Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1 | The Boneyard

Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1

Reaction Score
Seems like a major loop hole

i dont think it's a loophole it was too obvious that boosters and/or booster owned businesses are where the vast majority of the NIL payments are going to come from.

i think the best way to do this is for a group of boosters to get together and form an LLC which can be used to pool their funds. then the LLC "hires" the players for whatever, signing autographs for an hour idk, and bam here's $10k. the player doesnt even have to show up or sign any autographs because this is going to be impossible to police, just keep the receipts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there a limit on amounts (individually or collectively)?

Reaction Score
but the first tweet you quoted as being a loophole explicitly allows boosters to pay players while the payment of recruits remains illegal so neither is a loophole
Recruits can accept NIL payments. They just can't be tied to a recruiting pledge.

But they will 100% be paid by boosters.

Reaction Score
Recruits can accept NIL payments. They just can't be tied to a recruiting pledge.

But they will 100% be paid by boosters.
can you link to the relevant ncaa guidance language? i thought NIL only applied to college athletes not highschool.

Reaction Score
can you link to the relevant ncaa guidance language? i have a hard time believing that, thought NIL only applied to college athletes not highschool.

They "can't be used as a recruiting inducement." But good luck enforcing that.

Reaction Score
ok @Ajs120102 i apologize. i didnt realize NIL applied to high school players. i hope this gets addressed when the ncaa issues the permanent NIL policy. i'm all for college players getting paid because they are part of a billion dollar industry, but not highschool players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure I'd call it a loophole when this is the intended effect. And this is a good thing, UConn will have tons of opportunity to market players/recruits

Reaction Score
Some kids will pull in 7 and 6 figures per year. it will be interesting to see where the money goes.

Reaction Score
After Derrick Coleman went to the NBA in 1990 he wired $500 to Billy Owens to use as spending money on a trip to Hawaii, something Owens denied, but would have been a violation. It's one of many incidents listed below under Boeheim's leadership:
and wonder how it will fit with the new guidelines.

Here's a timeline of the major violations during Boeheim's tenure. Seemed to come in bunches, and are overwhelmingly greater in number than I recalled and certainly outweighs anything under Calhoun:

Reaction Score
I think the big money will come from social media. There are a number of media savvy athletes that will have a chance to bring in big with their social media accounts that will blow away the amount of money coming from boosters.

For example, the Cavinder twins who play basketball at Fresno St. and are big Tik Tok stars could bring in $250k each per year. I think Paige Bueckers will bring in hundreds of thousands from social media and that may be conservative.

Reaction Score
Have heard the biz argument is that social media activity/volume/followers can have a significant impact on your NIL revenue opportunities.

And initially in Ct-- players like Paige Buckets--by virtue of their social media following-- Will make more NIL money than their male counterparts (at UConn) until they proactively increase their social media presence.

A new world of marketing for college athletes.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
UConn has been trying to get Fairfield County more involved for years. Connecticut has more money than anyone, we should be dominating this new system.
We have money. We just aren’t willing to spend it on college athletics. That is what differentiates is from the SEC and other schools like Texas. This is really bad for UConn athletics. This is another log on the fire. I’m really worried about this.

Reaction Score
Have heard the biz argument is that social media activity/volume/followers can have a significant impact on your NIL revenue opportunities.

And initially in Ct-- players like Paige Buckets--by virtue of their social media following-- Will make more NIL money than their male counterparts (at UConn) until they proactively increase their social media presence.

A new world of marketing for college athletes.
It will be great for Paige Bueckers and other attractive female athletes. They don't make much in the WNBA or any other pro leagues so it's good they can get theirs in college. It will be good for the star men's players but they were going to become rich without this. The question is how does this all play out? I see there being resentment all over the place and a possible nightmare scenario for coaches. Going to be really interesting how it all plays out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom