Big 12 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Oh, and the ACC is considering inviting Cal and Stanford? I mean, I guess the ACC would then stand for the Any Coast Conference.
I'll be interested to see if the ACC actually moves forward with that. I don't think it would behoove them to have any potential new members try to negotiate GOR terms.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see if the ACC actually moves forward with that. I don't think it would behoove them to have any potential new members try to negotiate GOR terms.
Cal would be a really plum addition......

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Isn’t all about winning national championships? I forget, how many national championships did BC and Pitt win while they were in the Big East?
1*

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Isn’t all about winning national championships? I forget, how many national championships did BC and Pitt win while they were in the Big East?
No. If this whole process hasn't made that clear, basketball championships are seen as flukes. What matters is regularly being in the mix for one. Alabama getting a #1 overall seed probably did more for them than our title did for us. North Carolina losing to Kansas helped validate Hubert Davis. Even in football, nobody downgraded Ohio State or Alabama because Georgia won.

BC has been riding the Doug Flutie magic forever, but also produced Matt Ryan and Hasselback. Pitt has Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino, Curtis Martin and has the 4th most NFL Hall of Famers of any school. The did win a NC in 1976. You can say all of that is "old news" but in college football especially it matters. Our lack of history is a giant boat anchor weighing us down.

Reaction Score
No. If this whole process hasn't made that clear, basketball championships are seen as flukes. What matters is regularly being in the mix for one. Alabama getting a #1 overall seed probably did more for them than our title did for us. North Carolina losing to Kansas helped validate Hubert Davis. Even in football, nobody downgraded Ohio State or Alabama because Georgia won.

BC has been riding the Doug Flutie magic forever, but also produced Matt Ryan and Hasselback. Pitt has Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino, Curtis Martin and has the 4th most NFL Hall of Famers of any school. The did win a NC in 1976. You can say all of that is "old news" but in college football especially it matters. Our lack of history is a giant boat anchor weighing us down.
yes, my friend. I agree with you. I was replying (sarcastically) to the comment that we don't want to end up like BC and Pitt.

I have been basically saying the same thing in all the 45+ re-alignment threads to all the folks who are scratching their heads about how much "value" we have compared other current P5 teams. We have almost zero history or tradition in football. We have a fickle northeast fanbase that only supports teams that are winning and have many other pro sports to follow when we are down. We have been historically bad for the majority of our FBS existence and our move back to the Big East and canceling 2020 was a sign to the world that we gave up on football. Mora has breathed some life into the program, but one 6-7 season isn't moving the needle all that much.

Our basketball didn't save us the first time around and it doesn't seem like it will this time. I don't get why people are shocked when teams already in the P5 have more perceived value and gets an invite over us. And I would not be shocked when OSU or WSU get in somewhere before us. We like to point out market, brand, other sports success, and national championships which we have and are proud of. But I can't believe people have not figured out that all of that matters much less in media $$ value when compared to football value.

Reaction Score
UConn basketball will always have the budget to compete at the highest level. Every other sport will see a reduced budget well before basketball. Basketball is self supporting with the revenue they bring in anyways
Who told you that?

That isn’t a curate. Very program, when you account for cost and transfer, runs a deficit, even the women’s team.

Reaction Score

Your first paragraph is totally insane.

Reaction Score

I think you're overestimating how long memories last. 1976 was a very long time ago.

In the memory of 95% of fans, many decades ago means nothing.

If anything, the P5 designation is the difficulty.

Younger fans are like, P5, P5, P5, they know nothing else. I see those tweets all the time.

Reaction Score
yes, my friend. I agree with you. I was replying (sarcastically) to the comment that we don't want to end up like BC and Pitt.

I have been basically saying the same thing in all the 45+ re-alignment threads to all the folks who are scratching their heads about how much "value" we have compared other current P5 teams. We have almost zero history or tradition in football. We have a fickle northeast fanbase that only supports teams that are winning and have many other pro sports to follow when we are down. We have been historically bad for the majority of our FBS existence and our move back to the Big East and canceling 2020 was a sign to the world that we gave up on football. Mora has breathed some life into the program, but one 6-7 season isn't moving the needle all that much.

Our basketball didn't save us the first time around and it doesn't seem like it will this time. I don't get why people are shocked when teams already in the P5 have more perceived value and gets an invite over us. And I would not be shocked when OSU or WSU get in somewhere before us. We like to point out market, brand, other sports success, and national championships which we have and are proud of. But I can't believe people have not figured out that all of that matters much less in media $$ value when compared to football value.
OSU and WSU and football value? BC and football value? What am I missing here.

This is what is strange about this conversation: the huge move to consolidated conferences is happening because of a perceived move to break with the NCAA. Once that happens, the value of basketball skyrockets in relation to football.

So we can't talk about one factor, the super conferences, without talking about the other, the increased importance of basketball.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Your first paragraph is totally insane.
Read all the comments from all the fans and media during all of this process and you will see it is the view held by most people. Haven't you seen last year's NC called "Lucky" despite our clear dominance? Certainly 2014 actually was lucky. 2011 is often treated the same way. The average fan probably thinks more of Gonzaga than UConn because they always get a high seed every year. Championships are not the measuring stick for realignment. Otherwise the B1G wouldn't be the most valuable conference.

UConn needs to get a #1-2 seed and go deep again this year. And the year after, and the year after that. We did that in the 00s, but not really since. On the football side, same thing. Bowl eligible, bowl eligible, bowl eligible...again and again. Winning some bowl games would help.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think you're overestimating how long memories last. 1976 was a very long time ago.

In the memory of 95% of fans, many decades ago means nothing.

If anything, the P5 designation is the difficulty.

Younger fans are like, P5, P5, P5, they know nothing else. I see those tweets all the time.
Of course it is. Most fans don't know about it. But they had Pickett in the first round two years ago. They aren't Alabama or Ohio State, but they aren't a garbage football program either. P5 is absolutely treated differently. To get in you can't just be as good as the lower half of P5 programs, you need to be better than them year after year.

Reaction Score
Read all the comments from all the fans and media during all of this process and you will see it is the view held by most people. Haven't you seen last year's NC called "Lucky" despite our clear dominance?

By fans, that’s called when you are good you have a lot of haters, that’s all.

Who in the media is calling last years title lucky or is saying it’s better to be a #1 seed and come up short?

Reaction Score
Wait until the courts rule that student athletes are employees of the college. Then you're going to see unionization, and in short order likely demands that include far less travel time away from their studies.

The super conferences that are coast to coast might start thinking about contraction, particularly if it doesn't affect their bottom line.

Oh, and the ACC is considering inviting Cal and Stanford? I mean, I guess the ACC would then stand for the Any Coast Conference.
If student athletes become employees that means Workers Comp would cover their sports injuries. Not just lifetime medical expenses but permanent and total disability. Football schools would go broke.

Reaction Score
I'm just looking for any glimmer of hope at this point. Deez Nuts are completely numb. Make no mistake, I don't want to hear anything about basketball only. I can't believe we read so much about UConn to the Big 12 but it's been silence since the most recent moves. This kid is interesting and I guess any UConn mention is good.

Reaction Score
Read all the comments from all the fans and media during all of this process and you will see it is the view held by most people. Haven't you seen last year's NC called "Lucky" despite our clear dominance? Certainly 2014 actually was lucky. 2011 is often treated the same way. The average fan probably thinks more of Gonzaga than UConn because they always get a high seed every year. Championships are not the measuring stick for realignment. Otherwise the B1G wouldn't be the most valuable conference.

Beating each team in the NCAA's premiere tournament by over 10 points in every game is hardly luck. We'll have to excuse the ignorance of supposed fans who don't matter in this calculus of realignment anyway.

In a one and done tournament, you do need some luck, but UConn has a moxie that other programs don't, and those envious "fans" know it.

Reaction Score
Who told you that?

That isn’t a curate. Very program, when you account for cost and transfer, runs a deficit, even the women’s team.
Is that true? Where are you getting those numbers? I get it with football due to the sheer number of individuals who need to be supported. But if we can’t make money in a championship year for basketball, either we have some very bad historical deals on the revenue side or the AD isn’t doing his job properly.

Reaction Score
OSU and WSU and football value? BC and football value? What am I missing here.
OK. Let's try it this way: more value than us. And remember, value equals what someone is willing to pay for you. Not how many wins your athletic department has. The market has repeatedly said we don't have as much value as we think we have.

This is what is strange about this conversation: the huge move to consolidated conferences is happening because of a perceived move to break with the NCAA. Once that happens, the value of basketball skyrockets in relation to football.

So we can't talk about one factor, the super conferences, without talking about the other, the increased importance of basketball.
Where are you getting the value of basketball skyrocketing? Because Yormark said he thinks basketball is undervalued? We are clinging to that quote. Newsflash, he was playing us for the teams he really wanted. Notice how he never actually quantified how much it was worth? He is such a good salesman. He got everyone drooling and played to our confirmation bias.

Look, I am a huge UConn fan - football and basketball season ticket holder. I have not given up hope. And I do believe there is way more change coming and my gut is we will land on our feet somewhere somehow. But this is where we are today.

Reaction Score
My worry about the NCAA Tournament is that the P4 (or whatever it is now) don't need to find a TV partner to pay the $1.1B that Turner pays right now. Conferences only get a small portion of that pie, like roughly ~30%. So around $330M split between all the conferences with tournament credits.

What happens if FOX and ESPN say hey wait a minute, we'll pay you guys $350M/year to broadcast our own tournament, with half the games on FOX and half on ESPN, and then a rotating Championship game like CBS/FOX/NBC do for the Super Bowl.

That is my biggest fear. Would the Big East be included in that? I think we will get our answer to that when the new CFP format comes out. If the P4 squeeze out the G5 conferences from getting auto-bids, we are in serious danger because that means the NCAA Tournament is likely where they turn their attention to next.
I’m not sure it would be that abrupt for bb.
What’s happening now is the non p5 bb schools are losing in the arms race. The ability to pay coaches and staff will be first noticeable shift which you’re seeing. Then it will be facilities longer term.

You can’t lock out Big East now because it’s arguably the 1 or 2 best BB leagues. But in 10 years when the gap is even bigger and if BE isn’t as competitive, the case will be made

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I could see Basketball only with a 3 year delay for Football.
There's not much room on the football schedule for multiple B12 games until 2027.

Over the next six years, UConn has a dozen games scheduled with the ACC, five with the B1G, three with the SEC, but zero with B12. I wonder why that happened.

Reaction Score

UConn needs to get a #1-2 seed and go deep again this year. And the year after, and the year after that. We did that in the 00s, but not really since. On the football side, same thing. Bowl eligible, bowl eligible, bowl eligible...again and again. Winning some bowl games would help.
I distinctly remember in UConn’s early football acension, the sports broadcaster mentioning ‘those Huskies’ and ‘yeah, they play football too’. I think that was 2007 or 2008.

Point is, 15 years later the needle hasn’t moved. If anything it went backwards. And us getting lumped in with Gonzaga doesn’t help.

Reaction Score
OK. Let's try it this way: more value than us. And remember, value equals what someone is willing to pay for you. Not how many wins your athletic department has. The market has repeatedly said we don't have as much value as we think we have.

Of course we do. There's no major league professional team here, so this market is also an opportunity for growth that other markets in the equation don't have the room for - they're already maxed out, have another significant university in the same general space, or have other professional teams. Wall Street is all about growth, so it's ridiculous that this factor isn't applied in terms of the potential UConn has vs other universities vying for P5 considering its space.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom