OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 194 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Good to know. 11 mins from SIL's house in Westbury, next time I'm there.
Disclaimer: I'm 15 years out of date, so check to see if it still operates the same way.

A grandma slice from Umberto's in New Hyde Park was also always reliable, and I'm generally anti-Sicilian-y (with exception of 14th East Village Artichoke Basille's, which is best thick, cheesy, full-fat flavored pizza I've ever had).

Reaction Score
Wow! This explains it! I grew up in the valley and Pepe's was our family favorite back in the 70s. Living now in NE CT, we've been getting Pepe's from the Manchester location. It was never like New Haven and seemed like it was getting worse as time went by. For that reason and not long ago, we were one pizza away from not going there anymore... A couple of months ago, we decided to give it one more shot and noticed a BIG difference. It was soooo much more like a New Haven Pepe's pie. Not sure when the changes your driver suggested above were made, but his story seems to hold water to me!!
This summer I discovered Roseland Pizza in Derby, posted the experience before. Its up there with the New Haven pies, beats Zuppardi's to me.

Reaction Score
This summer I discovered Roseland Pizza in Derby, posted the experience before. Its up there with the New Haven pies, beats Zuppardi's to me.

My high school girlfriend lived pretty close to Roseland and it was her family’s go to place. It was very delicious!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Disclaimer: I'm 15 years out of date, so check to see if it still operates the same way.

A grandma slice from Umberto's in New Hyde Park was also always reliable, and I'm generally anti-Sicilian-y (with exception of 14th East Village Artichoke Basille's, which is best thick, cheesy, full-fat flavored pizza I've ever had).

Disagree.

Prince St Pizza's "spicy Spring" is the best sicilian'y slice you can get.

Reaction Score
Roseland is very good, but not quite New Haven/West Haven top tier, in my opinion. I recently went to Ernie's in New Haven for the first time. Very good, but not quite in the same league as the Big Three. There is a lot of subjectivity in ranking various pizza places. I have hit Pepe's, Modern, Zuppardi's, Mike's, Tipsy Tomato, and Ernie's in the last 2 months. I have not hit Sally's in over a year. Sally's is next.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Disagree.

Prince St Pizza's "spicy Spring" is the best sicilian'y slice you can get.
The two are close enough to each other that I can bike between them and do a both/and rather than an either/or.
That is, if/when biking in NYC becomes a thing again.

Reaction Score
The two are close enough to each other that I can bike between them and do a both/and rather than an either/or.
That is, if/when biking in NYC becomes a thing again.
I always liked John's/Bleeker St., but don't know Prince St. Pizza - how do they compare?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I always liked John's/Bleeker St., but don't know Prince St. Pizza - how do they compare?
Don't know. @augustwest offered Prince St as a Sicilian option.

John's, when I lived in NYC, always struck me as similar to and not as good as what I love about New Haven pizza, similar to Lombardi's but also not as good. My favorite coal oven NYC pizzas have been Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and Patsy's in East Harlem, but I'm still a CT pizza partisan.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

John's, when I lived in NYC, always struck me as similar to and not as good as what I love about New Haven pizza, similar to Lombardi's but also not as good. My favorite coal oven NYC pizzas have been Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and Patsy's in East Harlem, but I'm still a CT pizza partisan.

Yeah it’s a Sicilian comment . Prince for a regular pie slice is really good NY pie. Johns is great but would be like 9th in new haven for that style. ( 9th in new haven Is damn good)

Reaction Score

never had the harlem patsy’s, but i love squares & turtle bay 2nd ave square is fire. joe’s square is the best evah

Reaction Score
Roseland is very good, but not quite New Haven/West Haven top tier, in my opinion. I recently went to Ernie's in New Haven for the first time. Very good, but not quite in the same league as the Big Three. There is a lot of subjectivity in ranking various pizza places. I have hit Pepe's, Modern, Zuppardi's, Mike's, Tipsy Tomato, and Ernie's in the last 2 months. I have not hit Sally's in over a year. Sally's is next.
I may be biased, but I believe Roseland is better than all of them:)

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Di Fara Pizza on Avenue J was our go-to pizza spot when I lived in Brooklyn... many, many years ago.

Reaction Score
Bufalina dropping a new late fall menu.
D36C0593-E01F-40BB-A369-21CFCE36FE00.jpeg

Reaction Score
Does anyone here remember DelMonico's pizza in New Haven? Old Italian baker, who hand cut thick pepperoni. Sauce, dough made from scratch. Going back to the 80s.

No longer there but I can still taste their pizza. I haven't found similar pies since they closed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Does anyone here remember DelMonico's pizza in New Haven? Old Italian baker, who hand cut thick pepperoni. Sauce, dough made from scratch. Going back to the 80s.

No longer there but I can still taste their pizza. I haven't found similar pies since they closed.
You need to floss more often.

Reaction Score
My wife corrected me the 70's/80's pizza restaurant in New Haven was not Delmonico's but Venice pizza.

Reaction Score
My wife corrected me the 70's/80's pizza restaurant in New Haven was not Delmonico's but Venice pizza.

Venice Pizza was actually on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden (near the New Haven city line). Excellent pizza and would have a place in the greater New Haven Pizza Hall of Fame (vivid memories of their awesome bacon/onion/mozzarella growing up).

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I had sally's white potato pizza and a tomato mozzarella and was a little underwhelmed. It was good but I'd take a hot oil sausage from colony over it easily

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had sally's white potato pizza and a tomato mozzarella and was a little underwhelmed. It was good but I'd take a hot oil sausage from colony over it easily
Yeah I have no idea why they have that potato pie listed among their specialty pies. Our coworker ordered it for an office luncheon when we got takeout from Sally’s a couple months ago and almost the whole pie was left. I threw it out a couple days later because no one even wanted the leftovers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom