OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 237 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Last three times I’ve been to Modern the pizza has been undercooked. Getting demoted in my personal rankings…
I was there with a large group a couple months ago and have to say that the taste of the pie (the combination of cheese, sauce, oil, sausage & mushrooms) was terrific and had a slightly thinner crust than Zuppardi’s, however the amount of topping was pretty thin compared to what I have always had at Zuppardi’s. The sausage chunks were small and sparse as were the mushrooms while the same Zuppardi’s pie had huge chunks piled on, and the taste of the sausage on the Zuppardis pie was superior, the aroma of fennel and anise was quite evident. It does make sense since Zuppardi’s has made their own sausage for generations. As to which was better, I’d give a slight edge to Zuppardis.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
in my opinion, this is a regular thing at modern -- undercooked pizza with too much on top of it, so it gets soupy in the middle. if you order it "well done" and even with light cheese and it's as good as any of the other spots around, though.
It’s funny I’ve seen this comment a few times now. I do believe that is how most people nationwide like their pizza. Could be why they do it that way.

Reaction Score
I loved my experience at the Graduate in Storrs. I haven't seen the one at Yale, but it will have tons of Bulldogs and Yale whimsy in the decor. Great business concept.

For pizza, I recommend Zupp’s in East Haven. I love commercial spots grandfathered into residential areas and it’s close to the beach.
Zupp’s is in West Haven

Reaction Score
Went to Pepe's and ordered a medium pepperoni pie yesterday. Hadn't ordered from them since the pandemic, mainly cuz my wife likes the pies from another place.

$25 for the pie at Pepe's!

Not sure if its related to the shortages or inflation, but I can't see them lowering prices even when things settle back to 'normal'.

Anyway the pie was good as usual, but not $25 dollars good. Restaurant was packed however.

Reaction Score
Went to Pepe's and ordered a medium pepperoni pie yesterday. Hadn't ordered from them since the pandemic, mainly cuz my wife likes the pies from another place.

Not sure if its related to the shortages or inflation, but I can't see them lowering prices even when things settle back to 'normal'.

Anyway the pie was good as usual, but not $25 dollars good. Restaurant was packed however.
If you think Pepe’s is overly expensive now, the same pie at Sally’s would set you back a couple dollars more. I think it’s all over now, got two sausage and mushroom medium pies at Zuppardi’s a couple days ago and the total with tax was $46.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Pepe's Opening Monday in Bethesda, MD

Connecticut-based pizza chain Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana is expanding to Bethesda and Alexandria.

The 97-year-old company plans on opening in early July at 3231 Duke Street in the Alexandria Commons Shopping Center, according to an email to ALXnow. Frank Pepe’s, which is widely lauded as a classic old school pizza parlor, is also opening its first location in the region on March 28 in Bethesda, Maryland. The chain offers delivery, and is well known for pizza with a chewy, slightly charred crust.

“It may have taken nearly a century for America’s best pizza to arrive in the DMV, but we are thrilled to finally be here,” said Jennifer Kelly, granddaughter of founder Frank Pepe. “These are our family’s original recipes… We even replicated our signature coal-fired, hand-built brick oven using iron castings from the original restaurant.”

Reaction Score
Pepe's Opening Monday in Bethesda, MD

Connecticut-based pizza chain Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana is expanding to Bethesda and Alexandria.

The 97-year-old company plans on opening in early July at 3231 Duke Street in the Alexandria Commons Shopping Center, according to an email to ALXnow. Frank Pepe’s, which is widely lauded as a classic old school pizza parlor, is also opening its first location in the region on March 28 in Bethesda, Maryland. The chain offers delivery, and is well known for pizza with a chewy, slightly charred crust.

“It may have taken nearly a century for America’s best pizza to arrive in the DMV, but we are thrilled to finally be here,” said Jennifer Kelly, granddaughter of founder Frank Pepe. “These are our family’s original recipes… We even replicated our signature coal-fired, hand-built brick oven using iron castings from the original restaurant.”
Pepe’s business model reminds me of an out of control 18 wheeler. I expect their next openings will be in Guam, New Delhi, and Cuba.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Pepe’s business model reminds me of an out of control 18 wheeler. I expect their next openings will be in Guam, New Delhi, and Cuba.
Lots of US military and their families stationed in Guam. They'd probably do very well there.

Reaction Score

I’m sure Papa Johns has some March Madness special more in your price range.

Reaction Score
Lots of US military and their families stationed in Guam. They'd probably do very well there.
I actually was joking, but yes there are many military personnel and dependents there, but how would Pepe’s pass off the enormous shipping costs for sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella, olive oil, high gluten flour, pre made sauce, refrigeration without doubling or tripling prices? That’s my problem with Pepe’s opening restaurants all over the eastern seaboard, it’s an 18 wheeler out of control, the young ones ruining what their fathers and great grandfathers created, to make a fast buck at the expense of the entire business. Either they raise prices or cut corners quality wise, or a combination of both. They can try to source locally, but when they do that quality takes a hit.

Reaction Score
can't believe abate never upped their game. you're on wooster st for fcuks sake

Reaction Score
According to survey I just saw, the best pizza is in Ohio. Cleveland #1, Columbus #2, and Cincinnati just out of the top ten in the country. No Connecticut outlets were mentioned.

And so, speculating about the best pizza in Connecticut might be like debating about the best place to grow bananas in Montana.

Reaction Score
can't believe abate never upped their game. you're on wooster st for fcuks sake
They make solid food across the board - they aren’t trying to compete head to head w/ Sally’s/Pepe’s for apizza. Their subs, Sicilian slices (especially the pepperoni) and their Gramma’s Pizza are very good. It’s like Zeneli’s - it’s the Sally’s/Pepe alternative on the Street.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
According to survey I just saw, the best pizza is in Ohio. Cleveland #1, Columbus #2, and Cincinnati just out of the top ten in the country. No Connecticut outlets were mentioned.

And so, speculating about the best pizza in Connecticut might be like debating about the best place to grow bananas in Montana.
If that's the same survey that had Pittsburgh #5, just disregard it. It was done by a realty company (Zillow?), did not even consider quality ("if a place has been open more than a few years we can assume that it's good"), and city rankings are mostly weighted on how many pizza joints there are per square mile.

We have 771 pizza places in Pittsburgh at last count. There are less than 10 really good ones, and none as good as Wooster St.

Reaction Score
They make solid food across the board - they aren’t trying to compete head to head w/ Sally’s/Pepe’s for apizza. Their subs, Sicilian slices (especially the pepperoni) and their Gramma’s Pizza are very good. It’s like Zeneli’s - it’s the Sally’s/Pepe alternative on the Street.
Their pizza is better than 99% of pizza places, or at least it used to be. Haven't been there in many years.

Reaction Score

Fake news

Reaction Score

Heading to Cleveland next month... Did it detail what places to try? I don't believe it for a second since most of the places I saw online looked pedestrian at best.

Reaction Score

Did this publication claim alaska had the best bbq also

Lol

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Frank Pepe opens in Bethesda’s Westfield Montgomery mall

The space looks great. I can't believe what they did with the new oven!

"A signature pizza of Pepe’s is the White Clam Pizza, which features fresh clams with Pecorino Romano cheese, oil, fresh garlic and oregano.
Other pizzas offered include the Amanti Della Carne (tomatoes, mozzarella, meatball, pepperoni, sausage, bacon, Pecorino Romano), and another pizza with spinach, mushroom and gorgonzola. Customers can also order Pepe’s Original Tomato Pie with mozzarella, and add their own toppings. The Bethesda location is 3,500 square feet and can seat 90. Customers in the dining area can see pizzas being made through a window into the kitchen..."
Pepe-3-1024x768.jpg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
According to survey I just saw, the best pizza is in Ohio. Cleveland #1, Columbus #2, and Cincinnati just out of the top ten in the country.
Sounds about right.
Everybody knows that Cincinnati is justly famed as a chili town!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
in my opinion, this is a regular thing at modern -- undercooked pizza with too much on top of it, so it gets soupy in the middle. if you order it "well done" and even with light cheese and it's as good as any of the other spots around, though.
Before I moved back to New Haven in 2013, I used to call in my order and say, "Burn it." Only once did I ever get a pizza that I considered burnt.

Since living in the city and being able to order all across the city and on any night, I switch to ordering it "very well done" and got a few soggy middle pies. By that time, Sally's had gotten its post-Consiglio wait time & attitude in order and become rather reliably exceptional, so that I've only had Modern about once a year since late 2018. I want it to be great as in decades of memory, but a few disappointments have made me shy.

I've found Olde World solid when I want a Modern-like pie, though a lot of this has been based on takeout-only due to COVID. Dining under Sally's tent has really come through.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom