OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 238 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I had a moment of pizza serendipity today...

My afternoon will be spent prepping the lawn for spring prior to settling down for the Final Four. My outdoor maintenance days are typically fueled by coffee, Advil and grazing on frozen pizza.

After preheating the grill, I noticed my pizza wasn't a pizza, but a standalone crust. Our fridge is rather empty and had no desire to drive the mile-and-a-half drive to the grocery store, so I grilled the pizza crust as is and improvised from there.

Call me crazy, but I made a crust flatbread sandwich type thing: hummus on one slice, tzatziki on the other and then a dab or two of Secret Aardvark on both slices before smushing the slices together.

Fan-freakin'-tastic.

What's the saying? Necessity is the mother of invention.

Will replay.

Reaction Score
I had a moment of pizza serendipity today...

My afternoon will be spent prepping the lawn for spring prior to settling down for the Final Four. My outdoor maintenance days are typically fueled by coffee, Advil and grazing on frozen pizza.

After preheating the grill, I noticed my pizza wasn't a pizza, but a standalone crust. Our fridge is rather empty and had no desire to drive the mile-and-a-half drive to the grocery store, so I grilled the pizza crust as is and improvised from there.

Call me crazy, but I made a crust flatbread sandwich type thing: hummus on one slice, tzatziki on the other and then a dab or two of Secret Aardvark on both slices before smushing the slices together.

Fan-freakin'-tastic.

What's the saying? Necessity is the mother of invention.

Will replay.
Hahaha you had me at coffee/Advil/Frozen pizza.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

The reheat method is EVERYTHING. It will never be just like it, but I bet you could get "close enough" for most who have no opportunity to get it fresh. But throwing that in an oven like a normal frozen pizza will not get the results you are after I would imagine. But with a little bit of care and experimentation I bet you could make it passable. I would like to try it on a Pizza steel (or stone but steel preferable) that has been in a 475 standard oven for an hour and then throw a defrosted pizza on the steel until done on top. And maybe even 450 or 425, the trick has to be not overcooking the crust.

Reaction Score
The reheat method is EVERYTHING. It will never be just like it, but I bet you could get "close enough" for most who have no opportunity to get it fresh. But throwing that in an oven like a normal frozen pizza will not get the results you are after I would imagine. But with a little bit of care and experimentation I bet you could make it passable. I would like to try it on a Pizza steel (or stone but steel preferable) that has been in a 475 standard oven for an hour and then throw a defrosted pizza on the steel until done on top. And maybe even 450 or 425, the trick has to be not overcooking the crust.
I've ordered Zuppardi's up here and Buffalo and used a stone, and it was really really good.

But they doubled the price on Goldbelly s there's no point in doing it now. I can just order from a local artisan place for cheaper and get better pizza (artisan = smaller pies for one or two people at a Neapolitan place).

Reaction Score
I do have some experience in this. I buy the frozen Zuppardis sausage pies at Caraluzzi’s Market in Bethel or ShopRite in Brookfield. These Zuppardis pies are baked 3/4 or 4/5 of the way through and then flash frozen, I bake them on a very thick pizza stone (all pizza stones are not equal) at 400 degrees with the convection mode on. They come out perfect or almost. Lol. I also make my own pies using a peel, corn meal, gluten, the best oil, make my own dough, a 500 degree convection oven, but it’s a lot of work.

August_West

Reaction Score
I've ordered Zuppardi's up here and Buffalo and used a stone, and it was really really good.

But they doubled the price on Goldbelly s there's no point in doing it now. I can just order from a local artisan place for cheaper and get better pizza (artisan = smaller pies for one or two people at a Neapolitan place).

Goldbellys is a really cool and obviously effective idea. But yeah their prices have really gone through the roof. I usually check and see if something I want is available direct from the place. Many times it is. Or you can get something akin to it. For example my parents are native Chicagoans and I was looking for an Italian Beef kit for them for their birthdays (a day apart). I did some internet scouring and ended up getting about twice the amount for almost half the price.

Reaction Score
Goldbellys is a really cool and obviously effective idea. But yeah their prices have really gone through the roof. I usually check and see if something I want is available direct from the place. Many times it is. Or you can get something akin to it. For example my parents are native Chicagoans and I was looking for an Italian Beef kit for them for their birthdays (a day apart). I did some internet scouring and ended up getting about twice the amount for almost half the price.
Thanks for letting me know--wonder if some of the arrangements are exclusive with Goldbelly

August_West

Reaction Score
Thanks for letting me know--wonder if some of the arrangements are exclusive with Goldbelly

I think some definitely are, some arent. Some were on Goldbelly at one time, but now arent and do their own thing, its constantly changing. For example Katz's deli was on Goldbelly very early in their inception, but arent now, and ship direct much cheaper.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I used Goldbelly a couple times to order Central Grocery muffulettas for the office and they were great, but then I saw that you could get the Central Grocery olive salad on Amazon and decided to make a run at making them myself. Cold cuts were not an issue (I think I went with Boar's Head) and I figured out the proportions just fine, but finding the right bread was the hardest part. Tried a few options side by side and Apicella's round Italian was the best. Get it un-sliced and then slice horizontally and make one massive manhole cover sized one, just like Central Grocery--except for the sesame seeds. Apicella did say they could probably do that as a special order.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After one day BY hiatus that centered attention on my first 'conversation' with an 11-week old and ongoing methodical transition from a maxed-out/hyperfinicky/increasingly failing phone to its successor, I stopped for lunch along Dixie Highway, halfway between the Southwest Family Y and the Southwest Regional Louisville Free Public Library.

During my wait for a "Single" with housemade sausage and (4) cheeses, I opened The Boneyard to see if Newton had announced his commitment and was treated to far far more, and in amounts I'll never be able to read.

Bonnie & Clyde's served me a quite credible, crunchy thin-crusted bar pie, as enjoyable as those I've had at the Myrtle Ave Colony, Star Tavern in East Orange, and Eddie's in New Hyde Park.
Screenshot_20220413-204104.png

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I'm going to be ordering Pepe's for delivery two miles from my house in Alexandria, VA, this spring. The sky is definitely not falling here in the DMV.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be ordering Pepe's for delivery two miles from my house in Alexandria, VA, this spring. The sky is definitely not falling here in the DMV.
Not quite 2 miles for me, but I’m in Alexandria often enough working at Fort Belvoir and drinking in Old Town that Pepe’s will still be convenient.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
After one day BY hiatus that centered attention on my first 'conversation' with an 11-week old and ongoing methodical transition from a maxed-out/hyperfinicky/increasingly failing phone to its successor, I stopped for lunch along Dixie Highway, halfway between the Southwest Family Y and the Southwest Regional Louisville Free Public Library.

During my wait for a "Single" with housemade sausage and (4) cheeses, I opened The Boneyard to see if Newton had announced his commitment and was treated to far far more, and in amounts I'll never be able to read.

Bonnie & Clyde's served me a quite credible, crunchy thin-crusted bar pie, as enjoyable as those I've had at the Myrtle Ave Colony, Star Tavern in East Orange, and Eddie's in New Hyde Park.
View attachment 75578
i need more info on this pie before i can green light the post. to wit,
this 4 cheese business. are they 4 like mozz, romano, provolone, parm and such? if so, im in.
if they're 4 like asiago, cheddar, jack, brie, cream cheese, or whatever, then no.

rigot can go either way for me, depending upon how its used. i saw a salami, honey, rigot, and cheddar pie at bulldog u recently. almost had to dial 911. or call in airstrikes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
i need more info on this pie before i can green light the post. to wit,
this 4 cheese business. are they 4 like mozz, romano, provolone, parm and such? if so, im in.
if they're 4 like asiago, cheddar, jack, brie, cream cheese, or whatever, then no.

rigot can go either way for me, depending upon how its used. i saw a salami, honey, rigot, and cheddar pie at bulldog u recently. almost had to dial 911. or call in airstrikes.
Place had a single TV for folks to watch the game, drink beer, and eat pizza. At 2:30 in the afternoon, it was more dark than light inside.Each pie comes with a half-dozen pepperoncini. The lettering on the main sign was peeling, and the "Serving Great Pizza for [ ] Year's" banner had a hand-lettered, pasted-in box that showed "50." Cash only. Decidedly downscale white Dixie Highway location, 10 south of downtown and a world away from craftbrew, hipsters, yuppies, old money, etc.

Which set of 4 cheeses would you bet on?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Place had a single TV for folks to watch the game, drink beer, and eat pizza. At 2:30 in the afternoon, it was more dark than light inside.Each pie comes with a half-dozen pepperoncini. The lettering on the main sign was peeling, and the "Serving Great Pizza for [ ] Year's" banner had a hand-lettered, pasted-in box that showed "50." Cash only. Decidedly downscale white Dixie Highway location, 10 south of downtown and a world away from craftbrew, hipsters, yuppies, old money, etc.

Which set of 4 cheeses would you bet on?
the former.

August_West

Reaction Score

View attachment 75578

Is that Velveeta on the Pizza?

Reaction Score

View attachment 75578

Looks like Davey Pageviews compared it to New England Greek pizza - which I don’t particularly love, but would eat.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is that Velveeta on the Pizza?
Cute, but this query came in after @ClifSpliffy asked and I'd answered.

Besides, I already said I was dealing with a failing phone, and the upper left shows the pepperoncini.

Barstool's Greek comp was off in many dimensions - thickness, flavor, crisp. I've got no issue with anybody deciding against a pizza place located equidistant to Shively and (I kid you not) Penile, but I'd still stack it up as a credible bar pie.

Portnoy decided that he liked it best in the city, but makes brief mention of The Post as 'would have been best except for customer service.'

He claims that he waited 90 minutes and was told it'd be 15. The owner said it was more like a "25-35“ that took 45. Davey didn't back down, and the video is no longer on YouTube.

The Post is about 2 miles from where I've been living, and it's not at all bad, but I prefer some creative combinations that give me more room to appreciate what it is rather than make comparisons to New Haven that would focus me on what it isn't. It does seem to get the most run as best in the city.

Six years ago I enjoyed Lupo, which was a more artisinal Napoletano place. I'm curious to try Jet's which offers a Detroit style, but mostly I'm eager to get back to home base and eat as much pizza as I can before I hustle back to River/Falls/Derby City for the daily unfolding miracles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom