Emmitt Matthews Jr Official Visit this weekend | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Emmitt Matthews Jr Official Visit this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Would love to get Carey, but Matthews adds a dimension that UConn has not had in a while and would be a nice fall back. His highlight film was a little bit of Hamilton, but a better handle and smoother natural stroke, and seems to be better finisher in the paint. Hamilton really never fit in a true wing player. He may not have Hamilton's passing ability, but with Alterique and Akinjo and a little bit of Vital UConn doesn't need another distributor. Could be a classic 2-3 or 4 player depending on which line-up Ollie wants to use against a given opponent. Question for those who know better. How much does Matthews seem like Tyler Polley in the 2017 class?
Was going to write the same thing about him and DHam. More DHam than JLamb.

Would love to get Carey and this kid but if we get Matthews and only Matthews let's hope it turns into a similar situation as a JLamb being better for us than the missed DLamb.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Why is this kid not top 100? I havent seen any games, but his production and effeciency speak for themselves
Well, looks like he just grew 3 inches...there is a difference being 6'4 and 6'7 in the eyes of scouts. The kid that was once a bit undersized now has excellent length...just my $0.02

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Why is this kid not top 100? I havent seen any games, but his production and effeciency speak for themselves
Who wants to travel to Tacoma Washington. Scouting agencies have limitations. Let's hope the staff has found a diamond.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I almost want to forget about my leg infection from the @^!%$@ Diallo incident to actually dust off my intel kit and get up to Storrs. But I am not passing up Pat Benatar at the Durham Fair this weekend. Sorry. Not sorry.

Reaction Score
Low ranking but skilled with size and seems to have a high ceiling. The question is, does this qualify as Tuna? I'm going to vote yes.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. 6-7 is pretty frightful to be up against as a guard. Cutting off the passing lanes
and guarding/shot blocking on the perimeter leading to transition baskets not to mention the offensive skills to finish. Become a part of the nightmare of toughness being assembled at Storrs.

This. Sid Vicious & Akinjo are touted as above average defenders and seems like KO and the crew are looking to assemble a lockdown D.

Sign me up

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. 6-7 is pretty frightful to be up against as a guard. Cutting off the passing lanes
and guarding/shot blocking on the perimeter leading to transition baskets not to mention the offensive skills to finish. Become a part of the nightmare of toughness being assembled at Storrs.
Length on the perimeter can really make a difference. SMU had a great defense last year with a short frontcourt, and a large part of that was because between Milton, Brown, Foster, and Emelogu, the shortest person was 6'5. They denied a ton of entry passes and let Ojeleye and Moore hold their position much easier.

Shabazz and Boat didn't have that type of size, but they did an excellent job of denying entry passes in the 2014 title run, which definitely came in clutch by taking some defensive pressure off of Deandre Daniels.

Alterique has the defensive fire and quickness to help our perimeter defense this year. Last year Adams was understandably gassed fairly often, limiting his ability to assert himself defensively. Hopefully we improve this year even though we certainly won't have plus length at either guard spot.

Reaction Score
Lack of exposure is certainly a factor. Matthews himself is very vocal about how little attention anyone from Washington gets outside of Seattle.

Also there's the issue of track record against top tier talent. Matthews has grown a lot and switched positions over the past year. The summer sessions aren't insignificant sample sizes, but they aren't huge either. If it's his first AAU season of playing on the perimeter, there's only so many opportunities that coaches/scouts have had to evaluate him.

Luckily, Matthews isn't the type who is putting up the numbers despite a bad frame or lack of athleticism. His measurables seem great and he seems to (at minimum) be an average athlete. Combine that with his efficiency and usage in UAA games this summer, and he seems like a diamond in the rough.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I like his game a lot, and I'd love to get a tall lefty shooter to add to our guard play ... I don't know that he's got Kelly Oubre athleticism though ...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Length on the perimeter can really make a difference. SMU had a great defense last year with a short frontcourt, and a large part of that was because between Milton, Brown, Foster, and Emelogu, the shortest person was 6'5. They denied a ton of entry passes and let Ojeleye and Moore hold their position much easier.
The difference between protecting the rim (good) vs. protecting the paint (better).

We haven't done a great job of protecting the paint since 2014, so we had to sell out to protect the rim. Against scrub teams that usually worked; against good teams who moved the ball well, not so much.

If this kid can help in that department, and can hit catch-and-shoot 3-pointers, I don't care if he never dribbles the ball even once. Sign him up.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I like Justin Jackson as a comparison.

He isn't as athletic as Oubre IMO.

I believe this was his first year playing for Washington Supreme, which could also be why is hasnt been seen as much.

The Oubre comparisons are generous. If he played like Kelly Oubre, well, he would be ranked a lot higher. That's the simple truth.

However, I do like his game like others do and I think he would be a nice fit.

Reaction Score
If he's 6'9" and possibly not done yet if he's grown 3 inches recently, this is a kid you want. A young man who was good enough with his skills to play the perimeter at a high division one level, but now finds himself big enough to guard a 4 or some 5s. That is not a replacement for Carey. That is potentially a bigger version of Daniels -- a guy who can effectively guard a big, but can stand on the perimeter and hit 3s if a big isn't guarding him and blow by him on the bounce if he is.

Reaction Score
The Oubre comparisons are generous. If he played like Kelly Oubre, well, he would be ranked a lot higher. That's the simple truth.

However, I do like his game like others do and I think he would be a nice fit.
I don't think the comparisons are being based on talent or productivity, but rather play style

Reaction Score
Lack of exposure is certainly a factor. Matthews himself is very vocal about how little attention anyone from Washington gets outside of Seattle.

Also there's the issue of track record against top tier talent. Matthews has grown a lot and switched positions over the past year. The summer sessions aren't insignificant sample sizes, but they aren't huge either. If it's his first AAU season of playing on the perimeter, there's only so many opportunities that coaches/scouts have had to evaluate him.

Luckily, Matthews isn't the type who is putting up the numbers despite a bad frame or lack of athleticism. His measurables seem great and he seems to (at minimum) be an average athlete. Combine that with his efficiency and usage in UAA games this summer, and he seems like a diamond in the rough.

How were his AAU numbers? I'm sure it hurt a bit playing in the UA Circuit which I think thats where he was.

Reaction Score
How were his AAU numbers? I'm sure it hurt a bit playing in the UA Circuit which I think thats where he was.
google washington supremes. he was the leading scorer. shoot 47% from 2 35% from 3, 85% in ft. 6'7" wingspan and 26% vertical. The sample was 16 games so that is enough to state that he is a good shooter. Now he might be Iggy B's replacement in our recruiting. Does not Carey since we need a SG

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Washington Supreme (UA) stats this summer: 26 MIN/G, 13.9 PPG, 47% FG, 36% 3P (4.1 3PA), 85% FT, 5.5 REB, .94 STL, .44 BLK.
3pt fg% needs improvement but kid has been working on it and I imagine his sudden growth will cause some need for readjustment.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
3pt fg% needs improvement but kid has been working on it and I imagine his sudden growth will cause some need for readjustment.

But that FT% gives me hope he's a better shooter than that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
But that FT% gives me hope he's a better shooter than that.
I agree. Was qualifying the low 3pt% numbers before people start panicking given that we are touting him as an incoming shooter.

Reaction Score
I agree. Was qualifying the low 3pt% numbers before people start panicking given that we are touting him as an incoming shooter.
4.1 3 point attempts per game is more than we'd see from him as well.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
4.1 3 point attempts per game is more than we'd see from him as well.
I'm hoping this kid heads north of 40% and the option remains open. But agree, there are potentially a lot of players ahead of current Matthews to not need 4 3pters/game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom