is going to see these movies *because* of Seyfried though. Especially not the huge ensemble movies she’s been in that are her highest grossers, so I think it’s a little disingenuous to call her bankable as a result. The true tell is the movies she’s the unquestioned lead or female lead in and nearly all of those have not fared well.

She really should go back to making the schmaltzy RomCom.

I don't think many people could pick Amanda Seyfried out of a lineup. She's barely B list.
Meanwhile Emma Watson has really not made any good movies since Harry Potter, but absolutely everyone knows who she is.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
GOT actors/ actresses will have plenty of work
In the MCU and DCU

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think many people could pick Amanda Seyfried out of a lineup. She's barely B list.
Meanwhile Emma Watson has really not made any good movies since Harry Potter, but absolutely everyone knows who she is.

I get that you like Harry Potter movies, but Emma Watson means what about Amanda Seyfried? Why are those two related?

There is a scorboard for these things, and Seyfrieds is pretty good.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Guess Jon is going to kill Dany, huh? I liked the choice to make her full fledged mad queen. Jamie running back to Cersei was dumb. Clegane Bowl was the best part of the episode, hands down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom