Big 12 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Reaction Score
Of course it is. Most fans don't know about it. But they had Pickett in the first round two years ago. They aren't Alabama or Ohio State, but they aren't a garbage football program either. P5 is absolutely treated differently. To get in you can't just be as good as the lower half of P5 programs, you need to be better than them year after year.
I don’t think fans remember when they were good, that’s what I meant. A lot of small schools send guys into the NFL in the top rounds. I don’t think it’s really remembered unless it’s done consistently

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is possible that Mora was not sincere when he claimed he was a) not actively looking into returning to coaching but did like the idea of coaching again and b) wanted to find a place where he would be happy spending a number of years and eventually retiring, but at the moment I don't think he'll leave abruptly just for a few dollars a a place with more football history.

I do believe however that we would be foolish to believe he'll remain here no matter what just because he claimed that was his intent when he was hired.

As the program improves, everything else has to also improve. I have quite a bit of confidence in DB supporting the program as best he can but I still have my doubts about the trustees (and the politicians who can have a say in how well the school is funded).

I also have some concerns about the fan base and at some point I will take a few boneyarders to task about not putting in a sufficient effort to attend a stray game. One who grew up in Springdale and can make a stray visit to the area in the fall, plan on a game within the time that he is visiting friends and family comes to mind.

One who lives closer to Rutgers than East Hartford but should be capable of making one trek each fall also comes to mind. I know of quite a few others and, once we start winning on a regular basis I will begin calling them out by name.

If there is sufficient fan support and institutional support I doubt we'll need to worry about losing Mora and if we do, with the fan and institutional support in place he would be replaceable.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be prudent to check UConn's history of performance against each of the B12's teams before offering an opinion like that?
It is not a long history but we've knocked of Baylor twice when they had their best QB ever and we knocked off Iowa St in a year that they began the season ranked in the top ten and arguably the best QB they've ever had was a senior.

Reaction Score
I still think UConn to The Big 12 is the best value play remaining on the board for any conference. JMO but UConn delivers more value to The Big 12 than they do to The ACC. You're a relatively easy add with minimal conference baggage. There are still potentially valuable adds to pair with you in The AAC, MW, or PAC4.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be prudent to check UConn's history of performance against each of the B12's teams before offering an opinion like that?
No, that would be incredibly stupid.

Reaction Score
Your first paragraph is totally insane.
I have to agree. Seems like a convoluted way of saying BB doesn't matter, and tortured logic saying one team's five championships in 25 yrs are seen as flukes while another team's first final four bid is seen as having more perceived value.

Reaction Score
It is not a long history but we've knocked of Baylor twice when they had their best QB ever and we knocked off Iowa St in a year that they began the season ranked in the top ten and arguably the best QB they've ever had was a senior.
Yeah, that's called cherry-picking. In other news, here are UConn's all-time records against the B12's newbies: 0-2 vs. BYU, 3-13 vs. Cincinnati, 1-3 vs. Houston, and 2-6 vs. UCF.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It is possible that Mora was not sincere when he claimed he was a) not actively looking into returning to coaching but did like the idea of coaching again and b) wanted to find a place where he would be happy spending a number of years and eventually retiring, but at the moment I don't think he'll leave abruptly just for a few dollars a a place with more football history.

I do believe however that we would be foolish to believe he'll remain here no matter what just because he claimed that was his intent when he was hired.

As the program improves, everything else has to also improve. I have quite a bit of confidence in DB supporting the program as best he can but I still have my doubts about the trustees (and the politicians who can have a say in how well the school is funded).

I also have some concerns about the fan base and at some point I will take a few boneyarders to task about not putting in a sufficient effort to attend a stray game. One who grew up in Springdale and can make a stray visit to the area in the fall, plan on a game within the time that he is visiting friends and family comes to mind.

One who lives closer to Rutgers than East Hartford but should be capable of making one trek each fall also comes to mind. I know of quite a few others and, once we start winning on a regular basis I will begin calling them out by name.

If there is sufficient fan support and institutional support I doubt we'll need to worry about losing Mora and if we do, with the fan and institutional support in place he would be replaceable.
Ooo, I've been called out!

I typically only get up there once a year. Last year I was there for a June wedding. The year before was for a mid-August UConn Stamford Branch reunion (I suppose I should tell them to move it to a later weekend following a Thursday night game?)

This year I'd already suggested two trips with my wife. First one was on the way to Acadia that would make a stop in Storrs. She balked at too much time in the car, even though she often says she wants to go to Acadia with our dog. Second was trying to make something work around the Travers and popping up to Montreal. That also got shot down. And she's open to going to the Rent, just not those trips. She's a Pitt season ticket holder, so she's got four figures invested in attending those games, which makes it challenging.

I have been to a couple of games, but last one was awhile ago. We got stomped by Cuse. I had the pleasure of being invited to Coach Cap's tailgate, courtesy of Waquoit. I will attend again, I just don't know when. But wife and I are already planning on attending the next UConn game at West Point, as well as the OSU game in Columbus.

Maybe I'll get a Thanksgiving invite to my brother's and see you at the UMass game...

Reaction Score

I typically only get up there once a year. Last year I was there for a June wedding. The year before was for a mid-August UConn Stamford Branch reunion (I suppose I should tell them to move it to a later weekend following a Thursday night game?)

This year I'd already suggested two trips with my wife. First one was on the way to Acadia that would make a stop in Storrs. She balked at too much time in the car, even though she often says she wants to go to Acadia with our dog. Second was trying to make something work around the Travers and popping up to Montreal. That also got shot down. And she's open to going to the Rent, just not those trips. She's a Pitt season ticket holder, so she's got four figures invested in attending those games, which makes it challenging.

I have been to a couple of games, but last one was awhile ago. We got stomped by Cuse. I had the pleasure of being invited to Coach Cap's tailgate, courtesy of Waquoit. I will attend again, I just don't know when. But wife and I are already planning on attending the next UConn game at West Point, as well as the OSU game in Columbus.

Maybe I'll get a Thanksgiving invite to my brother's and see you at the UMass game...
On your way to Acadia can you stop at Cooper Flagg’s house and drop off a fruit basket.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's called cherry-picking. In other news, here are UConn's all-time records against the B12's newbies: 0-2 vs. BYU, 3-13 vs. Cincinnati, 1-3 vs. Houston, and 2-6 vs. UCF.
Lol, calls out cherry picking and then cherry picks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Let's remember that one win over Houston was a totally meaningless game.

Reaction Score
Lol, calls out cherry picking and then cherry picks.
OK, I'll go further. I specifically mentioned only the new schools, the ones at the bottom of the pecking order. I expect they won't fare very well in the B12 until they've acclimated. Until then, the eight holdovers should do much better. When discussing football, nobody from UConn should be dissing any of the B12 schools -- old or new.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm very confident that the schools that you mentioned haven't played one football game as a member of the B-12 yet.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Prior to your outing yourself I'm not sure many on here would have known that you were one of the people I was referring to.

You do however have an open invitation to any home game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
OK, I'll go further. I specifically mentioned only the new schools, the ones at the bottom of the pecking order. I expect they won't fare very well in the B12 until they've acclimated. Until then, the eight holdovers should do much better. When discussing football, nobody from UConn should be dissing any of the B12 schools -- old or new.
I'll go further. I'm not particularly worried about it first, because it's a theoretical exercise and entirely doesn't matter, but also because teams like 1- 11 Colorado aren't particularly intimidating. That record you broke out was generated why we were absolutely in the coaching desert. I have every confidence in Jim Mora, particularly if Jim Mora is coaching a P4 team, which we would be if you were hypothetical came to pass.

If you can fans being confident in their teams potential is so upsetting to you, maybe you're on the wrong website. Perhaps it's something to think about.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
No you didn't.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Here's proof

Reaction Score
How hard would it be to get rid of that?
To get rid of Title IX? Well, the literal answer is that congress would have to pass a law to get rid of it. But is that the option, really? I dont begrudge anyone from making a buck, but these schools and the NCAA are out of freaking control. Title IX gives access to folks who previously had none. That aint a bad thing.

Reaction Score
The marketability of the tournament is almost entirely based on the fact that a cinderella story can come out of nowhere and win a game or two (or more).
Agree, 15 seed BC over 2 seed Kansas as a 1st round upset just doesn't have the same appeal as 15 seed Lehigh over 2 seed Duke though I suppose the former is still just as shocking. Part of the fun of the tournament is tuning and looking at...wait, who the hell is Oral Roberts? over Ohio state? kind of moments. I don't think as many ppl will care when 14 seed Rutgers beats 3 seed Zona, just won't have the same luster to the casuals or even anyone outside the handful of Scarelt Knight fans. Like oh wow, Pitt (finally) made a run to the final 4 in a tourney totally comprised of the b10, acc, b12 and sec, WHO cares. Can't market that like you did butler, Gmason, FAU, or vcus run even if the former is almost as shocking, if not just as. Just isn't the same under dog anymore.

Reaction Score

Baylor did go 4-8 in both years they lost to the Huskies and Iowa State was somewhat better at 7-7.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom