OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 61 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
Would love to see BC end up in a conf with Washington st and Oregon st.
Ew please no. They aren’t good enough for the rebranded PAC (Mtn West plus WSU/OR St/Cal/Stanford/SMU). Let BC rot in the AAC

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FSU has an undefeated football team, and it’s outside looking in on the football playoffs. There are those in the FSU administration that believe if they were in the SEC and Alabama was in the ACC, they would be in the playoffs and Alabama would be out. I think they probably have a point.

Guessing that was a final straw type of thing that probably helped initiate the suit. If nothing else it probably increases leverage for getting a bigger piece of the ACC pie if they have to remain.

Won’t be a problem for FSU this year.

Reaction Score
Left out of the Playoffs last year, losing their lawsuit, stuck in a conference they helped build, crushing international loss to open the season. I love watching Florida State suffer after all their no votes for UConn and helping get ville in. Florida State forced ACC hands to be where they are I hope they suffer in it and take more hits for time to come.

Reaction Score
Left out of the Playoffs last year, losing their lawsuit, stuck in a conference they helped build, crushing international loss to open the season. I love watching Florida State suffer after all their no votes for UConn and helping get ville in. Florida State forced ACC hands to be where they are I hope they suffer in it and take more hits for time to come.
That pretty much sums up my feelings as well. They have not been kind to UConn, I really enjoyed today's game. If we get into the Big 12 before they do, can we block them? Just thinking about that brings a smile to my face.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I thought the extension went until 2036 for the GOR? Whether espn exercises their option to televise seems irrelevant to the GOR
It seems you are correct. From this ESPN article: STUCK, STUCK, STUUCK!!!

Oregon, Washington and other Pac-12 schools were free to leave the conference at the end of the 2023-24 season because its deal had expired. Texas and Oklahoma just joined the SEC this summer -- two years after they agreed to join -- because both schools had to partially wait out the Big 12's grant of rights. (That agreement actually runs one more year, but the parties agreed to an early separation that costs Texas and Oklahoma a reported $50 million each.)

What's different in the ACC is that its grant of rights runs through summer 2036, putting teams eager to depart on a far different timeline than Texas or Oklahoma faced.

The reason for this is, essentially, the existence of the ACC Network. In 2016, all ACC members signed an addendum to the existing 2013 grant of rights, extending the agreement for 20 years at, according to Florida State's legal filing, the behest of ESPN, which needed a long-term agreement before investing in the launch of a new network in which it would serve as a 50-50 partner with the ACC.

This article is worth the read.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I thought the extension went until 2036 for the GOR? Whether espn exercises their option to televise seems irrelevant to the GOR
The contract states that the GOR exists to satisfy the ESPN contract. What that means to the GOR is up for the courts to decide.

Reaction Score
The contract states that the GOR exists to satisfy the ESPN contract. What that means to the GOR is up for the courts to decide.
Right, some believe the moment the ESPN unilateral extension isn't exercised that the GOR is defunct because ESPN is specifically named in the agreement. So, instant free agency for all schools in essence. Will be very interesting to see if it ends up that way in February if things proceed in that manner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom