Calhoun: 'Sorry If People Misconstrued My Interaction With DeAndre Daniels' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun: 'Sorry If People Misconstrued My Interaction With DeAndre Daniels'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Not the point. We don't need to give the UConn bashers in the media another excuse to take potshots.
That is the point - they will take whatever potshots they can - even if they have to make them up. I've patted guys on the back harder than that for doing a good job. Anyone who sees that exchange as innapropriate needs to get a new hobby or job.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I finally saw the incident and was shocked at how underwhelming it was. Deandre never even felt it.

Reaction Score
1. This might, in the end be great - A) Not significant enough to get legs, and so it goes away. B) JC gets the heads up - keep your hands to yourself.

2. I love the statement - "I was trying to get his attention." Orly? You don't think the 70 decibel screaming, contorted face, and sputum spray cone you had going for the several seconds it took him to walk to you after calling the TO had his attention? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Reading through this thread I found myself firmly on the side of, "Even if he meant no harm, Calhoun had better watch it because if he's even remotely physical with his players bad things will happen."

After watching the video (available: here), count me among the shocked that this is even being discussed. DeAndre doesn't even miss a beat chewing his gum. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes Jim's demonstrative antics can be over-the-top but this really isn't among the top-5 things I've seen him do this season. I honestly am no more uncomfortable with this than I am with him calling Boatright out at halfcourt (and in fact, I'm probably less comfortable with the latter).

I think it's telling that the Courant, a print outlet, is the only news outlet that's running with this. Any kind of video news outlet would not find this compelling enough to warrant a story. I sincerely hope this doesn't get picked up nationally.

Reaction Score
Disagree - he does a terrible job with it - he insinuates that DD recoiled. He didn't flinch. Stupid article.
The comparison of what JC did to Marciano delivering a body blow to an opponent was a nice touch too. :rolleyes:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why would they even bother to put out a statement over that? Because Jeff Jacobs was going to write a story?

Who cares? Why create a story?

Good Lord.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Jacobs has been better ... but he's way off with that article as it pertains to Calhoun (I don't necessarily disagree with the other portions.)

And why bring up a "wild" rumor about him punching Chuck?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Looks pretty similar to this incident

Things like this look a lot less severe than people are making them out to be. Doesn't seem nearly as bad as the Knight stories from years back. It's just that every single interaction is caught on tape now.
when the kid walks over, it looks like he jabs merryweather in the chest/stomach. merryweather takes a step backwards. unlike DD who kept walking towards JC when he was supposedly jabbed.

Reaction Score
This is more a case of the Courant trying to create a story than this actually being one. Really, that's become the paper's style ever since its readership started diminishing.

Still, I expect ESPN to pick this up in 20 minutes...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That is the point - they will take whatever potshots they can - even if they have to make them up. I've patted guys on the back harder than that for doing a good job. Anyone who sees that exchange as innapropriate needs to get a new hobby or job.

You've gone full Husky Puppy, j.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I have now watched the video several times and this is what I got out of it. You need to watch the whole clip on ESPN 3 to get the full context.

When DeAndre calls the time out he starts walking to the bench towards Calhoun. At this point Calhoun steps towards him and you can see him making a fist. From the video it appears Daniels is looking in JC's direction and would have seen him making the fist . The reason I think he saw this was when he receives the "hit" it is almost like he has no reaction at all... like he was expecting it. He barely stops moving, continues to chew his gum, and then says something to Calhoun before JC grabs his jersey. Calhoun screaming in his face with a clenched fist sure makes the still photo look bad.

I don't think Calhoun should be hitting players but I feel all he needs is a stern "Don't do it again" and everyone should move along.

I agree with Fishy - I don't see the point of releasing a statement over this. Why does the courant seem to look for any situation to mess with Calhoun?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Oh crap...Kanye West was just on CNN saying "Jim Calhoun hates black people."

:mad:

Reaction Score
It was a Jacobs-being-Jacobs article until this quote:
There was a wild rumor circulating a couple of seasons ago that Calhoun took that leave of absence because he had punched 7-foot Charles Okwandu at practice. And while he did jab his fingers into Okwandu's chest after 5-11 Peyton Siva of Louisville scored over him last year, there was zero substantiation that he had ever hit Okwandu. Folks at UConn have vehemently denied it.

Journalists should never stoop to that level.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The only thing I took from that clip is that Rich Coppola has some big-ass ears.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm going to be among the minority on this board but in real time I found both the Daniels poke and the milder Oriaki poke to be "inappropriate" not way over the line but over. On the other hand I have no problem with Jim walking on to midcourt to dress down Ryan. I'm not a big fan of grabbing or hitting to make a point. I recognize that I probably could hurt these kids if I hit them with a chair. I found both different than the shove toward the bench, which I view to to pretty much be the edge of contact.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Is this the first mention of this incident on this board?

I saw it. I felt JC crossed a boundary with this. From my observation he actually punched DD. I thought he was also out of control with Ryan in the WV game. This type of display got Woody Hayes and Bobby Knight into trouble. Hopefully this incident won't gain traction and JC will get himself more under control.
already has gained traction... from this board and threads like this. (look for the Ollie slang to become an issue too) posters are doing more harm than help to this UConn program IMO

Reaction Score
I dont know about anyone else but this is the first time i ever heard that rumor about Chuck and Calhoun. If that was actually true i think it would have come out by now

Reaction Score
I dont know about anyone else but this is the first time i ever heard that rumor about Chuck and Calhoun. If that was actually true i think it would have come out by now

Not to mention, even if we were to ASSUME that it was true (I think it's not), the Chuck "I love this team" interview seems to indicate that he didn't dwell on it too much.

Reaction Score
Everytime Deandre Daniels gets boxed out going for a rebound he gets hit much harder than that. (If he was hit at all) I hate our wimpy "sue them if they touch you" society. Nuns used to be notorious for wielding a mean ruler, I guess they were all criminals. Be carefull the next time you spank your kids, someone might want to remove them from your house and send them to foster care.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure before the poke of Daniels JC put a pretty serious shoulder into Giffey when Giff seemed to ignore him walking back to the bench. quote]

Wrong. It actually looks like Giffey gives JC a shove. Lets start making stuff up now. Our fans stink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom