OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 226 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Lendl has lived in Goshen (right next to Litchfield) for the last 30 years. He golf's at Torrington Country Club, good golfer.
Excellent golfer, if a scratch handicap is any indication. Both his daughter’s are or were collegiate division1 golfers. One of them plays on the women’s tour IIRC. Torrington is a beautiful course btw. Maybe the nicest in CT.

“golfers” not “gophers”………

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not true regarding Fairfield County; Bagel King in Fairfield makes Grade A bagels.
Got a dozen before sunrise at the Bridgeport location on Tuesday, some still warm. Required a good bite to break the surface, gave a nice chew, and did a fully creditable job complementing a farm fresh tomato and some leftover whitefish salad from Sunday.

I'm no more inclined to compare them with what I used to get in Manhattan, Queens, or Great Neck than I am to compare Hammonasset or Silver Sands to the Fire Island beaches from when I lived in Bellport.

For as infrequently as I have simple carbs for breakfast these days, I fully enjoyed them, and so did others.

PS - I got good feedback on the brisket, with day 2 better. The matzo ball soup was better than OK, but I've done much better. And a friend brought over a noodle kugel that was a solid contribution to several days of Ashkenazi cuisine for the beloved guests in from where the North, South, and Midwest meet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Got a dozen before sunrise at the Bridgeport location on Tuesday, some still warm. Required a good bite to break the surface, gave a nice chew, and did a fully creditable job complementing a farm fresh tomato and some leftover whitefish salad from Sunday.

I'm no more inclined to compare them with what I used to get in Manhattan, Queens, or Great Neck than I am to compare Hammonasset or Silver Sands to the Fire Island beaches from when I lived in Bellport.

For as infrequently as I have simple carbs for breakfast these days, I fully enjoyed them, and so did others.

PS - I got good feedback on the brisket, with day 2 better. The matzo ball soup was better than OK, but I've done much better. And a friend brought over a noodle kugel that was a solid contribution to several days of Ashkenazi cuisine for the beloved guests in from where the North, South, and Midwest meet.
Not the same owners. Bridgeport location is mediocre. Black Rock Tpke in Fairfield A plus bagels.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@methodology , I had a lovely dinner with Mrs. 8893 at Doma last night. That the pizza was the fourth best of the four items we had is more of a reflection on how good everything else was than on the pizza itself.

Mrs. 8893 is crazy picky about fried calamari and theirs was spot-on. The scallop entree with risotto was also excellent, and the beet salad also very well executed.

I asked the waitress which pie we should get to best experience their pizza and she said the eggplant and ricotta was her favorite and that the pepperoni and hot honey was probably the most popular. We just had eggplant parm two nights ago so we opted for the pepperoni and hot honey. The toppings were all very good--especially the pepperoni--and the pie was perfectly cooked. Nice char on the crust, which was just firm enough with minimal flop. I thought the crust itself was a little lacking in flavor and could have used a touch more tooth, but my daughter just woofed down the leftovers with no hesitation.

I can't remember the name of the place that was there before them, but we thought the food at Doma was an upgrade over that in all respects. The wine list is a little less interesting than the list the other place had, and they were out of the first two bottles we ordered, but we ended up with something just fine. We will be back.

Reaction Score
@methodology , I had a lovely dinner with Mrs. 8893 at Doma last night. That the pizza was the fourth best of the four items we had is more of a reflection on how good everything else was than on the pizza itself.

Mrs. 8893 is crazy picky about fried calamari and theirs was spot-on. The scallop entree with risotto was also excellent, and the beet salad also very well executed.

I asked the waitress which pie we should get to best experience their pizza and she said the eggplant and ricotta was her favorite and that the pepperoni and hot honey was probably the most popular. We just had eggplant parm two nights ago so we opted for the pepperoni and hot honey. The toppings were all very good--especially the pepperoni--and the pie was perfectly cooked. Nice char on the crust, which was just firm enough with minimal flop. I thought the crust itself was a little lacking in flavor and could have used a touch more tooth, but my daughter just woofed down the leftovers with no hesitation.

I can't remember the name of the place that was there before them, but we thought the food at Doma was an upgrade over that in all respects. The wine list is a little less interesting than the list the other place had, and they were out of the first two bottles we ordered, but we ended up with something just fine. We will be back.
Yes Edgar is a fantastic chef, formerly head chef of Elizabeth Cafe in Madison for 20 years. So you know the brunch is good . The scallop entre is one of my favorites along with the pork chop which is one of the best I’ve ever had. The beet salad was pretty much demanded to be on the menu by people who knew Edgar from Elizabeth Cafe as that was a signature salad there

pizza is great for bar pizza but agree with the crust lacking in flavor. Glad you enjoyed it almost ate there last night myself but opted for pasta Cosi

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'so we opted for the pepperoni and hot honey.'
ok, now ur just messing with me.
giving a talk at ben franklin complex at bulldog u a few years back, the posse invites me to chow at the dining room beforehand, where i discover a few types of za on the menu, including salami and honey pizza.
i turn to the big boss, a brilliant dude of italian extraction and say loudly, 'this is an abomination, and you know that this kind of thinking is almost wholly unknown, like chicken with cheese on a pizza, on that peninsula!'
he sez 'ur a weird dude. it's funny what can bug u.'
i sez 'u gonna eat it?'
he sez 'no.'
taste is personal, but like the old saying 'if everrbody jumps off the bridge, will u?' asks, i also say 'no.'
now as to pizza reviews, from yesterday. we had a bit of a crowd for the boston massacre, kinda a spontaneous eruption event. i tell mg, i ain't doing a dang thing to feed these freeloaders, but she encourages me to hit the super. fine. ok. im thinking a bowl of noodles with butter, and water, but 'niceness' infects me, and i find that red baron brick oven is on sale for $3. clutch! i buy a handful, go the extra mile to juice them up with mushrooms, garlic, scamozza, some meats, garlic, etc.
a good time was had by all.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not the same owners. Bridgeport location is mediocre. Black Rock Tpke in Fairfield A plus bagels.
Thanks for the additional info. I thought Bpt clearly exceeded "mediocre," but that's a separate matter.

Do I understand correctly that the Black Rock Tpke Bagel King has connection to the Main Ave Norwalk bagel place that I'd go to in the decade ago range? I liked their bagels, but not the full offering as much as some had hyped .

Upper Black Rock used to be a major 'go to' along a route from East Norwalk or Merritt 7 through Westport & Greenfield Hill to north Bridgeport that incorporated work, exercise, friends, family, and food shopping. All of this shifted to New Haven before Bagel King moved in, and while I still can draw from a lot of food sources there, I've been timed mostly for when Bagel King is closed.

I think you might have provided a resource.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
... so we opted for the pepperoni and hot honey. The toppings were all very good--especially the pepperoni--and the pie was perfectly cooked. Nice char on the crust, which was just firm enough with minimal flop.
This strikes me as something akin to the Bee Sting at Roberta's, which is (was? I don't keep up) in Manhattan & Bushwick and uses sopresatta.

Reaction Score
This strikes me as something akin to the Bee Sting at Roberta's, which is (was? I don't keep up) in Manhattan & Bushwick and uses sopresatta.
Fabio the pizza maker worked in NYC for years before moving to CT a majority of the specialty are his creations he brought from NYC. He had to be retrained for thin crust obviously

very nice guy he’ll make any pie you want if the ingredients are there

Reaction Score
Have seen this for a while and never read or posted but for some reason got me to thinking about pizza back in Bridgeport when I was a kid. Big treat was getting a C&C pizza, was on Connecticut avenue about a block from my house. I was the designated "getter" of the pizza and ran my fastest getting it back home while it was still hot.

Sometimes the flavor is in the memories as much as the pizza itself.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
My friend lives across the street from the Sally's location in Stamford. They have fired up the ovens to begin seasoning, and turned on the neon sign (its bothering him a la the Kenny Rogers Roaster sign on Seinfeld). It shouldn't be long now...

Reaction Score
I see Blind Pig Pizza on Arch St. in Hartford is closing. They're owned by the Bear's Smokehouse people.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Not true regarding Fairfield County; Bagel King in Fairfield makes Grade A bagels.
Hahahahahahaha not even close. If you think anything from any of the Bagel Kings is "Grade A," you haven't lived.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the additional info. I thought Bpt clearly exceeded "mediocre," but that's a separate matter.

Do I understand correctly that the Black Rock Tpke Bagel King has connection to the Main Ave Norwalk bagel place that I'd go to in the decade ago range? I liked their bagels, but not the full offering as much as some had hyped .

Upper Black Rock used to be a major 'go to' along a route from East Norwalk or Merritt 7 through Westport & Greenfield Hill to north Bridgeport that incorporated work, exercise, friends, family, and food shopping. All of this shifted to New Haven before Bagel King moved in, and while I still can draw from a lot of food sources there, I've been timed mostly for when Bagel King is closed.

I think you might have provided a resource.
I don't think that there is a connection between the FFld and Norwalk Bagel Kings, but I don't know for share. To clarify regarding BRT Ffld locaton, I am not advocating for any of their food except the bagels themselves.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey! it's a bloody pizza thread, not no stinkin bagel thread!
keep it up, and our unsuspecting viewers will start to feel like they went to a cheese shop that had no frommage!

take it to the 'sum college girl hoops player got arrested' thread, where it belongs. don't get shot in the head by john cleese- 'will you stop that bloody dancing!'

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't think that there is a connection between the FFld and Norwalk Bagel Kings, but I don't know for share. To clarify regarding BRT Ffld locaton, I am not advocating for any of their food except the bagels themselves.
Yes, that was my overall takeaway, and thus the thanks for your calling it to my attention.

My reference point experience is walking locally or pulling off the LIE to ask, "What's warm?" in response to, "What would you like?" I don't imagine that CT places get traffic enough for such turnover throughout the day, but a 5:30 opening offers the possibility of a fully worthwhile bagel. And I know what to do with what I get.

From here, I'm happy enough to redirect back to the thread's essence after making mention that something with a crust and a chew is much more apropos for a digression than cheese would ever be, even if scamorza got its due here a year ago.

Variations in dough preparation, cooking tools, speculation about the contribution of local water, local & regional chauvanism, controversy over traditional vs. 'creative' flavor profiles, artisinal tweaks by under-the-radar purveyors & home bakers are some of the factors that make bagels - which wouldn't make for much of a separate thread here, but gave me a number if Fairfield County options I never suspected - ft here.

Reaction Score
hey! it's a bloody pizza thread, not no stinkin bagel thread!
keep it up, and our unsuspecting viewers will start to feel like they went to a cheese shop that had no frommage!

take it to the 'sum college girl hoops player got arrested' thread, where it belongs. don't get shot in the head by john cleese- 'will you stop that bloody dancing!'

Yes let’s keep this to a pizza only thread. BTW Jersey has the best bagels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom