Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1

Reaction Score
Very few players will be able to make much at all off this. The big stars will make a lot but they are in the minority.
How can a bunch of Americans misunderstand the free market so much? This just creates a new opportunity for rebalancing the game and stodgy monopolistic nature of the system - which is GOOD.

You guys are looking at this wayyyyyy too simply.

Might 5 star guys get into some 6 figure bidding wars, sure! But schools will pursue different strategies, maybe convince donors to NIL a bunch of 3-4 star guys with upside at a much lower price point rather than bid for the 5 stars. Football with the volume of recruits and rosters this will be particularly important to scout guys really well and then make your hay at the smaller NIL guys. $500-1000/mo to get an awesome 3 star rather than $50k/mo for the 5-star with limited upside might be a better bet. Let the sharks overpay, you go after the guys with raw talent that needs to be molded for a year or two.

In basketball it will probably work similarly. Top 20 guys might be super pricey, and so the competition for the 50-100 and 100-200 level guys might be a much better cost/benefit, and give teams that traditionally would just have no shot... well... a shot. Does Fairfield U. have a megadonor willing to give the #10 player in the class a $1m/yr deal to put fairfield on the map? great. Duck Fuke.

And not the right forum, but wake up the 3 guys keeping the lights on at the "realignment board", cuz in this new world where direct compensation goes to the players, now the conference/facilities/tradition that kept that whole rotten cartel in power just all got pegged down a notch. Let 'em burn, should be the position of all UConn fans.

Sit back and enjoy the chaos, and hope our coaching staff and AD are agile enough to embrace the new world and thrive in it.

Def Jam Burn GIF by Universal Music MY

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think these guys being able to profit off their own name is good, but I cannot see a way where this happens and doesn't completely ruin the college landscape. The SEC/Big 12/Big 10/ACC are going to absolutely dominate and unless we have big boosters ready and willing to pay up, we're going to have a very hard time recruiting at a high level to keep up with them

And I know these big programs have already been paying under the table for years, but now they will have unlimited big money to throw around without needing to be sneaky about it.
Maybe for football but for basketball I think we can keep on par. We have some pretty big basketball donors. football on the other hand that’s a lost cause.

I think I am good with that.

I think for any of these sports, the high level athletes will be able to get theirs regardless of school. The social media and other deals go beyond school borders.

The key for success is the second and third tier players you need for program depth. A couple of hundred bucks or up to $1k/month is plenty enough for roster fillers. They're now nothing more than filler players on an A or AA baseball team to fill out the roster for the higher level prospects.

Reaction Score
I think I am good with that.

I think for any of these sports, the high level athletes will be able to get theirs regardless of school. The social media and other deals go beyond school borders.

The key for success is the second and third tier players you need for program depth. A couple of hundred bucks or up to $1k/month is plenty enough for roster fillers. They're now nothing more than filler players on an A or AA baseball team to fill out the roster for the higher level prospects.
What's to stop Nike and Under Armour from giving millions to kids to go to Oregon and Maryland?

I don't see how any of this is good in this wild west format, they need to work all this stuff out and soon or college sports are done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UCONN's athletic department operates at a huge loss, even if some of it is accounting BS, I think the net loss is real. No massive TV contracts for UCONN.
So since players are being allowed to join in the money being made by their colleges sports programs, does that that mean that have to money back to UConn?

(Hi sprinter X, your share of the athletic depts loss is $76,492. We'll send you a bill.)

Reaction Score
What's to stop Nike and Under Armour from giving millions to kids to go to Oregon and Maryland?

I don't see how any of this is good in this wild west format, they need to work all this stuff out and soon or college sports are done.

The fallacy of your argument is right there; if Nike or Under Armour values college sports enough to pay “millions” to college athletes, why would it make sense to them to destroy college sports?

Also, side note, these are public companies that need to answer to stock holders etc. So, I would settle down on the hyperbole a lil bit

Reaction Score
So since players are being allowed to join in the money being made by their colleges sports programs, does that that mean that have to money back to UConn?

(Hi sprinter X, your share of the athletic depts loss is $76,492. We'll send you a bill.)
i’m assuming you are being facetious, but in case not…that’s not how employment works anywhere, so why would that apply here?

Reaction Score
The fallacy of your argument is right there; if Nike or Under Armour values college sports enough to pay “millions” to college athletes, why would it make sense to them to destroy college sports?

Also, side note, these are public companies that need to answer to stock holders etc. So, I would settle down on the hyperbole a lil bit
When you only have a small group of teams competing you ruin college sports, when you're only a good program and able to compete because you have the most millionaire and billionaire donors you're ruining college sports.

Phil Knight and the like don't answer to anyone. So, I would settle down on the naivete a little bit.

Reaction Score
When you only have a small group of teams competing you ruin college sports, when you're only a good program and able to compete because you have the most millionaire and billionaire donors you're ruining college sports.

Phil Knight and the like don't answer to anyone. So, I would settle down on the naivete a little bit.

Question, how do you morally justify Nike sponsoring schools and coaches, buying TV ads during college games, and buying advertisements in stadiums? But not this?

CL82

Reaction Score
i’m assuming you are being facetious, but in case not…that’s not how employment works anywhere, so why would that apply here?
Wasn't that the underlying collectivist principal regarding NIL? Athletes should share in the what colleges were making from their efforts. If they share in the gain, shouldn't their share in the loss?

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Who says that they value college sports? It was just an relatively efficient marketing tool. If paying the athletes directly is more a efficient marketing tool, why wouldn't they eliminate the middleman?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Can the people who said they weren't going to watch college sports when the players get paid please come to the front of the line? We'd like a word with you. The facade of amateurism is dead thank god. Also give Reggie Bush his trophy back.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

I mean, there has only been a small group of teams really competing in college sports when it comes to pulling in 5 star recruits. Also, these companies had already been funneling money to kids through colleges. It's been happening.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Yeah that's not exactly true. Phil Knight absolutely care what shareholders think...

Reaction Score
Wasn't that the underlying collectivist principal regarding NIL? Athletes should share in the what colleges were making from their efforts. If they share in the gain, shouldn't their share in the loss?
is that how your job works? it’s not how mine does.

Reaction Score
Yeah that's not exactly true. Phil Knight absolutely care what shareholders think...
No, it's exactly true. Phil Knight can throw millions wherever he likes it and doesn't have to answer to shareholders.

Reaction Score
I mean, there has only been a small group of teams really competing in college sports when it comes to pulling in 5 star recruits. Also, these companies had already been funneling money to kids through colleges. It's been happening.
There's a major difference between some wannabee street agent funneling 20 grand to a player's mom to go to Louisville and what this opens itself up to. People are talking about what's to stop a local car dealership from paying players, I'm talking about what's to stop it from being the fighting Phil Knights against the fighting Bezos'.

If this isn't heavily regulated it will be a disaster, it needs to all be figured out soon.

Reaction Score
Connecticut loves the basketball Huskies. Car dealers alone can probably provide some pretty good money for our better players. If I owned a business in CT, I’m not sure there would be a better advertising strategy than UConn meet and greets and UConn spokespeople. Look at Diggins in interviews, he’s a natural. Giving them money may be harder for us, but employing them will be very easy.

Reaction Score
There's a major difference between some wannabee street agent funneling 20 grand to a player's mom to go to Louisville and what this opens itself up to. People are talking about what's to stop a local car dealership from paying players, I'm talking about what's to stop it from being the fighting Phil Knights against the fighting Bezos'.

If this isn't heavily regulated it will be a disaster, it needs to all be figured out soon.
What would you call a Oregon vs Maryland football or basketball game?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Salary (cough, cough) caps

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Connecticut loves the basketball Huskies. Car dealers alone can probably provide some pretty good money for our better players. If I owned a business in CT, I’m not sure there would be a better advertising strategy than UConn meet and greets and UConn spokespeople. Look at Diggins in interviews, he’s a natural. Giving them money may be harder for us, but employing them will be very easy.

Not just pay but benefits. Give the kids a car with dealership logos on it. Free ride for the kid, free advertising for the dealership.

Reaction Score
yes Phil Knight can throw his personal millions not Nike's millions those are very different. But sure keep believing whatever you want.
Phil Knight is Nike. Bezos is no longer CEO at Amazon either but he is Amazon. They could throw around millions to whatever the hell they wanted to 5 years ago and now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom