Calhoun: 'Sorry If People Misconstrued My Interaction With DeAndre Daniels' | The Boneyard

Calhoun: 'Sorry If People Misconstrued My Interaction With DeAndre Daniels'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another non-apology apology by a public figure. It's kind of pathetic, to blame the viewers of the incident. I admire JC, but this reminds me of his explanation/apology for the recruiting violations. Maybe he believes, as is the title of Jim Belushi's book, "Real Men Don't Apologize."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Is this the first mention of this incident on this board?

I saw it. I felt JC crossed a boundary with this. From my observation he actually punched DD. I thought he was also out of control with Ryan in the WV game. This type of display got Woody Hayes and Bobby Knight into trouble. Hopefully this incident won't gain traction and JC will get himself more under control.

Reaction Score
You have to be kidding me, we have all become such wussies. Calhoun has always been an in your face coach and holds his players accountable when they make dumb mistakes, it's precisely what makes the players better. To suggest he punched DeAndre is absurd. I turn on espn today and people are freaking out because Fran McCaffery throughing a chair down in the huddle. As a society we've become such goshdarn babies about everything, coaches have gotten mad since the beginning of time and sometimes they say curse words and even grab a player by the jersey.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
This will be a polarizing incident ...

Reaction Score
Thanks superjohn finally the voice of reason.....jc is jc live with some reaction.

Reaction Score
I remember being at the UConn- Arizona game in 2001 when Souleymane Wane was pulled off the court by his jersey by Calhoun. So, when is this a new thing?

Reaction Score
We certainly have a melodramatic fanbase...

Seriously, can you imagine what he says and does in practice? I am guessing most of his players end up loving him after their time is up. Even Donnell Beverly had a POed look on his face at Calhoun early on when he still had blue cornrows. He became accustomed to his coaching style.

Reaction Score
I can take JC being JC. I can handle the cursing. And the shabby way he treats reporters. And though it makes me uneasy, I've learned to look the other way when he walks out on the court in front of 15,000 people to scream in the face of an 18-year-old kid who made a 'dumb mistake." I just hope he doesn't go out someday because he punches a kid. He's too good of a coach and has built such an incredible basketball legend to go out like that.

Reaction Score
We certainly have a melodramatic fanbase...

Seriously, can you imagine what he says and does in practice? I am guessing most of his players end up loving him after their time is up. Even Donnell Beverly had a POed look on his face at Calhoun early on when he still had blue cornrows. He became accustomed to his coaching style.

Wait, when did JC have blue cornrows? No wonder DBev was PO'd! :D

Reaction Score
I remember seeing this happen during the game and it reminded me of the Bob Knight incident of a few years ago of "hitting" hit player so that he'd look at him. While I certainly don't think it's something that coaches should be doing, I think these kinds of things get way overblown.

Reaction Score
Surprised it's taken this long in this era of instant video for JC to be put on defensive for this kind of thing. We've all seen him with hands/fists up going after players after bad plays for years now during timeouts. Pretty sure before the poke of Daniels JC put a pretty serious shoulder into Giffey when Giff seemed to ignore him walking back to the bench. I wonder if Herbst was behind bench Monday to send a subtle message to get JC to cool it a little. (Herbst being a Dookie she knows K is no angel on sidelines). Calhoun did light into Tyler and Boatwright but not with the physicality he did at Rutgers.
I have no problem with coaches getting in people's faces and even grabbing a jersey. Don't think Calhoun will get too roasted for this but hopefully he'll try to be a little more cautious because after this the camera guys are going to be paying even more attention.

Reaction Score
Looks pretty similar to this incident

Things like this look a lot less severe than people are making them out to be. Doesn't seem nearly as bad as the Knight stories from years back. It's just that every single interaction is caught on tape now.

Reaction Score
Its not about right or wrong, justifiable or not. The fact is coach overreacted to a kid who called a timeout (mistakenly or not).

My question is would he have reacted that way if Lamb or to Drummond called the timeout? I would bet no.

Nonetheless it was an isolated incident and let's hope it doesn't get legs.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Sometimes when people get up there in age they do inexplicable things. I know a tiny, nice woman who is a nurse in a nursing home and one day the 80+ year old guy stepped away from his walker, started bobbing and weaving, told her he used to be a boxer, and cold cocked her in the eye. Also, I think sometimes when people get older they struggle to communicate at times like they once did and react out of frustration. I'll give JC a pass this time but he really needs to be careful.

Reaction Score
Sometimes when people get up there in age they do inexplicable things. I know a tiny, nice woman who is a nurse in a nursing home and one day the 80+ year old guy stepped away from his walker, started bobbing and weaving, told her he used to be a boxer, and cold cocked her in the eye. Also, I think sometimes when people get older they struggle to communicate at times like they once did and react out of frustration. I'll give JC a pass this time but he really needs to be careful.

Not sure if I'd go ahead and compare JC's action to a senile man who punched out his nurse....

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
LOL. I think the second part about frustration is more where I was trying to go with my post. Someone should track Daniels' playing time after this. I predict a big increase coming.
Not sure if I'd go ahead and compare JC's action to a senile man who punched out his nurse....

Reaction Score
When I was a kid playing Pop Warner, back in the late 60's,
the head coach would take you by the face mask and rattle your
head and teeth around. Not saying it was right, but he was good guy and
a really good coach and cared about the kids. I obviously still remember him fondly.
How do Calhoun's former players view him? That is the acid test. He seems to pass that one with flying colors.
We now view everything thru the prism of litigation, our loss.
I once read a book called Jurgen. A fantasy offering. Anyway Jurgen ends up in heaven and has to leave because he was bored to distraction. He begs Ole Nick to take him back.

Everything now is antiseptic, woefully repetitious and unforgivably uninteresting.
We legislate behavior. How sad

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Surprised it's taken this long in this era of instant video for JC to be put on defensive for this kind of thing. We've all seen him with hands/fists up going after players after bad plays for years now during timeouts. Pretty sure before the poke of Daniels JC put a pretty serious shoulder into Giffey when Giff seemed to ignore him walking back to the bench. I wonder if Herbst was behind bench Monday to send a subtle message to get JC to cool it a little. (Herbst being a Dookie she knows K is no angel on sidelines). Calhoun did light into Tyler and Boatwright but not with the physicality he did at Rutgers.
I have no problem with coaches getting in people's faces and even grabbing a jersey. Don't think Calhoun will get too roasted for this but hopefully he'll try to be a little more cautious because after this the camera guys are going to be paying even more attention.
I don't believe jc coached at rutgers.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Oh lord you people. Go find anyone who played for JC who didn't get some in your face treatment. He's not out there to give everyone a trophy for participating. He's out there to win games and to make his kids the best players they can be. Go ask Ray or Rip or Ben or Emeka or Hilton if they mind making millions of dollars because JC iron willed them to be the best they could be. Go find anyone who thinks he was too tough on them and is resentful of what the man did for them. One day DD will probably be making millions too and a good part of the reason beyond talent was the man who made him learn how to use his talent in the best possible way.

And I don't care that he is 70, if he punched DD in a serious way, DD would be a crumpled mess on the floor. He could break players jaws with his words alone.

Toughen up guys.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Oh My God - I just watched the video. Are people seriously upset about that? This has to be the most ridiculous non story I've ever seen. I.Have.No.Words

Reaction Score
Ya well Jacobs is already on it. He wrote a story, Id paste the link but its not working. Go check it out on the courant website. Its pretty much what you expect from Jacobs

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And I don't care that he is 70, if he punched DD in a serious way, DD would be a crumpled mess on the floor. He could break players jaws with his words alone.

Toughen up guys.

Not the point. We don't need to give the UConn bashers in the media another excuse to take potshots.

Reaction Score
Not saying it was right, but he was good guy and a really good coach and cared about the kids. I obviously still remember him fondly. How do Calhoun's former players view him? That is the acid test. He seems to pass that one with flying colors.

That's it in a nutshell. Calhoun may jab his players or aggressively go at them in front of a full arena and live television audience. But if you or I try to mildly criticize the same player in front of Calhoun, he'll want to knock us into next week. He really does care about them very much, and I think the players come to understand that. He's just got the Irish in him, that's all. The temper's the downside but the loyalty's the far, far bigger upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom