OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 40 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But. The ESPN contract was secret. The schools never could review it. Until now. And Clemson will get a non redacted copy.

If there have been willful misrepresentations, the ACC will be in a bad way. Clemson is suing for damages and, I’d suppose, FSU might follow. I hear old Dandy Don singing softly..”Close the door, turn out the lights, the party’s over”.

FSU and Clemson will lose their suits. They know they’re going to lose their suits, but they’re hoping the ACC and ESPN see just enough jeopardy to negotiate an exit.

But to where? The SEC already has their state flagships and the Big Ten wouldn’t want them. So to where? The Big 12? Feels like a lot of work to jump from one boiling pot to another.

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson will lose their suits. They know they’re going to lose their suits, but they’re hoping the ACC and ESPN see just enough jeopardy to negotiate an exit.

But to where? The SEC already has their state flagships and the Big Ten wouldn’t want them. So to where? The Big 12? Feels like a lot of work to jump from one boiling pot to another.
I think BIG would definitely want FSU. Would fit well in the BIG and provide BIG a team in Florida. I think FSU would rather go to SEC.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think BIG would definitely want FSU. Would fit well in the BIG and provide BIG a team in Florida. I think FSU would rather go to SEC.
I disagree with this. I believe FSU wants the Big10. It sets them apart from the other southern schools. It puts them in a national conference that will play games in almost every corner of the nation (SW/Texas and Northeast - hello UConn, not withstanding). Alabama’s application rate increased tremendously when they started winning, partly because they were always on TV.

FSU playing games in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Illinois (all still top 10 in population) increases their visibility. Games against USC and UCLA puts them smack dab in Souther Cali. Games against the brands of the Big10 will have very high viewership. All of this potentially increases their application rates allowing them to be more selective on who they admit.

They would need more local team to develop a rivalry with. While I don’t think Clemson would be a great fit with the Big10, they would fill that rival role well. That is why Miami was thrown around as a partner was well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The Big Ten deals in flagships, not middle sisters.

FSU has already begged the B10 and SEC for a look. Didn’t happen.

Reaction Score
I kind of agree with Fishy. If it was Florida maybe the Big 10 says yes. In the same way they wouldn’t take NC State to get a foothold in North Carolina or Texas A&M to get Texas they won’t take FSU to get access to the Sunshine State. I wonder if FSU and Clemson over played their hand here. I read one analysis very early in the process that suggested that the administration bowed to political pressure and really didn’t have a plan. They were hoping to latch onto the SEC but didn’t have a guarantee of any sort. Sort of like the dog who chases a car and catches it. Now what?

Reaction Score

I do not think that FSU “loses” their suit. After all, they have just asked the court to define just what the GOR-ESPN really means in terms of Member obligations. If you mean, the ACC owns their rights to 2036. Don’t think so based on Clemson’s filing from their lawyers who have seen it. Jmho

Reaction Score
"FSU has a lot of experience financing large expenditures and the Athletic Department is in a solid financial position to borrow at a very low interest rate without ceding any management control to a third party. FSU’s discussions with private equity firms likely will narrow in the future to a possible limited partnership involving an investment in FSU’s licensing activities by a party with expertise to boost the brand value of the Athletic Department. There have been similar partnerships in recent years, particularly in minor-league baseball, that have proven beneficial for ownership groups and private equity firms.
Any athletic department that gets involved with private equity is crazy as private equity wants to maximize profit for themselves.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I do not think that FSU “loses” their suit. After all, they have just asked the court to define just what the GOR-ESPN really means in terms of Member obligations. If you mean, the ACC owns their rights to 2036. Don’t think so based on Clemson’s filing from their lawyers who have seen it. Jmho
I believe that you are still missing a massive point, which is why the Florida judge informed FSU that they need to amend their lawsuit.

The courts aren't there to determine in advance how a contract should be interpreted. If a party believes that actions were not within terms of a contract, then the courts can be asked to determine if something was or was not within contracted terms.

Reaction Score
FSU has only explored PE. But went to issuing bonds. UCF took out 30 million loan and 90 million in bonds to improve the Bouncy House.

Reaction Score

There are no absolutes. The Big Ten just took UCLA and USC both from LA. It has both Indiana and Purdue. It has Michigan State and Northwestern. FSU is a more valuable football program than most of the Big Ten programs. No sense in limiting to official flagships at this point. It's Florida and I don't think FSU takes a back seat to Florida in terms of value.

Clemson is another story. But at the same time, both FSU and Clemson must have something lined up to file suits.

Reaction Score
Those are all “legacy schools” if you will. Very different. UCLA is a different beast too. Major public university and USC needed a partner and had the clout to get one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You’re wishcasting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There are no absolutes. The Big Ten just took UCLA and USC both from LA. It has both Indiana and Purdue. It has Michigan State and Northwestern. FSU is a more valuable football program than most of the Big Ten programs. No sense in limiting to official flagships at this point. It's Florida and I don't think FSU takes a back seat to Florida in terms of value.

Clemson is another story. But at the same time, both FSU and Clemson must have something lined up to file suits.

Stop it. Lord, just stop it.

USC and UCLA are in a different stratosphere than FSU.

Indiana, Purdue and Michigan joined the B10 in the 1800s. THE 1800’s! So stop.

Clemson and FSU are hoping to force some kind of negotiation. This “oh, lordy, we haz no idea what’s in our contract” line is nonsensical. Y’all signed and lived under it quite happily until the other guys started to make more money.

This is checkers. They’re playing checkers because they can’t play chess.

Reaction Score

Clemson and FSU are hoping to force some kind of negotiation. This “oh, lordy, we haz no idea what’s in our contract” line is nonsensical. Y’all signed and lived under it quite happily until the other guys started to make more money.

Nevertheless, the B1G does not just deal with flagships, and in the case of FSU, it's a distinction without a difference, as it were. It's Florida. The Big Ten would probably add USF at this point to get into the sunshine state.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten really holds all the cards at this point- they don't need to add any additional schools - ND is the only school that gets a guaranteed invite

Reaction Score
Very cool. FSU is "flush with positive cash flow", but they also need to go borrow money or get a capital infusion from private equity.

Meanwhile they throw a Hail Mary lawsuit to try to weasel out of the GOR, when they could easily just pay a good faith settlement to their conference "partners" and füćk off into the night.

And why is it so imperative to leave the ACC? Because their lesser conference partners do not recognize their divine right to an unequal share of the conference revenues.

Like I said, unintentional comedy. Whichever lucky P2 conference inherits this clown show is in for a world of fun.
Of course FSU wants more money than they get in the ACC, but it also seems like they are convinced the ACC has been driven far too long by the Tobacco Road/basketball schools and perhaps to the point of the conference not taking a vote on whether to extend their contract with ESPN. Seems like they feel like they have been spurned for too long and they've reached the breaking point. The ACC not fighting for FSU to the CFP this past season seems like their last straw.

Reaction Score

FSU isn't a middle sister in any analysis... And you have it on authority that FSU hasn't had intermediary dialog with the B1G? You must have great sources.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I have less confidence than you do in the outcome of a lawsuit over a contract that one party refuses to let the other party see. There are probably close to 50 posts on this board of me stating that a Grant of Rights is not a regular contract and can't get broken. But it never occurred to me that the ACC would hide the contract and then include a clause that ESPN could walk away from the deal, possibly without the full knowledge or understanding of all the parties.

I continue to believe that the available facts are so absurd that someone is simply not telling the truth.

Reaction Score
How long did we look down upon "directional" schools only to see them pass The University of Connecticut in conference realignment? Just saying.

Reaction Score
How long did we look down upon "directional" schools only to see them pass The University of Connecticut in conference realignment? Just saying.
The only "directional" school that passed UConn in realignment was UCF which is one of the largest schools in the US, located in Florida, and had gone 25-1 in football in 2017/2018.

Reaction Score
The only "directional" school that passed UConn in realignment was UCF which is one of the largest schools in the US, located in Florida, and had gone 25-1 in football in 2017/2018.
I should have been clearer. I put "directional" in quotes because I wasn't talking about just north, south, east, west but any school that is not a flagship. Cincinnati is another one.

As to who could pass us by in the next round---now we're looking at USF and Memphis.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom