Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1

Reaction Score
Maybe for football but for basketball I think we can keep on par. We have some pretty big basketball donors. football on the other hand that’s a lost cause.
"Lost cause?" didnt a booster just pay like a million dollars to have the locker room in the football practice facility redone like a year or 2 ago.. and they were arguably the worst football program in the country. i dont recall a basketball booster stepping up to do anything like that recently.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
this conversation is about college basketball p6 teams i could care less about bowling greens golf team

No, the conversation is about boosters paying college athletes for NIL. Most won’t benefit.

Basketball is likely to be impacted more than football because the importance of a single player is much higher and they make that impact much sooner.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
There's a major difference between some wannabee street agent funneling 20 grand to a player's mom to go to Louisville and what this opens itself up to. People are talking about what's to stop a local car dealership from paying players, I'm talking about what's to stop it from being the fighting Phil Knights against the fighting Bezos'.

If this isn't heavily regulated it will be a disaster, it needs to all be figured out soon.
Zion was offered almost a million dollars to go to Kansas and chose Duke instead. The top players have been securing bags for a long time.

Reaction Score
No, the conversation is about boosters paying college athletes for NIL. Most won’t benefit.

Basketball is likely to be impacted more than football because the importance of a single player is much higher and they make that impact much sooner.
per your first comment, who are you arguing with?? did someone mention golf and swimming? i certainly didnt because i couldnt care less about non revenue sports. no one disagrees that most ncaa athletes won't benefit from this.

per your second comment, i 100% agree a single player makes an outsize impact in bball. that's why duke and UK etc each being able to pay a fifth or sixth 5* to sign would significantly hurt parity.

some here are sure this will even the playing field but i'm not, this could easily result in a further concentration of 5* talent

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Phil can. Nike can’t. UA and Nike aren’t going to see it in their interest to prop up two programs. They and Adidas have interests in dozens of schools. Now, might Nike steer kids to Nike schools like UConn? Yes, I can see that.

I expect they will revisit all these rules later. They need to try to keep it out of recruiting.
Phil hasn't even been CEO at Nike in like 5-10 years, I brought him up because we know he loves Oregon sports but it applies to all billionaires and extremely wealthy people buying kids.

Reaction Score
The elite 5 stars will be going straight to the NBA in 22-23. Player development and coaching will be critical again

Reaction Score
The elite 5 stars will be going straight to the NBA in 22-23. Player development and coaching will be critical again

Im not sure if it’ll work exactly that way, but this is far more realistic than the hyperbolic temper tantrums being thrown by some here

Reaction Score
Phil hasn't even been CEO at Nike in like 5-10 years, I brought him up because we know he loves Oregon sports but it applies to all billionaires and extremely wealthy people buying kids.

I love when people argue like this - they start from assuming the status quo is acceptable, and then fantasize about all the negative implications of change to a more just system, ultimately scuttling the idea. Here, the status quo is not acceptable it is deeply messed up and unjust. Consider:

• The status quo of Phil Knight buying "Oregon Athletics" by spending $$Millions to fund the program, buy coaches, build stadiums, pay administrators salaries, and (hush,hush) send bags on the low low to athletes - you are cool with that because you like the consistent product you consume more than the injustice that perpetuates the system.
  • The future state of Phil Knight buying "Oregon Athletics" by spending $$Millions to fund the program, buy coaches, build stadiums, pay administrators salaries, and (Transparently) send bags to athletes - that is just madness to you because it threatens the quality of the product you consume even tho it is a far more just system.

That is a you problem. You prefer order to justice, as MLK once famously said of those that passively support and defend unjust systems.

Reaction Score
I love when people argue like this - they start from assuming the status quo is acceptable, and then fantasize about all the negative implications of change to a more just system, ultimately scuttling the idea. Here, the status quo is not acceptable it is deeply messed up and unjust. Consider:

• The status quo of Phil Knight buying "Oregon Athletics" by spending $$Millions to fund the program, buy coaches, build stadiums, pay administrators salaries, and (hush,hush) send bags on the low low to athletes - you are cool with that because you like the consistent product you consume more than the injustice that perpetuates the system.
  • The future state of Phil Knight buying "Oregon Athletics" by spending $$Millions to fund the program, buy coaches, build stadiums, pay administrators salaries, and (Transparently) send bags to athletes - that is just madness to you because it threatens the quality of the product you consume even tho it is a far more just system.

That is a you problem. You prefer order to justice, as MLK once famously said of those that passively support and defend unjust systems.

Chef’s kiss

Reaction Score
You prefer order to justice, as MLK once famously said of those that passively support and defend unjust systems.
and as John Locke famously said, where there is no law there is no freedom. there needs to be some degree of order to ensure some degree of parity. college basketball is about cinderella having a chance. a competitive sport will provide the most financial opportunities to the most players, it's in everyone's best interest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has been trying to get Fairfield County more involved for years. Connecticut has more money than anyone, we should be dominating this new system.
if only that's all it took, our Foundation would be much larger

Reaction Score
UCONN's athletic department operates at a huge loss, even if some of it is accounting BS, I think the net loss is real. No massive TV contracts for UCONN.
Yes the accounting BS is in hiding the size of the losses. UConn has new facilities. Does the AD pay for those?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I get a bonus % based on the profits, though that's not exactly the same thing
Yep, obviously I’m being tongue-in-cheek here, but the primary argument behind NIL legislation was “well are efforts contribute to the profit so we should share in them but a lot of athletic departments don’t make a profit so that logic doesn’t apply, and no one wants to share of the losses do they?

Reaction Score
and as John Locke famously said, where there is no law there is no freedom. there needs to be some degree of order to ensure some degree of parity. college basketball is about cinderella having a chance. a competitive sport will provide the most financial opportunities to the most players, it's in everyone's best interest.
His analogy is horrendously bad anyway. Where’s the justice in students shelling out $1k a year to support this system. The argument about an unjust system is totally disingenuous because people are arguing that players should get paid market value and yet the market is subsidized by their fellow classmates

I’d love to see the farce called for what it is so that there is no more subsidy or university outlay so that the players can indeed earn their true market value

Reaction Score
Can the people who said they weren't going to watch college sports when the players get paid please come to the front of the line? We'd like a word with you. The facade of amateurism is dead thank god. Also give Reggie Bush his trophy back.
I stopped watching football. I’ll stop watching basketball soon. I think the whole thing is going to collapse. And good riddance to it

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
nope. and neither will the athletes. they are not profit sharing with the universities.
But that was the central argument, right?

Reaction Score
keep pretending there isnt a difference. duke didnt even make the tourney this year. once they can pay each player 10 million in NIL deals they would have had jalen green and johnathan kuminga both on the roster
Every player on the roster is getting a $10M NIL? Chris Paul gets $7M in endorsements. You think dozens of unproven players per year are getting $3M more than Chris Paul?

Reaction Score
Every player on the roster is getting a $10M NIL? Chris Paul gets $7M in endorsements. You think dozens of unproven players per year are getting $3M more than Chris Paul?
the boosters dont give a crap about the worth of players' NIL for endorsement purposes they are paying salaries. 10 milly is an exaggeration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom