Big Ten WBB | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Big Ten WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wonder if CC is regretting her decision :|
Why would she regret her decision? Last year she got to play in the Sweet 16. Her other finalist (ND) missed the tournament entirely. Iowa might be falling short of expectations this season, but at least they aren't missing the tournament.

Reaction Score
Why would she regret her decision? Last year she got to play in the Sweet 16. Her other finalist (ND) missed the tournament entirely. Iowa might be falling short of expectations this season, but at least they aren't missing the tournament.
Look at how good of a season her other finalist Iowa State is having though. Plus, she'd have help.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Look at how good of a season her other finalist Iowa State is having though. Plus, she'd have help.
And for that reason she has to regret her decision? Maybe she felt a stronger connection to the Iowa coaching staff and/or players. Maybe there were other things about the school or campus environment that she felt more drawn to. Just because her team isn't dominating doesn't mean she chose wrong.

This tendency on this board to speculate "I wonder if such-and-such regrets her choice of schools" is not attractive. Similar irresponsible speculation could just as easily be tossed out about some of UConn's players amid our struggles this season.

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Interesting that Ohio State could win the league even though they lost to Indiana (1x) and Michigan (2x) by ~20 and they only played seven games against the leagues top 6 teams (Indiana 1x, Michigan 2x, Maryland 2x, Iowa 1x, Nebraska 1x). Each of the other teams played 8 games against the top 6 minus Nebraska who only played 7, like Ohio State. Ohio State has the lowest SOS of the top 6 (86). Maryland plays the top 3 twice each. Iowa plays the top 2 twice and Ohio State only once.

I know it's just how things shake out but it is wild. One Big Ten Conference championship equals one year extension for McGuff's contract. Truly didn't see them even in this conversation this season. I stopped going to their games even.

Granted, this rambling may all be for naught because they could lose to Maryland. Not sure it would look so great f the team that wins the regular season also lost to one of the worst ACC schools.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Interesting that Ohio State could win the league even though they lost to Indiana (1x) and Michigan (2x) by ~20 and they only played seven games against the leagues top 6 teams (Indiana 1x, Michigan 2x, Maryland 2x, Iowa 1x, Nebraska 1x). Each of the other teams played 8 games against the top 6 minus Nebraska who only played 7, like Ohio State. Ohio State has the lowest SOS of the top 6 (86). Maryland plays the top 3 twice each. Iowa plays the top 2 twice and Ohio State only once.

I know it's just how things shake out but it is wild. One Big Ten Conference championship equals one year extension for McGuff's contract. Truly didn't see them even in this conversation this season. I stopped going to their games even.

Granted, this rambling may all be for naught because they could lose to Maryland. Not sure it would look so great f the team that wins the regular season also lost to one of the worst ACC schools.
In this era of oversized conferences and imbalanced schedules, this is a critical and often overlooked issue. Ohio State may very well "win" the regular season but I can guarantee the committee will be very aware that they had a much easier schedule than the other top teams in the Big Ten.

Even if they lose to Maryland in their next game, Ohio State could easily finish 3-1 in their last 4 games and take the regular season title.

Reaction Score
In this era of oversized conferences and imbalanced schedules, this is a critical and often overlooked issue. Ohio State may very well "win" the regular season but I can guarantee the committee will be very aware that they had a much easier schedule than the other top teams in the Big Ten.

Even if they lose to Maryland in their next game, Ohio State could easily finish 3-1 in their last 4 games and take the regular season title.
And don't forget the conference tournament. Tournament champs can often be considered better than the regular season champs.

Example: Last year, Tx A&M won the regular season SEC championship. SCar won the SEC tournament. SCar was a one seed, A&M was a two seed.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
good lord Iowa needs to move on from Bluder, her coaching is garbage. Do whatever it takes to get Jennie and bring her home!
Interesting stats from Iowa's and Indiana's games:

Iowa shot 41% from the field. Other than Clark, who took 25 of their 63 shots, they shot 50%.

Indiana shot 32% from the field. Other than Berger, who took 15 of 72 shots, they shot 25%.

Reaction Score
interesting, I did not know Iowa st was recruiting her. I just knew she decided on Iowa over ND. That team with Joens and Clark oh baby that woulda been a ntl title contender. It's unfortunate that did not happen. Caitlin's brother also an Iowa St alum

Reaction Score

Maybe Notre Dame players regret their decision because they picked a program accustomed to Final 4's and didn't make the tournament? I'm not being serious but just wanted to prove Plebe's point of how it is foolish to say this every time a team loses.

Reaction Score

interesting, I did not know Iowa st was recruiting her. I just knew she decided on Iowa over ND. That team with Joens and Clark oh baby that woulda been a ntl title contender. It's unfortunate that did not happen. Caitlin's brother also an Iowa St alum

Yes it could have been, but considering how caustic the Joens sisters' father is, not sure if this would have been a good fit for 4 years.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And don't forget the conference tournament. Tournament champs can often be considered better than the regular season champs.

Example: Last year, Tx A&M won the regular season SEC championship. SCar won the SEC tournament. SCar was a one seed, A&M was a two seed.
This is a totally separate topic.

The conference regular season accounts at most for just over half of a team's resume as of selection day. So obviously, even with a perfectly balanced conference schedule, Team A can finish behind Team B in the conference standings and still be judged higher by the committee on the basis of its total body of work.

Reaction Score
good lord Iowa needs to move on from Bluder, her coaching is garbage. Do whatever it takes to get Jennie and bring her home!
agree, but not gonna happen.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Love Naz as a college player but seeing her relatively contained by 6'3'' freshman Isaline Alexander does not bode well for her WNBA prospects IMO.

The biggest concern for me is her lack of range. She's essentially a 6-2 back to the basket bruising center without any proven jumpshot. Going up against athletic 6-5/6-6 centers every night in the W doesn't bode great for her IMO. She's definitely athletic enough but will need to expand her game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

All that aside, Kevin McGuff has done a pretty nice job of coaching this squad considering Dorka left and he’s achieving wins with a bunch of no names and a rejuvenated Taylor Mikesell. I have to tip my cap to him as in the 4 games I have watched them play and was rooting against him every time, the team played well and won. He has my respect (at least this year!).

As @TerpWomenFan stated, yesterday was the first time we saw the juggernaut Terp team from a year ago which had Ashley but no Angel and last night no Ashley but An Angel!

Reese was really good last night and honestly has been all year. She plays with a lot of passion that may grate on the other teams fans but man it Ayanna Patterson could be 80% of Angel, I would be ecstatic!

Reaction Score
All that aside, Kevin McGuff has done a pretty nice job of coaching this squad considering Dorka left and he’s achieving wins with a bunch of no names and a rejuvenated Taylor Mikesell. I have to tip my cap to him as in the 4 games I have watched them play and was rooting against him every time, the team played well and won. He has my respect (at least this year!).

As @TerpWomenFan stated, yesterday was the first time we saw the juggernaut Terp team from a year ago which had Ashley but no Angel and last night no Ashley but An Angel!

Reese was really good last night and honestly has been all year. She plays with a lot of passion that may grate on the other teams fans but man it Ayanna Patterson could be 80% of Angel, I would be ecstatic!
Even more impressively for Ohio State, they're not only doing this without Dorka but also Madison Greene, who led them in assists and was third in scoring last year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

He also lost forward Aaliyah Patty, when she transferred to Texas A&M, so he's essentially got last year's back-up center, Rebeka Mikulasikova, surrounded by four guards. Yes, he calls one a wing (Mikesell) but don't fool yourself. And Madison Greene, their optimal PG, is also out.

I watched this team on B1G network a bunch the last two years: initially by chance; this year because I've been impressed on how McGuff and his players are pulling this off. There's talent there that meshes:
  • Jacy Sheldon is scoring 20+ pts per game and she can stroke it. Plus she gets to the hoop with a sneaky acceleration.
  • Braxtin Miller, who came back from Oklahoma State, is a pretty sound guard who keeps her head and plays solid defense.
  • Rikki Harris always drives Caitlin Clark nuts on defense.

So, this is not the way one would want to build a team, but they're making a run of it. So far, so good. And entertaining, to boot. I'll be interested if McGuff can snag a forward in the offseason to join his post and gaggle of guards!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He also lost forward Aaliyah Patty, when she transferred to Texas A&M, so he's essentially got last year's back-up center, Rebeka Mikulasikova, surrounded by four guards. Yes, he calls one a wing (Mikesell) but don't fool yourself. And Madison Greene, their optimal PG, is also out.

I watched this team on B1G network a bunch the last two years: initially by chance; this year because I've been impressed on how McGuff and his players are pulling this off. There's talent there that meshes:
  • Jacy Sheldon is scoring 20+ pts per game and she can stroke it. Plus she gets to the hoop with a sneaky acceleration.
  • Braxtin Miller, who came back from Oklahoma State, is a pretty sound guard who keeps her head and plays solid defense.
  • Rikki Harris always drives Caitlin Clark nuts on defense.

So, this is not the way one would want to build a team, but they're making a run of it. So far, so good. And entertaining, to boot. I'll be interested if McGuff can snag a forward in the offseason to joing his post and gaggle of guards!
Rikki Harris drives everyone she guards nuts on defence. Her energy and commitment is awesome.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The biggest concern for me is her lack of range. She's essentially a 6-2 back to the basket bruising center without any proven jumpshot. Going up against athletic 6-5/6-6 centers every night in the W doesn't bode great for her IMO. She's definitely athletic enough but will need to expand her game.
I wonder if this also ties into the post above about Bluder. This part is speculation: I assume Hillmon wants to play in the W. So, either she has tried and failed to develop range beyond the foul line, or the coaching staff hasn't made it a priority.

Compare this with Mackenzie Holmes. Again this is speculation: I suspect she had a talk with Teri Moren at the end of last season and expressed a desire to play in the W. And Moren probably told her that if she was gonna have a shot at the W, she wouldn't be a center, she'd need to be a 4, better yet a stretch-4. And damned if she hasn't been a very effective three-point shooter this season. She hasn't shot a lot, but I think she's hitting over 40%.

Reaction Score
17 pts and shutdown Warnock, yea I'd say that was really good.
And there are games where she's struggled against good/average competition.

Michigan: 0 (12/31/21) and 2 (1/27/22)
Indiana: 7 (12/12/21)
Rutgers: 4 (1/23/22) and 4 (2/7/22)

She's averaging 10.5 points and 6.7 rebounds a game this season, which is why I say she's consistent.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
17 pts and shutdown Warnock, yea I'd say that was really good.
a. Mikulasikova was guarding the 5. Warnock plays the 4.
b. Warnock broke her hand in that game. So even if she were guarding her... well... yeah, that's one way to "shut someone down" I guess :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom