Emmitt Matthews Jr Official Visit this weekend | The Boneyard

Emmitt Matthews Jr Official Visit this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Twitter Tuesday: UConn's class, Florida targets, Syracuse, more...

Matt also brings up the idea of UConn grabbing a shooter for next year. This is exactly what the Huskies are looking for and while Carey may not be a shooter, he is a scorer that can take over a game. If not Carey, the Huskies may tap back into the West Coast as they host Emmitt Matthews, Jr., a wing from the state of Washington, for an official visit next weekend. West Virginia is the only program to have also set up an official visit date with the Pacific Northwest native as he should be valued for his shot-making and versatility given his 6-foot-7 standing stature.

Reaction Score
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Twitter Tuesday: UConn's class, Florida targets, Syracuse, more...

Matt also brings up the idea of UConn grabbing a shooter for next year. This is exactly what the Huskies are looking for and while Carey may not be a shooter, he is a scorer that can take over a game. If not Carey, the Huskies may tap back into the West Coast as they host Emmitt Matthews, Jr., a wing from the state of Washington, for an official visit next weekend. West Virginia is the only program to have also set up an official visit date with the Pacific Northwest native as he should be valued for his shot-making and versatility given his 6-foot-7 standing stature.

Love it, love it, love it...get this kid if he puts on twenty pounds of muscle he'll be a beast. I also love the idea of him playing off of Gilbert and Akinjo.

Reaction Score
Don't particularly get the "if not Carey" line. Matthews is a wing. Sign both (ideally) then save the last spot for a big.

Would have to think if Matthews commits there's no way Carey is coming to UConn. But that shouldn't stop the staff from going all out to get Matthews to commit on his visit.

Reaction Score
Would have to think if Matthews commits there's no way Carey is coming to UConn. But that shouldn't stop the staff from going all out to get Matthews to commit on his visit.
Why would it effect carey's decision though?? Matthews isn't a guard

Reaction Score
Why would it effect carry's decision though?? Matthews isn't a guard

Carey needs to make his mind up, if this kid wants to put the uni on can't wait and take chance. Take the long lefty if he's ready like his game. They call him a guard although very little in the video to show his handle in any length of time or traffic to identify. Even if 2/3 need scorers and kids who want to be here, too much of a chance the other kid wants to wear orange and play a zone so can't ask him to wait.

Reaction Score
Carey needs to make his mind up, if this kid wants to put the uni on can't wait and take chance. Take the long lefty if he's ready like his game. They call him a guard although very little in the video to show his handle in any length of time or traffic to identify. Even if 2/3 need scorers and kids who want to be here, too much of a chance the other kid wants to wear orange and play a zone so can't ask him to wait.
100% agree. We'd be fools to "hold" a spot for carey. With Diallo I understood it, but Carey isnt that caliber of player.

Reaction Score
Why would it effect carey's decision though?? Matthews isn't a guard

He's probably technically a 3 but he can definitely play the perimeter. The article describes him as a versatile wing and shooter. Just going on all the pub that Carey 's camp is concerned with playing time and the number of UConn's guards. IMO adding another perimeter player especially in the same class would end it with Carey.

Reaction Score
He's probably technically a 3 but he can definitely play the perimeter. The article describes him as a versatile wing and shooter. Just going on all the pub that Carey 's camp is concerned with playing time and the number of UConn's guards. IMO adding another perimeter player especially in the same class would end it with Carey.
If signing a wing "ends" it with Carey then good riddance because that means he never wanted to be here anyway

Reaction Score
If signing a wing "ends" it with Carey then good riddance because that means he never wanted to be here anyway

I'm with you it's just more talent to add to the mix and going on feel from what's coming out of Carey's camp. I guess the main point is the staff shouldn't worry about how it might affect Carey's decision.

Reaction Score
If he can defend the 2 in college that would be awesome. We could use someone in the Mikal Bridges mold for sure.

Reaction Score
Here's some insight on his game from an August article in a Tacoma paper. Looks like we could bring him in as a longer SG. Would love to see some more on this kid, I'm intrigued.

So what’s made Matthews such an intriguing prospect?

Start with the 6-foot-7 frame. And he said he’s expanded his game, now focusing on being a shooting guard compared to the stretch forward he had been playing the past two years as a Wilson starter, including when he led the Rams to the Tacoma Dome in March. He said he’s worked on his ball-handling and improved his 3-point shot.

So to add offers from UConn, Georgetown and West Virginia?

“It meant a lot, especially coming from the East Coast,” Matthews said. “Kids from here never really get recruited from the East Coast. It’s crazy. I’m just trying to put the city on the map.”

Wilson coach Dave Alwert has had to mostly watch Matthews from afar this summer. But said he’s seen Matthews get tougher.

“He’s working his tail off,” Alwert said. “He gets up early every morning and goes through his routines. He’s not a gym rat anymore, he’s a gym technician.”

A gym technician?

“I feel like that’s accurate,” Matthews said. “A gym rat isn’t necessarily working out and getting better while you’re there. I feel like being a gym technician is about learning to perfect your craft while you’re there and I feel like I’ve expanded my game completely.”

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
He's a shooter and is good enough defensivley to earn a WVU offer? Sign me up.

Yeah gotta admit that sounds really intriguing.

Reaction Score
Matthews was 17th in the UAA circuit in scoring (13.9 PPG) and 6th in FG%, while shooting more shots that the 5 players above him in that category.

For context, Naz Reid scored 14.1 PPG, Moses Brown scored 14.2 PPG, and Elijah Weaver scored 13.9 PPG.

Matthews slotted right below Naz Reid in FG% and only 2 perimeter players posted better FG% than him, one being Quinerly.

Matthews was also 25th in rebounding at 5.5 REB/G.

He may be ranked 150th, but I highly doubt there's 150 in his class who are as good as he is.

Reaction Score
What's the word on Carrigan? Seems to be total silence there.
Seems like a no go. From the same article:

They have remained in pursuit of Dimon Carrigan, the Nike circuit’s top shot-blocker this past summer, a local product in the mold of past bigs that had gone on to succeed as rim protectors in Storrs. However, things may have stalled here, but expect for newer names to jump onto the recruiting board this winter as Ollie and staff do not need a polished back-to-the-rim presence, but more of a hard-playing center that can rebound the ball and alter shots.

Reaction Score
Matthews was 17th in the UAA circuit in scoring (13.9 PPG) and 6th in FG%, while shooting more shots that the 5 players above him in that category.

For context, Naz Reid scored 14.1 PPG, Moses Brown scored 14.2 PPG, and Elijah Weaver scored 13.9 PPG.

Matthews slotted right below Naz Reid in FG% and only 2 perimeter players posted better FG% than him, one being Quinerly.

He may be ranked 150th, but I highly doubt there's 150 in his class who are as good as he is.

Since Chill has come in, this seems to be a common theme now that the staff focuses early and often on potential risers. Akinjo was similarly ranked before he blew up at Peach Jam. Carrigan has been rising a bit as well.

Reaction Score

He's actually about 200th but he looks way better to me, just from the little I've seen.

Reaction Score
What's the word on Carrigan? Seems to be total silence there.
Seems like a no go. From the same article:

They have remained in pursuit of Dimon Carrigan, the Nike circuit’s top shot-blocker this past summer, a local product in the mold of past bigs that had gone on to succeed as rim protectors in Storrs. However, things may have stalled here, but expect for newer names to jump onto the recruiting board this winter as Ollie and staff do not need a polished back-to-the-rim presence, but more of a hard-playing center that can rebound the ball and alter shots.
There are rumblings of a Cockburn reclassification to 2018. If that happens, UConn should be involved.

For whatever it's worth, I've asked around and heard that even the staff doesn't get why Carrigan has backed off of UConn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman