Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Boosters can technically pay athletes as of July 1

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Schools, including UConn, are also setting up staffs (or outsourcing the job to law firms) to help kids navigate these waters. I assume money management, taxes etc are wrapped up in that.

I also knew plenty of kids in college that had plenty of money thanks to their parents. If those of you inferring that athletes won’t be able to handle it because of their backgrounds...well, y’all are big ole (jerk)holes

Reality is many kids playing D1 basketball do come from disadvantaged homes and financial acuity isn't necessarily taught or demonstrated at home. If that makes me a big ole' jerkhole, so be it.

What that has to do with trust fund kids also being irresponsible with money, IDK. Also saw plenty of middle class kids with stable homes who ran up some crazy credit card bills.

So, rather than having some sort of prerequisite, you give all of the players the same training/advice/services and then let the chips fall where they may.

Reaction Score
Reality is many kids playing D1 basketball do come from disadvantaged homes and financial acuity isn't necessarily taught or demonstrated at home. If that makes me a big ole' jerkhole, so be it.

What that has to do with trust fund kids also being irresponsible with money, IDK. Also saw plenty of middle class kids with stable homes who ran up some crazy credit card bills.

So, rather than having some sort of prerequisite, you give all of the players the same training/advice/services and then let the chips fall where they may.

Lol I don’t think I was directly responding to you...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Lol I don’t think I was directly responding to you...

Sure seemed like you were.

1625236522571.png

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Can’t wait to see a 17 year old kid with no financial planning skills burn thru $30k a year.

This will be a disaster.

kids on tik tok are doing fine this will be so fun to watch. College sports will turn into the nba where fans don’t care about the games they care about the storylines

Reaction Score
kids on tik tok are doing fine this will be so fun to watch. College sports will turn into the nba where fans don’t care about the games they care about the storylines

I would argue college sports has always been just as much as about what happen off the field/court as what happens on it. So this will just add another layer. It’ll be fun and fine.

Reaction Score
One final thought now that you are seeing players start to sign deals - this could INCREASE the amount of time players stay in college, lowering the constant turnover, and increasing both the quality of players in college and the cohesiveness of teams. Currently, the main incentive to go "pro" was the payday. Its an enormous cliff. How many of us said it about Bouk. "If you are a 1st rounder you gotta go." Its because of the all/nothing cliff economics. You gotta take the payday. Some/much of that may be mitigated by the fact that some really high level college players at big marketable brands (UConn, hello) may have higher or equivalent earning potential - or at least more guaranteed income - in college.

For instance, a guy who's a bubble first rounder but an all-conference sophomore at UConn may have 3 years left of solid NIL $$ plus the college lifestyle he is enjoying... vs maybe a non-guaranteed NBA/overseas contract and the possibility he flames out and being a bench NBA guy may have much lower earning potential on social than a bigtime college athlete.

There's alot you disaster theorists haven't quite thought thru with this. That's my point.

Bingo. The Carsen Edwards, Tremont Waters, etc. of the world are much, much more likely to play out their 4 years now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One final thought now that you are seeing players start to sign deals - this could INCREASE the amount of time players stay in college, lowering the constant turnover, and increasing both the quality of players in college and the cohesiveness of teams. Currently, the main incentive to go "pro" was the payday. Its an enormous cliff. How many of us said it about Bouk. "If you are a 1st rounder you gotta go." Its because of the all/nothing cliff economics. You gotta take the payday. Some/much of that may be mitigated by the fact that some really high level college players at big marketable brands (UConn, hello) may have higher or equivalent earning potential - or at least more guaranteed income - in college.

For instance, a guy who's a bubble first rounder but an all-conference sophomore at UConn may have 3 years left of solid NIL $$ plus the college lifestyle he is enjoying... vs maybe a non-guaranteed NBA/overseas contract and the possibility he flames out and being a bench NBA guy may have much lower earning potential on social than a bigtime college athlete.

There's alot you disaster theorists haven't quite thought thru with this. That's my point.

It seems to that there is an implicit assumption that NIL money will disappear after a kid leave college or that NIL rights are the something accorded to a college athletes only. When a kid leaves college to go pro, their followers don't evaporate. They keep their NIL money plus earn a pro salary.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Looks like Buddy Buckets has his own shirt with the Cuse logo. They love making shirts at that school. I’m guessing schools will adjust their rules as they see fit.

Reaction Score
Looks like Buddy Buckets has his own shirt with the Cuse logo. They love making shirts at that school. I’m guessing schools will adjust their rules as they see fit.
Every enterprising kid should make a shirt and find a local sponsorship. Just listened to Titus & Tate talking about how Mark Titus sold shirts while at Ohio St but had to give all the profits to charity while in school. He still had inventory and sold post-grad, so he split the $ with the charity.

I think this could be fun like the 70s 80s era bad commercials featuring local pro athletes. People are over-focused on the future pros who are going to make millions regardless and don't understand the life bettering difference this makes for the kids on the fringe. Now their UConn experience is worth something while they are there and when they graduate. I think UConn fans would love to retroactively pay the Ricky Moores and Rash Jones of the program, going forward they get a slice of the Polley Pie. Personally, I can't wait to get my UConn freshman shirt. I will wear this while eating my RJ Cole-Slaw from the Storrs Price Chopper.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It seems to that there is an implicit assumption that NIL money will disappear after a kid leave college or that NIL rights are the something accorded to a college athletes only. When a kid leaves college to go pro, their followers don't evaporate. They keep their NIL money plus earn a pro salary.

May lose some, will likely gain others. It will work out. Kids who don't go pro can certainly lose followers or interest in NIL deals. Depends on what is driving the interest really. Are the funny? Hot? But in any event they aren't worse off.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Riddle me this: Can a school still prohibit players from accepting money for endorsement? I can see someone at the end of the bench taking money to endorse a website in social media, then being told by the school their scholarship would be given to someone else the following year.

Reaction Score
Riddle me this: Can a school still prohibit players from accepting money for endorsement? I can see someone at the end of the bench taking money to endorse a website in social media, then being told by the school their scholarship would be given to someone else the following year.
Yes, I think so. But then of course the player can transfer.

Reaction Score
Here is the first 2 million dollar deal.

With millions of dollars in the bank as a teenager, Miller stated that he'll be putting his newfound money back into the community -- though he will treat himself to a new Tesla as well.

Master P's son, Hercy Miller, signs $2M endorsement deal after NCAA rule change

Reaction Score

With millions of dollars in the bank as a teenager, Miller stated that he'll be putting his newfound money back into the community -- though he will treat himself to a new Tesla as well.

He's got 100k+ Instagram followers.

Reaction Score
I know players can't market themselves in uniform or using the school name, but if they get the school's permission (so basically, if the school gets a cut) would they then be able to make a commercial in uniform? Or is that an NCAA rule?
Apparently the answer is yes, though not the exact same as your scenario. But seems like it would be possible

Reaction Score

Did anyone look into this?

It's 100% a shell company tax evasion or money laundering scheme.

Look at the web design company's website:

The press release quotes the CEO of the company but doesn't name them. So funny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom