February - Other Big East Games | Page 17 | The Boneyard

February - Other Big East Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s better than thinking about Tulsa, no?

I guess I want to hope hurleys ceiling is higher? How do you know that? You don’t. What’s your metrics. What metrics does Hurley have that shows a higher ceiling than Cooley? I’ll hang up and listen
I mean there’s what 8 other BE teams to talk about and compare ourselves to.

I’m looking at ceiling in terms of recruiting combined with what Hurley is already good at. The areas he’s deficient in I believe can be corrected.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to wrap my head around which is closer to the truth: that Alabama is playing like the mid-February #1 ranked team they currently are, or the SEC just sucks out loud this year, and the coaches have yet to reconcile that fact?

Or somewhere in between.

Reaction Score
Cooley is working with way less. We're in the same conference but we're not supposed to be sweating Providence.

UConn's ceiling/floor/everything else is way higher than Providence's but here we are with Providence having a better regular season than UConn again and Cooley owning Hurley head to head.

We need to take care of business next week against them and start dominating them.
I agree with everything said here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It’s better than thinking about Tulsa, no?

I guess I want to hope hurleys ceiling is higher? How do you know that? You don’t. What’s your metrics. What metrics does Hurley have that shows a higher ceiling than Cooley? I’ll hang up and listen
If it takes Hurley a decade here to finish first in the conference the end of the regular season and make a sweet sixteen I will gladly state that his ceiling is not any higher than Cooley's.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We play for National titles, PC plays for Big East regular season titles. Let them have their fun, they don’t have the talent to make it to the Elite 8. UConn most certainly does. Let’s see how the rest of the season plays out before we start freaking out over a mediocre Providence team.
PC took care of business and UConn hasn’t Plan simple elementary
Talent only takes you so far. Besides PC has a pg huge advantage
Coaching makes a difference

Reaction Score
Marquette/Xavier is fun to watch after a brickfest of a first half

Stevie Mitchell is looking really good. Everywhere on defense and is doing pretty well offensively too

As I type this, Nunge airballs a free throw

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If it takes Hurley a decade here to finish first in the conference the end of the regular season and make a sweet sixteen I will gladly state that his ceiling is not any higher than Cooley's.
Whelp 5 years are almost done.with Hurley, Cooley won Big East tourney title in year 3. Next?

August_West

Reaction Score

I’m looking at ceiling in terms of recruiting combined with what Hurley is already good at. The areas he’s deficient in I believe can be corrected.
Kevin Ollie had best recruits in AAC and a top 10 class in country in 16. Next? What does that mean if you can’t coach em to league wins?

August_West

Reaction Score
I mean Ewing has a BE tourney title. I don’t think that marks a “good” coach. Disclaimer: I’m not saying Cooley isn’t a good coach
Patrick have a big East regular season tittle too? Over performing with lesser talent is a thing. Cooley does it. Does Hurley?

Reaction Score
Patrick have a big East regular season tittle too? Over performing with lesser talent is a thing. Cooley does it. Does Hurley?
Sometimes. At URI he absolutely over performed. He had tournament wins at URI. That’s a pretty big over achievement with the talent he had

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Imagine if PC played their games on campus…man talk about tough place to play!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

The big one is because out of all the Big East teams their fans are by far the most insufferable. They’re Cuse without a winning history. It’s annoying when see a team who’s less talented than us winning.

Reaction Score
So then he failed at UConn with more talent? Is that your contention?
No. I don’t see what he’s done so far at UConn as a “fail”. Considering where we were when he got here. He’s exponentially more good than bad. Were in a good spot

Reaction Score
The big one is because out of all the Big East teams their fans are by far the most insufferable. They’re Cuse without a winning history. It’s annoying when see a team who’s less talented than us winning.
But just to keep things in perspective, we have almost identical records. They’ve just played their best ball in conference while we’ve played our best out of conference. We also have better wins and are ranked higher. And have been for the majority of the season. Let’s see how the season plays out before we anoint them has having had a better season.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Whelp 5 years are almost done.with Hurley, Cooley won Big East tourney title in year 3. Next?
Yeah but Hurley was also able to win NCAA tournament games at his prior, step below stop. How many did Cooley win at Fairfield?

I believe that Hurley warrants criticism but I do get irritated when the terms of any debate starts shifting. Additionally, Cooley isn't exactly Dean Smith or Bobby Knight, and I believe that if he were here and took a decade to make it to the sweet sixteen he'd have been lambasted worse than what we're currently doing to Hurley starting around the same time frame we started turning on Hurley.

Reaction Score
You don’t? 6th place in big East on year 5 is a good spot?
It’s a disappointing conference season(every coach has those including Calhoun the Christ). 14-0 also happened. A disappointing conference season doesn’t make his time at UConn a fail.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It’s a disappointing conference season(every coach has those including Calhoun the Christ). 14-0 also happened. A disappointing conference season doesn’t make his time at UConn a fail.
We need to stop bringing Calhoun into these arguments. It’s insulting to him

Reaction Score
14-0 happened indeed. Actually makes this worse though.
Does it? I actually take more from the 14-0 start than the bad month in conference. It’s more indicative of what they’ll see in the tournament

Reaction Score
Marquette taking advantage of the home court energy (and reffing) right now). Xavier might still have a punch left though.

Reaction Score
We need to stop bringing Calhoun into these arguments. It’s insulting to him
It’s not just Calhoun. It’s almost every coach in every sport that has existed. Disappointing stretches and seasons are apart of sports. Taking one disappointing conference season and using it as a referendum on his entire tenure is ludicrous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom