OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 241 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Any toddler can burn a pizza with plants from the woods on it. It takes a true artisan to spirinkle the right amount of cheese on a Poughkeepsie dominos pie

The oaf in Poughkeepsie knows to take the pizza out of the oven before it catches fire.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The oaf in Poughkeepsie knows to take the pizza out of the oven before it catches fire.
Look at that leoparding!

0A9FD2C2-04BF-455D-8E66-68D11D8A6D35.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, that looks horrid.
Are you of British heritage?

My wife uses “horrid” all the time; she claims she picked it up from her Welsh mother and grandmother.

Reaction Score
Ramps season!

On my agenda for Saturday. I have a great spot on the Saugatuck reservoir. PS that A5 Wagyu was the best steak I've had in my life, and also put me into a food coma.

As for pizza, I was in Maine outside of Portland (Norway) at a place called Oxbow which had pies as good or better than any I've had in NH. It reminded of what I expect out of Bufalina, based on 8893's descriptions. Good staples and locally available seasonal toppings. My favorite was with n'duja, Calabrian chilies and honey.

Reaction Score
On my agenda for Saturday. I have a great spot on the Saugatuck reservoir. PS that A5 Wagyu was the best steak I've had in my life, and also put me into a food coma.

As for pizza, I was in Maine outside of Portland (Norway) at a place called Oxbow which had pies as good or better than any I've had in NH. It reminded of what I expect out of Bufalina, based on 8893's descriptions. Good staples and locally available seasonal toppings. My favorite was with n'duja, Calabrian chilies and honey.
You mean Oxbow Brewing’s farmhouse outpost in Oxford? That place has an awesome vibe, insane mixed culture beers, and yes… otherworldly wood fired pies in the woods of western Maine.

Reaction Score
You mean Oxbow Brewing’s farmhouse outpost in Oxford? That place has an awesome vibe, insane mixed culture beers, and yes… otherworldly wood fired pies in the woods of western Maine.

Umm kind of embarrassed I didn't realize I was in Western Maine, but yes. My friend bought an amazing bed and breakfast in Waterford (Waterford Inn) and I just followed my GPS blindly, I guess. Everything about the place was incredible. I have had Modern, Da Legna, Pepe's, Roseland and Zupps in the past year and I think Oxbow was better. And the cherry on top for me was that they apparently have their own farm, which is my aspiration.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So that Atticus pie in the post above is a Red Pie topped with Walden Hill Guanciale, Wild Ramps, Pecorino, and Remo's Calabrian Chili Crunch.

And it’s pretty freaking awesome.
Hard pass. You're one bougie sumbich.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Are you of British heritage?

My wife uses “horrid” all the time; she claims she picked it up from her Welsh mother and grandmother.

German, but pizza looks like the English tried to cook it.

Horrid’s a good word; it started life hundreds of years ago as a lesser version of horrible. (Since then, they’ve essentially come to mean the same thing.)

I adhere to the original standard so your pizza is like one orbit better than horrible.

Reaction Score
If you want to call pizza that is using unfamiliar ingredients “bougie” and prefer dominos that’s great, but the “best pizza in CT” thread might just not be one for you.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you want to call pizza that is using unfamiliar ingredients “bougie” and prefer dominos that’s great, but the “best pizza in CT” thread might just not be one for you.
While the ingredients may be unfamiliar, it's basically a bacon and onion pie with Romano cheese and chili peppers.

But I get that a lot of people, including two of my kids, don't dig the char and think it's burnt.

Reaction Score
While the ingredients may be unfamiliar, it's basically a bacon and onion pie with Romano cheese and chili peppers.

But I get that a lot of people, including two of my kids, don't dig the char and think it's burnt.

The fact that Dove agrees with Fishy pretty much tells you everything you need to know there.

Reaction Score

I almost always tell the waitress or pizza maker to burn it. Not necessary with New Haven places as they know how to cook a pizza but occasionally I'll ask them to burn it a little too...

I love all those ingredients but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to great pizza. Either plain (sauce, mozz) don't see the attraction with the red pie and one ingredient (sausage or pepperoni.) They've always used high quality sausage and pepperoni at the New Haven spots. I'm the same way with high quality burgers, you start adding several toppings and it detracts from the meat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I almost always tell the waitress or pizza maker to burn it. Not necessary with New Haven places as they know how to cook a pizza but occasionally I'll ask them to burn it a little too...

I love all those ingredients but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to great pizza. Either plain (sauce, mozz) don't see the attraction with the red pie and one ingredient (sausage or pepperoni.) They've always used high quality sausage and pepperoni at the New Haven spots. I'm the same way with high quality burgers, you start adding several toppings and it detracts from the meat.
I trust you mean that you prefer either a plain cheese pie (“scamotza” pie where I grew up) or one ingredient, and I hear you on the less-is-more thought behind that. This was a special and I went with it because it was seasonal and I trusted them not to use a heavy hand, just as I do with Bufalina. I was happy that my trust was not misplaced.

Ramps are pretty delicate and less intense than onions; and guanciale is less intense than bacon and not smoky. The Calabrian chili added a nice slow burn and interesting crunch, but again it was a very light touch. I was surprised at the minimal amount of cheese, and even more surprised that I didn’t miss it. The sauce is nicely sweet and complemented the rest very well. Fresh garlic, too.

But the absolute star of this pie imo is the crust. Which, as @elmcityboy notes, should be no surprise from the people behind Chabaso Bakery.

Reaction Score
So that Atticus pie in the post above is a Red Pie topped with Walden Hill Guanciale, Wild Ramps, Pecorino, and Remo's Calabrian Chili Crunch.

And it’s pretty freaking awesome.
It's how Chicago got its name. Derived from area native name for ramp? My grandparents lived and raised kids during the Depression. They had fruit and nut trees, picked berries and foraged for ramps and mushrooms, raised their own rabbits and chickens and hunted for small game and birds. Maintained a large vegetable garden. Canned the fruits and vegetables. Baked bread and assorted pies and cakes. All just to keep their family fed. Today it would be considered an organic, artisan diet. Big effort though.

Reaction Score
I trust you mean that you prefer either a plain cheese pie (“scamotza” pie where I grew up) or one ingredient, and I hear you on the less-is-more thought behind that. This was a special and I went with it because it was seasonal and I trusted them not to use a heavy hand, just as I do with Bufalina. I was happy that my trust was not misplaced.

Ramps are pretty delicate and less intense than onions; and guanciale is less intense than bacon and not smoky. The Calabrian chili added a nice slow burn and interesting crunch, but again it was a very light touch. I was surprised at the minimal amount of cheese, and even more surprised that I didn’t miss it. The sauce is nicely sweet and complemented the rest very well. Fresh garlic, too.

But the absolute star of this pie imo is the crust. Which, as @elmcityboy notes, should be no surprise from the people behind Chabaso Bakery.
Yes a cheese pizza, a cheese pizza or plain pie everywhere other than New Haven. Not a fan of the New Haven tomato pie.

I love all those ingredients and will have them on a sandwich or in pasta dishes but I just prefer great pizza without them. I'm less is more with great pizza, a great burger, a great steak.

I'm sure it's great but I bet I would love the plain cheese more or the sausage pie if they use a great sausage purveyor or make their own.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom