OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 59 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
Who knows, maybe the ACC remnants will be so disgusted by what football has done to their conference they will go back to their roots and grab the best basketball power out there.
If Basketball mattered UConn would have been invited to the Big 12 last summer.

Reaction Score
If Basketball mattered UConn would have been invited to the Big 12 last summer.
Except, when you have 3 P5 schools looking for a home, it was a no brainer for the Big 12 to take 3 flagship universities that had been historical rivals with many current Big 12 schools to get to 16 schools.

Reaction Score
Except, when you have 3 P5 schools looking for a home, it was a no brainer for the Big 12 to take 3 flagship universities that had been historical rivals with many current Big 12 schools to get to 16 schools.
Not to beat a dead horse. but...2 of those three will likely never win a national championship in football or basketball (Arizona in basketball) maybe. UConn at the time 5 time national champ since 1999, with markedly improving program and blue blood status. Some here say that UConn would bring the NYC metro DMA to the Big 12 which has no representatives in the northeast. They added Cinci and UCF which have only local interest in football and none in basketball. UConn other olympic sports are also competitive. There was no evidence at that time that the ACC would be imploding. Now they will wait for ACC leftovers and UConn will be left out again. ESPN is the great satan here, as usual.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse. but...2 of those three will likely never win a national championship in football or basketball (Arizona in basketball) maybe. UConn at the time 5 time national champ since 1999, with markedly improving program and blue blood status. Some here say that UConn would bring the NYC metro DMA to the Big 12 which has no representatives in the northeast. They added Cinci and UCF which have only local interest in football and none in basketball. UConn other olympic sports are also competitive. There was no evidence at that time that the ACC would be imploding. Now they will wait for ACC leftovers and UConn will be left out again. ESPN is the great satan here, as usual.
Except UConn is not in the NYC DMA.

Reaction Score
Except UConn is not in the NYC DMA.
“Storrs” CT is not but Fairfield County CT is:

New York DMA Overview

IMG_1005.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn at the time 5 time national champ since 1999,
Count again.

Some here say that UConn would bring the NYC metro DMA to the Big 12 which has no representatives in the northeast
Has anyone actually said that? I'm not really sure what that means in any event. Fairfield County, which includes about a third of the population of Connecticut is in the NYCDMA, so, in that sense it's correct. But the notion that being physically located in the NYCDMA means that everyone there will suddenly be watching college football is incorrect with Connecticut as it was with Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I read it here multiple times in the CR thread. I believe UConn has a nice branch in Stamford, NYC DMA. Fairfield country people do and would watch UConn football, like they watch basketball. Its a moot point, nonetheless. Your comment confirms that UConn does not bring sufficient eyeballs to a network to warrant inclusion.

Reaction Score
Count again.

Has anyone actually said that? I'm not really sure what that means in any event. Fairfield County, which includes about a third of the population of Connecticut is in the NYCDMA, so, in that sense it's correct. But the notion that being physically located in the NYCDMA means that everyone there will suddenly be watching college football is incorrect with Connecticut as it was with Rutgers.
Last summer when UConn was allegedly under consideration for the Big 12 conference, men's basketball had won 5 national championships. Note the statement "at the time". Perhaps it could have been worded more clearly.

CL82

Reaction Score
Last summer when UConn was allegedly under consideration for the Big 12 conference, men's basketball had won 5 national championships. Note the statement "at the time". Perhaps it could have been worded more clearly.
Ah, got it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Your comment confirms that UConn does not bring sufficient eyeballs to a network to warrant inclusion.
Not sure who you were replying to, but I'll just note the most watched men's basketball game of 2024, including NBA games, was the Connecticut championship game. Think that was a fluke? The most watched basketball game of 2023 was the Connecticut national championship game.

Reaction Score
Not sure who you were replying to, but I'll just note the most watched men's basketball game of 2024, including NBA games, was the Connecticut championship game. Think that was a fluke? The most watched basketball game of 2023 was the Connecticut national championship game
If you go by your previous statement that UConn does not bring the NYC DMA, then maybe that huge nationwide Purdue fanbase was bumping up the numbers. My only point in the initial post was that it always seems there are changing reasons for UConn being left out.

Reaction Score
Connecticut population is split roughly 1/4 Fairfield County, 1/4 New Haven County, 1/4 Hartford County, 1/4 the rest of the state.
… and the New Haven/Hartford DMA is ranked 30th in the Country.

And as we know, that and $4 gets ya an XL coffee @ the Dunkin conference realignment counter these days.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you go by your previous statement that UConn does not bring the NYC DMA, then maybe that huge nationwide Purdue fanbase was bumping up the numbers. My only point in the initial post was that it always seems there are changing reasons for UConn being left out.
Reread my post. What I said is the phrase "brings the NYCDMA" is a meaningless statement. You use that phrase repeatedly so it seems important to you, but it literally has no meaning.

I guess the "huge nationwide Purdue fan base" bumped up the numbers for 2024. Is it also your position that the huge nationwide San Diego state fan base" bumped up the numbers for 2023? Because that game was the single most watched basketball game, college or pro, for that year. Quick question, do you see a common denominator between the two years?

Reaction Score
Reread my post. What I said is the phrase "brings the NYCDMA" is a meaningless statement. You use that phrase repeatedly so it seems important to you, but it literally has no meaning.

I guess the "huge nationwide Purdue fan base" bumped up the numbers for 2024. Is it also your position that the huge nationwide San Diego state fan base" bumped up the numbers for 2023? Because that game was the single most watched basketball game, college or pro, for that year. Quick question, do you see a common denominator between the two years?
I alwys thought it was cable subscribers that mattered in CR, and NYC DMA has a lot of cable boxes or streaming customers. As for paragraph 2, I was being facetious.

CL82

Reaction Score
I alwys thought it was cable subscribers that mattered in CR, and NYC DMA has a lot of cable boxes or streaming customers. As for paragraph 2, I was being facetious.
What "matters in conference realignment" is kind of a moving target. Different things matter at different times. For the Rutgers moved to the Big Ten what mattered was presents within the NYCDMA, because that allowed the big 10 to get premium first year pricing on the Big Ten network. For conferences without a network that wouldn't matter at all.

The New Haven Hartford DMA is somewhere around the 30th largest in the nation, but that does not include the million people in Fairfield county, plus additional people north of Fairfield County that still is a part of the NYCDMA. If you take a look around, you'll see that is higher than many schools that are already in P* conferences. Keep in mind, too that Connecticut isn't sharing those potential viewers with other colleges, which is not the case for the vast majority of schools. If Subscribers were the be all and end all, we'd be in today. I'm not sure that that is a relevant metric, today, or if it is, it's only as a proxy for total viewers.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sooo they've officially submitted withdrawal notice by an unofficial decree made a year ago?
makes some popcorn
This show is so full of drama.
People with little understanding of how business actually works will start thinking "this means FSU will be free to leave immediately if they want". The reality is, if this was a legitimate notification the school would have issued it, on its own prior to 8/15/23. If the school felt the manner on which it was included in their complaint was sufficient, with timing being a critical part of the equation, they would have requested an expedited ruling on that portion of the complaint.

They're trying to use this as a get out of jail free card if it reaches the point where they truly want to get out of jail.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
People with little understanding of how business actually works will start thinking "this means FSU will be free to leave immediately if they want". The reality is, if this was a legitimate notification the school would have issued it, on its own prior to 8/15/23. If the school felt the manner on which it was included in their complaint was sufficient, with timing being a critical part of the equation, they would have requested an expedited ruling on that portion of the complaint.

They're trying to use this as a get out of jail free card if it reaches the point where they truly want to get out of jail.
They'll use it as a way to countersue for back damages for being held longer than "their original issue date" would otherwise have held them to the conference. Bold, but should not gain traction.

Reaction Score

I'm sure there is a whole bunch of language missing from Murphy's brief post. I always thought the lawsuit was just about getting information and legal clarification. Maybe the part ""be deemed to have issued its formal notice of withdrawal" effective Aug. 14, 2023" is contingent upon other conclusions regarding the GOR. I really don't think FUS has submitted a formal notice to withdraw because it would stand to lose a sheet-ton of money.

CL82

Reaction Score

Didn't the original complaint say that it was not a withdrawal notice and they were actually looking for clarification of the withdrawal rules?

If so, this seems like an attempt by council to get a Mulligan on that decision.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom