OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 275 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
A classic looking Greek style pie.
This is the Greek pizza I grew up on in CT, never seen it cut Chicago tavern style in CT.
6cd22a4c-81ca-4c6c-8fc7-6d9879298179.jpg

Reaction Score
When we were growing up all the Greek pizzas were cut in squares. All the out of staters at UConn mentioned how peculiar it was. I think many are now offering slices and NY style but we always had squares. Greasy cheesy saucy squares.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
When we were growing up all the Greek pizzas were cut in squares. All the out of staters at UConn mentioned how peculiar it was. I think many are now offering slices and NY style but we always had squares. Greasy cheesy saucy squares.

I can walk to two greek places outside of my work right now and if I order a large its squares. I grew up in Farmington Valley every large pizza from a greek joint was squares. Have I seen Superjohns example of greek? I have a few times. But it predominantly a square large.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not New England style Greek Pizza. All the Greek Pizza I've ever had in CT is cut in slices and has well done cheese.
We've have this argument before. I can't confirm that it's only large pies, but every single pizza I've had from Hope St in Stamford and Post Corner in Darien have been cut in squares since at least the 70s. And the cheese was rarely well done. And there was a place around Storrs that did the same in the late 70s (only Greek pies I had up there - we'd go into Willi at get pizza at Italian Gardens for a decent thin crust).

That said, the old-time classic Greek pan pizzas (usually 12") that our family would get for take out ("one free when you buy five!") from John's in Springdale, Glenbrook, or Papa's downtown (all packaged between two Chinet-type cardboard plates and sealed in a paper bag), were cut in six wedges.

Reaction Score
That looks like a Pizza Hut pan pizza to me.

I definitely grew up on squares for Greek pizza.
It's Bantam Pizza. One of the only Greek pizzas I like.

The other place I used to frequently get Greek Pizza is Washington Pizza House...
348s.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We've have this argument before. I can't confirm that it's only large pies, but every single pizza I've had from Hope St in Stamford and Post Corner in Darien have been cut in squares since at least the 70s. And the cheese was rarely well done. And there was a place around Storrs that did the same in the late 70s (only Greek pies I had up there - we'd go into Willi at get pizza at Italian Gardens for a decent thin crust).

That said, the old-time classic Greek pan pizzas (usually 12") that our family would get for take out ("one free when you buy five!") from John's in Springdale, Glenbrook, or Papa's downtown (all packaged between two Chinet-type cardboard plates and sealed in a paper bag), were cut in six wedges.

I'll triangulate the discussion. A characteristic of the Greek pizzas I ate always had that brown, bubbly cheese top. I associate that look with Greek pizzas.

Reaction Score
That’s a “Utica Style” pie, otherwise known as an upside down pizza or tomato pie (different than the south Jersey tomato pie). I’ve had a few examples of the style in the Utica area. Some are circular, many are made rectangular in a thicker pan style, and many are served at room temp. Cheese on the bottom, chunky tomato sauce and pecorino on top. It’s solid when made well.

That picture is in no way shape or form a Utica Pie.

Utica pie is dough (usually rectangle), olive oil, tomato sauce - typically a bit on the sweet side, and a sprinkle of cheese on top, there is no cheese under the tomato sauce in a traditional Utica pie - it's dough, olive oil, sauce and parm. Utica Pie is served cold.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'll triangulate the discussion. A characteristic of the Greek pizzas I ate always had that brown, bubbly cheese top. I associate that look with Greek pizzas.
It may be that Post Corner did bake the pies till the cheese was scorched, but my memories of Hope St was that it was the whitest, gooeyest mess of a pizza I'd had, and extremely difficult to eat the crustless middle pieces as it was so soggy.

Reaction Score
I can walk to two greek places outside of my work right now and if I order a large its squares. I grew up in Farmington Valley every large pizza from a greek joint was squares. Have I seen Superjohns example of greek? I have a few times. But it predominantly a square large.
Huey Lewis.. Hip to be square.. Apollo's Pizza always square.. Former owners moved back to Greece.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It may be that Post Corner did bake the pies till the cheese was scorched, but my memories of Hope St was that it was the whitest, gooeyest mess of a pizza I'd had, and extremely difficult to eat the crustless middle pieces as it was so soggy.

This is what I think of when I think of Greek pizzas.

9b356d9d116ffc171def9b0019eb4ea6_-united-states-connecticut-tolland-county-vernon-18242-pauls-...jpg

Reaction Score
Nope 95% of greek places cut squares on a large
My Greek uncle has a pizza shop in PA. He cuts them into triangles. I took him on a tour of New Haven Pizza. He loved it but said it would never sell in PA.

Reaction Score
That picture is in no way shape or form a Utica Pie.

Utica pie is dough (usually rectangle), olive oil, tomato sauce - typically a bit on the sweet side, and a sprinkle of cheese on top, there is no cheese under the tomato sauce in a traditional Utica pie - it's dough, olive oil, sauce and parm. Utica Pie is served cold.
Man, can’t people read on this board? I said “many are made rectangular”. I also said served at room temp. Not sure where you get cold from. Also, both of these are Utica-style, cheese under the sauce, and they are both from O’Scugnizzo… doing pizza in Utica since 1914.

A3A6A1FD-3227-4E79-8D6D-0B9183523B60.jpeg
4FC852D3-DA77-4D93-AC67-85107522FCFD.jpeg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Indeed. Superjohn absolutely posted a greek pie. No argument there.

Reaction Score
Was raised in Willimantic on new england greek style pizza with the square cuts on the large pizzas and triangular on small. Those interior 4 crustless squares were sought after by us kids because we hated the end crust on any pizza.

What makes the cheese unique with it scorched marks is its a 50/50 blend of moz and white cheddar. Its pan pizza with deep fried (in olive oil and lard) crust so its crunchy while its fresh but can be a soggy mess left over.

Reaction Score
You guys are obviously right but I grew up on Captains/Beverlys/Paradise and this is news to me. Or did I just not order larges?

Reaction Score
Man, can’t people read on this board? I said “many are made rectangular”. I also said served at room temp. Not sure where you get cold from. Also, both of these are Utica-style, cheese under the sauce, and they are both from O’Scugnizzo… doing pizza in Utica since 1914.

View attachment 87971 View attachment 87972

I can read you did not describe a Utica pie

There is NO CHESSE BETWEEN THE DOUGH AND THE SAIUCE - why dont people post something they know something about.

Jesus man be accurate seriously - how do i know about Utica pie a friends family owns the best known place for pie in Utica - besides spending a lot of time there still

Get it right man

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom