Big 12 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Reaction Score
OK. Let's try it this way: more value than us. And remember, value equals what someone is willing to pay for you. Not how many wins your athletic department has. The market has repeatedly said we don't have as much value as we think we have.

Where are you getting the value of basketball skyrocketing? Because Yormark said he thinks basketball is undervalued? We are clinging to that quote. Newsflash, he was playing us for the teams he really wanted. Notice how he never actually quantified how much it was worth? He is such a good salesman. He got everyone drooling and played to our confirmation bias.

Look, I am a huge UConn fan - football and basketball season ticket holder. I have not given up hope. And I do believe there is way more change coming and my gut is we will land on our feet somewhere somehow. But this is where we are today.
I think value also includes an opportunity cost. In this case, UConn might have a higher value on the open market. But with Fox, the value is $4M.

That’s part of the price we paid in moving back to BE. Being property of Fox and asking them to pay $25M more for same product plus football doesn’t work.

Not exactly sure why ESPN and ACC won’t act but I think that’s FOX’s position

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There's not much room on the football schedule for multiple B12 games until 2027.

Over the next six years, UConn has a dozen games scheduled with the ACC, five with the B1G, three with the SEC, but zero with B12. I wonder why that happened.
My guess is that it isn't what you're suggesting and instead reflects that the ACC schools know who we are so do B1G schools. The B1G specifically allows UConn games to count towards their P5 scheduling requirement. I don't know if the ACC and SEC do, but if so, that would explain it.

Reaction Score
There's not much room on the football schedule for multiple B12 games until 2027.

Over the next six years, UConn has a dozen games scheduled with the ACC, five with the B1G, three with the SEC, but zero with B12. I wonder why that happened.

Interestingly a marquee basketball event vs a "magnificent" ACC program has just been announced with the Jimmy V Classic at MSG. There's obvious respect for the program here even if football is the main driver.

Reaction Score
I think value also includes an opportunity cost. In this case, UConn might have a higher value on the open market. But with Fox, the value is $4M.

That’s part of the price we paid in moving back to BE. Being property of Fox and asking them to pay $25M more for same product plus football doesn’t work.

Not exactly sure why ESPN and ACC won’t act but I think that’s FOX’s position

Good point in terms of FOX's influence. The move back to the BE and go with football as an indy was also done to end the purgatory of the AAC, followed by increased revenue from alumni donations and definitely definitely at the gate too. Merchandising is part of the equation as well. So even though the TV revenue is small, they did increase their coffers through other sources by making the move.

Reaction Score
Read all the comments from all the fans and media during all of this process and you will see it is the view held by most people. Haven't you seen last year's NC called "Lucky" despite our clear dominance? Certainly 2014 actually was lucky. 2011 is often treated the same way. The average fan probably thinks more of Gonzaga than UConn because they always get a high seed every year. Championships are not the measuring stick for realignment. Otherwise the B1G wouldn't be the most valuable conference.

UConn needs to get a #1-2 seed and go deep again this year. And the year after, and the year after that. We did that in the 00s, but not really since. On the football side, same thing. Bowl eligible, bowl eligible, bowl eligible...again and again. Winning some bowl games would help.
You're doubling down on crazy. This seems to be a you problem with Kansas having less basketball titles than UConn.

UConn basketball dominance has nothing to do with it. UConn football is looked at as terrible because UConn football has been terrible for a decade.

Reaction Score
You're doubling down on crazy. This seems to be a you problem with Kansas having less basketball titles than UConn.

UConn basketball dominance has nothing to do with it. UConn football is looked at as terrible because UConn football has been terrible for a decade.
UConn can get to middle of the pack in B 12. Will never win the conference. As bad as you think they are they did beat Fresno State last year who ended up 24 in the final AP poll.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

:rolleyes: It has nothing to do with Kansas' titles. Did you read the commentary about UConn being added to the Big XII? Yes they said our football was trash, but they also pointed to the 2016-2021 years in hoops and other bad stretches under JC. It's ridiculous, but it's a perception that is out there. We do tend to over-estimate the value of NCs vs consistency because we've won so many. Those who didn't win any definitely under-estimate titles, because they are hard to get. Very few schools have more than one.

Reaction Score
UConn can get to middle of the pack in B 12. Will never win the conference. As bad as you think they are they did beat Fresno State last year who ended up 24 in the final AP poll.
I have no doubt UConn would get good quickly if given the opportunity in the Big 12 and could win the conference down the road. I don't think much of Big 12 football.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
but they also pointed to the 2016-2021 years in hoops and other bad stretches under JC. It's ridiculous, but it's a perception that is out there. We do tend to over-estimate the value of NCs vs consistency because we've won so many.

"They" = the Kansas message board

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not a streak left. Can see right through it

You guys can go find my comments back a decade or more and they are consistent. Have nothing to do with KU. I feel the same way about the Red Sox, Pats etc. Championships matter less to me than always being in the playoffs. I hate missing the NCAA tournament more than anything.

But I'm not even talking about me. You know I want us in a P5, you don't, you wanted the Big East. Twitter, reddit, media, wherever you looked people were trying to downplay our accomplishments since 1999. Sour grapes? Envy? That was going strong during the discussions last week. It wasn't just football. Arizona was treated as an equivalent basketball program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who cares at that point, it would be the end of college sports.
Sure, for the schools on the outside looking in. For the schools on the inside, it's a new era of prosperity.

Reaction Score
People need to stop reading every tweet or comment that’s negative and then saying “this is how the rest of the country views us” or “we have a perception problem.”Sports fans are not rational. The internet is a negative place. Every school gets hated on by other fans. If we win the next 2 national titles in basketball as #1 seeds none of those comments are gonna change. Reality is what matters and the reality is we have elite basketball and have been awful at football. I’m excited about what mora did last year and what he’s going to do but one 6-7 season doesn’t make a dent in our overall body of work. Just like if big east was evaluating expansion candidates we would not want a school that’s been awful for a decade but made the NIT last year

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not questioning these numbers but I'm curious how you got them. Private schools seldom publish information like this.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have no doubt UConn would get good quickly if given the opportunity in the Big 12 and could win the conference down the road. I don't think much of Big 12 football.
I have no doubt that with our current leadership we could compete for football titles in any conference if we were a member.

Among the difficulties we faced in the most current round of expansion is that there is no reason for anyone believe that is the case. The narrative when we left the AAC was that we were abandoning football. The reality was we did it to help avoid a financial blood bath but no other school had tier three product that could generate revenue so they couldn't understand the financial burden we would have faced by giving up our tier three rights.

We had a horrific product (and gave up a season) during all but our most current season after leaving the AAC. It is easy for outsiders to believe that 2022 was a fluke and until we play more games, we cannot demonstrate that it wasn't.

For the time being we have to do the only thing we can do, continue to improve the football program and say to the rest of the intercollegiate sporting world "like us, hate us, it doesn't matter and truth be told we don't give a $#!&. We'll win just to make you angry.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
:rolleyes: It has nothing to do with Kansas' titles. Did you read the commentary about UConn being added to the Big XII? Yes they said our football was trash, but they also pointed to the 2016-2021 years in hoops and other bad stretches under JC. It's ridiculous, but it's a perception that is out there. We do tend to over-estimate the value of NCs vs consistency because we've won so many. Those who didn't win any definitely under-estimate titles, because they are hard to get. Very few schools have more than one.
People point out our "inconsistency" as if Kentucky and UNC don't have down years. They really do

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that with our current leadership we could compete for football titles in any conference if we were a member.

Among the difficulties we faced in the most current round of expansion is that there is no reason for anyone believe that is the case. The narrative when we left the AAC was that we were abandoning football. The reality was we did it to help avoid a financial blood bath but no other school had tier three product that could generate revenue so they couldn't understand the financial burden we would have faced by giving up our tier three rights.

We had a horrific product (and gave up a season) during all but our most current season after leaving the AAC. It is easy for outsiders to believe that 2022 was a fluke and until we play more games, we cannot demonstrate that it wasn't.

For the time being we have to do the only thing we can do, continue to improve the football program and say to the rest of the intercollegiate sporting world "like us, hate us, it doesn't matter and truth be told we don't give a $#!&. We'll win just to make you angry.
I hope to hell your last para is what AD David Benedict is thinking. I'm fearful that the irony in all this is that some P4 is gonna pick him off in next year or two. I also think that Mora is perhaps facing a bit more pressure than he figured on when he took this gig. Just praying the two of them see this thing through.

Reaction Score
If student athletes become employees that means Workers Comp would cover their sports injuries. Not just lifetime medical expenses but permanent and total disability. Football schools would go broke.

The conferences at the top are foaming at the mouth to vulture the PAC 12 and ACC because they must destroy their competition, yet are in lockstep Kumbaya when it comes to paying athletes (against it). The stench of potential labor law violations is through the roof.

As for students being termed athletes of the state or (if private) the school? IMO, it's not a question of if, but when.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I have to wonder - in 2031, will UCF, Cincy, and WVU be looking elsewhere? Their colleagues basically told them they don't matter

Reaction Score
OK. Let's try it this way: more value than us. And remember, value equals what someone is willing to pay for you. Not how many wins your athletic department has. The market has repeatedly said we don't have as much value as we think we have.

Where are you getting the value of basketball skyrocketing? Because Yormark said he thinks basketball is undervalued? We are clinging to that quote. Newsflash, he was playing us for the teams he really wanted. Notice how he never actually quantified how much it was worth? He is such a good salesman. He got everyone drooling and played to our confirmation bias.

Look, I am a huge UConn fan - football and basketball season ticket holder. I have not given up hope. And I do believe there is way more change coming and my gut is we will land on our feet somewhere somehow. But this is where we are today.
I already answered this once before. They ACC tried to add UConn twice. They saw the value

With conference consolidation and taking over the NCAAT, the tourney credits skyrocket. Rightly now they are only dispersing $300m a year to the conferences. Once they take over the tourney the credits will more than triple in value to $1.1B. That will raise the value of the best basketball schools. As for OSU and Wash U they were fathered in. Their brands are so small that their athletic budgets are much smaller than UConns. 70m and 80m

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be prudent to check UConn's history of performance against each of the B12's teams before offering an opinion like that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom