Big Ten WBB | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big Ten WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Indiana and Coach Teri are making some noise in WBB. They just manhandled Kentucky. Got an impressive win against a decent Butler team. Indiana sitting 4-0 and playing at a high clip. Love watching this team play.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Indiana and Coach Teri are making some noise in WBB. They just manhandled Kentucky. Got an impressive win against a decent Butler team. Indiana sitting 4-0 and playing at a high clip. Love watching this team play.
Totally agree. I saw that game. Patberg and Berger were running circles around KY . Non stop motion and very skillful drivers into the paint. I really enjoy most teams in the B10.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I'm an Indiana fan so I agree with the sentiment of your post, but "decent" is not a word I would use to describe Butler.

Reaction Score
Huge shout out to Coach Suzy Merchant. She was able to get her 500th career win Tuesday and 300th career win as Michigan States Coach just a few days later. Congrats, Coach!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ugh. The first cancellations due to COVID for a Big 10 Team that I'm aware of. Looks like the next game for Iowa will be their match up against Duke, December 2.

Reaction Score
Wisconsin stumbles against Chicago State. Wisconsin and Coach Marisa are now 1-3. Pretty rough game to watch. Wisconsin struggled with shooting and foul trouble and were down by 17 points at one point. Wisconsin got back into the game cut the lead down to 6 or 7 points. Took the lead for a moment and then it was a back and forth affair. Wisconsin got the game into OT but ran out of gas at the end. 30% from the field won't win you any games. Pretty sure Coach Marisa will have the girls getting more shots up over Thanksgiving Break. The goal is to get better each practice and each game. Hang in there Coach Marisa.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wisconsin stumbles against Chicago State. Wisconsin and Coach Marisa are now 1-3. Pretty rough game to watch. Wisconsin struggled with shooting and foul trouble and were down by 17 points at one point. Wisconsin got back into the game cut the lead down to 6 or 7 points. Took the lead for a moment and then it was a back and forth affair. Wisconsin got the game into OT but ran out of gas at the end. 30% from the field won't win you any games. Pretty sure Coach Marisa will have the girls getting more shots up over Thanksgiving Break. The goal is to get better each practice and each game. Hang in there Coach Marisa.
Nowhere to go but up for Marisa.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
"Stumbles" may be among the nicest verbs you can use to describe a loss to Chicago State.
Wisconsin also lost by double digits to NJIT, who along with Chicago State was among the bottom 10-15 teams in all of Division I last season.

Snaps Chicago State's streak of 27 consecutive losses, and it's the first win by Chicago State over a Big Ten team since a 2008 win over Northwestern.

FWIW I watched the end of this game, and I think Chicago State is showing signs of improvement. Doesn't mean Wisconsin should've lost to them, but I think CSU might win a few more games this season.

Reaction Score
So if Wisconsin stumbles against Chicago State, what are people's thoughts on Michigan State losing to Fordham and St. Francis Brooklyn by a total of 5 points between both games?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So if Wisconsin stumbles against Chicago State, what are people's thoughts on Michigan State losing to Fordham and St. Francis Brooklyn by a total of 5 points between both games?
Fordham is a decent team, but not St Francis Brooklyn. It's a terrible loss. Not quite as awful as losing at home to Chicago State, but then again Michigan State wasn't supposed to be in as bad a shape as Wisconsin

Reaction Score

Fordham is decent but Michigan State should have won that one and that St. Francis game. Just a lack of focus by Michigan State. No way they should have lost those two games. Wisconsin is a young team and Coach Marisa, like Shea over at Vandy, has her hands full. A lot of teaching for those two awesome coaches.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ooph that is awful. I just looked and they finished 341 out of 343 for NET rankings last year. They also lost to NJIT who was #285 last year. Their lone win is over St. Thomas who is in their first year of D1. It's kind of remarkable how bad Wisconsin has become considering the amount of local in state talent and how successful almost all of their other athletic programs have been. Women's basketball has been a glaring black hole the past decade and even when they were at their peak (mid-late 90s/early 00s), the program was never very strong.

Reaction Score
Ooph that is awful. I just looked and they finished 341 out of 343 for NET rankings last year. They also lost to NJIT who was #285 last year. Their lone win is over St. Thomas who is in their first year of D1. It's kind of remarkable how bad Wisconsin has become considering the amount of local in state talent and how successful almost all of their other athletic programs have been. Women's basketball has been a glaring black hole the past decade and even when they were at their peak (mid-late 90s/early 00s), the program was never very strong.

Yup. Coach Marisa has her work cut out for her with that program. Heck Wisconsin-Green Bay (Phoenix) would give the Badgers a pretty good run for their money and that program does not get super star talent. They recruit and develop those players at Green Bay and them jokers are not afraid of anyone! I have been watching that Green Bay program since 2007-08 range even went to some of their coaching clinics over the years, especially when they had Matt Bollant as their coach. Trying to figure out how they were winning with the type of talent they had. Not McDonald All-American talent. Not getting that 4 & 5 Star talent. They were just getting and developing the talent they had. Hopefully Marisa can do the same thing.

Reaction Score
Watched Wisconsin vs Milwaukee last night. Huge shout out to ESPN+ for showing this game. Wisconsin and Coach Marisa got some pieces to build on. They kept it close for 2 quarters. Milwaukee went off in the 3rd quarter and Wisconsin never recovered.

Reaction Score
Some interesting scores from yesterday in the Big 10. Just read the box score for the Northwestern-Pittsburgh game. Wow.

Pittsburgh had the better field goal percentage and have the advantage in rebounding (54-30). They lost in the turnover category 26-13. I'm surprised Northwestern wasn't able to capitalize on that many turnovers.

Reaction Score
Wisconsin got a win yesterday over Boise State. Up next for coach Marisa and her Wisconsin squad is the Colorado program. 6-0 Colorado. Tough match up today for Wisconsin but a chance to see more improvement.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wisconsin got a win yesterday over Boise State. Up next for coach Marisa and her Wisconsin squad is the Colorado program. 6-0 Colorado. Tough match up today for Wisconsin but a chance to see more improvement.
They have to watch out for Colorado's soul crushing defense.

Reaction Score
Are you old enough to remember SCar leaving the ACC?

My comments about the Tobacco Road Cabal (especially UNC) would not be permitted on a family website either.

While the Tobacco Road Cabal (joined by UVA) doesn't hold a majority anymore, it is still a powerful voting bloc. Swofford treated Clemson and FSU like outsiders for decades. (I laughed)
My 61st season of golf is apparently over, so today I dug around a bit and am perusing General Women's Basketball for the first time. I had no clue what I've been missing. I'm a Connecticut Yankee who attended Wake Forest and loves much about the ACC's sports history, especially basketball and golf (although my Deacs will also be playing for a football title vs. Pitt this weekend), and oddly an Iowa fan since I was a little kid when the Hawkeyes won Rose Bowls in '57 and '59... who can figure?

Thus, I've been thoroughly entertained by this long and winding thread about Big Ten women's basketball and references to the ACC. Pretty much, it's sports, I love it all and that I have the chance to read thoughts from so many of you from around the country (and the world) with allegiances to many schools and teams.

Visitingcock, I well remember when SC left the ACC, since I'd been at Wake just a few years earlier. I could be offended by your reference to the Tobacco Road Cabal, but I might as well dig my head into the ground. You speak with wisdom about where the power lay, at times to the detriment of the conference.

I am curious about Swofford treating Clemson as an outsider... I trust you've read more about it all than I have, but Clemson joined the league as one of seven founding members at its outset in '53, the same time as UNC, and pretty much when when Swofford was a toddler. It's sad albeit not shocking he took that approach.

To this day, I struggle some warming to Florida State, Georgia Tech and MIami in the league, as I do Notre Dame (non-football, of course), Pitt and BC. Chalk me up as pretty much a college sports dinosaur.

Circling around to UConn... like many of you veteran BYers, I got into the women's program in the early '90s. However, I'd been a Huskies men's basketball fan from the early '60s on and remember as a teen many a night listening with my Dad as Kimball, Bialosuknia, Holowaty & Co. beat up on Yankee Conference rivals in such exotic places as Orono, Durham and Burlington. I wonder how many of you out there recall those UConn men's teams.

A final thought, here's hoping the Iowa women's team is back to full health, or will be very soon, without any long-term Covid casualties.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Visitingcock, I well remember when SC left the ACC, since I'd been at Wake just a few years earlier. I could be offended by your reference to the Tobacco Road Cabal, but I might as well dig my head into the ground. You speak with wisdom about where the power lay, at times to the detriment of the conference.

I am curious about Swofford treating Clemson as an outsider... I trust you've read more about it all than I have, but Clemson joined the league as one of seven founding members at its outset in '53, the same time as UNC, and pretty much when when Swofford was a toddler. It's sad albeit not shocking he took that approach.

To this day, I struggle some warming to Florida State, Georgia Tech and MIami in the league, as I do Notre Dame (non-football, of course), Pitt and BC. Chalk me up as pretty much a college sports dinosaur.

Georgia Tech joined the ACC in 1978 (1979?) .... so they have been apart of the league since I started watching college sports back in elementary school. Florida State has been a member for 30 years... over half of my life.. So they are ACC for me. Although VPI didn't join until 2004... they seem like a long time member to me. The others... well I've warmed to Miami.... less so BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech joined the ACC in 1978 (1979?) .... so they have been apart of the league since I started watching college sports back in elementary school. Florida State has been a member for 30 years... over half of my life.. So they are ACC for me. Although VPI didn't join until 2004... they seem like a long time member to me. The others... well I've warmed to Miami.... less so BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville.
Makes sense. I've got you by nearly 20 years in chronology or, perhaps better stated, you've got me by that gap... LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom