Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1

Reaction Score
Oregon Coach Kelly Graves could have made some money back in college. See video when he was a player at New Mexico

1625194507740.png

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's only a matter of time when an nba team will draft a high school kid, pay for college to develop players. Will certain colleges become farm teams affiliated with an nba team?

This is going to totally screw up college sports.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
So who are going make the official representative of the BY? 'Cause we pretty much can now.

'The NCAA could and should limit the damage by allowing players to play through graduate school. A not good enough for the NBA type college player may still be better in his 6th year than a future NBA freshman college player.

Reaction Score
I think anyone who isn't completely out of touch agrees NIL should be allowed for student athletes. There will obviously be resentments when some of the kids are cleaning up like crazy and some are still just regular college basketball players like they've always been. Headaches galore for coaches but whatever, figure it out and NCAA figure it out...The terrifying thing if you're a fan of this whole college sports thing is boosters beeing allowed to have free reign...

I can't understand how anyone who has watched how we've run as a country isn't terrified of this becoming the Larry Ellison's against the Jeff Bezos's against the Phil Knights against the Elon Musks. I might be overstating it but it seems we're now open up to this sort of thing happening. I still haven't seen enough, read enough, and haven't seen where this is going but from what I have...it needs to be highly regulated. People seem to still be debating how it will effect the landscape with the local car dealership guy being involved. Sure, that's a thing but we're in this limbo right now where it could become Pony Express ×20.

As a college sports fan I hate it but if this the road we're choosing to travel down...Dave Benedict, Lamont etc. better be on the horn with Vince McMahon and Ray Dalio. If we're going full clown let's be the clown leaders.

Reaction Score
At a certain point I can see the schools becoming less involved in the operation as it becomes the "Connecticut Huskies" brought to you by the Connecticut state merchants. Why continue the charade of going to classes? At least at that point the state would no longer have to subsidize the operation. I can also see MLB supporting this and dropping some of their minor league franchises which lose money. I also might be half a sleep this Friday morning writing dumb crap. I have no idea how this plays out but it seems the beast has been unleashed.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's only a matter of time when an nba team will draft a high school kid, pay for college to develop players. Will certain colleges become farm teams affiliated with an nba team?

That happens in Hockey now more or less. Baseball players can be drafted and keep playing as well. I'm not sure that's bad. Imagine Bouk gets drafted, and the team thinks another year at UConn would benefit him more.

Reaction Score
That happens in Hockey now more or less. Baseball players can be drafted and keep playing as well. I'm not sure that's bad. Imagine Bouk gets drafted, and the team thinks another year at UConn would benefit him more.

This is why all this hyperventilating is kinda insane. People are scared of losing college basketball as they know it (which is incredibly exploitative to the players)

But it is just as likely this improves the competitive balance, spreads out talent and makes a MORE compelling tournament/season than it gets worse.

Its the not knowing that is making them all a bunch of chicken littles. Let it play out - there is a lot of money on the line for everyone to figure out a system.

The real problem is the NCAAs complete inability to sheperd this transition gracefully because they are so invested in the exploitative system, and rather leaving it to a chaotic unregulated mess that implements in like 2 weeks.

Reaction Score
One final thought now that you are seeing players start to sign deals - this could INCREASE the amount of time players stay in college, lowering the constant turnover, and increasing both the quality of players in college and the cohesiveness of teams. Currently, the main incentive to go "pro" was the payday. Its an enormous cliff. How many of us said it about Bouk. "If you are a 1st rounder you gotta go." Its because of the all/nothing cliff economics. You gotta take the payday. Some/much of that may be mitigated by the fact that some really high level college players at big marketable brands (UConn, hello) may have higher or equivalent earning potential - or at least more guaranteed income - in college.

For instance, a guy who's a bubble first rounder but an all-conference sophomore at UConn may have 3 years left of solid NIL $$ plus the college lifestyle he is enjoying... vs maybe a non-guaranteed NBA/overseas contract and the possibility he flames out and being a bench NBA guy may have much lower earning potential on social than a bigtime college athlete.

There's alot you disaster theorists haven't quite thought thru with this. That's my point.

Reaction Score
Awesome, thanks for posting this! Amazing to re-watch, at the time I thought it was a death blow (as exposure of same ruse later was to his marriage) and Don would be fired, humiliated and it'd be about him rebuilding. Not quite, yes it was a show about people, relationships and the world, but thru the lens of advertising where perception is reality.

Bert's speech then about the man in the room means college sports is what it currently is. Don's facade and the amateur facade will endure b/c we want it to, it makes everyone happy and makes money. We actually get to keep pretending as long as that's profitable. Just don't tell our wives!

Indeed. Couldn’t have said it better myself

Reaction Score
One final thought now that you are seeing players start to sign deals - this could INCREASE the amount of time players stay in college, lowering the constant turnover, and increasing both the quality of players in college and the cohesiveness of teams. Currently, the main incentive to go "pro" was the payday. Its an enormous cliff. How many of us said it about Bouk. "If you are a 1st rounder you gotta go." Its because of the all/nothing cliff economics. You gotta take the payday. Some/much of that may be mitigated by the fact that some really high level college players at big marketable brands (UConn, hello) may have higher or equivalent earning potential - or at least more guaranteed income - in college.

For instance, a guy who's a bubble first rounder but an all-conference sophomore at UConn may have 3 years left of solid NIL $$ plus the college lifestyle he is enjoying... vs maybe a non-guaranteed NBA/overseas contract and the possibility he flames out and being a bench NBA guy may have much lower earning potential on social than a bigtime college athlete.

There's alot you disaster theorists haven't quite thought thru with this. That's my point.

Get some hot sauce sponsorships pronto

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Alleviates the strain on universities to pay the athletes and kills the bag men and agents.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can’t wait to see a 17 year old kid with no financial planning skills burn thru $30k a year.

This will be a disaster.

there are 50 year old's making 10 times that much that burn through it too.

The threat of poor use of the money should be separate from deserving the compensation in the first place.

Maybe an opportunity for school's to set aside some of the money for 401k or IRA's and provide matching funds.

Reaction Score

The threat of poor use of the money should be separate from deserving the compensation in the first place.

Maybe an opportunity for school's to set aside some of the money for 401k or IRA's and provide matching funds.

Schools, including UConn, are also setting up staffs (or outsourcing the job to law firms) to help kids navigate these waters. I assume money management, taxes etc are wrapped up in that.

I also knew plenty of kids in college that had plenty of money thanks to their parents. If those of you inferring that athletes won’t be able to handle it because of their backgrounds...well, y’all are big ole (jerk)holes

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I know players can't market themselves in uniform or using the school name, but if they get the school's permission (so basically, if the school gets a cut) would they then be able to make a commercial in uniform? Or is that an NCAA rule?

Reaction Score
I know players can't market themselves in uniform or using the school name, but if they get the school's permission (so basically, if the school gets a cut) would they then be able to make a commercial in uniform? Or is that an NCAA rule?

I think* this is like the one rule in all of this lol

Basically it seems the kids can get paid by anyone for anything, except by the schools themselves

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think* this is like the one rule in all of this lol

Basically it seems the kids can get paid by anyone for anything, except by the schools themselves

Well I'm not asking if the schools can pay the kids, but if Joe's car dealership can pay 'player A' to film a commercial, and ALSO pay UConn so 'player A' can wear the jersey and say "I'm player A, basketball player at UConn."

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Can’t wait to see a 17 year old kid with no financial planning skills burn thru $30k a year.

This will be a disaster.
Why can't you wait to see this? Sounds like you live a pretty sad life is this is what you enjoy.

Reaction Score
Well I'm not asking if the schools can pay the kids, but if Joe's car dealership can pay 'player A' to film a commercial, and ALSO pay UConn so 'player A' can wear the jersey and say "I'm player A, basketball player at UConn."

Right, no. I don’t think* the kids would be allowed to use UConn in any real way

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Why can't you wait to see this? Sounds like you live a pretty sad life is this is what you enjoy.
I was being facetious. The college they attend should enroll them in personal financial courses.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I was being facetious. The college they attend should enroll them in personal financial courses.
Agreed, honestly those classes should be mandatory in high school. Instead I was forced to take Calculus which has helped me with absolutely nothing since I took it.

Reaction Score
Agreed, honestly those classes should be mandatory in high school. Instead I was forced to take Calculus which has helped me with absolutely nothing since I took it.

Attachments

• DB8363DB-2CBF-4129-9E74-EB9BBA9939BB.jpeg
    DB8363DB-2CBF-4129-9E74-EB9BBA9939BB.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 70

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

One. I don't think taking a personal finance class actually makes you smart enough to manage larger amounts of money. Get a pro.

Two. My kids' HS started mandating personal finance. For my oldest kid it was just a requirement before they graduated. For my younger one, it was required by end of sophomore year which is when most kids become old enough to get their first job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom