Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1

Reaction Score
Yes the accounting BS is in hiding the size of the losses. UConn has new facilities. Does the AD pay for those

and the cost to compete is about to get even more expensive. I really don't see how this is a good change for UCONN. More power and control to the P5.

Reaction Score
So many melodramatics here...

you’ll see the players run out at Gampel wearing UConn jerseys playing against Villanova and all of this concern trolling y’all are doing about the future of UConn - and the future college sports itself - will fall by the wayside.

And if not - if the fact the athletes are now able to capitalize in some way from a sport that so many others have capitalized on, makes you soooo angry that you can’t watch - than, please, get out of the new road

Reaction Score
I just don't see how this is going to change recruiting all that much. The schools that drop bags are still going to drop bags.

The top 3 classes were:

Kentucky
UNC
Duke

Kentucky and Duke missed the NCAA and an 8-seed UNC was bounced in the first round.

We'll see more changes when kids get to campus, though, with some men and women making money through being influencers on instagram and other paid online avenues, some perhaps subscription based.

Reaction Score
Then why are you here?
I've been here since the 1990s. Out of habit. But it was the first time I checked in in 2 weeks. I'll be checking out soon actually.

Here's a better question: why are you here? What the hell do you think you're watching? A Gatorade league team would blow these guys out of the water. It's frankly pathetic how you're spending your time.

Reaction Score
So many melodramatics here...

you’ll see the players run out at Gampel wearing UConn jerseys playing against Villanova and all of this concern trolling y’all are doing about the future of UConn - and the future college sports itself - will fall by the wayside.

And if not - if the fact the athletes are now able to capitalize in some way from a sport that so many others have capitalized on, makes you soooo angry that you can’t watch - than, please, get out of the new road
You're totally deluding yourself. Stop it with the sharing of the profit nonsense. This is a totally subsidized farce. You're lying to yourself thinking otherwise.

The level of delusion here is pathetic.

Reaction Score
You're totally deluding yourself. Stop it with the sharing of the profit nonsense. This is a totally subsidized farce. You're lying to yourself thinking otherwise.

It’s not a “sharing in the profits” argument.

How do you look at the advertisers, the TV contracts, the endorsement deals for coaches, the ticket prices etc etc. and not think the entire system is grotesque?

Reaction Score
I've been here since the 1990s. Out of habit. But it was the first time I checked in in 2 weeks. I'll be checking out soon actually.

Here's a better question: why are you here? What the hell do you think you're watching? A Gatorade league team would blow these guys out of the water. It's frankly pathetic how you're spending your time.

Please take your own advice and just leave.

Reaction Score

This is a bad look for a good poster on your way out, but you do you

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

I'm watching the college basketball team that I grew up loving and have watched passionately since I was in middle school. Even if none of them ended up playing professionally I would cheer them on and bleed blue. Good riddance.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Oh wow, you’re saying Duke, UNC or Kentucky is going to end with a concentration of top talent? What a brave new world. So scary!
Yeah I think this is the point. There isn’t anything close to a level playing field right now, obviously, due to the complete inability to regulate all the back door deals. At least now it will be a little more out in the open and potentially regulateable. … and now it will actually cost something closer to market value for recruits.

before it was basically access to shoe company support/money and willingness of assistants to commit wire fraud and you had a stranglehold on recruiting

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His analogy is horrendously bad anyway. Where’s the justice in students shelling out $1k a year to support this system. The argument about an unjust system is totally disingenuous because people are arguing that players should get paid market value and yet the market is subsidized by their fellow classmates

I’d love to see the farce called for what it is so that there is no more subsidy or university outlay so that the players can indeed earn their true market value

Except for my own selfish enjoyment of it, from a pure policy perspective, college sports such as they are shouldn't exist. The smarter approach would be to just license university names and logos to what are essentially minor league pro teams. Let those teams operate at whatever profit or loss they achieve independent of the school.

Reaction Score
There is immense potential for the elite guys to profit off their name, image and likeness in the NCAA, and not just in the short term.

When a player opts for the collegiate pathway, as we have seen, they are given an opportunity to market and build a brand with their on-court performance that is greater than anywhere else in the world.

Playing on national television night-in and night-out, receiving national recognition and building a bond with their respective fanbases will not just pay off in the short term but also in the long term as their respective fanbases continue following them throughout their entire career - something few other opportunities can offer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Thankfully you are here to bring us all back to reality. Thank you upstater for all that you do and well, just for being you.

Reaction Score
There is immense potential for the elite guys to profit off their name, image and likeness in the NCAA, and not just in the short term.

When a player opts for the collegiate pathway, as we have seen, they are given an opportunity to market and build a brand with their on-court performance that is greater than anywhere else in the world.

Playing on national television night-in and night-out, receiving national recognition and building a bond with their respective fanbases will not just pay off in the short term but also in the long term as their respective fanbases continue following them throughout their entire career - something few other opportunities can offer.

This is a thoughtful take. I'd add that it is pretty common that the #1 guy coming out of high school doesn't end up as the top draft pick, sometimes that guy never gets the huge payday. Why not let him cash in when his stocks at the apex?

I also think about how the coach sneaker contracts initially turbo-charged the salaries of coaches and then the revenues and multi-million dollar coaching salaries followed. Now those salaries might stick, but Nike ain't paying Jim Boeheim 3MM per year. Maybe they decide to spread 100K across the top 5 guys and get as much bang for their buck. Jon Sheyer is never getting the same sneaker deal that Coach K milked.

It is a positive that the top college players can monetize their success NOW. Historical players like Morrison or Jimmer Freddette who were huge college guys but always had limited pro upside get to make hay while they can. Guys like Aaron Craft might be even more inclined to stay in college for 6 years.

Likewise UConn women's bball is arguably MORE popular than the WNBA. I don't know what Megan Stewart makes on endorsements right now, maybe she was MORE marketable while at UConn.

Tons of college players getting to seize that moment is a huge equitable win, especially for those that peak in skill or popularity while in college.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the near term, are there 64 athletic departments more attractive than UConn?

Reaction Score
@tzznandrew @polycom Don is college sports amateur facade collapsing, Pete are the nerds whining about it and Bert (should be) us rational fans

Awesome, thanks for posting this! Amazing to re-watch, at the time I thought it was a death blow (as exposure of same ruse later was to his marriage) and Don would be fired, humiliated and it'd be about him rebuilding. Not quite, yes it was a show about people, relationships and the world, but thru the lens of advertising where perception is reality.

Bert's speech then about the man in the room means college sports is what it currently is. Don's facade and the amateur facade will endure b/c we want it to, it makes everyone happy and makes money. We actually get to keep pretending as long as that's profitable. Just don't tell our wives!

Reaction Score
In the near term, are there 64 athletic departments more attractive than UConn?
no but only 36 or 37 receive at large bids. we just busted the tourney slump tho arent we trying to sign 5* recruits and make deep tourney runs now? we have to be a top 10 department to do that

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe I’m not understanding all of this correctly but how will this benefit any athletes aside from the 5* recruits and a few athletes that have already have a strong social media presence? Why as a company would I pay a college athlete with little to no name recognition to promote my business, service or product line? Outside of a business using an athlete to promote and advertise how will these athletes be paid? By boosters? Boosters only mess with the top athletes, therefore, as I mentioned above only a few will benefit. Am I missing other opportunities how these players will be paid?

How many NCAA athletes are there? How many can actually capitalize on their “name, image and likeness”? For every Michael Jordan out there, how many Scott Burrell’s do we have? All this will do is allow some athletes to be paid a grip, a few others will make some money, and the rest will be left with nothing. I think it could lead to rifts in college sports with certain players on team sports reaping benefits while others who put in just as much work getting little to nothing at all.

I believe the intentions are good but I don’t think the concept it fully developed, and I don’t think this is something you can haphazardly roll out.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m not understanding all of this correctly but how will this benefit any athletes aside from the 5* recruits and a few athletes that have already have a strong social media presence? Why as a company would I pay a college athlete with little to no name recognition to promote my business, service or product line? Outside of a business using an athlete to promote and advertise how will these athletes be paid? By boosters? Boosters only mess with the top athletes, therefore, as I mentioned above only a few will benefit. Am I missing other opportunities how these players will be paid?

How many NCAA athletes are there? How many can actually capitalize on their “name, image and likeness”? For every Michael Jordan out there, how many Scott Burrell’s do we have? All this will do is allow some athletes to be paid a grip, a few others will make some money, and the rest will be left with nothing. I think it could lead to rifts in college sports with certain players on team sports reaping benefits while others who put in just as much work getting little to nothing at all.

I believe the intentions are good but I don’t think the concept it fully developed, and I don’t think this is something you can haphazardly roll out.
It's not just about athletes being paid as marketing for a business, student athletes who can play the guitar can book a gig at a bar and get paid. Or a softball/baseball player can give hitting lessons over the summer and charge for it. A lot of the focus is obviously on the big money/recruiting effects, but this extends across a lot of student athletes

Reaction Score
It's not just about athletes being paid as marketing for a business, student athletes who can play the guitar can book a gig at a bar and get paid. Or a softball/baseball player can give hitting lessons over the summer and charge for it. A lot of the focus is obviously on the big money/recruiting effects, but this extends across a lot of student athletes
Also if you remember being a college student even $20-50 in your pocket is a big deal. Fringe guys being able to make a few hundred dollars is huge. Back in the day a freshman, the late great Cliff Robinson did not have $3 to contribute for a floor party. Freshman Cliff couldn’t have made thousands, but maybe Ted’s would have paid him $40/week to sponsor darts tournaments and he wouldn’t have had to ask to come to a party for free.

Reaction Score
It is already making a difference, Transfer point guard Endyia Rogers was down to Arizona and Oregon aka Nike U.

A factor in Rogers' decision was the opportunity for student-athletes to profit off of their name, image and likeness. The Oregon women's basketball team is one of the most marketable programs in the country Sabrina Ionescu jerseys couldn't stay on the shelves during her senior season at Oregon, and tickets to the Ducks' final home games that year were a hot commodity.

"Now that we're getting paid for our name, image and likeness, I feel like Oregon is the place to be," Rogers said. "I think that all eyes are always on their women's basketball team and their sports in general."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom