Big Ten WBB | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big Ten WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Georgia Tech joined the ACC in 1978 (1979?) .... so they have been apart of the league since I started watching college sports back in elementary school. Florida State has been a member for 30 years... over half of my life.. So they are ACC for me. Although VPI didn't join until 2004... they seem like a long time member to me. The others... well I've warmed to Miami.... less so BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville.

Tech earliest memories are Bobby Cremins and triple threat the Final Four to me. Maybe a little Mark Price. ACC for sure.

I remember Metro battles with FSU and Bobby Sura and Doug Edwards and company stunning much of the ACC in their first turn through the league. So that still feels a little unnatural.

I default to Maryland being ACC still.

Reaction Score
The Terps have been away from the ACC for awhile now. The luster of being in the ACC is gone for Terp fans.

Maryland seems like such an awkward fit in the Big 10. Money obviously is good.

It's taken me 30 years to acknowledge SC's fit in the SEC and I feel like that makes more geographical sense.

We've been in the SEC far longer now than we were in the ACC (and I wasn't alive to see ACC conference games) but I still have days where the fit in a classic ACC seems better. We Thank dear sweet baby Bobby Bowden for bailing SC out of the wilderness.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Planned on stopping by Cookout on the way home and getting Crispy Spicy Chicken Sandwich and some Chicken nuggets to celebrate the victory over the Hawkeyes... but they were out of both items. Had to settle for a Grilled Hawkeye Sandwich instead :cool:

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech joined the ACC in 1978 (1979?) .... so they have been apart of the league since I started watching college sports back in elementary school. Florida State has been a member for 30 years... over half of my life.. So they are ACC for me. Although VPI didn't join until 2004... they seem like a long time member to me. The others... well I've warmed to Miami.... less so BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville.
Then you can’t understand why we older Gamecocks detest UNC even more than we do Clempsun.

Reaction Score
Very rough week for the Big 10. Only went 4-10 in the challenge with the Terps, Purdue, Nebraska and Northwestern winning.

Reaction Score
Very rough week for the Big 10. Only went 4-10 in the challenge with the Terps, Purdue, Nebraska and Northwestern winning.
It was and it needs to be noted that both Purdue and Maryland had to battle until the end to get their wins.

Reaction Score
It was and it needs to be noted that both Purdue and Maryland had to battle until the end to get their wins.
Yep. Tied at 72 with under two to play. Reese who had the monster game made the and one but missed the free throw. Masonius with the play of the game with an offensive rebound and pass to Benzan for the three and a five point lead. Miami played really well but the Terps miss Diamond Miller more than they can imagine.

Reaction Score
Below is history of this season's Bracketology by Creme (google sheet), teams ranked as per the recently released NET Rankings (thread).

1638837426862.png

Reaction Score
Wonder why Powell is not playing tonight against Nebraska?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Wonder why Powell is not playing tonight against Nebraska?
I wasn't listening carefully, but something was said by the fellow in the BTN center when doing a promo during a break in the first game. We are currently watching MNF on tape.

Reaction Score
Minnesota gave Nebraska a pretty darn good run. Minnesota played well.

Indiana just jumped all over Penn State! Wow!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To me, despite a rough start to the season either due to injuries or Covid, Maryland, Iowa and Indiana are clearly a cut above the rest. Michigan, Ohio State, Mich State, Purdue and Nebraska all have weaknesses that need to be shorn up (not sure if that’s possible in some cases). While the Big 10 was great for teams 1-8 last year, this year that depth is highly suspect and is demonstrated by their poor OOC record that they have shown thus far when compared to the other. 4 P5 conferences. The anticipated strength simply has dissipated. The SEC seems like the top dog at the moment.

Reaction Score
To me, despite a rough start to the season either due to injuries or Covid, Maryland, Iowa and Indiana are clearly a cut above the rest. Michigan, Ohio State, Mich State, Purdue and Nebraska all have weaknesses that need to be shorn up (not sure if that’s possible in some cases). While the Big 10 was great for teams 1-8 last year, this year that depth is highly suspect and is demonstrated by their poor OOC record that they have shown thus far when compared to the other. 4 P5 conferences. The anticipated strength simply has dissipated. The SEC seems like the top dog at the moment.

Michigan and Michigan State have also experienced injuries that I believe further exposed their weaknesses. Michigan losing Dilk at the start of the season exposed their weakness at the guard position. Their freshman Phelia (sic?) may help address this. Time will tell.

Michigan State's issues are much larger. Losing both Ozment and Aryault for the season impacted their rotation. Both Ekh and Hagemann have done a decent job playing major minutes as freshman, but they don't replace what Ozment and Aryault brought to the team. Their inside/post presence also has me perplexed. They rely on Smith and Parks who have their moments, but neither of them can be seen as their go to at that position, like Czinano of Iowa.

I have to catch up on Ohio State, Purdue and Nebraska games. Purdue seems to be more competitive compared to last season just from what I've seen with their scores.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well then, another blow to Michigan State's roster depth. Winston is in the portal as of this week.

Steve Harvey Lol GIF by NBC

Yup....2nd leading scorer. Started all the games....left in mid-season.

Outside of the caption: unless there's a big-time personal reason, my jaw is still on the floor.

Reaction Score
Michigan just wrecked Ohio State (90-71). Naz Hillmon is a just a joy to watch in the post. Great footwork and a natural gift for rebounding, especially on the offensive end. Wow!

Reaction Score
I’d argue that Michigan deserves to be in the top tier of contenders at the moment given what they’ve done so far this season. They avenged a loss to Baylor, shellacked Ohio State, and managed to escape IUPUI. I’d say that the top three at the moment are Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan in that order. Iowa hasn’t really gelled this season, and it’s been weird to try and figure out why. I’d say that Iowa is in its own tier at #4, followed by the mess that is next. Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern, and grudgingly Ohio State are probably a part of the mess that will be the middle. We’ll learn more about these teams in the coming weeks!

Reaction Score
I’d argue that Michigan deserves to be in the top tier of contenders at the moment given what they’ve done so far this season. They avenged a loss to Baylor, shellacked Ohio State, and managed to escape IUPUI. I’d say that the top three at the moment are Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan in that order. Iowa hasn’t really gelled this season, and it’s been weird to try and figure out why. I’d say that Iowa is in its own tier at #4, followed by the mess that is next. Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern, and grudgingly Ohio State are probably a part of the mess that will be the middle. We’ll learn more about these teams in the coming weeks!
Maryland @ Indiana tomorrow. Indiana surprisingly has never defeated the Terps. Diamond Miller is back so that's a huge plus for the Terps. Key for the Terps is keeping Reese out of foul trouble. Will Owusu get her shot back?

Reaction Score
Big game tomorrow between Indiana and Maryland and then Tuesday between Michigan and Nebraska. Really see who starts to pull away from the pack a little.

Reaction Score
Is that a surprise?
IN has not been good prior to the last few years.
Nebraska, Indiana, Wisconsin and Illinois are the only Big 10 teams who have not defeated the Terps.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score

In a game added last minute, Iowa beat Evansville 93-56. Iowa led by 20+ in the first half, but Evansville went on a 10-0 run to close out the 2Q. Iowa has had some absolutely brutally cold stretches at times (see the end of the IUPUI game, the end of the ISU game, the entire Duke game lmao). So it was nice to see them pour on the gas and pull away in the 2nd half. Considering that Evansville is not very good, was missing their starting PG, and was fatigued after just playing a game yesterday, it doesn't mean much. But for Iowa, any game at this pointtw is better than nothing considering the cancellations we've had.

Due to COVID protocols, Iowa was without it's starting frontcourt of Warnock and Czinano. So freshman post Addy O'Grady had a career high in minutes, pointes, and rebounds, finishing with 14 and 12. 6'4'' O'Grady played the 4 on the same high school team as Lauren Betts, who obviously played the 5.

Clark had a career high 44 points on just 26 shots in just 30 minutes. This was an arena record and also made her the fastest Big Ten player to reach 1000 points in her career, edging Kelsey Mitchell by one game (see tweet). She also had 5 boards, 8 assists, 2 steals, and best of all only 1 turnover today. Tbh these stats say more about Evansville's defense than anything, but it was great to see Clark make some of the shots again that Iowa fans started taking for granted last season.

Iowa shot only 30% as a team from 3. We've gone from being the best 3-point shooting team in the conference to the worst, but Bluder seems to have faith that the shots will start falling eventually as every guard still seems to have the green light when open. Time will tell if this is a good plan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom