February - Other Big East Games | Page 15 | The Boneyard

February - Other Big East Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
  1. @ Xavier was close late until we collapsed.
  2. v. Xavier was not close, then we made it close, and we shot ourselves in the foot.
  3. @ Marquette was close, then we had Andre Jackson take a 3 with 50 seconds left. Karaban kept us in late.
  4. @ Seton Hall was a coaching and player IQ malpractice.
  5. @ Creighton we shot ourselves in the foot, no one was able to take over and create.
  6. @ PC we cut it to 5 w/ less than 5 to go and we again had Andre jack 3’s, coupled with our guards missing FTs, and defensively getting eaten alive.

Most of these games are close, 1-3 possessions late, until we act like idiots and let the other team blow the game open. It’s our reality at this point - we don’t have a floor general. It’s a trend that will continue.

1) @X was more of a Hurley tech
2) this was lost in the first half
3) @ Marquette
4) @SHU (and the one I think we should have won. It was poor coaching, bad rebounding) This is the one I agree with to an extent.
5) @ Creighton
6) @ PC

All those @s (aside from SHU) are undefeated at home in BE play.

#2 we disagree. I am of the opinion it was lost in the first half, you disagree. Fine, I don't think we will come to an agreement here.

SHU we agree to an extent, I do agree it was poor coaching but it was also the game UConn played without Hurley and Young, so can't put this on his head.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the previous two seasons, we lost 6 games each in league.
we're already at 7, with more yet to play.

this is not hard to learn. it's on the internet.

ummmm, going out on a big limb here, yet no matter how i cypher or beagle it, 7 is more than 6.
period.

Reaction Score
Providence is competing for back to back regular season titles, UConn is competing for 5th place.
We play for National titles, PC plays for Big East regular season titles. Let them have their fun, they don’t have the talent to make it to the Elite 8. UConn most certainly does. Let’s see how the rest of the season plays out before we start freaking out over a mediocre Providence team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You convinced me, Providence does not depend on friendly home officiating at all, which is why they have so many high quality road and neutral wins. What are Providence's high quality road/neutral wins? #85 Villanova? #62 Seton Hall?

caw

Reaction Score
We lost to SJU at home. Actually we got bitchslapped by them at home. Do you watch games? You want to penalize providence for losing a road game against a team that punk’d us at home?

Sigh, you missed the point.

My point was road games, and especially close road games against the top teams in the BE are pretty much impossible and even against teams 6-10 it's hard, which is partially because refs do swallow their whistle against the road team in a close game. That is exactly where I am hanging my hat.

My god you all are fantastic on moving the line. SJU blowing out UConn has little to do with it, it wasn't a close game as you said. It doesn't fall into the discussion being had about close road games.

If it was closer I imagine UConn would have gotten a favorable whistle at home to end the game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We lost to SJU at home. Actually we got bitchslapped by them at home. Do you watch games? You want to penalize providence for losing a road game against a team that punk’d us at home?

So UConn losing to St. Johns makes Providence better? Walk me through this logic.

Reaction Score
Damn August I am trying to erase that game from memory. It was humbling watching Creighton blow out St John's by 30 in Omaha and watching Nova and Seton Hall sweep them as well

Reaction Score
I'll say it. I am 100% convinced there is bias against UConn. Some teams wanted us because it was good for the conference. Some didn't because it was bad for them. They know UConn is not in for the long haul. I love being in the conference but I'll shed no tears when we move on.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Soriano is a good, old school center. Doesn't get the ball enough.

Edit: SJU/Depaul game is a fun finish to the night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) @X was more of a Hurley tech
2) this was lost in the first half
3) @ Marquette
4) @SHU (and the one I think we should have won. It was poor coaching, bad rebounding) This is the one I agree with to an extent.
5) @ Creighton
6) @ PC

All those @s (aside from SHU) are undefeated at home in BE play.

#2 we disagree. I am of the opinion it was lost in the first half, you disagree. Fine, I don't think we will come to an agreement here.

SHU we agree to an extent, I do agree it was poor coaching but it was also the game UConn played without Hurley and Young, so can't put this on his head.
Should have won @marquette. We were up what 11 or 15 in the first half and then Hurley sat the guys responsible for giving us the lead.

Reaction Score
I'll say it. I am 100% convinced there is bias against UConn. Some teams wanted us because it was good for the conference. Some didn't because it was bad for them. They know UConn is not in for the long haul. I love being in the conference but I'll shed no tears when we move on.
I think a lot of this is spot on. But neither they, nor UConn, has any idea what long-term means. I don’t think the conference realignment has finished, but the opportunity for upward mobility is probably lower than ever. Even the ACC will be ravaged soon. It will be 20 team SEC and B1G, and the rest will make do as minor leagues for them. Being independent in fb might be as good as we get.

caw

Reaction Score
Should have won @marquette. We were up what 11 or 15 in the first half and then Hurley sat the guys responsible for giving us the lead.
Perhaps but:

For this I will make two caveats, top four - highlighted. 1) BE play 2) I am defining three possession wins as close games (if someone wants to argue something else, give the criteria and data for all the games for each of the teams below).

X has played 10 close games. 3-2 away (UConn, SJU, Nova / Depaul, Butler) 5-0 at home (Creighton, Marquette, PC, SHU, Georgetown)

Marquette has played seven close games. 1-2 away (Nova / PC, X), 4-0 (UConn, PC, Nova, Butler) at home

PC has played nine close games. 2-4 away (SHU, Nova / Creighton, Marquette, X, SJU). 3-0 home (Marquette, Creighton, SJU)

Creighton has played six close games. 0-3 away (UConn, X, PC). 3-0 Home (PC, UConn, Nova)

Do I think refs have a hand in those away records? Yes. I do feel the home whistle does exist.

Or are the coaches of those teams suddenly worse on the road in close games than at home?

The players worse?

Point being, UConn has it's issues (X and SJU losses being high on the list) but close road wins are tough to get in the BE.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You aren't very good at predicting things.
Did I miss an update of your original 5-15 Big East prediction for the Friars, or are you just counting on few remembering?

I'm not even bringing it up as a gotcha. It's just that the comment above comes as a surprise unless there is an update, and I'd want to read it if there is one. If you recall, I liked initial post and the responses it generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom