OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 227 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
closing? i wonder why. let's take a peek at some of their offerings.
Moink
BBQ Bacon | Meatballs | Cheddar | Mozzarella | BBQ sauce
gross.
Smoked Wing
Mozzarella | Dark Meat Buffalo Sauce | Crispy Skin | Gorgonzola
grosser.
Bittersweet
Onion Puree | Fontina | Bacon | Pears | Truffle oil
grossest.
Cruben
Beef Cheek Pastrami | Cheddar | Raclette Spicy Mustard | Pickled Onion
beyond gross.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza
Garlic, mozzarella, pulled chicken, bacon, jalapenos, ranch.
no.
CrunchPie Supreme
oil base, pizza cheese, beef or chicken, cheddar, taco seasoning, topped with shredded lettuce, tomato, sour cream, chipotle ranch, crushed doritos.
as a member in good standing of the dorito mafia, i'll be meeting with
Don('t) do-it, in a public park, to see if a hit is in order, or at least a friendly call to the local dorito distributer informing them to mend their ways. oh, wait! they're closing......

never mind.

Reaction Score

Frank Pepe Pizzeria is coming to Northern Virginia

-> Coal-fired pizza restaurant Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana plans to open a new outpost in Alexandria as it seeks to expand its footprint in Greater Washington.

An affiliate of the Connecticut-based company signed a lease Sept. 20 for about 3,600 square feet at Alexandria Commons, where it will fill a void created when Baja Fresh closed its location at 3231 Duke St. It's not the first Connecticut-based pizza shop to set its sights on the D.C. region — Fairfield, Connecticut's Colony Grill opened in Clarendon last year — but Pepe's generated plenty of buzz when it announced plans in late 2019 for its first area location in Bethesda. That location is slated to open this winter after delays tied to the Covid-19 pandemic. <<-

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That Baja Fresh was a staple lunch stop when I worked down there. Location is the corner of a higher-end strip mall though, so lines out the door might be a bit problematic for other tenants. But hey, a Pepe's and a Colony... I should get another gig down there!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I hit the Bronx last Wednesday for the highly toughted Louie and Ernies. Its a CT 5. Dont bother

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
You can get around the paywall by taking a quick full screen screenshot immediately after the page loads (at least in Firefox). But you cant copy or download it, just read on your monitor (or phone)

Reaction Score

-> Coal-fired pizza restaurant Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana plans to open a new outpost in Alexandria as it seeks to expand its footprint in Greater Washington.

An affiliate of the Connecticut-based company signed a lease Sept. 20 for about 3,600 square feet at Alexandria Commons, where it will fill a void created when Baja Fresh closed its location at 3231 Duke St. It's not the first Connecticut-based pizza shop to set its sights on the D.C. region — Fairfield, Connecticut's Colony Grill opened in Clarendon last year — but Pepe's generated plenty of buzz when it announced plans in late 2019 for its first area location in Bethesda. That location is slated to open this winter after delays tied to the Covid-19 pandemic. <<-

Reaction Score

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score

Colony lasted a few weeks in Avon. That pizza is disgusting. Thirty five minutes to make a pizza is also unacceptable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Had a small pizza contest with my family last night. Got the Ooni to 895 degrees.

My entry was a shrimp boil pizza. Did a small boil in the afternoon w shrimp, andouille, potatos and corn with garlic and old bay. Made a pizza with a garlic, Mayo, Dijon, butter base and put the rest of the ingredients on top with a layer of fontina. Pretty friggin good and unique.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Had a small pizza contest with my family last night. Got the Ooni to 895 degrees.

My entry was a shrimp boil pizza. Did a small boil in the afternoon w shrimp, andouille, potatos and corn with garlic and old bay. Made a pizza with a garlic, Mayo, Dijon, butter base and put the rest of the ingredients on top with a layer of fontina. Pretty friggin good and unique.
If you had won the contest, wouldn't that be the lede?

Reaction Score
Places like Ernie's and Fuoco have been getting rave reviews online. I've been to both and didn't think either was top tier. Both are certainly decent, but not elite. Is the average person that easily impressed?

Reaction Score
Tried Frisco's last week after watching The Gavones review. Those guys are not very good judges of pizza imo .Pass unless you're in the mood for average to below

Reaction Score
Tried Frisco's last week after watching The Gavones review. Those guys are not very good judges of pizza imo .Pass unless you're in the mood for average to below
The Gavones are cheerleaders, that's their schtick. Everywhere they go is "great". When Frank recently posted that Fuoco is Top 5, I was stunned. He knows better than that.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

Are you using pellets? The only issue I have with the Ooni is the pellet hopper is so small it needs to stoked very often when doing multiple pizzas. Any tricks you use? I have pretty much reverted to just using hardwood lump charcoal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

The Gavones are cheerleaders, that's their schtick. Everywhere they go is "great". When Frank recently posted that Fuoco is Top 5, I was stunned. He knows better than that.
That's too bad, because their praise for Grand Apizza in Madison is well-deserved imo.

Reaction Score
That's too bad, because their praise for Grand Apizza in Madison is well-deserved imo.
I've only had Grand in Madison once and it was with Frank. I think he would rate it slightly higher than I would, but it was really good, certainly better than Fuoco IMO. Bufalina is much better than Fuoco or Ernie's IMO, and I doubt the Gavones have ever been there. That's part of what makes his "Top 5" comment hard to take seriously.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you using pellets? The only issue I have with the Ooni is the pellet hopper is so small it needs to stoked very often when doing multiple pizzas. Any tricks you use? I have pretty much reverted to just using hardwood lump charcoal.
Yeah, I use pellets and I find it to be a royal pain when making a few pizzas. I really prep everything I need before hand so when I get it hot, I can go and just stay in the rhythm of cooking and stoking. The last two times I cooked with it were 850 and 895 degrees, but I was in a perfect flow and not distracted.

Are you using charcoal in the Ooni? Does that flame up?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've only had Grand in Madison once and it was with Frank. I think he would rate it slightly higher than I would, but it was really good, certainly better than Fuoco IMO. Bufalina is much better than Fuoco or Ernie's IMO, and I doubt the Gavones have ever been there. That's part of what makes his "Top 5" comment hard to take seriously.
Grand is not New Haven-level, nor Bufalina-level, but it's really good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom