February - Other Big East Games | Page 16 | The Boneyard

February - Other Big East Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did I miss an update of your original 5-15 Big East prediction for the Friars, or are you just counting on few remembering?

I'm not even bringing it up as a gotcha. It's just that the comment above comes as a surprise unless there is an update, and I'd want to read it if there is one. If you recall, I liked initial post and the responses it generated.

Don’t look for a reply anytime soon. Nelson can’t handle his cage getting rattled a bit. If you refute one of his posts with a legit argument or data, he withers like a dying plant.

Reaction Score
Those posters complaining about the refs just missed an incredible college basketball game. The kids on both teams went at it for 2 OTs without any let up. The spread never got more than 4 points for the entire 2nd half until the end of the 2nd OT. The 2 coaches hardly used their benches but the kids were still giving it everything they had right down to the wire. Great game by Creighton on the road after a 1200 mile flight to get there. Great effort by the Providence players fight and scrap to the bitter end,

Some posters watch the refs and miss what the players are doing. Too bad. That game last night was classic Big East basketball. As good as it gets. I’m sorry that some people here missed it.

Reaction Score
Those posters complaining about the refs just missed an incredible college basketball game. The kids on both teams went at it for 2 OTs without any let up. The spread never got more than 4 points for the entire 2nd half until the end of the 2nd OT. The 2 coaches hardly used their benches but the kids were still giving it everything they had right down to the wire. Great game by Creighton on the road after a 1200 mile flight to get there. Great effort by the Providence players fight and scrap to the bitter end,

Some posters watch the refs and miss what the players are doing. Too bad. That game last night was classic Big East basketball. As good as it gets. I’m sorry that some people here missed it.
The only point of my complaints was that if WE were playing it would have been called much differently, at least to us. It was an extremely physical game, and not many fouls. We would have lost at least 3 to fouls. The refs also missed an easy goaltending call.

Reaction Score
The only point of my complaints was that if WE were playing it would have been called much differently, at least to us. It was an extremely physical game, and not many fouls. We would have lost at least 3 to fouls. The refs also missed an easy goaltending call.

This kind of complaining his pointless. The refs are what they are and we have to accept that. With all of their imperfections, they’re simply part of the game. Where you go off the rails is when you claim “. . . if WE were playing, it would have been called much differently, at least to us.”

Have you ever come on and posted that the refs favored us and were unfair to the other team?

Anyway, who goes to a basketball game for the purpose of critiquing the refs? I sure don’t.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn has the highest ceiling in the Big East. PC has the highest floor. Marquette, Xavier and Creighton are somewhere in the middle. I'd argue Marquette with the next highest floor, and Xavier with the next highest ceiling (with Freemantle).

I think we see how this manifests. UConn can blow out the #1 team in the country, PC can't do that. UConn loses home games to St. Johns, PC isn't going to do that.

Reaction Score
That trap was brilliant. So unexpected in that situation.
The trap was great, but unexpected? What should the D do when there are 2 defenders right next to an offensive player who gets the inbounds pass essentially in one of the coffin corners? It would have been more surprising if they didn’t trap him…

Reaction Score
Friar J. Always liked you as a poster and you are usually even keeled and intelligent. Don’t stoop to this level. I don’t like PC but you guys have had better seasons than us the last couple of years.

Orc

Reaction Score
UConn has the highest ceiling in the Big East. PC has the highest floor. Marquette, Xavier and Creighton are somewhere in the middle. I'd argue Marquette with the next highest floor, and Xavier with the next highest ceiling (with Freemantle).

I think we see how this manifests. UConn can blow out the #1 team in the country, PC can't do that. UConn loses home games to St. Johns, PC isn't going to do that.
Probably true statement last december. Imho PC is better than Uconn this year. They know how to win tight games which uconn is sadly allergic to for many years now.

Reaction Score
The trap was great, but unexpected? What should the D do when there are 2 defenders right next to an offensive player who gets the inbounds pass essentially in one of the coffin corners? It would have been more surprising if they didn’t trap him…
With 11 seconds left I would not say that is standard. If they broke that trap quickly it’s all of a sudden 4 or against 3 with the game on the line.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Did I miss an update of your original 5-15 Big East prediction for the Friars, or are you just counting on few remembering?

I'm not even bringing it up as a gotcha. It's just that the comment above comes as a surprise unless there is an update, and I'd want to read it if there is one. If you recall, I liked initial post and the responses it generated.

Don’t look for a reply anytime soon. Nelson can’t handle his cage getting rattled a bit. If you refute one of his posts with a legit argument or data, he withers like a dying plant.

I bumped the 1/9 Prediction thread you two drama queens.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

McDermott hasn't exactly impressed me with some of the decisions he's made this year. I believe it was at the end of regulation when there were about 10 seconds in a tied game and he had two timeouts, he didn't use one to draw up a play and Creighton got a questionable shot. Then the trap happened and he didn't call timeout or have his guys ready to do the same in that spot. I also thought he didn't do a good job making adjustments in the first game we played them were Sanogo kept posting up down low and he had no answer for it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
we hack more than a patient in a pneumonia ward.
'we're number 301 in least hacks per game!'
'we're number 301 in least hacks per game!'

nice chant...not.
NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Personal Fouls per Game | TeamRankings.com
watching all this hacking this season makes me want to hock up a lougey, and fire it at the tube.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I bumped the 1/9 Prediction thread you two drama queens.
I solicited an update, specifically because I was uncertain, knew I could be off, and wanted to know more. I even addressed my intent, offering awareness that it might be a look alike for a gotcha.

Please assist me in locating this 'bump." If not, I'm left regarding your incomplete response as overly dramatic. This would boost @CheshireCat's, which I found otherwise too conclusive to endorse.

This one' s actually pretty easy to clarify. I'm just asking for the benefit of your sharing the head start you seem to be saying you have.

Truly, thanks in advance, no less than my acknowledging in advance that I sought to avoid apologies for potentially jumping the gun by fixing on something out-of-date and amended.

Successful closure on the specifics would honor my respectful request and place Cheshire Cat's comment in fuller context. Who would object to that?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
McDermott hasn't exactly impressed me with some of the decisions he's made this year. I believe it was at the end of regulation when there were about 10 seconds in a tied game and he had two timeouts, he didn't use one to draw up a play and Creighton got a questionable shot. Then the trap happened and he didn't call timeout or have his guys ready to do the same in that spot. I also thought he didn't do a good job making adjustments in the first game we played them were Sanogo kept posting up down low and he had no answer for it.

I didnt mind the no timeout under 10. Some coaches think that aids the Defense too, it wasn't a bad play by Nembhard he is quick, obviously looking for a foul attacking the rim, he got there, just better defense by carter.

Reaction Score
This kind of complaining his pointless. The refs are what they are and we have to accept that. With all of their imperfections, they’re simply part of the game. Where you go off the rails is when you claim “. . . if WE were playing, it would have been called much differently, at least to us.”

Have you ever come on and posted that the refs favored us and were unfair to the other team?

Anyway, who goes to a basketball game for the purpose of critiquing the refs? I sure don’t.
I only complain if there is a huge disparity in calls. Fair is fair. Just call the same way for each team, then they can adjust. So far, we've on the wrong end of some very lopsidedly called games. I don't excuse the sometimes boneheaded fouls we commit either.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I didnt mind the no timeout under 10. Some coaches think that aids the Defense too, it wasn't a bad play by Nembhard he is quick, obviously looking for a foul attacking the rim, he got there, just better defense by carter.

That's fair, although I hope Nembhard didn't actually think he would get a foul call on the road with under 10 seconds left in a tie game.

Reaction Score
That trap was brilliant. So unexpected in that situation.
The trap was 100% a surprise to Creighton and vaporized whatever play they were going to run.

However, if you-know-who Corey Floyd doesn't make an equally heads up play and deflect the oop to the basket CU still wins that game in regulation. This is 2 big time games Floyd is trusted by Ed Cooley at the end of the game to be on the floor. Not saying he is better or worse than anyone for Uconn or Prov or any other Big East team but Ed Cooley trusts him in big time situations.

And Carter is just an absolute animal on both ends. Sophomore.

Reaction Score
I only complain if there is a huge disparity in calls. Fair is fair. Just call the same way for each team, then they can adjust. So far, we've on the wrong end of some very lopsidedly called games. I don't excuse the sometimes boneheaded fouls we commit either.

Why complain when there is a disparity in calls? Are you saying that there aren’t games in which one team fouls more than the other?

And frankly I never see posters here complaining when the disparity favors us.

Reaction Score
The trap was 100% a surprise to Creighton and vaporized whatever play they were going to run.

However, if you-know-who Corey Floyd doesn't make an equally heads up play and deflect the oop to the basket CU still wins that game in regulation. This is 2 big time games Floyd is trusted by Ed Cooley at the end of the game to be on the floor. Not saying he is better or worse than anyone for Uconn or Prov or any other Big East team but Ed Cooley trusts him in big time situations.

And Carter is just an absolute animal on both ends. Sophomore.

I think a guy we recruited and they got is the one that hurts us the most. Locke as it turned out would’ve been a very good addition kid can shoot it and score.

Reaction Score
We think too much about providence on this board. No I wouldn’t want to be where pc is as a program over where we are as a program. And I wouldn’t want Cooley as a coach instead of Hurley. Call me crazy. But Hurley’s ceiling is much higher. The End. Let PC do PC. Let’s figure our ish out

Reaction Score
Devin Carter deserves a lot of credit as he fought over the Kalkbrenner pick on that last OT play

August_West

Reaction Score
We think too much about providence on this board. No I wouldn’t want to be where pc is as a program over where we are as a program. And I wouldn’t want Cooley as a coach instead of Hurley. Call me crazy. But Hurley’s ceiling is much higher. The End. Let PC do PC. Let’s figure our ish out
It’s better than thinking about Tulsa, no?

I guess I want to hope hurleys ceiling is higher? How do you know that? You don’t. What’s your metrics. What metrics does Hurley have that shows a higher ceiling than Cooley? I’ll hang up and listen

Reaction Score
Cooley is working with way less. We're in the same conference but we're not supposed to be sweating Providence.

UConn's ceiling/floor/everything else is way higher than Providence's but here we are with Providence having a better regular season than UConn again and Cooley owning Hurley head to head.

We need to take care of business next week against them and start dominating them.

August_West

Reaction Score

That is well put

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET