OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 240 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
came back here to say that i finally got pizza from the new atticus spot on orange street the other day. it was phenomenal -- easily the best of the new-school spots in town. reminded me a lot of sally's. the crust was the highlight, as you would expect from a bread bakery -- i am kind of amazed at what they can do with a small gas-fired oven.

it was also relatively quick (20-minute wait) and the location couldn't be nicer. ate outside on one of the picnic tables after biking around east rock. highly recommend.
Ok so I would consider that a rave review. Now I really need to get my arse over there.

Reaction Score
Ok so I would consider that a rave review. Now I really need to get my arse over there.
i would say so. i have relatively high standards for pizza and had lofty expectations for atticus based on what i had heard. def met expectations.

my phone takes terrible pictures but here is a shot of the plain w- cheese:

PART_1651005144720.jpg

Reaction Score
i would say so. i have relatively high standards for pizza and had lofty expectations for atticus based on what i had heard. def met expectations.

View attachment 75963
My buddy's wife started baking at Atticus recently. She's immensely talented. They make incredible stuff outside the pizza, too

Reaction Score

View attachment 75963
What's the story with this place, is it a restaurant or just a market that serves up pizzas? I'll be back in CT. in a month and want to try a new place. I've done Modern, Pepe's, Sally's, Zuppardi's, Roseland, Abate's.

That looks like a good pie. How is John and Marie's? Any other places worth trying?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What's the story with this place, is it a restaurant or just a market that serves up pizzas? I'll be back in CT. in a month and want to try a new place. I've done Modern, Pepe's, Sally's, Zuppardi's, Roseland, Abate's.

That looks like a good pie.
Atticus has had a cafe and bookstore on Chapel Street in New Haven for decades, adjoining the Yale British Art Museum. They recently took over the old site of Romeo & Joe’s on Orange Street and turned it into Atticus Market, which has prepared foods, select groceries and gifts, and some picnic tables out front. That’s where they sell the pizza, and I believe they only do it Thursdays through Saturdays, until they run out (around 50 pies a night).

I’ve been there for breakfast and lunch but haven’t been able to make the pizza timing work yet despite good intentions.

You might also consider trying Zeneli, Bufalina, One6Three or better yet grab takeout from Olde World and bring it to 12%.

Reaction Score
Atticus has had a cafe and bookstore on Chapel Street in New Haven for decades, adjoining the Yale British Art Museum. They recently took over the old site of Romeo & Joe’s on Orange Street and turned it into Atticus Market, which has prepared foods, select groceries and gifts, and some picnic tables out front. That’s where they sell the pizza, and I believe they only do it Thursdays through Saturdays, until they run out (around 50 pies a night).

I’ve been there for breakfast and lunch but haven’t been able to make the pizza timing work yet despite good intentions.

You might also consider trying Zeneli, Bufalina, One6Three or better yet grab takeout from Olde World and bring it to 12%.
Thanks. Olde World takeout and 12% sounds like a plan, two birds one stone.

Zeneli looks good but I can get good Neopolitan out here and I don't love the style like I do New Haven style.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Olde World takeout and 12% sounds like a plan, two birds one stone.

Zeneli looks good but I can get good Neopolitan out here and I don't love the style like I do New Haven style.
Olde World is excellent. I had them make me a sampler pie that was all mozzarella, and 1/4 bacon, 1/4 Sausage and 1/4 meatball. It was superb. I've been back a handful of times since and it is consistently great.

Reaction Score

That looks like a good pie. How is John and Marie's? Any other places worth trying?
@8893 covered it. the same family also runs chabaso, the bakery on james st that distributes ciabatta and baguettes around the region. they definitely know bread.

believe it or not, i have actually never had john and marie's. i have heard good things, though. olde world is on my list for sure. i also like brick oven on howe st as a late-night/drunk option. next door is a solid new-school spot, as well. i have some friends that swear by little rendevous in meriden, but i haven't been able to try it myself.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So that Atticus pie in the post above is a Red Pie topped with Walden Hill Guanciale, Wild Ramps, Pecorino, and Remo's Calabrian Chili Crunch.

And it’s pretty freaking awesome.
When I moved to Pgh in 2002, ramps were on every menu of every decent restaurant. I'd never heard of them back in New England, let alone ate one. Or garlic scapes, which I also love. Then again, I grew up in Stamford, not known for its farming.

The thing about ramps is that it takes about seven years for them to seed, so if wild ramps are foraged without leaving some behind to mature to seed, they could be gone in our lifetime. Of course there will be farm-grown ramps, but "wild ramps" has more appeal on a menu.

The More You Know...

Reaction Score
NW CT guy that knows the pizza up here generally pales in comparison to the southern parts of the state but I'm gunna throw Milestone Pizza in Thomaston into the ring.

It's the best pizza within 30 mins of me and closest you'll get to that NH style up here. Really solid pie and a cool story. Try to get down there at least once a month.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When I moved to Pgh in 2002, ramps were on every menu of every decent restaurant. I'd never heard of them back in New England, let alone ate one. Or garlic scapes, which I also love. Then again, I grew up in Stamford, not known for its farming.

The thing about ramps is that it takes about seven years for them to seed, so if wild ramps are foraged without leaving some behind to mature to seed, they could be gone in our lifetime. Of course there will be farm-grown ramps, but "wild ramps" has more appeal on a menu.

The More You Know...
Yeah, I don’t recall being aware of ramps, or scapes, being a thing until I started seeing them on menus around 10 years ago, probably at Bufalina, where they usually do a special pie with them during one of the two weeks or so that they are in season. But once I saw them and smelled them, I recognized them immediately as a plant we definitely frolicked among as kids.

The funny thing about ramps with me is that I don’t like onions as a condiment or on pizza, but I like ramps. Kinda like roasted red peppers, in that I don’t like the texture but I like the taste (and I do cook with onions).

I thought Bufalina had a rare miss with their scapes pie last year because they did it with lemon and ricotta and went wayyyy too heavy on the lemon, to the point where it overpowered the taste of the scapes. Hoping they do a different combo this year; and also hoping Atticus does a scapes pie, too.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So that Atticus pie in the post above is a Red Pie topped with Walden Hill Guanciale, Wild Ramps, Pecorino, and Remo's Calabrian Chili Crunch.

And it’s pretty freaking awesome.
Ramps season!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom