Emmitt Matthews Jr Official Visit this weekend | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Emmitt Matthews Jr Official Visit this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is he a SG or SF? Have seen him listed as a SF, but have also seen talk of him being a guard. Only reason why I wonder is if he comes in as a SF, and Polley slots at the SF, then we may be able to slide Sid Wilson (6'6) to SG and no longer have the problem of only having 3 guards. The fact that we aren't actively recruiting another Guard (outside of Carey), but are still going after another SF and big leads me to believe that the staff may slot Wilson as a SG, and play Polley at the SF with another recruit coming in to play SF as well. Moving Polley from the PF to the SF would also open up space in the front court, which may explain why we are going after another big. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Is he a SG or SF? Have seen him listed as a SF, but have also seen talk of him being a guard. Only reason why I wonder is if he comes in as a SF, and Polley slots at the SF, then we may be able to slide Sid Wilson (6'6) to SG and no longer have the problem of only having 3 guards. The fact that we aren't actively recruiting another Guard (outside of Carey), but are still going after another SF and big leads me to believe that the staff may slot Wilson as a SG, and play Polley at the SF with another recruit coming in to play SF as well. Moving Polley from the PF to the SF would also open up space in the front court, which may explain why we are going after another big. Thoughts?
It's not that complicated. Calling Wilson a guard doesn't mean we don't only have 3 guards. Wilson will probably guard some 2s if we go big and 3s at other times. Polley will probably guard 4s if we go small and 3s at other times. Positions don't matter, just ability and potential.

Reaction Score
It's not that complicated. Calling Wilson a guard doesn't mean we don't only have 3 guards. Wilson will probably guard some 2s if we go big and 3s at other times. Polley will probably guard 4s if we go small and 3s at other times. Positions don't matter, just ability and potential.
Right, but if we got a 4th PG type (6' to 6'3) I feel like there'd be a logjam of players who fit into the prototypical SF

Reaction Score
We're getting ahead of ourselves here, but in a lineup featuring Wilson, Polley, and Matthews, I think positionally you'd see:

2: Matthews
3: Wilson
4: Polley

Polley is taller than Wilson according to those team photos, is less of a ball handler, and has an excellent baseline/mid range jumper. He's the ideal stretch 4, although his rebounding is worse than Wilson's.

Wilson is maybe the most versatile because of his athleticism. He's also the best iso scorer of the three.

The good thing about this group is that they could ideally switch men on defense without skipping much of a beat. That would be very nice.

Reaction Score
We're getting ahead of ourselves here, but in a lineup featuring Wilson, Polley, and Matthews, I think positionally you'd see:

Polley is taller than Wilson according to those team photos, is less of a ball handler, and has an excellent baseline/mid range jumper. He's the ideal stretch 4, although his rebounding is worse than Wilson's.

Wilson is maybe the most versatile because of his athleticism. He's also the best iso scorer of the three.

The good thing about this group is that they could ideally switch men on defense without skipping much of a beat. That would be very nice.
Sounds like positionless basketball! Love it.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

Positionless basketball in a nut shell.... look what we have going!!!!

Reaction Score
Verbal Commits lists him as a SG for what that is worth. 247 has him as a SF.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

With Gilbert, Vital and Akinjo in the back court? I'm excited, I like the way the roster is taking shape potentially.

Reaction Score
I like his game a lot, and I'd love to get a tall lefty shooter to add to our guard play ... I don't know that he's got Kelly Oubre athleticism though ...

The good news is he doesnt have Oubre athleticism and it's also great news that you can see the similarities. Best news is he wouldn't leave after a year like Kelly.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My grandmother spent my entire freshman year of college thinking I was going to college in Alaska after I told her I was going to UConn
When I told my grandmother (who was born and raised in SF) that I was going to UConn in 1990, she asked me why in the world would I want to go to school in Alaska.

Reaction Score
When I told my grandmother (who was born and raised in SF) that I was going to UConn in 1990, she asked me why in the world would I want to go to school in Alaska.

The recurring theme seems to be that people are not only unaware of the University of Connecticut's nickname, but they don't know where the Yukon they've heard of is.

C

Chief00

Many people don’t remember or weren’t alive then, but Calhoun started out with tough and physical, won some games and then was able to attract shooters/scorers. He always said it made the game easier without of course losing the tough intensity that was his brand. Part of the Blaze discussions was getting shooters - last season was just too hard offensively, too often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
First crystal ball this morning. Expecting more over the next couple days - in line with what I am hearing on going all in on Matthews to get the commit this weekend.

Staff landing solid 3 & 4 stars, returning to winning ways, then we land the whales class of '19, '20

Reaction Score
First crystal ball this morning. Expecting more over the next couple days - in line with what I am hearing on going all in on Matthews to get the commit this weekend.

Staff landing solid 3 & 4 stars, returning to winning ways, then we land the whales class of '19, '20

We getting back to a decent conference in '19 or '20? Because I don't see us landing whales again until that happens...

Reaction Score
Returning to a national brand will alleviate some of the negative recruiting we are experiencing because of conference. Get to tourney in consecutive years, make runs and build off of that. Taking advantage of positive momentum will be a huge selling point. Being part of a movement something special is appealing. OOC scheduling big too. you put that piece of paper in front of recruits when they say they want P-5 schedule. Staff has new life and outlook in their efforts

C

Chief00

Agree that’s the strategy.

Reaction Score
Returning to a national brand will alleviate some of the negative recruiting we are experiencing because of conference. Get to tourney in consecutive years, make runs and build off of that. Taking advantage of positive momentum will be a huge selling point. Being part of a movement something special is appealing. OOC scheduling big too. you put that piece of paper in front of recruits when they say they want P-5 schedule. Staff has new life and outlook in their efforts
Terrific post sir. This train is rolling along, gathering steam. All the right moves being made. Great to see! Tough years come and go, but I never lost my faith in the continuing excellence of the Uconn basketball program. Bleed Blue.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Assuming no transfers, there will only be 2 open scholarships for the '19 class. The only graduating senior in '18-'19 will be Cobb.

Reaction Score
Assuming no transfers, there will only be 2 open scholarships for the '19 class. The only graduating senior in '18-'19 will be Cobb.
Although there will be a 24 year old potentially graduating junior in Kwintin Williams

Reaction Score
We getting back to a decent conference in '19 or '20? Because I don't see us landing whales again until that happens...

Winning can land us players like Jalen Adams and Daniel Hamilton.

These are whales. They were the type of impact players that Calhoun landed during the best of times. Hamilton didn't turn out so well. But winning ways this year means that Adams did.

The problem with UConn is all the losing from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom