Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1

Reaction Score
I dont know too much about the specifics of all this. I assume its just like brand deals and whatnot. However, does this going through mean teams can start making legit jerseys with names on the back? I can see how that could be a problem as the NCAA, the University, whoever makes the jersey, and the player have to get a cut. If that can happen though, that would be a dream come true. And would really help out athletes that go to smaller schools too.

Reaction Score
I dont know too much about the specifics of all this. I assume its just like brand deals and whatnot. However, does this going through mean teams can start making legit jerseys with names on the back? I can see how that could be a problem as the NCAA, the University, whoever makes the jersey, and the player have to get a cut. If that can happen though, that would be a dream come true. And would really help out athletes that go to smaller schools too.
Don't think so, unfortunately. It allows players to make money off their name/likeness but they won't be able to use the schools name or logo so don't think this will lead to jerseys

Reaction Score
The handwringing doesn't make sense to me. Phil Knight is already personally responsible for the success of Oregon athletics. That's been the case for 20 years now. Same with Boone Pickens, Les Wexner, Jimmy Rane, etc. If you're crying about "haves and have nots" where have you been for the last 2 decades?

The biggest benefit of all of this is that Dabo Swinney might make good on his pledge to renounce his $93M contract now that college sports have been "professionalized." He only respected it when he was getting paid 10 milly a year to coach college kids just trying to get some exercise on weekends.

Reaction Score
Don't think so, unfortunately. It allows players to make money off their name/likeness but they won't be able to use the schools name or logo so don't think this will lead to jerseys
Yeahh, thought so. But hey baby steps, maybe well get there one day.

Reaction Score
yes Phil Knight can throw his personal millions not Nike's millions those are very different. But sure keep believing whatever you want.
whats stopping the nike or jordan brands from giving a million dollar NIL deal to every 5* that signs at one of the schools that wears its jerseys and sneakers?

Reaction Score
whats stopping t the nike or jordan brands give a million dollar NIL deal to every 5* that signs at one of the schools that wears its jerseys and sneakers?

Maybe they will but that’s not what Poly is arguing about here.

Reaction Score
The handwringing doesn't make sense to me. Phil Knight is already personally responsible for the success of Oregon athletics. That's been the case for 20 years now. Same with Boone Pickens, Les Wexner, Jimmy Rane, etc. If you're crying about "haves and have nots" where have you been for the last 2 decades?

The biggest benefit of all of this is that Dabo Swinney might make good on his pledge to renounce his $93M contract now that college sports have been "professionalized." He only respected it when he was getting paid 10 milly a year to coach college kids just trying to get some exercise on weekends.
You don't see any difference in influence if billionaires are allowed to dump millions directly into 18 year olds bank accounts?

Reaction Score
Maybe they will but that’s not what Poly is arguing about here.
you think it will be a coincidence when oregon and unc players get 100x more than any other school's players from those brands?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
you dont think it will be a coincidence when oregon and unc players get 100x more than any other school's players from those brands?
Lol maybe! I was just saying that was not part of @polycom ’s argument. They were arguing about private vs public money and accountability

Reaction Score
Lol maybe! I was just saying that was not part of @polycom ’s argument. They were arguing about private vs public money and accountability
then it's a distinction without a difference! oregon and unc and duke and michigan are going to become g league teams in college jerseys

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i guess i dont see your point then. i agree there are only so many 5*s but if the same couple schools can now legally buy off all of them that will have an outsize impact on parity

The point is that most players aren’t playing a sport that is televised, and only a handful each year are the big impact players. How many UConn football players do you think make any significant NIL money? How about Bowling Green football? Fairfield basketball?

There is a lot of room for a lot of kids to be disappointed. The main thing they get is the ability to monetize social media. Livvy Dunne will make money.

Reaction Score
then it's a distinction without a difference! oregon and unc and duke and michigan are going to become g league teams in college jerseys
What would you call a Duke vs Maryland game now?

Reaction Score
The point is that most players aren’t playing a sport that is televised, and only a handful each year are the big impact players. How many UConn football players do you think make any significant NIL money? How about Bowling Green football? Fairfield basketball?

There is a lot of room for a lot of kids to be disappointed. The main thing they get is the ability to monetize social media. Livvy Dunne will make money.
this conversation is about college basketball p6 teams i could care less about bowling greens golf team

Reaction Score
Yes they are just amateurs playing for school spirit and that is it!

you sound insane.

You realize thats exactly what it is now...
keep pretending there isnt a difference. duke didnt even make the tourney this year. once they can pay each player 10 million in NIL deals they would have had jalen green and johnathan kuminga both on the roster

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Phil Knight is Nike. Bezos is no longer CEO at Amazon either but he is Amazon. They could throw around millions to whatever the hell they wanted to 5 years ago and now.

Ok SJ.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
keep pretending. duke didnt even make the tourney this year. once they can pay each player 10 million in NIL deals they would have had jalen green and johnathan kuminga both on the roster

If this is how you think it works sure. I'll listen to my friends who play high major D-1 who explained how recruiting works.

Reaction Score
keep pretending there isnt a difference. duke didnt even make the tourney this year. once they can pay each player 10 million in NIL deals they would have had jalen green and johnathan kuminga both on the roster

Oh wow, you’re saying Duke, UNC or Kentucky is going to end with a concentration of top talent? What a brave new world. So scary!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, it's exactly true. Phil Knight can throw millions wherever he likes it and doesn't have to answer to shareholders.

Phil can. Nike can’t. UA and Nike aren’t going to see it in their interest to prop up two programs. They and Adidas have interests in dozens of schools. Now, might Nike steer kids to Nike schools like UConn? Yes, I can see that.

I expect they will revisit all these rules later. They need to try to keep it out of recruiting.

Reaction Score
If this is how you think it works sure. I'll listen to my friends who play high major D-1 who explained how recruiting works.

Oh wow, you’re saying Duke, UNC or Kentucky is going to end with a concentration of top talent? What a brave new world. So scary!
if UConn wins a chip in this new world i'll eat my words. get back to me then but i'm not holding my breath

Reaction Score
if UConn wins a chip in this new world i'll eat my words. get back to me then but i'm not holding my breath

So your assumption was that UConn was definitely going to win another national championship sometime in your lifetime before this rule? I would hope that would be the case, but that is a very bold thing to just assume.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom