Emmitt Matthews Jr Official Visit this weekend | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Emmitt Matthews Jr Official Visit this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like a no go. From the same article:

They have remained in pursuit of Dimon Carrigan, the Nike circuit’s top shot-blocker this past summer, a local product in the mold of past bigs that had gone on to succeed as rim protectors in Storrs. However, things may have stalled here, but expect for newer names to jump onto the recruiting board this winter as Ollie and staff do not need a polished back-to-the-rim presence, but more of a hard-playing center that can rebound the ball and alter shots.
That's incredibly disappointing. Wonder what's going on there.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
There are rumblings of a Cockburn reclassification to 2018. If that happens, UConn should be involved.

For whatever it's worth, I've asked around and heard that even the staff doesn't get why Carrigan has backed off of UConn.

Good about Cockburn.

Not good about Carrigan

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Glad to see we're involved. Hope we get get some of our main targets too. Is Shittu for sure a goner? Are we out on Iggy B too?

Reaction Score
Glad to see we're involved. Hope we get get some of our main targets too. Is Shittu for sure a goner? Are we out on Iggy B too?
Out on Iggy, not out on Shittu but seems to be a long shot.

Reaction Score
I assume this is a Coach Chill recruit, since he is from Washington? Reel him in!

If our staff and the staff at WVU like him, that's enough for me.

Yup.

Also this: BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Three-star Matthews considers East Coast, West Coast options

UConn: “I like UConn a lot. I have always liked them ever since Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier. I started watching them a lot around then. I also met Chill (Raphael Chillious) over at UW and then when he went over there, we didn’t talk much. I congratulated him about getting the job but he hit me up right after the end of the Las Vegas Classic and went from there. I talked to Coach (Kevin) Ollie a few other times, too.”

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have a good feeling about this. Would love to get Carey but getting Matthews would greatly reduce the need. With Akinjo and Alterique it would be nice to spread the floor with shooters.

Reaction Score
Seems like a no go. From the same article:

They have remained in pursuit of Dimon Carrigan, the Nike circuit’s top shot-blocker this past summer, a local product in the mold of past bigs that had gone on to succeed as rim protectors in Storrs. However, things may have stalled here, but expect for newer names to jump onto the recruiting board this winter as Ollie and staff do not need a polished back-to-the-rim presence, but more of a hard-playing center that can rebound the ball and alter shots.

Is there anyway this is related to us thinking we still have a chance with Shittu? I mean there was talk he was officially visiting and could be committing I believe and then everything goes back to silent. I know Shittu is a long shot but his camp is somewhat quiet too no? Obviously we could only take 1 more Big commit. (I know this is wishful thinking but just can't figure out how local product goes bad so quick when things were going so well).

pj

Reaction Score
Is there anyway this is related to us thinking we still have a chance with Shittu? I mean there was talk he was officially visiting and could be committing I believe and then everything goes back to silent. I know Shittu is a long shot but his camp is somewhat quiet too no? Obviously we could only take 1 more Big commit. (I know this is wishful thinking but just can't figure out how local product goes bad so quick when things were going so well).

No. If Shittu had made a silent commitment, the staff would have backed off Carrigan, not the other way around. Mere interest from Shittu wouldn't lead Carrigan to drop UConn, since we have only one scholarship for a big and uconn would not take both.

Reaction Score
I think at this point KO has learned to go after what you can get and then try to get the bigger fish later if he is still available. I can't see Shittu's situation affecting Carrigan, especially since they have different skillsets.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Isn't Carey deciding on Oct. 11? I would not wait for him if he won't budge and we get someone nearly as good as him.
I really want 1 more guard and a big.

Reaction Score
Isn't Carey deciding on Oct. 11? I would not wait for him if he won't budge and we get someone nearly as good as him.
I really want 1 more guard and a big.
He's the last guard we have a relationship with so we certainly won't be getting someone "nearly as good as him" in 3.5 weeks.

Reaction Score
No. If Shittu had made a silent commitment, the staff would have backed off Carrigan, not the other way around. Mere interest from Shittu wouldn't lead Carrigan to drop UConn, since we have only one scholarship for a big and uconn would not take both.

Wait so we know that Carrigan backed off?? How do we know that? I must have missed that. And again I know I'm being super hopeful and speculative but I'm not talking mere interest from Shittu. I'm talking like the staff knows he is coming for an OV. And think they can nab him. And if the situation was that Carrigan was coming to commit then UConn would have in essence had to bail on Shittu if that happened.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
He's the last guard we have a relationship with so we certainly won't be getting someone "nearly as good as him" in 3.5 weeks.
What do you consider Mathews to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman