Big Ten WBB | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big Ten WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, without Holmes I really don’t know if IN can stay with MI.
I'm of the same thought but Indiana was pretty impressive last year and she wasn't the primary focus of the offense then compared to this season. Gulbe and Browne are serviceable and will be physical in the paint.

The guard play for Indiana could be their strength in this game. Michigan's guards can be inconsistent at times and streaky from the 3 point line. Leigha Brown and Kiser have to have big games to help take the focus off of Hillmon.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I'm of the same thought but Indiana was pretty impressive last year and she wasn't the primary focus of the offense then compared to this season. Gulbe and Browne are serviceable and will be physical in the paint.

The guard play for Indiana could be their strength in this game. Michigan's guards can be inconsistent at times and streaky from the 3 point line. Leigha Brown and Kiser have to have big games to help take the focus off of Hillmon.
Agree with most of this, but have to disagree with your comment that Holmes wasn't the primary focus of Indiana's offense last season. Last season (and this season too) she led them in PPG, FGA, FG%, USG%, and PER. And she was second (but essentially tied for first) in FGA. So I'm not sure it's possible how you could justify your claim statistically. Additionally, simply having her camped out as a scoring threat on the block creates the spacing that opens things up for the guards to drive.

Gulbe has been able to shoulder a bit more of the scoring load as of late, but she's a stretch 4, not a true 5. So that changes their offense a bit. Browne can set good screens and play good defense, but she's hardly a scoring threat on the block.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with most of this, but have to disagree with your comment that Holmes wasn't the primary focus of Indiana's offense last season. Last season (and this season too) she led them in PPG, FGA, FG%, USG%, and PER. And she was second (but essentially tied for first) in FGA. So I'm not sure it's possible how you could justify your claim statistically. Additionally, simply having her camped out as a scoring threat on the block creates the spacing that opens things up for the guards to drive.

Gulbe has been able to shoulder a bit more of the scoring load as of late, but she's a stretch 4, not a true 5. So that changes their offense a bit. Browne can set good screens and play good defense, but she's hardly a scoring threat on the block.
My thoughts aren't based on stats but from how I saw her progress throughout the season. Last season it felt like you had to plan for Patberg and Berger first, then Holmes. This season, it's the opposite where you better have a plan for Holmes first, then focus on the rest of the team.

Re Gulbe, I agree she's not a true 5 but she has when needed. Browne may not be a scoring threat but her physicality is what Indiana relies on. Where Browne excels is in frustrating players from what I remember seeing when she played in HS. They'll need a lot of that with Hillmon and Kiser.

Reaction Score
They are playing better than any team in the Big 10 right now. Strange that we are talking about the top 4 teams in the Big 10 (Ohio State and Iowa are playing now). rand Maryland is not one of them.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
They are playing better than any team in the Big 10 right now. Strange that we are talking about the top 4 teams in the Big 10 (Ohio State and Iowa are playing now). rand Maryland is not one of them.
Believe me, no one around the Big Ten is counting the Terps out!

So Michigan outrebounds IN by 32 and win by 15 wow
When your post depth is sketch and your starting center gets injured, that tends to happen.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wow, Hillmon is good. She sank some shots tonight that nobody should be able to make.

I hope she and Grace Berger are drafted by teams that will use their skills well.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Didn't see the Iowa game but Clark had a monster night--43 points, 16/28 FG, 7/14 from 3. Couldn't get the win though. Ohio State is quietly putting together a nice season. Sheldon and Mikesell are a lethal backcourt.

Michigan is playing good basketball right now and appears to be in the driver's seat for the Big Ten title. Good win today. Indiana just isn't the same team without Holmes inside. It's a shame since she was having a great year and Indiana seemed to have all the pieces to win the Big Ten and make a solid Final Four run. They could still win the Big Ten since they have a light schedule ahead, with only Iowa/Maryland as noteworthy games left on the schedule.

Reaction Score
So Michigan outrebounds IN by 32 and win by 15 wow
It should have been by a larger margin. Indiana was able to generate 17 turnovers by the first half. When the announcers had stated in the 3rd that Michigan had more turnovers than made shots, while shooting 50% I was shocked. I don't know if it's me, but Michigan doesn't handle full court pressure as well as I thought they could.

Reaction Score
In fairness, this is a good thing for Maryland. They turn things around and get some wins in the conference they won't have the "But they play in the BIG10" line used against them.

Reaction Score
Caught the tail end of the 4th of the Iowa-OSU game. Ending was crazy as Iowa thought there should have been a foul call against OSU. Had they gotten the call, Iowa could have won the game. From the replay angles, I honestly don't know. From one angle, it looked like Marshall fell. Another angle looks like it there was contact.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This match felt like a replay of 2021, when Ohio State went to Iowa and beat the Hawkeyes (I might add in a game that Dorka J. sat out).

Clark went for 43 last night and stroked a 3 from infinity with just a few minutes left. But OSU came right back and then had their guards attack Clark and see if she could first get the ball to someone else, then see if the others could do anything with it.

Her Iowa teammate and center Monika Czinano scored 23 and grabbed 9 rebounds. She was her usual second option.
After that, Kate Martin had 8...that's it.

By contrast, Ohio State had four in double figures, and two that scored 9 and 8 respectively.

OSU came back in the 2nd half and then used individual and team speed to frustrate Clark and teammates on defense, most notably Rikki Harris on CC and Tanaya Beacham on Czinano.

Jacy Sheldon, Braxtin Miller and Taylor Mikesell of the Buckeyes are all very cool customers under pressure who can stroke the jumper.

Some teams just don't match up well: OSU seems to get at Iowa while this years Michigan team has OSU's number.

Ultimately, this is Iowa's issue with Clark: she's great getting them to this level, but not sure the rest of the team can let her soar higher (save the center). And she's so exhausted getting them 35 minutes, she wears down.....

The wacky plays at the end of the game were extra frosting, but the cake is what OSU has done up that point. Tip of the hat to those guards and the game plan.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Caught the tail end of the 4th of the Iowa-OSU game. Ending was crazy as Iowa thought there should have been a foul call against OSU. Had they gotten the call, Iowa could have won the game. From the replay angles, I honestly don't know. From one angle, it looked like Marshall fell. Another angle looks like it there was contact.
She went down HARD. At first I thought it was a foul, but after seeing replay several times I think it was just her own momentum. There might've been a tiny bit of contact, but not enough to warrant a foul.

But never mind that last play. Most of the 4th quarter the Ohio St. guards were mugging Clark, and Iowa couldn't get a whistle to save their lives.

And then there was that egregious kicked ball that wasn't called.

Reaction Score
She went down HARD. At first I thought it was a foul, but after seeing replay several times I think it was just her own momentum. There might've been a tiny bit of contact, but not enough to warrant a foul.

But never mind that last play. Most of the 4th quarter the Ohio St. guards were mugging Clark, and Iowa couldn't get a whistle to save their lives.

And then there was that egregious kicked ball that wasn't called.
Okay, so it wasn't just me who thought that it was momentum. I could understand the fans anger because they may not have seen the replay angles we did. I would have had a hard time seeing that being called a foul though.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Michigan plays Iowa on Sunday. Should be a nice game.
Evening game: 6:30 Eastern on Big Ten Network. At Michigan, who is undefeated at home.

Michigan recently shut down Ohio State, who then went on the road to narrowly beat Iowa.

Morning-coffee gut reaction: Michigan's got Naz Hillon and Emily Kiser inside against Monika Czinano.
And Leigha Brown mid-range and Maddie Nolan long-range.
Iowa of course, counters with Clark at mid- and long-range. Can she get any help outside of her center, which is the standard question when Iowa plays top-rate teams. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Evening game: 6:30 Eastern on Big Ten Network. At Michigan, who is undefeated at home.

Michigan recently shut down Ohio State, who then went on the road to narrowly beat Iowa.

Morning-coffee gut reaction: Michigan's got Naz Hillon and Emily Kiser inside against Monika Czinano.
Iowa of course, counters with Clark at mid- and long-range. Can she get any help outside of her center, which is the standard question when Iowa plays top-rate teams. Stay tuned.
I noticed Iowa starters Gabbie Marshall & McKenna Warnock were out the last game against Wisconsin. If they remain out Sunday, Michigan will blow Iowa out even if Clark puts up 40.

Iowa could pull the upset if the 2 starters are back & they hit over 10 3’s. Michigan will most likely try to slow the game down like they did with MD.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, Iowa had just seven players available as of two days ago. So not optimistic about this one. Marshall and Warnock are Iowa's two best three point shooters by percentage, and Warnock is Iowa's leading rebounding not named Clark. Throw in the fact that our three of our back up posts are injured -- that means 15 less fouls to give trying to guard Michigan's lethal frontcourt.

Last year with essentially the same rosters on both sides, Iowa beat Michigan 89-67, shooting 16-27 from three.

Reaction Score
I noticed Iowa starters Gabbie Marshall & McKenna Warnock were out the last game against Wisconsin. If they remain out Sunday, Michigan will blow Iowa out even if Clark puts up 40.

Iowa could pull the upset if the 2 starters are back & they hit over 10 3’s. Michigan will most likely try to slow the game down like they did with MD.
It's unlikely that McKenna Warnock and Gabbie Marshall will be back for this game. They will probably only have 7 active players again. I predict Iowa loses by double digits.

Reaction Score

Michigan, to me, is emerging as a contender for the final 1-seed. When you consider that Louisville has to go through Notre Dame twice (plus likely NC State again) and Tennessee likely has to handle South Carolina twice, Michigan’s path looks a little bit clearer. I’d have called Indiana the favorite prior to losing Holmes.

The emergence of Kiser to complement Hillmon inside has made Michigan more dangerous. They’re streaky but strong defensively and with two reliable anchors (Brown and Naz).

Reaction Score

Iowa down 25 in 3rd; cuts it to 5. Clark with at least 25 in 4th quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom