OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 62 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
I’m wondering if Norvell makes it through the season. That Orange Bowl was an absolute travesty and now this season it seems like his team isn’t all that enthused about competing.
…..and that’s the best you can do at QB?
Norvell absolutely fleeced them. I'm a Miami Hurricanes fan in football, so my knowledge/hatred of the Nole is profound. FSU has started 0-2 5 times since 1976, and 3 of them are Mike Norvell. And yet, after last season, they extended him with a contract worth roughly 10 Mil a year. His buyout is quite large. He'll be at FSU for the foreseeable future. Keep in mind, FSU had to pony up a large buyout for Jimbo a few years back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Norvell absolutely fleeced them. I'm a Miami Hurricanes fan in football, so my knowledge/hatred of the Nole is profound. FSU has started 0-2 5 times since 1976, and 3 of them are Mike Norvell. And yet, after last season, they extended him with a contract worth roughly 10 Mil a year. His buyout is quite large. He'll be at FSU for the foreseeable future. Keep in mind, FSU had to pony up a large buyout for Jimbo a few years back.
Everybody dunking on FSU right now.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

He graciously left UConn out (probably cuz we sucked in the AAC, so going from bad to purgatory is like a step up ^_^). Would be a great story if Clemson follows after FSU, but looking at their schedule, I don't see too many losses (NC State and South Carolina might give them a good go).
Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 14-14-47 Clemson Tigers 2024 Regular Season NCAAF Schedule - ESPN.jpg

Reaction Score
He graciously left UConn out (probably cuz we sucked in the AAC, so going from bad to purgatory is like a step up ^_^). Would be a great story if Clemson follows after FSU, but looking at their schedule, I don't see too many losses (NC State and South Carolina might give them a good go).
View attachment 103297
Well, UConn left a conference but had to go independent, which is a tougher road. Don't sell Clemson short, it is certainly capable of dropping a few more games in that lineup.

Reaction Score

-> This is the first sports season under a new model allowing ACC schools to keep more of the money generated by their own postseason success, a departure from decades of equal distributions among full league members. That “success initiative” could mean $20 million to $25 million more for a school in a big year, based primarily on football like everything else in college athletics.

It also could incentivize more investments in those revenue-driving programs, with the aim of generating their own bump to the bottom line alongside winning championships.

“We’re seeing more and more of a movement toward if you generate it, you get it,” North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in an interview with The Associated Press. <-

-> The ACC’s model centers around the expanded 12-team College Football Playoff. Teams could earn $4 million for an appearance, another $4 million for reaching the second round, $6 million for the semifinals and $6 million for the title game — a total of $20 million.

Teams also can earn success money by finishing in the top 25 of the CFP rankings and reaching a bowl game. And football money is positioned to climb.

“That grows as we go forward because those other numbers grow, and the CFP dollars grow,” ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips said. <-

Reaction Score
Norvell had a big year at the perfect time. The threat of another program pursuing him allowed him to score big, and I give him credit for that. I'm just surprised that a lot of people were so all in on their team this year. They had a great group of transfers last year, but it was 6th year Jordan Travis who was the reason for that season. They had quite a few escapes last year, and when he went down they were not even close to the team that was winning. And that was before the bowl game they didn't bother to show up for. It's really hard to hit that big in the portal year after year, but I guess people just expected it. They may get things together as the season goes on, but they look really weak so far.

Reaction Score

-> This is the first sports season under a new model allowing ACC schools to keep more of the money generated by their own postseason success, a departure from decades of equal distributions among full league members. That “success initiative” could mean $20 million to $25 million more for a school in a big year, based primarily on football like everything else in college athletics.

It also could incentivize more investments in those revenue-driving programs, with the aim of generating their own bump to the bottom line alongside winning championships.

“We’re seeing more and more of a movement toward if you generate it, you get it,” North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in an interview with The Associated Press. <-

-> The ACC’s model centers around the expanded 12-team College Football Playoff. Teams could earn $4 million for an appearance, another $4 million for reaching the second round, $6 million for the semifinals and $6 million for the title game — a total of $20 million.

Teams also can earn success money by finishing in the top 25 of the CFP rankings and reaching a bowl game. And football money is positioned to climb.

“That grows as we go forward because those other numbers grow, and the CFP dollars grow,” ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips said. <-
I find it amusing that FSU was part of the reason that this new revenue sharing model was adopted, and in the first year of the models existence FSU might earn less money as a result. Awesome.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I find it amusing that FSU was part of the reason that this new revenue sharing model was adopted, and in the first year of the models existence FSU might earn less money as a result. Awesome.
Seth Meyers Yes GIF by PeacockTV

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I love how after the merit based revenue distribution was approived, FSU began complainiing about the value of their football brand and how that was what the revenue distributions should have been based on.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Norvell had a big year at the perfect time. The threat of another program pursuing him allowed him to score big, and I give him credit for that. I'm just surprised that a lot of people were so all in on their team this year. They had a great group of transfers last year, but it was 6th year Jordan Travis who was the reason for that season. They had quite a few escapes last year, and when he went down they were not even close to the team that was winning. And that was before the bowl game they didn't bother to show up for. It's really hard to hit that big in the portal year after year, but I guess people just expected it. They may get things together as the season goes on, but they look really weak so far.
Michigan State was the same in 2021. Mel Tucker had a Heisman candidate he pulled from the portal. Kenneth Walker had a dream season, won the Walter Camp and Doak Walker award and was a unanimous All American. Mel Tucker beat Michigan and was signed to a $100 million contract. The team was not good in ‘22 and ‘23 and was fired with cause in ‘23 for something he should not have been doing over a conference call. They are afraid he would go to a bigger team, so they signed him for 10 years and $100 million.

Reaction Score
I’m not a fan of unequal revenue sharing, but i can get behind it if it is merit based. This brand based revenue is a crock. That’s just a beauty contest at that point.

Reaction Score
They'd like us to believe that

"when it comes to the ACC adding SMU, California, and Stanford, ESPN’s messaging is that the conference did it of its own volition. That’s according to Jeramy Michiaels, an ESPN senior director who oversees the ACC Network and manages ESPN’s relationship with the league."

"“We’re very careful to not be part of the expansion discussion,” Michiaels said. “So the conference will come to us and ask us questions that are more about what markets are advantageous, but we’re very, very careful to not be part of talking about specific schools."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

IMG_4346.jpeg

The second key point was Maryland’s withdrawal in 2013. There was a 10-2 vote in the conference to increase the withdrawal penalty in 2012 to three times the ACC’s operating budget, opposed by Maryland and Florida State but supported by Clemson. However, all members except Maryland voted to approve litigation against Maryland for the withdrawal fee and accepted payment from it. Therefore, the ACC claims, FSU and Clemson can’t have a problem with the same withdrawal penalty and process now. The withdrawal penalty is now around $140 million. The grant of rights was created after Maryland’s departure.

Reaction Score
All members except Maryland voted to approve litigation against Maryland for the withdrawal fee and accepted payment from it. Therefore, the ACC claims, FSU and Clemson can’t have a problem with the same withdrawal penalty and process now. The withdrawal penalty is now around $140 million. The grant of rights was created after Maryland’s departure.
Makes perfect sense.

Reaction Score
Don't blame the guys...work hard all year.....they go 13-0 and are an undefeated P4 conference champion ....and of course, Bama in Saban's last season could not be locked out...

The FSU starters opted out...13 went to NFL rosters...others transferred.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Don't blame the guys...work hard all year.....they go 13-0 and are an undefeated P4 conference champion ....and of course, Bama in Saban's last season could not be locked out...

The FSU starters opted out...13 went to NFL rosters...others transferred.
Maybe not blame, but they are rightly criticized. When UCF went undefeated and wasn't invited for the playoffs, they still showed up for their bowl game to prove that yes, even under duress of being looked over, they had the mental and physical toughness to beat their opponent whoever it was (besting a fairly competent Auburn team in the process). If only bowl playoff games have any meaning, then why bother playing all these other bowls? I grew up loving these bowls from mid-December to early Jan, so I'd like to see teams happy to be playing in one. I get not wanting to get injured prior to the draft, but come on, how many of these opt-out players would have been seriously injured to the extent that their lottery number would fall? Totally agree that they got shafted so that King Saban could be given the red carpet.

Reaction Score
When you see your QB go out with an ACL…why jeopardize earnings of millions of dollars by playing a meaningless game ?

It is a sound business decision for those kids going to the NFL. Since 95 percent of college players do not make the NFL, they can afford to be rah-rah. But half of FSU’ starters (offensive and defensive) have NFL careers.

Reaction Score
I just read that 39 percent of the 2023 MAC All Conference First Team (that.had a remaining year), transferred to a P4. Why? They thought the rah-rah factor was less important than their personal goals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom