Big 12 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Reaction Score
Football, money or both is the reason many wanted us to go to the Big 12? Pretty happy with the competitiveness in the BE. Pretty happy with the recruiting success. Now that we weren't selected what is the financial impact for UCMBB?

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Other schools will continue to make a whole lot more money than we will. We should be fine in the short term but it's not great long-term. It's not as big of a deal for basketball, but football is essentially fighting for its existence at this point.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
UConn basketball will always have the budget to compete at the highest level. Every other sport will see a reduced budget well before basketball. Basketball is self supporting with the revenue they bring in anyways

This. There are a few concerns I've read that I'm not too worried about, although I can't say with 100% certainty that they won't happen.

First, people say they're concerned that these conferences will break off from the NCAA and have their own basketball tournament. That would be a terrible idea, since the #1 reason people watch the tournament is the opportunity of a cinderella story and, I'm sorry, but you're never going to sell America on the idea of Vanderbilt and their $70-100 annual TV revenue as the little guy. That being said, these TV executives and college presidents are so insulated from the public that I wouldn't be shocked if they did this, and if that's the case, there is absolutely value in making sure a school like UConn is included. So I expect there will be exceptions and that we will be one of them.

Second, people are saying that these schools are making so much money that they're all going to spend it on the top coaches and players and we won't be able to keep up. But it doesn't make sense to me. How can you say in one breath that basketball doesn't matter and that's why we're being left out of conference realignment (which is undoubtedly true -- look at the Big East media deal) and in another say that schools are going to pour tens of millions of dollars into their basketball program to try to win? If basketball doesn't matter, then it doesn't matter. I'm sure some schools will spend more money -- I mean, look at Alabama and Miami -- but it's not going to happen across the board. We've always recruited in the 25-75 range, anyway, and always been successful doing so. That's not going to change.

Reaction Score
This. There are a few concerns I've read that I'm not too worried about, although I can't say with 100% certainty that they won't happen.

First, people say they're concerned that these conferences will break off from the NCAA and have their own basketball tournament. That would be a terrible idea, since the #1 reason people watch the tournament is the opportunity of a cinderella story and, I'm sorry, but you're never going to sell America on the idea of Vanderbilt and their $70-100 annual TV revenue as the little guy. That being said, these TV executives and college presidents are so insulated from the public that I wouldn't be shocked if they did this, and if that's the case, there is absolutely value in making sure a school like UConn is included. So I expect there will be exceptions and that we will be one of them.

Second, people are saying that these schools are making so much money that they're all going to spend it on the top coaches and players and we won't be able to keep up. But it doesn't make sense to me. How can you say in one breath that basketball doesn't matter and that's why we're being left out of conference realignment (which is undoubtedly true -- look at the Big East media deal) and in another say that schools are going to pour tens of millions of dollars into their basketball program to try to win? If basketball doesn't matter, then it doesn't matter. I'm sure some schools will spend more money -- I mean, look at Alabama and Miami -- but it's not going to happen across the board. We've always recruited in the 25-75 range, anyway, and always been successful doing so. That's not going to change.
My worry about the NCAA Tournament is that the P4 (or whatever it is now) don't need to find a TV partner to pay the $1.1B that Turner pays right now. Conferences only get a small portion of that pie, like roughly ~30%. So around $330M split between all the conferences with tournament credits.

What happens if FOX and ESPN say hey wait a minute, we'll pay you guys $350M/year to broadcast our own tournament, with half the games on FOX and half on ESPN, and then a rotating Championship game like CBS/FOX/NBC do for the Super Bowl.

That is my biggest fear. Would the Big East be included in that? I think we will get our answer to that when the new CFP format comes out. If the P4 squeeze out the G5 conferences from getting auto-bids, we are in serious danger because that means the NCAA Tournament is likely where they turn their attention to next.

Reaction Score
My basketball-specific take here (i.e. keeping the commentary appropriate for this forum) is that winning the championship this year -- along with Villanova winning two in the last 8 years -- has helped make it narratively difficult for the P4 to break away and form their own tournament.

Who's going to respect the winner of the P4 tournament as the "national champion" when 3 of the last 7 champions aren't allowed to compete?

Reaction Score
Men's and women's basketball will always be fine. Will football or the women's sports that exist for football Title IX be fine in a decade? Probably not.

Reaction Score
Uconn will need a bigger payday in the longterm regardless. The future of college sports will be in the hands of the mega conferences.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Push for the Big 10 or SEC. Don’t give up

Reaction Score
I guess my question was does anyone know what the basketball program would get BE now vs Big 12 now in actual dollars?

Reaction Score
UConn basketball will always have the budget to compete at the highest level. Every other sport will see a reduced budget well before basketball. Basketball is self supporting with the revenue they bring in anyways
This is simply not true. The best players are going to go where the money is, and that will be to the power conferences. Those teams will be able to offer more NIL money, better facilities, they will be on tv more. It will be a gradual decline for the non Power conference schools, but it will happen.

Reaction Score
My basketball-specific take here (i.e. keeping the commentary appropriate for this forum) is that winning the championship this year -- along with Villanova winning two in the last 8 years -- has helped make it narratively difficult for the P4 to break away and form their own tournament.

Who's going to respect the winner of the P4 tournament as the "national champion" when 3 of the last 7 champions aren't allowed to compete?
Also, I do feel the politicians might fight for the BE & the little guys because they are in DC, kinda like they wanted a ML baseball team in DC?

Reaction Score
Push for the Big 10 or SEC. Don’t give up
My personal preference (likely never getting in the BIG) is the Big12 coast to coast with 20-24 schools which seems inevitable for all conferences. Divide into regional divisions of 6-10 and play in conference tournaments then the national tournament-more revenue and interest. That would create rivalries and cut down on travel and especially help Olympic sports. In that scenario we should surely be included. Lastly, Yourmak and the Big12 BB schools want us and want to solidify the conference as the undisputed best for BB. A HUGE help starting very shortly is : in Jim Mora we trust!!!!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This is simply not true. The best players are going to go where the money is, and that will be to the power conferences. Those teams will be able to offer more NIL money, better facilities, they will be on tv more. It will be a gradual decline for the non Power conference schools, but it will happen.
I disagree with NIL and facilities. How much a school makes from their media contract has no impact on what gets paid in NIL. And UConn BBall has some of the best facilities in the country.

Your concern about exposure isn’t being talked about enough. What happens with the next Big East Fox contract will be telling. Will they push for more streaming or more “prime time” game to be relegated to FS1/2 to give the FOX spots to the BIG / Big12? If that happens, that’s not good.

Hope Val is not ready to roll over and comes up with something creative to ensure we continue to get as much, if not more, exposure on the broadcast fox channel with the pre-game show and whole thing. Don’t let us be back-up content and please dear lord don’t let us end up on a streaming platform.

Reaction Score
Would the scope of the XL Center renovation change if we move to the Big 12?

Reaction Score
My personal preference (likely never getting in the BIG) is the Big12 coast to coast with 20-24 schools which seems inevitable for all conferences. Divide into regional divisions of 6-10 and play in conference tournaments then the national tournament-more revenue and interest. That would create rivalries and cut down on travel and especially help Olympic sports. In that scenario we should surely be included. Lastly, Yourmak and the Big12 BB schools want us and want to solidify the conference as the undisputed best for BB. A HUGE help starting very shortly is : in Jim Mora we trust!!!!
I don't think you're suggesting it, but we should never join any conference for basketball only.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
My worry about the NCAA Tournament is that the P4 (or whatever it is now) don't need to find a TV partner to pay the $1.1B that Turner pays right now. Conferences only get a small portion of that pie, like roughly ~30%. So around $330M split between all the conferences with tournament credits.

What happens if FOX and ESPN say hey wait a minute, we'll pay you guys $350M/year to broadcast our own tournament, with half the games on FOX and half on ESPN, and then a rotating Championship game like CBS/FOX/NBC do for the Super Bowl.

That is my biggest fear. Would the Big East be included in that? I think we will get our answer to that when the new CFP format comes out. If the P4 squeeze out the G5 conferences from getting auto-bids, we are in serious danger because that means the NCAA Tournament is likely where they turn their attention to next.

Yeah I wouldn't be shocked if they make their own tournament, but it would surprise me if they shut out every single team not in a P4. The marketability of the tournament is almost entirely based on the fact that a cinderella story can come out of nowhere and win a game or two (or more). Take that away, and casual fans aren't going to tune in. Who gives a crap about Arizona State vs. Arkansas in the first round of the NBA Jr. playoffs? Nobody will tune in to watch that. Furman vs. Virginia, on the other hand, generated enormous interest.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, the remaining P4 conferences are going to break away from the NCAA. And the two entities who pay for almost all their rights, Disney/ABC/ESPN and Fox, will pay handsomely to make sure the basketball tournament t featuring their properties is seen as the legitimate championship.

And most of America's attention and money will go to the tourney featuring UCLA, Kentucky, UNC, Duke,Kansas, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan, Mich St, Arizona, etc over a tournament featuring UConn, Nova and Gonzaga.

It's amazing that some find this debatable.

The immediate goal is to get any seat at the table. The worst seat at the adult table is better than the best seat at the kid's table.

Reaction Score
Yes, the remaining P4 conferences are going to break away from the NCAA. And the two entities who pay for almost all their rights, Disney/ABC/ESPN and Fox, will pay handsomely to make sure the basketball tournament t featuring their properties is seen as the legitimate championship.

And most of America's attention and money will go to the tourney featuring UCLA, Kentucky, UNC, Duke,Kansas, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan, Mich St, Arizona, etc over a tournament featuring UConn, Nova and Gonzaga.

It's amazing that some find this debatable.

The immediate goal is to get any seat at the table. The worst seat at the adult table is better than the best seat at the kid's table.
They aren't going to create a tournament and leave out the best basketball brands and they aren't going to leave out the Cinderellas.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
UConn basketball as a stand-alone could likely get into a p-2 or 3 conference on its own merits, because it has such support in CT (state funding) & is a known brand country wide. It’s the other sports - especially football - that would likely suffer. Hoping that becomes the worst case scenario & we’re able to eventually finesse a solid footing somewhere in the “power 5” asap.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yes, the remaining P4 conferences are going to break away from the NCAA.
See. Here’s the thing. You don’t actually know this. It is just more CR puffery. No one knows anything. I don’t know how many times one has to get T-bagged in the CR carousel to finally realize that no one ever knows anything.
It’s flippin amazing reading all this crap all the time .
I will grant that your opening sentence seems inevitable. But you don’t KNOW this and even if it is fact ( and it’s not) you still have no idea of when.

This is all getting to be pretty sad, but I find it so amusing because of posts like this ( (and threads like this) I have a hard time shedding tears .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom