OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score

do it jewish GIF

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they win this lawsuit it will be further proof that signed contracts aren't worth the piece of paper they're written on and high-priced lawyers can always find a loophole.
Or, alternatively, that penalty clauses that greatly exceed actual damages are not legally enforceable, particularly when some of the signing parties had little to no negotiating power.

Reaction Score
If they win this lawsuit it will be further proof that signed contracts aren't worth the piece of paper they're written on and high-priced lawyers can always find a loophole.

This is all about negotiating down the $572m exit penalty that the ACC will levy on FSU. The suit alleges the ACC has diminished its own media rights bargaining power through mismanagement and boneheaded decisions to invite lesser value institutions into the conference.

I’m not saying they’ll win, but you can bet your butt UNC will be following them out the door should they succeed in slashing the exit fee.

Reaction Score
This is all about negotiating down the $572m exit penalty that the ACC will levy on FSU. The suit alleges the ACC has diminished its own media rights bargaining power through mismanagement and boneheaded decisions to invite lesser value institutions into the conference.

I’m not saying they’ll win, but you can bet your butt UNC will be following them out the door should they succeed in slashing the exit fee.
And Clemson...and others.

Reaction Score
BREAKING: uconn ad running by foot to charlotte to get out of the church league and secure a spot in an actual conference

Running Man Abandon Thread GIF by MOODMAN
It’s sad but probably true and absolutely necessary as opposed to the last round of expansion when Louisville got in and our ad was monitoring the situation from the Caribbean.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
BREAKING: uconn ad running by foot to charlotte to get out of the church league and secure a spot in an actual conference

Run, Forrest! Run!

Reaction Score

Once the football schools leave, UConn would be a perfect fit.

Although Syracuse and Louisville are headed into "football school" category through mediocre football play (Fran Brown seems to be the real deal in recruiting) and being inept at basketball.

Reaction Score
FSU is very upset at UConn's lawsuit. UConn set a disgusting precedent. How unworthy of UConn. UConn should be forever blackballed. Just think of it, a school suing their colleagues in another conference. No one does that. If you want to sue your colleagues, make sure you are in the same conference.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Interesting.

I'm curious as to what the process was that led to the conference adopting the current withdrawal fee. Unless FSU can prove that they (and possibly others) were unfairly coerced into agreeing to the escalation, this will be difficult for them to win.

On the fiduciary responsibility, unless malfeasance can be proven, this is a non starter.

I'm also not sure how the GOR can be viewed as financially punitive unless there is an actual dollar amount attached to breaking the GOR. I believe that this may be the key point. It is possible that FSU (and possibly other members) approached the conference for a price to buy out of the GOR and a number was given.

Reaction Score
Or, alternatively, that penalty clauses that greatly exceed actual damages are not legally enforceable, particularly when some of the signing parties had little to no negotiating power.
Is it a penalty clause or liquidated damages?

CL82

Reaction Score
Is it a penalty clause or liquidated damages?
I suspect that that will be a major point of contention in the litigation. If it bears no reasonable resemblance to actual damages, it's a penalty clause.

CL82

Reaction Score
I dont want Uconn in the Acc if it is just going to be Bc,cuse, wake forrest, tulane, ecu, usf,memphis, stanford,etc. What a horrid basketball league. Its like Aac v2
When did Tulane, ECU, USF and Memphis join the ACC? Syracuse, BCU, Duke, NC State, and Virginia Tech aren't a bad start to a conference.

Reaction Score
FSU has an undefeated football team, and it’s outside looking in on the football playoffs. There are those in the FSU administration that believe if they were in the SEC and Alabama was in the ACC, they would be in the playoffs and Alabama would be out. I think they probably have a point.

Guessing that was a final straw type of thing that probably helped initiate the suit. If nothing else it probably increases leverage for getting a bigger piece of the ACC pie if they have to remain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom