Big Ten WBB | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big Ten WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Refs let the game get out of control in the 3Q, and then both teams and fans paid the price a bit with some ... interesting calls in the 4Q and OT. Each team was flopping a lot.

Reaction Score
I've said it before and imma say it again, you do not want to play Indiana in your bracket. This team has final 4 material and even possible national champion.

Reaction Score
Flopping I think was in Indiana's game plan. On one play (I believe Brown) was already falling backwards before a player touched her.
Cardano was sooooo extra I wanted to scream. The refs allowed her and Patberg to assault Benzan and Owusu the entire game. And Reese ...needs to trade in that scoop shot for at least one other move. She played well, but I was more impressed that she didn't blow up. Seems to have matured a little bit. Good. I still think MD is a very dangerous team.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand why the flopping rule was only added to the men's game this season. There's something to be said for absorbing contact, but it's going too far.

I'm also curious as to what others think of players who draw fouls by selling the contact (e.g. Harden, etc.). That's becoming more evident in the game as well, especially with some guards I've seen. If flopping needs to be addressed, I think this will have to as well.

Reaction Score
Cardano was sooooo extra I wanted to scream. The refs allowed her and Patberg to assault Benzan and Owusu the entire game. And Reese ...needs to trade in that scoop shot for at least one other move. She played well, but I was more impressed that she didn't blow up. Seems to have matured a little bit. Good. I still think MD is a very dangerous team.
In the 2 or 3 games I have seen Indiana play this year, Cardano has flopped excessively in all of them.

Reaction Score
Reese blow up? Did Reese have an on court “blow up” since entering college? “Matured a little bit?” what does she need to do to mature a lot lol What am I missing with your comments? Frese is the one who should’ve blown ip yesterday at the officials over those flops

Reaction Score
How long will the Big10 just be a tough mediocre conference with potential ? When will they really have a true title contender ? We have been hoping Maryland would answer the call the last 5 years but they show their true faces in the tourney every year. Now it seems the consensus thinks Indiana has a real shot. Yeah to make the final 4 if they get another weak bracket & #1 seed aka NC state but no way in hell can anyone truly say they think Indiana can with the national championship LOL

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Accuse IU of flopping all you want. But the fact of the matter is, multiple teams over the past 12 months (Texas, South Carolina, Indiana) have exposed that Maryland struggles to score points when they are forced to rely on half or quarter court offense. Yes, they are an offensively elite team at running the fast break in the open court. But they clearly get frustrated when they don't have as much space to work with in their set offense. This frustration and trying to force penetration and create space when it was not there is what led to offensive fouls.

I'll be the first to agree that Cardano-Hilary is one of the most overdramatic defenders when it comes to selling contact. But Indiana did not win this game because of the refs. Their defense is in the 90th percentile this season, and it's not because refs just like to reward flops. Indiana executed their game plan to a T:
--forced MD to play defense for a full 30 seconds on most possessions
--eliminated MD's fast break (MD scored only 8 points on fast breaks, 13 off turnovers)
--defended the 3 point line superbly (MD shot 3-13 from 3)
--won the rebounding battle (37 to 35, MD had only 10 second chance points)
--ball pressure + help defense took away all their easy passes (MD had 19 turnovers to just 6 assists -- tying their season low against South Carolina)
--frustrated Owusu in particular into making bad decisions (1 assist to 7 turnovers, with just 10 points on 13 shots).

Thanks for reading. :D

Reaction Score
I still don't understand why the flopping rule was only added to the men's game this season. There's something to be said for absorbing contact, but it's going too far.

I'm also curious as to what others think of players who draw fouls by selling the contact (e.g. Harden, etc.). That's becoming more evident in the game as well, especially with some guards I've seen. If flopping needs to be addressed, I think this will have to as well.
This season the NBA has made an effort to clean up the "foul or ref" baiting as some people call it. That's when the an offensive player launches his or her body into the defensive player in an attempt to draw a foul. It's an most certainly an issue on college and pro level of the women's game too.

Reaction Score
Some of those offensive fouls against Maryland were not all due to the Indiana's players "flopping" either in my opinion. There were several poorly executed screens where Maryland players weren't set properly. That definitely isn't due to anything Indiana did during the game.

Reaction Score
On a different topic, I'm looking forward to the Naz Hillmon documentary tonight after the Michigan-Nebraska game. I think it's great that the BIG 10 is providing her coverage. I've been impressed with what she does both on and off the court from what I've read about her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If I am a slight 5-6 guard, I would flop every time if I have to guard Owusu , Reese. Drawing charges is a one way ticket to the Emergency room. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
On a different topic, I'm looking forward to the Naz Hillmon documentary tonight after the Michigan-Nebraska game. I think it's great that the BIG 10 is providing her coverage. I've been impressed with what she does both on and off the court from what I've read about her.

Same here. I will be watching the game and documentary on Naz. She is just a joy to watch. Great person on/off the court.

Reaction Score
Accuse IU of flopping all you want. But the fact of the matter is, multiple teams over the past 12 months (Texas, South Carolina, Indiana) have exposed that Maryland struggles to score points when they are forced to rely on half or quarter court offense. Yes, they are an offensively elite team at running the fast break in the open court. But they clearly get frustrated when they don't have as much space to work with in their set offense. This frustration and trying to force penetration and create space when it was not there is what led to offensive fouls.

I'll be the first to agree that Cardano-Hilary is one of the most overdramatic defenders when it comes to selling contact. But Indiana did not win this game because of the refs. Their defense is in the 90th percentile this season, and it's not because refs just like to reward flops. Indiana executed their game plan to a T:
--forced MD to play defense for a full 30 seconds on most possessions
--eliminated MD's fast break (MD scored only 8 points on fast breaks, 13 off turnovers)
--defended the 3 point line superbly (MD shot 3-13 from 3)
--won the rebounding battle (37 to 35, MD had only 10 second chance points)
--ball pressure + help defense took away all their easy passes (MD had 19 turnovers to just 6 assists -- tying their season low against South Carolina)
--frustrated Owusu in particular into making bad decisions (1 assist to 7 turnovers, with just 10 points on 13 shots).

Thanks for reading. :D
Your right they did all that and wound up winning in overtime on their home floor. Good look to them when they go to College Park

Reaction Score
Well. I gotta give Nebraska and Coach Amy Williams their props. Coach Williams as this Nebraska squad playing with a lot of energy.
I watched their game versus Michigan State in addition to last night's game. The team we saw last night wasn't the team that lost to Michigan State.

Not sure how Michigan State pulled off the win now. They were short handed and should have won the rebounding battle that game.

Their freshmen are impressing me. While Coley may need to be reigned in for her temperament (that T wasn't necessary), both she and Markowski(sic?) will be tough to battle in the post.

Reaction Score
Same here. I will be watching the game and documentary on Naz. She is just a joy to watch. Great person on/off the court.
I thought they did a great job with the show. Respect to the Hillmon family considering what happened to her younger brother last season. For her to play and lead her team while dealing with that in the background along with COVID. Got me a little teary eyed.

Reaction Score
Neb wipes the floor with Michigan 79-58. They should be in Top 20.
Well, they were being held back by their poor SOS. It just jumped considerably and they have there first big win of the season. In RPI (yeah, I know) , they jumped 11 spots with last night's win. Human pollsters will give them a good boost if they win out the week.

Reaction Score
Neb wipes the floor with Michigan 79-58. They should be in Top 20.

Definitely should have been among the Top 20 from the jump! Folks say their (Nebraska's) SOS kept them out of the rankings earlier. Well, they should be in the Top 20 soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom