Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1

Reaction Score
I don’t think the ncaa policy on NIL came out before the board of trustees meeting so I’m assuming the part about boosters could easily change.
Apparently, some states decided to not adopt NIL laws as they felt the NCAA rules would be less restrictive and more open to interpretation which appears to be the case.

Reaction Score
Apparently, some states decided to not adopt NIL laws as they felt the NCAA rules would be less restrictive and more open to interpretation which appears to be the case.
the ncaa is saying yes boosters can get involved if your school/ state allows it. So idk what the state policy is

Reaction Score
The race to the bottom started years ago with the massive TV and advertising contracts and all the money flowing in to college sports. Today marks the point where players can legally join the race.

UCONN's athletic department operates at a huge loss, even if some of it is accounting BS, I think the net loss is real. No massive TV contracts for UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think these guys being able to profit off their own name is good, but I cannot see a way where this happens and doesn't completely ruin the college landscape. The SEC/Big 12/Big 10/ACC are going to absolutely dominate and unless we have big boosters ready and willing to pay up, we're going to have a very hard time recruiting at a high level to keep up with them

And I know these big programs have already been paying under the table for years, but now they will have unlimited big money to throw around without needing to be sneaky about it.

Reaction Score
I think these guys being able to profit off their own name is good, but I cannot see a way where this happens and doesn't completely ruin the college landscape. The SEC/Big 12/Big 10/ACC are going to absolutely dominate and unless we have big boosters ready and willing to pay up, we're going to have a very hard time recruiting at a high level to keep up with them

And I know these big programs have already been paying under the table for years, but now they will have unlimited big money to throw around without needing to be sneaky about it.
Maybe for football but for basketball I think we can keep on par. We have some pretty big basketball donors. football on the other hand that’s a lost cause.

Reaction Score

The idea that SEC boosters (along with other FB conferences) will waste big money on basketball recruits is humorous.

Lets look at UGA’s first NIL deal. The clothing company Onward Reserve signed 2 football players, a baseball player and a golfer.

Reaction Score
Maybe for football but for basketball I think we can keep on par. We have some pretty big basketball donors. football on the other hand that’s a lost cause.

Agreed 100%

Reaction Score
I don't really care about the football aspect. I'm more concerned about traditionally bad P5 basketball programs with a ton of football donor $ will now try to become major players. I mean just look at Michigan vs us for DC. They probably have 500x the amount of rich boosters that we do, we'll find out pretty soon if this ends up being the difference maker in recruiting

Reaction Score
I don't really care about the football aspect. I'm more concerned about traditionally bad P5 basketball programs with a ton of football donor $ will now try to become major players. I mean just look at Michigan vs us for DC. They probably have 500x the amount of rich boosters that we do, we'll find out pretty soon if this ends up being the difference maker in recruiting
to be honest the money that they will be willing to spend on prospects are in the 1-25 range. UConn seems to be recruiting in the 35-100 range. Don’t know if that will demand the huge money we think it will. Also technically it’ll be a violation to offer money for recruits so it’s going to be years before we see where we are in the landscape of this thing.

Reaction Score

It’s really not that hard to understand. Those boosters, by and large, do not care about college basketball.

This is not a theory of mine. I know it to be true. I live in the heart of the SEC. Football is really the only sport that matters and gymnastics, baseball, softball and, in some cases, WBB matters more than MBB.

I know it’s hard for some of you to wrap your heads around but college basketball simply does not exist here as a major sports entity

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Correct.

Schools near large concentrations of wealth should start getting better players.

Schools with large, established alumni networks whose alumni feel attachment to the school and are willing to blow their play cash on paying players vice another vacation home or bigger/better toys will also do better.
The SEC is going to leverage the new rules to create an even greater advantage. From what I can tell, boosters can pay whatever they want and now its an on the books business expense. One example I am thinking is commercial for car dealer. What if they include a video of the entire team? Lot’s of options to exploit this new ruling.

Reaction Score
You guys, I’m not saying the SEC is gong to not spend money on basketball, but thinking they’re going to do so at a rate that far outpaces the other conferences is straight up delusional.

Football of course is a different animal

Reaction Score
You guys, I’m not saying the SEC is gong to not spend money on basketball, but thinking they’re going to do so at a rate that far outpaces the other conferences is straight up delusional.

Football of course is a different animal

The idea that the P5 conferences don't care about basketball is delusional. Of course they do.

Reaction Score
to be honest the money that they will be willing to spend on prospects are in the 1-25 range. UConn seems to be recruiting in the 35-100 range. Don’t know if that will demand the huge money we think it will. Also technically it’ll be a violation to offer money for recruits so it’s going to be years before we see where we are in the landscape of this thing.
It’s really not that hard to understand. Those boosters, by and large, do not care about college basketball.

This is not a theory of mine. I know it to be true. I live in the heart of the SEC. Football is really the only sports that matters and gymnastics, baseball, softball and, in some cases, WBB matters more than MBB.

I know it’s hard for some of you to wrap your heads around but college basketball simply does not exist here as a major sports entity
The 2023 recruiting class will probably be the best indicator if anything major is going to change in the CBB landscape. Guess we'll see who is right and who isn't

Reaction Score
The idea that the P5 conferences don't care about basketball is delusional. Of course they do.
You seem to have issues differentiating between conferences, athletic departments, boosters and fanbases.

ive done all I can to try and help. Be blessed and have a wonderful day.

Reaction Score
The 2023 recruiting class will probably be the best indicator if anything major is going to change in the CBB landscape. Guess we'll see who is right and who isn't

Yeah it’ll be interesting.

TBH I’m not even sure if 2023 is going to be a great indicator.

I don’t know if this is a situation where its going to take time for the impact of all of this to filter through the system OR we could see a situation where it’s super crazy at first and then it settles down.

I happen to be of an opinion that, by and large, it won’t impact the quality of player each school has access to. It’ll obviously impact the process, but the rosters resulting on the other end will look pretty much like they always have at most schools

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom